• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite/Worst Black comedies of the 90's/2000's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

I like to watch 'where are they now'.

Mark Curry from Hanging with Mr cooper
But in 2006, while doing laundry, the funny man was caught in a very serious explosion in his laundry room that left him with burns on 18% of his body. After moments of depression and thoughts of suicide due to the accident Mr. Curry was able to pull himself out of it by the help of his fellow comedians, as he shared in a People magazine interview

The little boy from the Hughley show, Dorjan Lyndell Daniels
was arrested in California on possession of marijuana, premeditated murder and gang activity charges in connection with a fatal stabbing.
John Henton

John Henton from the Hughley show
However, in September 2000 Henton starred in his very own horror story when he was involved in a near-fatal car accident that destroyed his left eye socket, shattered both of his legs, broke nine teeth and ripped up his stomach. Henton, who had been drinking and doesn’t remember the crash, was driving at least 100 mph at the time of the accident, which happened shortly after he finished partying with friends and co-stars to celebrate the filming of “The Hughleys” Halloween segment. Henton’s injuries were so severe and deformed his features so badly that his agent went to Henton’s home to retrieve pictures to be used by plastic surgeons to rebuild Henton’s face.

Its funny I was the opposite. I thought Meagan Good was kinda funny looking back then and I may be wrong but I think she had a lisp. Then she grew up of course

Megan Good < Reagan Gomez-Preston

She was probably the big reason why I watched The Parent 'Hood.

Daft Punk

Banned
Nothing will ever beat the episode of Martin where he thought someone stole his CD player and acted like New Jack City with the fake dog. Shit had me SCREAMING.

BriGuy

There are a lot less sitcoms in general these days. Family Matters and Fresh Prince used to be some of my favorite shows back in the day (maybe not the later seasons so much), and blackish isn't too bad either.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I watched Cosby in the '80s and sometimes stuck around for Different World, but I was a kid and didn't understand what college was so I didn't get it.

In the '90s though I caught Martin occasionally. Sister Sister when it came along. Hangin' With Mr. Cooper was great. Fresh Prince definitely. And Family Matters was my show. Oh, and Keenan and Kel of course. Does The PJs count? I loved that show.

I can't remember any more. There's probably more. Maybe some I caught now and then I dunno. Those are the ones I watched normally. I didn't have any that I didn't like. My philosophy was if I don't like it, why am I watching it? Not really many shows I turned off because of that though.

JLynn

Everybody hates Chris is pretty good.

Here's a true fact. Chris' white friend on the show is the voice of Phineas in Phineas & Ferb.

And I'm surprised Living Single isn't mentioned much. Every Valentine's Day I'd post this to FB gaming groups to show them that the voice of Kratos can sing.

Still blows minds to this day.

LionPride

Banned
I loved

Bernie Mac
Cosby

Fresh prince and Family Matters are shows that I didn't hate but I only watched then when I was bored or as background stuff. As I've gotten older I've come to be less cold on Fresh prince

I hated
- everybody hates Chris
- Jamie Foxx show
- Wayans bros
-Martin
- Steve Harvey
- My wife and kids( aside from Franklin. He was hilarious)

I just never really found those shows funny
What in the blue hell is wrong with you

daviyoung

Banned
worst is anything a Wayan has touched

best is the PJs

2490ThePJs.jpg

tearsofash

My parents wouldn't let me watch black comedies. They were pretty racist. I used to catch Martin after wrestling when they weren't paying attention, but that was about it.

Bleepey

I am still surprised at how many of the black sitcoms made their way to the uk. Like the only ones I can think of that I missed were Martin and whatever the fuck Urkek was on.

My Dad wouldn't let me watch a lot of these shows, embarrassingly. I would've watched them all if I could've, but all I managed to sneak as a kid was In Living Color, The Boondocks, Fresh Prince, and when I was way younger Family Matters. It was really frustrating as a kid not being able to watch what I wanted, because I thought a lot of these shows were cool and funny from what I got to see. I did get to watch black sitcoms from way back like Good Times, The Jeffersons, and my favorite: Sanford and Son.

There was that show called Cosby that ran for a couple years. I liked it better than the Cosby Show. No one else did, it only lasted 3 or 4 seasons.

The same thing happened to Roc sadly. They went live to try and keep it going but it still didn't get watched enough.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Living Single is super underrated. I really appreciated the joke in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 2 that referenced it.

A Different World is another favorite of mine, mostly after Season 1.

The Parent Hood was just too corny for my tastes. Every episode was of the "a very special..." variety. I never actually found it funny though.

I used to like Hanging with Mr Cooper, it got cancelled on a cliffhanger though if memory serves right.

I can't stand My Wife and Kids. It's like an attempt to be an edgy Cosby Show. The constant lessons but they're more mean spirited. I'll take The Cosby Show over that, depsitr the fact that the Cosby Show has some majorly boring episodes. Ones where they just sit in the living room and talk about nothing

The Jamie Foxx Show and In Living Color were my favs.

Out of the one's I watched more than a few times, Sister, Sister was my least fav.

Ovid

Martin Season 1-3 would be my favorite. It fell off after that and maybe had a total of 5-10 episodes after Season 3. Obviously, I realized that in reruns and not when it was actually on the air. I really enjoyed The Wayans Bros. Seasons 1-3 too.

I can't really say I disliked any of the shows on that list.

I never watched Second Time Around or My Wife and Kids.

I remember that show. It use to air on BET.

Brinbe

I loved to watch the obvious big ones like Fresh Prince/Martin/ILC/Jamie Foxx. But there were def some good underrated shows too.

Living Single was fucking solid and had a great intro.
In the House with LL was actually pretty good.
The PJs is an animation classic.
Bernie Mac show may be the best of them all.

And if we're counting Chappelle/Boondocks, those two go right at the top.

Ovid

OP, you're missing "Out All Night" starring Patti Labelle. That use to air on NBC.

Also, "Goode Behavior" starring Sherman Hemsley on UPN.

Exile20

OP, you're missing "Out All Night" starring Patti Labelle. That use to air on NBC.

Also, "Goode Behavior" starring Sherman Hemsley on UPN.

I vaguely remember Goode Behavior but I never heard of Out all night and it had in a lot of stars too. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom