• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, What Improvements do you Want to See in REmake 3?

Hobbesian

Banned
I kinda already stated them, in post 29.

Uhh... you said something about the camera perspective that is hard to decipher, exactly (I'm guessing you don't like it)? I wouldn't consider third person perspective a "gameplay mechanic" in-and-of-itself.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What's the time span of RE3? Are people sure that her discovery of him is on the same day?
Sept. 27th
Resident Evil 3 begins (I accidentally put 28th on my previous post).
Brad dies in front of the police station by Nemesis and finds Marvin Fatally wounded inside of the police station. Later, Jill becomes infected with the T-Virus. Goes unconscious

Sept. 28th
Resident Evil 2 begins. Brad is a zombie outside of RPD. Leon and Claire make it outside of Raccoon City.

Oct. 1st
Carlos cures Jill. Defeats Nemesis.

Saber

Gold Member
Uhh... you said something about the camera perspective that is hard to decipher, exactly (I'm guessing you don't like it)? I wouldn't consider third person perspective a "gameplay mechanic" in-and-of-itself.

The case is, the game has more RE4 inspired type of gameplay, which is kinda of free camera view and shot. If this is characterized or not as not a type of gameplay I sincerelly don't care, not my point.

Athena~

Banned
Clothing damages and messy hair. It looks fake in RE2 where they have such neat clothings and perfect hair in a horror environment.

Hobbesian

Banned
Clothing damages and messy hair. It looks fake in RE2 where they have such neat clothings and perfect hair in a horror environment.

Don't be silly. Next you'll asking for one-hit deaths in the name of "realism".

*edit*

Leon's clothes do get super-messy after the sewers section though.

Last edited:

Athena~

Banned

*edit*

Leon's clothes do get super-messy after the sewers section though.

Considering the zombies can easily tear through bones and flesh, it makes no sense for their clothes not breaking off.

This is not some new tech or anything, Soul Calibur, Ken’s Rage, and DOA have done clothing damages ages ago.

They should be pretty much naked at the end of the game. But alas.....

Copy thread from Resetera.
      • They went through all the trouble of updating RE2 into this graphical powerhouse and the environments are no more interactive than the prerendered backdrops of the 20 year old game. It comes across as them needing to use similar tricks to make the game look this game, which is disappointing.

What about you guys?

Damn son.

Fake

Fixed camera god please, remove the assault rifle stupid 100% magazine system, make Nemesis drop rocket launcher instead of weapons pieces, make the choices heavily matters, back to examine itens instead of pictures.

Hobbesian

Banned
Considering the zombies can easily tear through bones and flesh, it makes no sense for their clothes not breaking off.

This is not some new tech or anything, Soul Calibur, Ken’s Rage, and DOA have done clothing damages ages ago.

They should be pretty much naked at the end of the game. But alas.....
Just FYI I was joking about you being silly. It was a reference to some previous idiocy in the thread.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The case is, the game has more RE4 inspired type of gameplay, which is kinda of free camera view and shot. If this is characterized or not as not a type of gameplay I sincerelly don't care, not my point.
Too be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they released an update with an option for fixed camera, the game already has auto aim.
And It would be just how you want it because that that's how it plays.

Fake

I kinda agree, but for this happen in RE3 Jill will need to change her outfit and its a lost cause from both scenarios.

Saber

Gold Member
Too be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they released an update with an option for fixed camera, the game already has auto aim.
And It would be just how you want it because that that's how it plays.

If that happens I could even give it a shot. The game is visually pleasing to me and the atmosphere is great.

Shifty

Just FYI I was joking about you being silly. It was a reference to some previous idiocy in the thread.
Uh, 'scuse me, but I'm pretty sure escalating from 'realism' to 'instant death' is a textbook example of 'argument to absurdity', or 'reductio ad absurdum' for the more pretentious among us.

Talk about previous idiocy. I'll assume that your failure to address my counterpoints coupled with this passive-aggressive bitching means that you have no cogent argument to make at this point.

