• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I hacked Skyward Sword and fixed the shitty controls

BouncyFrag

Playing in handheld mode I remapped the L button as ZR and ZR as L and it works nicely with managing the camera.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Yeah, throwing a bomb works fine, what I'm trying to say is that pressing Y normally now does not swing the sword, it brings up the harp and starts playing it

oh what the heck...alright I'll try my best to figure out what's going, I don't have a Pro controller yet but I'll give it my best shot. I don't understand why it would be any different though, so weird!

EDIT: ok so I was going to buy a Pro controller just to test this but everything is online only cause of coronavirus so I can't do it straight away :(

I find this very puzzling though. What happens when you press the X button? Maybe the two buttons are flipped around somehow.

Last edited:

keefged4

oh what the heck...alright I'll try my best to figure out what's going, I don't have a Pro controller yet but I'll give it my best shot. I don't understand why it would be any different though, so weird!

EDIT: ok so I was going to buy a Pro controller just to test this but everything is online only cause of coronavirus so I can't do it straight away :(

I find this very puzzling though. What happens when you press the X button? Maybe the two buttons are flipped around somehow.
Yeah it's strange, no idea why the pro controller would be acting differently to the joycons - Maybe has something to do with the SL/SR buttons being used in the script?
Pressing X brings the sword out initally, but when pressed again it brings the item out just like pressing ZR, then keeps putting the item away and bringing it out again the more its pressed.

jigglet

Banned
Yeah it's strange, no idea why the pro controller would be acting differently to the joycons - Maybe has something to do with the SL/SR buttons being used in the script?
Pressing X brings the sword out initally, but when pressed again it brings the item out just like pressing ZR, then keeps putting the item away and bringing it out again the more its pressed.

I just published an update, can you please give it a try.

jigglet

Banned
Update seems to have sorted this out :) Altough the gyro reset sound is now playing every time the sword is used, not sure if this is intended.

Great!

As for the sound...you're right I didn't even notice it :) My speakers are so bad.

I could switch it so X is combat, this would get rid of the sound. What do you think?

keefged4

Great!

As for the sound...you're right I didn't even notice it :) My speakers are so bad.

I could switch it so X is combat, this would get rid of the sound. What do you think?
Nah I'd just leave it as is, Its not to distracting haha. This script improves the game immesuarably, thanks again!

jigglet

Banned
Nah I'd just leave it as is, Its not to distracting haha. This script improves the game immesuarably, thanks again!

Also if you ever get annoyed by the sound I've made it completely user configurable now. I've set it to default to X, so be sure to change it to Y if you ever update the script. Here's how you do it (simply press the little gear icon):

yI0lIRh.png

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Yeah, it totally does. This is the way nintendo should have made it in the first place!

Yeah it's embarrassing that some random dude with beginner level programming skills and a few spare hours can do a better job. Bloody hell lol

BTW you should treat yourself to the wireless adapter for the T2 :)

Last edited:

keefged4

Yeah it's embarrassing that some random dude with beginner level programming skills and a few spare hours can do a better job. Bloody hell lol

BTW you should treat yourself to the wireless adapter for the T2 :)
Yeah I really should, I've had the titan two for a while, mainly use it to enable gyro aiming on PS4/PS5 games, never really tried it on Switch before!

jigglet

Banned
Altough the gyro reset sound is now playing every time the sword is used, not sure if this is intended.

I fixed it!

So this is how it works. If you quick tap the button it won't make the sound anymore. However if you hold it down for a bit longer (about half a second) then it will activate the reset gyro sound as normal.

IMPORTANT: to get everything working smoothly I've had to remap the harp button to the left dpad.

keefged4

I fixed it!

So this is how it works. If you quick tap the button it won't make the sound anymore. However if you hold it down for a bit longer (about half a second) then it will activate the reset gyro sound as normal.

IMPORTANT: to get everything working smoothly I've had to remap the harp button to the left dpad.
This just keeps getting better and better haha! Cheers for this :)

jigglet

Banned
keefged4 keefged4 FYI I just published an update where I moved the harp to the L shoulder button instead of the left dpad. This is because it's the same button used to boost while flying the Loftwing...and using left dpad to boost was pretty bad.

keefged4

keefged4 keefged4 FYI I just published an update where I moved the harp to the L shoulder button instead of the left dpad. This is because it's the same button used to boost while flying the Loftwing...and using left dpad to boost was pretty bad.
Awesome, was going to comment about the loftwing issue but you've already fixed it haha :)

jigglet

Banned
Omg I just had a brainwave for how I can improve the sticky radial menus even more. I love this shit, time to get coding...watch this space!

Top Bottom