• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Sega would be pretty smart to offer Classic Sonic costume DLC. Can you imagine.
o00AX2b.jpg

I'd buy it.

TimmiT

Sonic Xtreme's story:

Dr. Robotnik stands facing the Master Chaos Emerald in the center of the room. All sorts of robotic arm contraptions are drilling and zapping the huge gemstones trying to tap its mysterious power. The flashes bottom-light Robotnik's face as he laughs like a triumphant maniac. After a few moments the Dr. notices something strange. Leaning closer, he looks curiously disturbed as the Master Emerald glitters and clouds within. Suddenly the gem explodes in a flash of light, hurling Robotnik back against the wall next to Knuckles and Tails. The dark room is lit by rapid pulses of black light as the three stare in awe. Cut to the Master Emerald spilling out loads of foggy smoke. Cut to Knuckles and Tails looking curiously at each other.

Out of the gemstone and into the mist glide small flickering lights almost like fireflies. Cut to Robotnik sprawled on the floor, propping himself up, looking exalted and a bit frightened by the spectacle. Six tall shadows materialize and loom large over the Dr., Knuckles and Tails. Truck-in to Robotnik's sweating, shocked look as the shadows draw in and "smother" him.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-...Saturn_-_by_Christian_Senn_-_April_28.2C_1995

Six shadows betray Robotnik before the start of the game? Similar world design? Hmmm.

Bitch, don't steal the posts I make on Sonic Retro.
Sorry I didn't mean that I stole it as well from a different Sonic Retro staff member who mentioned it in a super secret Skype chat.

Dimps is dead to me. I loved Rush too.

Loved Rush even though it already was the ,,just hold right'' type of game. Seems like they really went downhill afterwards. Wtf went wrong with Sonic 4-2, I thought looked it much better than the first episode from trailer? lol dimps :(

RagnarokX

Bitch, don't steal the posts I make on Sonic Retro.
Sorry I didn't mean that I stole it as well from a different Sonic Retro staff member who mentioned it in a super secret Skype chat.

Sonic Retro stole my post that revealed wisps were in the game! :p

Those mushrooms from Sonic XTreme sure look similar, too, but the things in Sonic Lost World look like flowers.

Heh, and Gamexplain sounded like he was just reading my post :p

Tuck

Not all the levels might be spherical. The IGN article said they were focusing on gameplay concepts first and building the levels around it, rather than trying to insert levels into beautifully rendered environments. They mentioned how one level will be similar to those Sonic bonus level half pipes. Just speculation on my part of course but I don't think the Sonic Xtreme ties run as deep as one might think.

Brofield

Quick thread search made me relieved I wasn't the only one who got a sudden Space Jam vibe from that trailer.

Excited regardless. Still need to pick up Colours and Generations, but I've heard nothing but praise for both.

Honestly this visual style fits Sonic perfectly, exactly what I imagine 3D game should look like after playing Sonic 2. I'm so hyped for this game I might go try Sonic Colors.

Taker666

I think the problem visually is that it's far too over saturated.

It seems they just tried to make it as visually close to the original 2D games as possible. Purely an artistic choice.

The grass is oddest thing. It's made up of thousands of flaps of green yet it essentially looks flat in much of the video...if they'd just used blades of grass instead (which they did in the cgi intro) and changed the lighting style.. it would far more visually impressive.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Agreed, I like Generations but modern Sonic is barely even really a Sonic game, as in what the original trilogy that should have set the tone for the franchise. Lots of linearity now vs. open, expansive, levels back then.

Sonic Generations isn't a "real" Sonic game... but then, Mario 64 isn't a "real" Mario game either.

It can't be the same thing, but I think it does a really good job of capturing a similar sense of world traversal and style in a completely different type of game.

It seems they just tried to make it as visually close to the original 2D games as possible. Purely an artistic choice.

The grass is oddest thing. It's made up of thousands of flaps of green yet it essentially looks flat in much of the video...if they'd just used blades of grass instead (which they did in the cgi intro) and changed the lighting style.. it would far more visually impressive.

I think it would look really generic if they went that route. I don't think it looks good in the CG parts.

There are some issues with this technique though, like the lighting is flat on the ground below the grass. Needs some AO. The flaps also should be a bit higher resolution, they have jaggies in those HD pics.

TaroYamada

I didn't say those levels weren't like that. Wave Palace is a great level, it's my favorite in Generations.

What I said was that branches alone don't fix linearity. Branches can be fine, but only if there is interesting content in those areas. If they are just hallways, like several areas in Generations, then it doesn't help at all. That's why the classic level designs work so well, either there are constant path intersections, or the branches are substancial.

That's what I want to see going forward. I'm not saying they haven't done it in the past few games, but it's not at well designed as the classics.

I don't think branches or paths are a good idea at all, Sonic for a 2D platformer, especially at the time had very open ended, exploration-oriented levels in my view. When the switch to 3D came they basically put him on rails which is exactly the opposite of how the 2D games played.

Sonic Generations isn't a "real" Sonic game... but then, Mario 64 isn't a "real" Mario game either.

It can't be the same thing, but I think it does a really good job of capturing a similar sense of world traversal and style in a completely different type of game.

It depends on your view. I'd say depending on how important you consider Miyamoto, M64 is a real Mario game, as he played a significant role in its development. By comparison when Sonic made the transition to 3D in Sonic Adventure, Hirokazu Yasuhara wasn't involved in the development.

None the less, I agree that Mario isn't a "real" Mario game, or maybe I should use the term faithful rather than "real". We'll use the term faithful. Anyways, 2D Mario was a lot more linear than Mario 64 and I always say 2D Mario is 3D Sonic and 2D Sonic is 3D Mario, referring to the open-ended, exploration oriented level design included in both 3D Mario (mostly M64) and the original Genesis Sonic titles.

I miss the feature in both, while I loved Galaxy 2 I'd really love to see 3D Mario return to larger levels on Wii U and I'd also love to see Sonic head in what I view as a more faithful direction.

Sonic Xtreme's story:

Dr. Robotnik stands facing the Master Chaos Emerald in the center of the room. All sorts of robotic arm contraptions are drilling and zapping the huge gemstones trying to tap its mysterious power. The flashes bottom-light Robotnik's face as he laughs like a triumphant maniac. After a few moments the Dr. notices something strange. Leaning closer, he looks curiously disturbed as the Master Emerald glitters and clouds within. Suddenly the gem explodes in a flash of light, hurling Robotnik back against the wall next to Knuckles and Tails. The dark room is lit by rapid pulses of black light as the three stare in awe. Cut to the Master Emerald spilling out loads of foggy smoke. Cut to Knuckles and Tails looking curiously at each other.

Out of the gemstone and into the mist glide small flickering lights almost like fireflies. Cut to Robotnik sprawled on the floor, propping himself up, looking exalted and a bit frightened by the spectacle. Six tall shadows materialize and loom large over the Dr., Knuckles and Tails. Truck-in to Robotnik's sweating, shocked look as the shadows draw in and "smother" him.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-...Saturn_-_by_Christian_Senn_-_April_28.2C_1995

Six shadows betray Robotnik before the start of the game? Similar world design? Hmmm.

That's one of its stories. One of like 4 or 5. The last one, closest to a "final" version of the story, was about Robotnik building another Death Egg that is big enough to pull other planets into its orbit. Tails makes a teleporter to teleport Sonic to the surrounding planets so he can get to the Death Egg and destroy it.

RagnarokX

That's one of its stories. One of like 4 or 5. The last one, closest to a "final" version of the story, was about Robotnik building another Death Egg that is big enough to pull other planets into its orbit. Tails makes a teleporter to teleport Sonic to the surrounding planets so he can get to the Death Egg and destroy it.

Psst. Click the link :p

Checking now.

BTW, there's an issue, I just saw the EU boxes (complete with Sega's logo, not Nintendo's like I expected), and Sonic's model is still very jagged.

I'm concerned, I tweeted sonic_hedgehog about it, (it's the official Sonic twitter), hope I get a response.

Why would it have Nintendo's logo? They made an exclusivity deal, not a publishing deal.

Just downloaded the original video, MUCH LESS COMPRESSED! :O

MAJOR thanks TimmiT! :D

Edit: Here's a screencap:

I'm really not a fan of the image trail effect. They should be less opaque or something.

Anyway, I can't download the video right now. Anyone want to screencap the highlights to see if we can get any more details?

RagnarokX

More people need to see the real version of Sonic Xtreme. Not the crappy Nights into Dreams version that got rejected, but the one the Sega CEO didn't see after storming out on how bad the other versions were.

I remember reading about Sonic Xtreme in Next Generation magazine thinking it looked amazing.

mqdefault.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3sbp8PTwmc&feature=player_embedded#!

mqdefault.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7WxMiDXFvU

I was so bummed when this and Eternal Champions were official cancelled.

Someone is trying to make Sonic Xtreme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-k90htzqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHsie6AQt5Q&list=UUfDV5xinF2VjLd8LSAAfgCg&index=7

Platy

Still think that with the colorfull world and retro badnik designs old chubby sonic would make MUCH more sense

Or at least a middle ground like Sonic CD animation style

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Whether the final boss is the Deadly Six combining, the -almost too obvious- 'Seventh Emerald' Deadly Boss, Eggman, or whatever, I just hope the final boss is leagues better than Generations'.

Hope these are good enough for you. Tried to get new angles and in case there was any doubt that is was gamplay the 2nd and 3rd shots show a single instance of popin.

Yeah, that's great, thanks!

Hmm, some of the details don't look great so far.

Those spikes are really bad and the texture on the ground there is bleh.

I've also noticed the water looks really flat and opaque. Are there going to be any underwater levels? I guess not.

If you have trouble downloading the file, try changing browsers. Had to use IE to do so.

Hmm, that's odd. I'll try that.

Still think that with the colorfull world and retro badnik designs old chubby sonic would make MUCH more sense

Or at least a middle ground like Sonic CD animation style

I'm pretty sure most people consider the CD intro Sonic to be the same as Classic.

RagnarokX

Yeah, that's great, thanks!

Hmm, some of the details don't look great so far.

Those spikes are really bad and the texture on the ground there is bleh.

I've also noticed the water looks really flat and opaque. Are there going to be any underwater levels? I guess not.

Hmm, that's odd. I'll try that.

He's not Classic Sonic. He drowns in ankle high water in 3D parts of levels.

No Problem, also I think what they are going for with those spikes are that it is sharpened wood as opposed to spikes like these,

http://i.imgur.com/Afyc4VF.jpg

Could mean they we will see more Zone specific assets for the Zones.

Right, I could tell they were different. It's just that they look so flat and merge at a perfect line with the ground. It looks pretty cheap.

The actual metal spikes look really nice though. :p

He's not Classic Sonic. He drowns in ankle high water in 3D parts of levels.

That's such a stupid thing. I was hoping they would go away from that.

TaroYamada

Sonic: Lost World
Lost Word = Lost Game
Lost Game = Sonic X-Treme!

The similarities are really striking, both the look of the game and the story, that's for sure.

Also, it was lost on Saturn. A planet. World ~ planet connotation there too.

Top Bottom