Last edited:

spookyfish

It’s probably been said, but better dodge mechanics. If you’re gonna face off against Nemesis, the dodging needs to be implemented better.

Diddy X

I guess some of those decisions were made to respect the original game's gameplay, how hard would it have been for capcom to make glass breakable? maybe they wanted to keep it so you would be able to see the guy coming through the window just like in the original. I haven't played the game, just watched some videos but that seems like the most likely reason to me.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Another thing I miss in REmake 2: characters commenting about itens and stuff in the scenario. Was disappointed Claire didn't comment about Chris office for exemple. In previous games the comments were in text, like a point and click adventure.

Honestly, I think the series is all hype now. Remakes or not, the remake of 2 is about 4 hours long each way and while I thought the graphics were great, the overall game is not a patch on the 1998 version.

The game is not scary at all. Even with the original soundtrack, it does nothing for me.

Hobbesian

Banned
I guess some of those decisions were made to respect the original game's gameplay, how hard would it have been for capcom to make glass breakable? maybe they wanted to keep it so you would be able to see the guy coming through the window just like in the original. I haven't played the game, just watched some videos but that seems like the most likely reason to me.

What are you talking about? The original game had load screens between rooms - you weren't even able to interact with enemies in another room visually.

Another thing I miss in REmake 2: characters commenting about itens and stuff in the scenario. Was disappointed Claire didn't comment about Chris office for exemple. In previous games the comments were in text, like a point and click adventure.
Yeah, they definitely dropped the ball all around in terms of immersing players into the world. The game is great at creating a tense atmosphere, and that's it.

What 's strange is that you can tell they had some semblance of a notion that they needed to add some gameplay characterization details from the very beginning, with the characters muttering amongst themselves during quite/tense moments ("I can do this." "Keep it together, Leon."), but not even that is fleshed out enough to really add much to the overall experience.

I don't think RE2 is terrifying at all. It is of course my opinion, but I honestly never jumped once. It is somewhat atmospheric in the dark corridors near the start, but after that, it was just mostly a lot of dull backtracking. And when the jump scares are there, you get a warning sign way too often. When I seen the dogs in the cages all fierce looking, you know what to expect.

Hobbesian

Banned
The game is not scary at all. Even with the original soundtrack, it does nothing for me.

Most people wouldn't call the game "scary". It's more "tense" than scary.

If you disagree that the game's tense, then I'm going to have to disagree. I tried to start Claire B in earnest last night, but just stopped, because I wasn't in the mood at the time to be stressed out by the game's oppressive atmosphere at the time. That might make a bit of a bitch compared to most, but I'm okay with that.

Hobbesian

Banned
I don't think RE2 is terrifying at all. It is of course my opinion, but I honestly never jumped once. It is somewhat atmospheric in the dark corridors near the start, but after that, it was just mostly a lot of dull backtracking. And when the jump scares are there, you get a warning sign way too often. When I seen the dogs in the cages all fierce looking, you know what to expect.

Not sure why you feel the need to keep repeating this; but most horror producers don't really go for jump scares anymore. They might pay homage to them because certain types of people are still affected by them (RE2 Remake obviously has a few), but by and large, the genre has moved past taking jump scares seriously as pillar.

RE2 Remake is all about its atmosphere.

Last edited:
That is cool. I understand why people still like them. But I think from now on, Capcom should make a great sequel and make it way better than 7. Although I am sometimes hard on that game, it was still kind of a good direction to go in. They made it a horror game instead of being a generic shooter, but the DLC caters to multiple groups of fans, and all the Bakers were great villains. Perhaps the other (Molded) monsters were not that great, but at least they were all new and not repeats of the monsters we had so many times before. As much as they are liked, they are out staying their welcome nowadays. There is only so many times you can be afraid of them.

CatCouch

Man, I loved RE2 and would love to see RE3 remade in a similar manner without a lengthy wait. I really like Jill's outfit, too. It most certainly does not need to go. If Capcom redesigns her I hope they give you the option to use her original outfit from the start. I hope her design retains the essence of her original like Ada Wong's outfit in the RE2 remake.

Just once I'd like to see a conversation about women and outfits in games that isn't hostile or passive aggressive... It's okay to like Jill.

Hobbesian

Banned
Ada can at least make a little bit of sense with some head cannon - she's a spy, and as a female, you never know when being a seductress might come in handy. Especially in a god forsaken apocalyptic scenario? Anyways, she keeps it covered up with a trench coat.

But it still distracted me a bit to think about how stupid I'd feel running around the sewers in what looks to be high heels. That's a guaranteed sprained ankle, at the very least.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Deploy the RE Engine on asses. RE always had the best asses. Get in some butt models and scan em' in.

SHYkrEi.gif

Mamma mia :messenger_winking_tongue:.

1b3.jpg

Well, I have to start again because I have no healing items. I am fighting Super Tyrant at the end and when Ada drops the rocket launcher, my health is reading critical. The bastard keeps ending me.

I did not do a good job of being careful with my kit, but it is my first time playing the remake. Well, fourth, but I never got very far during the first few attempts.

Dacon

Banned
I do NOT want Capcom to focus any more on story than they did in the original. This isnt a cinematic action game like the Last of Us or any other modern cinematic game.

Gameplay HAS to come first.

Also, don't fuck with Jill's design. I cannot state this enough.

One of the things i've hated with RE2:RE was the way they handled the story. It seemed they dropped out a lot of important parts just for the sake of making the remaster fast. I hope they handle a potential RE3:RE or CV:RE the way they handled the first game.

The second thing was the enviroments, i understand that making em fully interactive might make the game extremely easy (it is already an extremely easy game even on hardcore), but having no way of climbing a bench or a small pile is just immersion breaking. The same goes for random stuff like chairs not moving or no damage being made on the enviroment.

KiteGr

I'm Glad you asked!
RE3 wasn't nearly as good as RE2, mostly because it was originally designed as a spin-off.
Here's what I would add (Besides Amazing Graphics and Acting).

1. Enhanced beginning!
The original Starts with Jill jumping out of an infested flaming building making you feel that you might have accidentally skipped some cut-scene. I personally would go beyond that. I would give control to the player before the outbreak, perhaps have her have a stroll in the city meeting people on their daily lives, watching the signs. Then have the outbreak happen, seeing the same people dying and turning, as you start from your apartment, hitting you harder seeing each area being destroyed by the chaos.

2. Incorporate some horde mechanic.
As the game takes place mostly outside, it's safe to assume that Jill won't be as safe as Leon or Clair was inside the police station. Have some mechanic where the zombies form hordes, gathering up on places where survivors are. It could have mechanics where you have to bate the horde away to enter some area safely. Since Jill is supposedly much better trained, she could have new tricks to deal with that.

3. Alter the character.
In RE2, each character was altered by the journey and it showed in his/her model. Leon got injured and Claire ditched her vest. Jill in RE3 had little to no changes, and came out the same as she started with those impractical clothes. I would have her start with some coat above her dress that she'll have to ditch at some point, and later have her become more bandaged and bruised as she gets beat up in story sequences. If they feel brave, they could have her break an arm in the later parts and have her look like Eileen Galvin in Silent Hill 4, having new animations, struggling to reload her weapons using just one hand and her mouth. Now THAT would be a person that went through hell, and is the complete opposite the average female character that gets in and out of the adventure as eye-candy.

4. Embrace the branching paths.
RE3 is the point where they began feeling lazy, and stopped offering a second character. That takes away lots of replayability, so they should at least keep the branching paths, and perhaps add more to make each play-through completely different!

5. Add more to Nemesis to differentiate it from the Tyrant of RE2.

Hobbesian

Banned
There's a part of me that wishes that they'd remake every game with a focus on keeping things more grounded and fleshing out the plots better. Just basically retcon the entire series. A lot of it doesn't hold up very well, such as the Wesker stuff and Leon's characterization after RE2. The broad strokes of the ideas I think are fine; I just think they need a reinterpretation for the modern era that won't age as terribly.

Last edited:

wzy

I do NOT want Capcom to focus any more on story than they did in the original. This isnt a cinematic action game like the Last of Us or any other modern cinematic game.

Gameplay HAS to come first.

Also, don't fuck with Jill's design. I cannot state this enough.

This is a bit strange because the early Resident Evil games were all intended to be highly cinematic action games and marketed as such. That specific period in gaming history was all about copying Hollywood and selling games as essentially movies but better. That's why the characters are called "S.T.A.R.S." (they were the "stars" of the "film") and why the fixed camera is so... cinematic. The games were absolutely meant to emulate the experience of watching a horror movie.

They just happen to also be great games, because it was mid-90s Capcom and they were really insanely good at their job back then.

Lino

Neo Member
I agree, they really need to improve textures streaming/filtering and psychics in RE Engine, While RE2 looks pretty good overall the low resolution textures are an eyesore, they even made the game look a tad worse then RE7 somehow

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
This is a bit strange because the early Resident Evil games were all intended to be highly cinematic action games and marketed as such. That specific period in gaming history was all about copying Hollywood and selling games as essentially movies but better. That's why the characters are called "S.T.A.R.S." (they were the "stars" of the "film") and why the fixed camera is so... cinematic. The games were absolutely meant to emulate the experience of watching a horror movie.

They just happen to also be great games, because it was mid-90s Capcom and they were really insanely good at their job back then.

The original Resident Evil games were marketed as action games? This is news to me. My point anyway, is that I dont want long drawn out movie like cutscenes and the game constantly taking control away from the player constantly. Gameplay always came first in the og resident evil games.

Improved AI. I find it easy to cheese the AI by simply running around objects. Mr X wasn't so terrifying once I discovered this.

Changable camera angles. I remember that a handful of people was disappointed that it was TPP prospective and not fixed camera angle. I would like to see a feature where the camera angles can be changed at any time that includes fixed angles for the fans of the classic and TPP/FPP for those that are new to the franchise.

Why can't I stomp down zombies on the ground!? Bring this back!

-MD-

Honestly, I think the series is all hype now. Remakes or not, the remake of 2 is about 4 hours long each way and while I thought the graphics were great, the overall game is not a patch on the 1998 version.

Well, I have to start again because I have no healing items. I am fighting Super Tyrant at the end and when Ada drops the rocket launcher, my health is reading critical. The bastard keeps ending me.

I did not do a good job of being careful with my kit, but it is my first time playing the remake. Well, fourth, but I never got very far during the first few attempts.

You played on easy/assisted mode correct? You basically kneecapped your experience by making the game 1/2 as long as it should be for a new player and stripping all tension away from it.

Drake

My only complaint about RE2 remake is how zombies can take multiple headshots without dying. I'd be cool if they reduce the number of resources the player gets and increase the number of enemies as long as long as they make the zombies go down a little easier.

PapiKong

Banned
My only complaint about RE2 remake is how zombies can take multiple headshots without dying. I'd be cool if they reduce the number of resources the player gets and increase the number of enemies as long as long as they make the zombies go down a little easier.
Thats what the shotgun is for Steve.

GreenAlien

I want them to limit the move-set of the knife. Not played RE2 yet, but I saw a video of someone just knifing all "dead" zombies as a precaution.. and while that is effective, it also makes the whole "is it really dead" thing less exciting..

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Kill" Nemesis like the original 3. You could "kill" Mr X on the original RE2, but not on remake, what the fuck, Capcom? Get's pretty boring running all the time when I have ammo that could do the work

PapiKong

Banned
I want them to limit the move-set of the knife. Not played RE2 yet, but I saw a video of someone just knifing all "dead" zombies as a precaution.. and while that is effective, it also makes the whole "is it really dead" thing less exciting..
The knife can break bro, go play the game.

I want Nemesis to drop goodies when I take him down like in the original.

I know you're supposed to run and that's the whole point, but I wish Remake 2 had given me some incentive to actually fight Tyrant.

Top Bottom