• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

Mr_D_

Banned
bRm9OV4.jpg

Really frustrating that its not up as cross buy at the moment, as I still can't play it on my Vita unless I double dip... Looking at the devs twitter page they are working with Sony to resolve this, I hope it gets resolved asap as I was hoping to play it today as I'm not at work, so it'd be the perfect time to sink my teeth into the Vita port. Oh well, back to impatiently waiting some more!

sucks that game is already out in stores but i still don't have my Kickstarter backer key for the Vita :E would finally like to play the game i backed :p

So, not sure if anyone here has played the Vita port yet. I'm still waiting for the Euro cross buy issue to be fixed, which should be fixed "today" according to Twitter, Doesn't really matter at the moment though, as there is a glitch in one level where a switch (which triggers a lift) is not present, making progression impossible. The devs responded via Facebook that they are fast tracking a patch, but its a pity that the game launched with these issues :( I was so hyped to play it this weekend...

Mr_D_

Banned
Copied from Facebook

PS Vita Update
Hi guys, we are aware of a bug which may stop progression in the Highlands Tower. You are still able to play through Blood Grounds, Blood Tower, Wolf Woods, Wolf Tower (run right once in the Hub) and Highlands but there is a switch missing in the Highlands Tower. This bug is only present in PSV version and we have no idea how it was missed during QA, but more than likely something to do with day one patch we released to fix the save data bug. The patch will be submitted ASAP, given timelines we estimate 3-5 days! Thanks and hope you are enjoying the game up to this point, we are really happy with how the Vita version looks and plays, (other than this), we hope you are too!

Cross Buy should be fixed this week too!

Regarding KS keys we were waiting for the patch before we sent the keys out so you have a fully working game :) Also we are still waiting for Sony to deliver EU keys!

Mr_D_

Banned
There's a bug which potentially stops progression, meaning no keys have been distributed so far, be it to backers or the press.

yeah no press or backers have received keys. The patch is booked in with both regions, looking like America might be approved first

kinggroin

Banned
Not sirprised at the issues, the PC versioj launcj was an abomination. The game was released partially finished!

It's nostly fine now, but it took a couple months

More impressions please. How does it play like?

I guess the closest comparison tonally and in terms of gameplay is Castlevania. You spend your time battling skeletal soldiers, clawed were-beasts and flying medusa heads, and there are some pretty awesome bosses as well. The protagonist (I forget his name, but he is not called Slain) has a fairly small but well-defined repertoire of combat moves - he can backdash, can jump + slash, can constantly swing his sword in a two-piece combo, can hold for a charge attack, can block, can parry + riposte if he times that block perfectly, can shoot a magic attack, and can use up all his magic power and do a more powerful magic attack which hits every enemy on screen (I think he gets different weapons later too). Level design is pretty straightforward so far, mainly being about going to the right, occasionally getting locked in monster rooms and hitting switches to open doors or activate elevators. The combat although simple is really fun, and I love the art style so much. It has beautiful pixel art and looks like 1980s heavy metal artwork come to life. I got it for £5 yesterday and that feels like an absurdly good price.

AEREC

Any word on the frame rate (is it a perfect 60FPS) and is it native res? I'd check myself but for whatever reason its not out until tomorrow in Europe so I'm just sitting here impatiently in the meantime!

Would like to know about the vita performance as well...is it pretty much on par with the PC\PS4 versions?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I guess the closest comparison tonally and in terms of gameplay is Castlevania. You spend your time battling skeletal soldiers, clawed were-beasts and flying medusa heads, and there are some pretty awesome bosses as well. The protagonist (I forget his name, but he is not called Slain) has a fairly small but well-defined repertoire of combat moves - he can backdash, can jump + slash, can constantly swing his sword in a two-piece combo, can hold for a charge attack, can block, can parry + riposte if he times that block perfectly, can shoot a magic attack, and can use up all his magic power and do a more powerful magic attack which hits every enemy on screen (I think he gets different weapons later too). Level design is pretty straightforward so far, mainly being about going to the right, occasionally getting locked in monster rooms and hitting switches to open doors or activate elevators. The combat although simple is really fun, and I love the art style so much. It has beautiful pixel art and looks like 1980s heavy metal artwork come to life. I got it for £5 yesterday and that feels like an absurdly good price.
This corresponds to my views on the game (I beat it). The protagonist is called Bathoryn btw and yes he does get 2 more weapons later.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It runs well on vita, but i'm stuck at the tower(i don't know the name) because the big skeleton always gets me lol.

