• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

Ezalc

I was really interested in the game before launch and you can count me in with the people that chose to wait on buying this.

That all said, that new trailer looks great and the art and music is still as awesome looking. I'll definitely be looking into getting this soon. Hope this relaunch is everything you guys originally wanted this game to be and that it turns people's views on it from before around.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
NOBODY IS GIVING OUT CODES

These last few posts read like some sorta social experiment.
I've got a code that I've offered via PM to Echelon79 but have yet to hear back from them. They were the first to mention a code. I'll message them and tell them if I don't hear from them within 24 hours of my prior message I'll offer it in here.
Edit: They just claimed it, but hopefully some others will make with codes for folks. Definitely worth the cash though, guys.

What's the general consensus on the Back From Hell? I've never heard of this till now, and it looks pretty awesome.

(edit)... a free code would be greatly appreciated!

Zetta

Console date announcements coming very soon. We wanted to make sure we could get the PC version fixed up first! Which we did. So console next!

Awesome to hear this, I've been wanting to play this for some time now but am holding out for the ps4 version.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What's the general consensus on the Back From Hell? I've never heard of this till now, and it looks pretty awesome.

(edit)... a free code would be greatly appreciated!

I saw a few on the steam thread saying the game handles much better and the enemies react to the attacks how they should. It seems the game improved a lot by the looks of things.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
40% discount on Humble Bundle and you get an extra copy to give away to a friend or anyone you want really. That's dope. No idea if this will change soon but I already got mine and gifted my key via modbot.

Ibuki

Banned
That is crazy, is it supposed to be giving an extra copy?

I love the art in this game, looking forward to trying it soon with the overhaul.

Oh shit, i had my eyes like crazy on this game but withheld my purchase when reviews went out. Glad i waited. Bought it now and gave my extra code who'd probably appreciate this game.

Beat Slain: Back to Hell after more than 6 hours of near-
constant-
death experiences, and was quite pleased with the experience. The final boss was pretty cool, too, but not as difficult as some of the previous bosses. Congratulations on turning this game around after the catastrophic launch!

However, I do have some minor complaints / bugs:
  • The "You died" screen should allow me to restart instantly, but currently forces you to wait a few seconds before you can mash your way back to the game. Don't make me wait, I'd rather play the game.
  • You have to sit through boss dialogue every time you try the battle, resulting in a large amount of point-less mashing to skip through dialogue.
  • On top of that, the dialogue needs another pass. In several cases, spaces were missing between words, periods were missing at the end of sentences, and such. For example, the
    Banshee Queen
    says that "It is so quietmy babies they have Finally stopped crying."
  • The "Press attack to honor the Horned God" text should probably say "Hold attack ...". First time around, I just pressed attack, and not much happened. Might just be me, though.
  • There were a few instances of lingering hurtboxes. For instance, I got killed by a mashing trap in the
    sewer
    , while the trap was resetting (this only happend once, despite touching plenty of those traps this way), and the spiked traps in the
    sewer
    also seem to linger longer than they are visible.
  • It is possible to get stuck at the boss-fight with the
    Hogre
    fight. This happened when its
    death from the sky attack caused it to land in the flame-pillars bordering the area.
    The boss died, was catapulted into the sky, and I got stuck with a dialogue window. I could however just reset to the last check-point and try again.
  • Killing ice golems with a charged attack caused unusual visual slow-downs (compared to killing similar enemies). I have a GTX 970, so that seems a bit surprising.
  • Acid
    traps in the
    sewer
    cause immolation on death, which is a bit odd.

Mr_D_

Banned
Ucchedavāda;212392002 said:
Beat Slain: Back to Hell after more than 6 hours of near-
constant-
death experiences, and was quite pleased with the experience. The final boss was pretty cool, too, but not as difficult as some of the previous bosses. Congratulations on turning this game around after the catastrophic launch!

However, I do have some minor complaints / bugs:
  • The "You died" screen should allow me to restart instantly, but currently forces you to wait a few seconds before you can mash your way back to the game. Don't make me wait, I'd rather play the game.
  • You have to sit through boss dialogue every time you try the battle, resulting in a large amount of point-less mashing to skip through dialogue.
  • On top of that, the dialogue needs another pass. In several cases, spaces were missing between words, periods were missing at the end of sentences, and such. For example, the
    Banshee Queen
    says that "It is so quietmy babies they have Finally stopped crying."
  • The "Press attack to honor the Horned God" text should probably say "Hold attack ...". First time around, I just pressed attack, and not much happened. Might just be me, though.
  • There were a few instances of lingering hurtboxes. For instance, I got killed by a mashing trap in the
    sewer
    , while the trap was resetting (this only happend once, despite touching plenty of those traps this way), and the spiked traps in the
    sewer
    also seem to linger longer than they are visible.
  • It is possible to get stuck at the boss-fight with the
    Hogre
    fight. This happened when its
    death from the sky attack caused it to land in the flame-pillars bordering the area.
    The boss died, was catapulted into the sky, and I got stuck with a dialogue window. I could however just reset to the last check-point and try again.
  • Killing ice golems with a charged attack caused unusual visual slow-downs (compared to killing similar enemies). I have a GTX 970, so that seems a bit surprising.
  • Acid
    traps in the
    sewer
    cause immolation on death, which is a bit odd.

