• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slate: I Insist You Play Mass Effect as a Woman

SSfox

I played male in all my ME runs. I was actually considering doing a second run with female but nah, quite hard or impossible to make female Shepard looks not too ugly.

And btw nobody give a f**** about the opinion of this slate thing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why are people obsessed with banging tali?! She sound like a teenager and looks like a humanoid robot...

Does she remove her mask when she fuck shepard?!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Femshep performance must be freaking good then because i have always played male Shepard in these games, and male Shepard on full renegade is freaking hilarious at times.
It actually makes me cringe a bit how many people play paragon in these games, knowing what hilarity they are missing by not going renegade.
I kinda wanna go renegade but how are the relations with the squad members doing that?! They all seems good people that would hate a shithead shepard...

The only grey ones are wrex and garrus but i have no interest in romance them...

There is any negative aspect on doing a renegade run?! Like missing quests etc.

Last edited:

Soodanim

A shitty article from a site I’ve never heard of manages to get 4 pages of replies by wrapping an opinion in nonsense so it’s longer than the average tweet. It’s easy to push some people’s buttons.

It does bring up an interesting point though, and that’s how mixed the opinions are on ManShep and FemShep. Depending on who you ask, either voice is amazing or absolutely shit.

Wvrs

With LE I'm playing as FemShep for the first time. She's great, but in ME2 I feel like she's trying too hard to sound like a badass.

But she's solid with most lines and it's a refreshing change. Meer is better with comedic stuff, though.

Why are people obsessed with banging tali?! She sound like a teenager and looks like a humanoid robot...

Does she remove her mask when she fuck shepard?!
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
FemShep is better. That character will always be the female versions in my head.

I don't automatically go for female characters in games I am one of those people that tries to role play and think of a character based on the world and story. But fem Shep just fits.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
FemShep is better. That character will always be the female versions in my head.

I don't automatically go for female characters in games I am one of those people that tries to role play and think of a character based on the world and story. But fem Shep just fits.
Yeah I am the same way. I usually don't go for the female option if it's there, but the FemShep voiceover is just so much better in 1 than the male Shep so I went with that option in my first playthroughs. So by the time 2 and 3 came out that was my Canon Shep.

I still did a male Shep playthrough in 1 eventually, but it was painful. He got a bit better in 2 and 3 at least.

Last edited:

NickFire

I miss the days where people would make these recommendations based on voice acting while leaving out the patronizing bullshit. I can take someone seriously who says they've played both and one has superior voice acting. I cannot and will never take someone seriously who says its ok to be a man.

So boring and so predictable.

Game developers: "Let's give the player lots of choices and options."

Game journalists: "Don't choose based on your preference we insist that you make the choices we want."

Wasn't there also a thing recently stating that Assassin's Creed shouldn't have options and should just have a female only protagonist?

Both voice performances in Mass Effect are just fine.

The whole trilogy seems designed for multiple playthroughs so an article that says "make this one choice" is kind of missing the point of the whole thing.

A better article would be "Remember Mass Effect is designed for multiple playthroughs so be sure to try out both male and female Shepherd to get the full experience."

Maybe wouldn't get so many clicks but it's a better representation of the game.

Last edited:

Wvrs

Won't lie, just reached the Suicide Mission and even though I always played as BroShep when I was younger, FemShep has become the character for me now.

Jennifer Hale is great.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I cannot and will never take someone seriously who says its ok to be a man.
Lol yeah but it depends on the context.

If it’s like “you can play however the hell you want for whatever reason you want, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, you don’t have to rationalize or justify your choice to anybody” then that’s cool.

If it’s like “as a male feminist I feel a pang of guilt whenever I choose a male avatar. But I consulted with my female and non-binary friends and we decided that sometimes it’s okay to affirm your identity by picking male Shepard. We grant you permission in this instance.”…. Then yeah fuck you.

Last edited:
I miss the days where people would make these recommendations based on voice acting while leaving out the patronizing bullshit. I can take someone seriously who says they've played both and one has superior voice acting. I cannot and will never take someone seriously who says its ok to be a man.

In these times of such oppression and persecution of the White American Male, I want you to know that IT IS OKAY TO BE A MAN!

Mabdia

I can't think of anything but "Why should I play as this guy says?".

He ask for something, says a bunch of things and just don't tell why we should play with a female protagonist (I'll not click in the link to read the full article until we had it on achive.org)?

I'll try the trilogy on PS3 to see how good the game is. But I'll play it the way I want!

What age we're living. I mean, is really necessary say it? These clowns makes sound like there is a problem to be a man...

Last edited:

Braag

I've played through ME2 with both genders and found both Mark's and Jennifer's performances to be great.
Some people just have the habit of pushing their own preferences on others.

Good they call playing as a guy "affirming"😂.

I wonder how painful it is to have a drink with that person... Nobody should know because they know better than to invite that kind of person for drinks after a whole week of working with them.

Top Bottom