Alric

So any other Vita Kickstarter Backer still waiting on their keys? I know last week they were talking about waiting until some bugs are worked out before sending out the keys but damn, I want to get my key hopefully soon.

Mdk7

The game is far from perfect, yet it's still fun and enjoyable (yes, even despite those fucking ghost children, my god what a pain in the ass).
For 5€ it's a steal, don't hesitate to buy it if you're interested.

Is it finally cross-buy now in the EU ? Game is 5€ on PS4, 15€ on Vita...

Still not fixed as far as I know, someone is really dragging their feet over it... But its still impossible to complete anyway until the glitch in one level is patched so I've lost any interest in playing the Vita version until its actually fixed.

kizito

Still not fixed as far as I know, someone is really dragging their feet over it... But its still impossible to complete anyway until the glitch in one level is patched so I've lost any interest in playing the Vita version until its actually fixed.

Oh, crap :/ Thanks for the answer, I heard the game wasn't very long, so feels like 15 € might be a little bit expensive, but the glitch thing and no cross-buy are definitely putting me off.

Oh, crap :/ Thanks for the answer, I heard the game wasn't very long, so feels like 15 € might be a little bit expensive, but the glitch thing and no cross-buy are definitely putting me off.

Sounds like the cross buy might be fixed by the weekend (just in time for the PS4 price to rise back to normal price...). Only thing I'd suggest is maybe buy the PS4 version for cheap now and when cross buy is fixed you SHOULD get the Vita version when its fixed.

This corresponds to my views on the game (I beat it). The protagonist is called Bathoryn btw and yes he does get 2 more weapons later.

I forgot to say thanks for the impressions previously. Good review you wrote on Steam.

I haven't had a chance to play this the last couple of nights as I'm trying to finish Mad Max before The Last Guardian comes out next week. If they could hurry up and fix cross-buy in Europe that would be perfect for me.

Mdk7

Still having fun with this.
It can be pretty fucking brutal and honestly almost frustrating, but you always want to get better and go past that fucking boss or set piece, no matter how many dozens of lives you've lost.
That to me is a pretty big merit.

Philxor

I love the look of this, but am just so awful at 2D Metroidvania-style games. I don't think I'd get to or past the first boss :/

I love the look of this, but am just so awful at 2D Metroidvania-style games. I don't think I'd get to or past the first boss :/

It's not Metroidvania at all though (unless that changes later in the game?). In structure it appears more like the original Castlevania (which is basically just left-to-right progression), or even Golden Axe.

It's not Metroidvania at all though (unless that changes later in the game?). In structure it appears more like the original Castlevania (which is basically just left-to-right progression), or even Golden Axe.

Nope, it never ends up being a Metroidvania game. You get to pick which levels you tackle after the second level but that at most falls in line with feeling more like Mega Man. I'd say the comparisons to pre SOTN Castlevania is right on the money. Its tough but I never felt it was unfair. All the bosses can be beaten while taking no damage surprisingly easily and even doing a no mana run is not too difficult bar a couple of choke points. Only thing I still can't do is beating the last boss in 3 minutes or less (all three phases). I'm fairly certain I can just use the cloud to upload/download saves to cheese the no death run.

Loving this game so far. Picked it up based on general recommendations made in this thread.

I'd heard a lot of bad things honestly, things like the games hitboxes were a bit janky, and stuff like that, even after the Back from Hell update which was supposed to fix a lot of that stuff, but I haven't found any issues in my three levels so far.

The game is a lot slower than most games of its type though, and you do have to think about things like where the enemy is striking when you parry. Something that got me for a while was when an enemy did a vertical swing down onto my head, it wouldn't parry it if I was too close, even if I was facing the enemy. It's because I need to actually make the animation physically connect with my block for it to work, so there's some things like that you wouldn't expect in this type of game, but that doesn't make it bad.

It's just a game that doesn't convey it's mechanics as explicitely as other games of it's type. On Shovel Knight I always know what to do, but on Slain you have to think a little more 'how do I beat this', you have more options, parry, sword parry, kite and back dash, etc. Thus far everything has felt fair and though the the game does have a laugh and kill you with a cheap trick once in a while, it always does that right next to a checkpoint. Checkpoints are also well placed and frequent enough to afford experimentation, so when I do die or get stuck, it's not frustrating.

Having a great time so far, recommended.

You know what I really appreciate about this game? The linearity and simplicity of it. I can stop at any checkpoint and not play for a while, then come back weeks later and not be lost on where I'm going or how to play. It seems like a lot of indie platformers want to be metroidvanias, or have puzzle elements (which tend to build in complexity, the details of which can be forgotten if you take a long break). Not that those aren't good games too, but sometimes I just want something I can play a little here and there.

kizito

Sounds like the cross buy might be fixed by the weekend (just in time for the PS4 price to rise back to normal price...). Only thing I'd suggest is maybe buy the PS4 version for cheap now and when cross buy is fixed you SHOULD get the Vita version when its fixed.

Bought it, gonna make a review of performance on Vita as soon as it gets cross-buy.

Bought it, gonna make a review of performance on Vita as soon as it gets cross-buy.

It might be fixed December 5th (or never). I saw this popped up on the store today:
http://tinyurl.com/zxe9bsn

Its a PS4/Vita bundle of Slain that's due out on the 5th. Makes me wonder if cross buy will actually be fixed or whether only people who purchase this bundle will get access to both versions. I've tweeted the dev to get confirmation on this.

Mr_D_

Banned
PS Vita

December 5th for Cross Buy fix in EU and patch for NA & EU is now deployed. Enjoy/

KS Backers getting keys tomorrow!

Cross buy is fixed on the Euro store finally. There is a Vita/PS4 bundle that can be added for free if you own the PS4 version of the game. Will download tonight and write up a comparison between the two versions.

Ok, downloaded Slain onto my Vita along with the patch that should fix one that one game breaking glitch and my opinion isn't close to positive.

Bottom line, the port is garbage, looks damn nice but plays like shit. It feels like the frame rate maxes out at about 20FPS and it CONSTANTLY stutters, somehow I can still counter enemy attacks but not with 100% success (that's going to make certain no damage boss trophies next to impossible). Only played the first half of the first level and to be honest I can't be more disappointed than I am now. I love the PS4 port, its silky smooth and looks amazing, its probably one of my favourite action games of the year, while the Vita port looks poised to potentially even beat Firefly Diary as my most disappointing Vita game I played this year (which is some achievement in itself). So buyers beware, don't buy unless you have a PS4 to play the game on.

I wonder if there is any chance for a performance patch? Get it up to 30FPS without stuttering and I'd be satisfied. Not perfect, but it'd be better than it currently is that's for sure.

Ok, downloaded Slain onto my Vita along with the patch that should fix one that one game breaking glitch and my opinion isn't close to positive.

Bottom line, the port is garbage, looks damn nice but plays like shit. It feels like the frame rate maxes out at about 20FPS and it CONSTANTLY stutters, somehow I can still counter enemy attacks but not with 100% success (that's going to make certain no damage boss trophies next to impossible). Only played the first half of the first level and to be honest I can't be more disappointed than I am now. I love the PS4 port, its silky smooth and looks amazing, its probably one of my favourite action games of the year, while the Vita port looks poised to potentially even beat Firefly Diary as my most disappointing Vita game I played this year (which is some achievement in itself). So buyers beware, don't buy unless you have a PS4 to play the game on.

I wonder if there is any chance for a performance patch? Get it up to 30FPS without stuttering and I'd be satisfied. Not perfect, but it'd be better than it currently is that's for sure.

Digerati ports haven't been great on Vita in the past. Paranautical Activity wasn't great either and that didn't get patched.

Still, had a lot of fun playing it!

Top Bottom