Great feedback here! Thanks a lot. And thanks to everyone else posting feedback and thoughts! Keep them coming. There's also a thread for bugs on Steam...will post here too http://steamcommunity.com/app/369070/discussions/0/353915309352468427/

Mr_D_

Banned
A new update is now ready and has been uploaded to Steam.

• It mainly consists of fixes for bugs that have been found over the past couple of days:
  • The Sewers checkpoint just beyond the Whip wielding Plague skeleton now works.
  • The prerequisites for the achievements "Start As You Mean To Go On" and "Thorn in My Herbicide" were mixed up. This has now been fixed.
  • Fixed the bug which prevented you from being able to change weapon after the wolf run section.
  • Fixed the bug which caused problems entering a stage from the Hub area when using keyboard controls.
  • When a pushable block is pushed over an enemy corpse, it will no longer jump up on top of the block!
  • Cursed Souls that smash out of windows in Old Town now steal mana from you.
  • The walls of light that block the path behind you in Old Town now work properly.
  • Fixed a bug which meant that very occasionally the player's attack could hit the same enemy twice in a single swing.
  • Fixed a few wonky collision boxes on certain obstacles / platforms.
  • Spike traps in the sewers now have a fairer collision box that doesn't linger.
  • Hogre can no longer commit suicide by sky diving into his own flame pillars! He's also gotten a bit quicker with his axe attack.
  • Fixed the distant background archways in Castlebridge so that they no longer appear to be floating.
  • In game text now has a dark shadow, improving its visibility against certain backgrounds.
  • Fixed some errors in the dialogue.
  • New feature: You can now skip the full duration of the "You have been Slain!" death screen by pressing the Attack / Jump / Pause button.

The Xbox One pad issue will be looked at soon and we'll get a fix out for that when we can.
Please continue posting any problems you find on the discussion board and hopefully we'll be able to fix them!

I'm really loving slain! So far. Im beyond ecstatic that it works great with a snes-usb adapter!

GAF I have a spare key. PM me why you deserve it and your steam name and I'll gift it when I get home!

Sanctuary

40% discount on Humble Bundle and you get an extra copy to give away to a friend or anyone you want really. That's dope. No idea if this will change soon but I already got mine and gifted my key via modbot.

Was really looking forward to this game, but then decided not to grab it initially due to all of the problems with it. Just picked it up now, although how are you supplied with an extra copy? I didn't see anything listed for that, and it's also not in my email.

A new update is now ready and has been uploaded to Steam.
You are certainly quick with the fixes.

• The Sewers checkpoint just beyond the Whip wielding Plague skeleton now works.
At least I'll be able to say that I beat the Sewers on hard-mode!

Was really looking forward to this game, but then decided not to grab it initially due to all of the problems with it. Just picked it up now, although how are you supplied with an extra copy? I didn't see anything listed for that, and it's also not in my email.

It'll be added to your Steam inventory once you activate the key, provided that Humble still had any of the first batch of keys left.

Sanctuary

Ucchedavāda;212452480 said:
It'll be added to your Steam inventory once you activate the key, provided that Humble still had any of the first batch of keys left.

Thanks. I only had three people that I was going to suggest this to anyway, and one of them is over at my place enough that he could just play it here if it interests him.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I had originally been watching the game via my wishlist on Steam. Being 44 years old, I grew up on the old-school 2D action/adventure/beat em' up games like Golden Axe, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Rastan(remember that one? The first stage music is God-like), Black Tiger, etc.

Then the game released and the reviews starting coming in and I almost cried.

However, as many others have said, the developers didn't give up. They went back to work, listened to feedback and fixed the game.

After reading that they came through on their word they'd fix the game, I bought it last night on Steam.

First thing I did was go into options and put the crt scanlines on! :)

Freaking amazing game! Controls are tight, the graphics are colorful, detailed and simply bad ass! The soundtrack-METAL(of course).

The only issue I have with the game is that the special attack charge up is a bit "wonky" to me. Though that's probably getting fixed now too from feedback. :)

Great job to the developers.

Fellow gamers, I'd ask that you try to support the developers and buy the game if you can afford it. They deserve the support and gave us a damn great throw back 2D action/slash em adventure game!

I sincerely hope they give us some DLC(new areas/levels) or a sequel. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they attempted a 2D beat em' up game in the vein of Final Fight and Streets of Rage!

Slain-highly recommended!

Also, a quick plug for another indie(basically one person) developer who created his own engine.

If you love Slain, I think you'll love the upcoming....

Corpses N Souls

http://www.corpsesnsouls.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxBI8SetBY

CNS_Mar_2015_1.png

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I had originally been watching the game via my wishlist on Steam. Being 44 years old, I grew up on the old-school 2D action/adventure/beat em' up games like Golden Axe, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Rastan(remember that one? The first stage music is God-like), Black Tiger, etc.

Then the game released and the reviews starting coming in and I almost cried.

However, as many others have said, the developers didn't give up. They went back to work, listened to feedback and fixed the game.

After reading that they came through on their word they'd fix the game, I bought it last night on Steam.

First thing I did was go into options and put the crt scanlines on! :)

Freaking amazing game! Controls are tight, the graphics are colorful, detailed and simply bad ass! The soundtrack-METAL(of course).

The only issue I have with the game is that the special attack charge up is a bit "wonky" to me. Though that's probably getting fixed now too from feedback. :)

Great job to the developers.

Fellow gamers, I'd ask that you try to support the developers and buy the game if you can afford it. They deserve the support and gave us a damn great throw back 2D action/slash em adventure game!

I sincerely hope they give us some DLC(new areas/levels) or a sequel. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they attempted a 2D beat em' up game in the vein of Final Fight and Streets of Rage!

Slain-highly recommended!

Also, a quick plug for another indie(basically one person) developer who created his own engine.

If you love Slain, I think you'll love the upcoming....

Corpses N Souls

http://www.corpsesnsouls.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxBI8SetBY

CNS_Mar_2015_1.png
Loved hearing more impressions from another old guy! Corpses 'N Souls looks legit. Reminds me of some old stuff from my Tandy 1000 HX (without that glorious Tandy color!). They have a Facebook page to follow? I don't wanna lose track of this and they aren't on Steam yet evidently.

jfoul

Does this game not support the Xbox One controller with the Win 10 Anniversary Update? Right now it's not working.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Still looking for a spare key if anyone isn't using theirs, can toss in a few quid over Paypal if you'd like.

EDIT: No longer needed.

smisk

Can't believe I haven't heard of this game until now! Looks beautiful and the devs seem great! Definitely going on my wishlist.

drotahorror

Game no longer works with a XB1 controller for me after Windows 10 Anniversary update.

Other games do, I've checked:

The Witcher 3
DooM 2016
Rampage Knights
Shovel Knight
Assault Android Cactus (unity engine)

I can check more but everything seems cool in other games. Before the Anniversary update my controller would function decently for the most part.

ekgrey

Game no longer works with a XB1 controller for me after Windows 10 Anniversary update.

Other games do, I've checked:

The Witcher 3
DooM 2016
Rampage Knights
Shovel Knight
Assault Android Cactus (unity engine)

I can check more but everything seems cool in other games. Before the Anniversary update my controller would function decently for the most part.

It works for me, but requires the analog stick rather the D-pad. Definitely not ideal. I am also stuck at a part that I am not convinced can be beaten. Has anyone here finished after the BfH update? I'm wondering if it's glitched.

ekgrey

I am, yes. I can't get the wireless adapter to work in any games at all now, but plugged in I've had no problems. Played it yesterday evening and frequently over the weekend after downloading the update late last week.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just put an hour into it and it's not bad. I like the visuals and the soundtrack and the combat while not amazing does the job, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so "hard" though, not really sure that's the word, maybe frustrating is better? I'm not sure why all the ledges had to be buttered but I definitely slip off those bastards to my death often, maybe I should switch to using the D-pad instead, the thumb stick movement feels very sensitive.

I would definitely like to see the dialog voiced in Slain II though, I've never been a fan of text dialog. I really do feel solid voice work adds something to any game, and seeing as there's not much dialog overall it wouldn't be that expensive I would assume.

I'll definitely finish it over the next day or two though, there's an enjoyable experience to be had I feel and I'm looking forward to playing more which is a good sign. I've read it's only 5 hours long which is fine by me, after just finishing Resident Evil 6 at 22 hours which overstayed its welcome by about 5 hours I'm more than happy to play a short game.

Top Bottom