• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh, what happened to all of the Black sitcoms after the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's first few seasons are really good. Really good. Perfect blend of positive messages and humor.

The later seasons went a little dumb with the humor, though. I believe it started in the season that Franklin was introduced.

Yeah later season jumped the shark and the show lost sight of what it was originally about.

I still can't forget how they randomly switched the actress of the daughter and acted like nothing happened.

Fun fact the original actress left the show as her mother wasn't happy with Clair's friend getting pregnant so she pulled her daughter out of the show.

They made a joke about it and they passed it off as Claire doing something with her hair, sort of how they made Little Nicky 4 years older in a new Simpson in Freah Prince. I find it interesting how many black sitcoms made their way to the UK. Also I find it weird how much TV I watched. I recall watching:

Hanging with Mr Cooper (Vanessa was the sexiest woman alive)
Fresh Prince
the Parkers
One on one
My wife and kids
Steve Harvey show
Malcolm and Eddie
Cosby Show
Different world was before my time
Moesha
my cousin Skeeter
Keenan and Kel
I think there was a Jamie Foxx show

I remember watching Smart Guy on the Disney Channel when I was younger.

What would normally be on a TGIF on ABC, or the CW (WB with Michael J Frog[?]), or UPN has mostly ended up on BET, Centric, or OWN.

I'd like to think that there's no point in trying to compete with the prime networks when you can go to the networks that focus on black viewership.

Ideas are probably not being greenlit at the 90s rate. After the success of The Cosby Show, not discounting others before like Good Times, networks might have saw it as a cash cow and you just got a whole golden era of black comedy in the 90s. After which it pretty much dwindled after UPN/WB/CW stopped showing interest.

I think the last ones that were remotely popular was The Game and My Wife and Kids.

But now there's been sort of a resurgence on the prime networks. The fact that The Carmichael Show got renewed for a second season speaks volumes. I think it's a good show. It has that All In The Family feel.

In fact, it's the black version of All in the Family. Also with Blackish, people assumed it was gonna be a problematic show, it's been getting great ratings. It's a staple on primetime tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom