• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sneaky cops net $18k in fines posing as squeegee guys to nab drivers using mobile phones

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Bullshit. I usually hold my cell phone up by the steering wheel and give it quick glances to proofread while I put all my actual focus and attention to driving. It's no different than changing the radio station...
Bullshit. You can quickly glance at your radio and your brain can quickly figure out where the knobs are for station, volume, stored stations etc without having to focus. That's the equivalent of looking in your rear view or side view mirrors. You're purposefully taking your eyes off the road on adjusting your eyes to see whatever words are being sent to you or you yourself are sending that are apparently so important that you can't wait.

False equivalency... You can't choose to not be high and drunk just like you can choose to not look at the road...
Wait... What?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
How did we survive all those years before cell phones. Seems like drivers were able to get by before without having to send a text or check FB.

And most cars now have text to speech and hands free calling so texting/calling is a BS excuse, just use the hands free option.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Better than someone killing another person because they just can't wait to not text while driving.
Yeah, and that's why it makes sense for moving vehicles, not people who check a text when fully stopped waiting for a light to change.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
First of all, play with your toys in the back yard where they belong. The roads aren't playgrounds meant for your goofy joyrides. Don't be surprised when people who have to go to work don't see your little scooter doing wheelies between traffic...

Yea nah I will use my cheap to run, fuel efficient, low pollution, traffic reducing personal transport vehicle to travel to and from work as much as I please.

And filtering btw is legal in more places than it isnt these days. Funny that.

You are about as stereotypical as a cager gets.

DavidGzz

Yeah, and that's why it makes sense for moving vehicles, not people who check a text when fully stopped waiting for a light to change.

In real life draw distance isn't so short. Cops can see people before they stop, ya know? Also, if your phone is occupying one of your hands already there is a great chance that person is using it on the move. Even so, I so hate having to wait for people to look up when the light turns green. Drop it and drive.

lil puff

False equivalency... You can't choose to not be high and drunk just like you can choose to not look at the road...
I am exaggerratimng a bit there to get you to see, yes. I think it is a false equivalence.

One day, you leave yourself the potential, more potential to make a mistake.

Please reconsider.

lil puff

I just want to add. That "playing with a radio or a windshield wiper" ...

(I'm not sure who plays with these things btw)

...is a further and huger false equivalence versus the engagement that we have on cell phones today and the new access and engagement to instant media that we have. Also, pedestraians are also on the same phones are disengaged. I don't like it. But they do not deserve to be killed or be prone to it. As much as I want to do certain things to them (or thee phone in their hands at that moment.)

BANGS

Banned
Bullshit. You can quickly glance at your radio and your brain can quickly figure out where the knobs are for station, volume, stored stations etc without having to focus. That's the equivalent of looking in your rear view or side view mirrors. You're purposefully taking your eyes off the road on adjusting your eyes to see whatever words are being sent to you or you yourself are sending that are apparently so important that you can't wait.
I can read a short text just as quickly as I can read the radio station dial... You act as though I'm advocating posting on NeoGAF or something while driving... I'm not advocating texting while driving at all, I'm just saying plenty of people can do it responsibly but we're paying for those that can't...

Tell that to the innocent people you kill because you chose to look at your phone instead of the road.
Sure, I'll tell it to absolutely nobody, not a problem :)

Again, when you're drunk, you can't just magically sober up. If I'm texting at a light, I can easily put away my phone when the light turns green...

lil puff

I can read a short text just as quickly as I can read the radio station dial... You act as though I'm advocating posting on NeoGAF or something while driving... I'm not advocating texting while driving at all, I'm just saying plenty of people can do it responsibly but we're paying for those that can't...

Sure, I'll tell it to absolutely nobody, not a problem :)

Again, when you're drunk, you can't just magically sober up. If I'm texting at a light, I can easily put away my phone when the light turns green...
You have quite a way of missing the point. You also seem selfish, insensitive and don't even attempt to understand things, I have noticed.

Have fun with your little phone.

BANGS

Banned
You have quite a way of missing the point. You also seem selfish, insensitive and don't even attempt to understand things, I have noticed.

Have fun with your little phone.
What point did I miss? It seems like your guys' only point is "Lots of people suck at using their phone while sending texts, therefor YOU suck at driving while sending texts, therefor nobody should send texts while driving." which is just complete bullshit...

I certainly do attempt to understand things, but I'm not going to understand bullshit...

Nester99

What point did I miss? It seems like your guys' only point is "Lots of people suck at using their phone while sending texts, therefor YOU suck at driving while sending texts, therefor nobody should send texts while driving." which is just complete bullshit...

I certainly do attempt to understand things, but I'm not going to understand bullshit...

I really hope your selfish irresponsible attitude does not kill anyone else and the ultimate Karma passes you by and you don’t kill a loved one.

You might as well be advocated drunk driving imo. Studies show distracted driving is now more dangerous than drunk driving.

BANGS

Banned
I really hope your selfish irresponsible attitude does not kill anyone else and the ultimate Karma passes you by and you don’t kill a loved one.

You might as well be advocated drunk driving imo. Studies show distracted driving is now more dangerous than drunk driving.
Well that's very mature of you to wish me and my family such fortune, thank you. We will be fine, we're all good drivers who know how to text and drive responsibly. And we've already covered the false equivalency of comparing this to drunk driving. Furthermore, distracted driving is not more dangerous than drunk driving, it's just more common. Most common, basic bitches that you might have an easier time relating to are terrible drivers, but I am not. Every accident I've ever been involved in has been 100% the other person's fault, and it honestly scares me that if one of those assholes happens to hit me at the exact moment I was texting, I'd probably be blamed for the accident by people with horrible logic such as yourself...

TrainedRage

Banned
Good. Distracted driving is a huge problem. I notice it all the time on my motorcycle. These people on the phone don't give a Shit about anyone else's safety. Get them however, I'm fine with it.

I'm sick of almost being killed because some fucking dumbass needs to check instagram.

Top Bottom