• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull And Bones Breaks Records At Ubisoft

StueyDuck

why do people think player engagement is a bullshit bechmark ?
Because the numbers can be easily manipulated and swayed in anyway the company wants.

Where as a sale is a sale, you can't fake that number.

To put it very simply, 5 people play. One guy plays 1000 hours, the next 4 barely put in 10 minutes. You are still going to average out at ~200hrs per player. Is that an accurate number to you for "every players engagement"

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Because the numbers can be easily manipulated and swayed in anyway the company wants.

Where as a sale is a sale, you can't fake that number.

To put it very simply, 5 people play. One guy plays 1000 hours, the next 4 barely put in 10 minutes. You are still going to average out at ~200hrs per player. Is that an accurate number to you for "every players engagement"
This. Also revealing when companies don't provide any sales numbers.

At least if you know your game has sold 1mil copies in launch month for examle you can guesstimate $60-70mil etc... revenue based of that sales figure.

Ozzie666

9/10 dentists is a trademark company and doesn’t mean what people think it means. Engagement metric is just as useless.

T-0800

9/10 dentists is a trademark company and doesn’t mean what people think it means. Engagement metric is just as useless.
Interested Go On GIF by reactionseditor

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We've all learned from Xbox that engagement means nothing. What I would like to hear is hard sales data. If they were proud of that, we would be hearing it.

I'm now imagining the small group of players who are on this wreckage 8-10-12 hours a day (to bring the average up that high) and *shivers*.

Fredrik

4 hours on average isn't particularly impressive without knowing how many people are actually playing it.
We also don't know how they arrived at those numbers. For example, they could be ignoring all the people who aren't playing the game any more (0 hours a day) in order to make the numbers look more impressive.
Hmm okay some sneaky tweaking of stats perhaps.

Haven’t played this but the average playtime for me in general is probably 2 hours. More than that and the game is good enough and addictive so I sacrifice my sleep to play. It’s rare. Last 5 years it’s been No Man’s Sky, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, Starfield, Returnal, possibly TOTK too and maybe Metroid Dread but I’m not sure.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You know a company is desperate, when they have to resort to "engagement" figures.
Question is..............how are 'engagement' numbers relevant? 4 hours? It's not like it's any better than 3 hours. It's not like you are watching ads? How is 4 hours better than 3? How does that help Ubisoft?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Curious if anyone here played it.

Is the game even fun? Like who is the audience for this?

Bond007

I enjoy the game since beta. Probably more hours than id be comfortable sharing here. lol
Ive ignored most of the hate . The core of the game(ship combat) is a blast to me and not that it means much- but most reviewers even mention a strong foundation at its core. I gave the beta it's fair shake- about 5hrs and i'm glad i did.
I've chosen to focus on what i have enjoy rather than what others tell each other.
Some of the games we enjoy the most arent the most well recieved. Reminds me alot of games i enjoyed as a kid before i started seeing reviews and opinions. Sometimes we buy cames due to acclaim and we end up not really loving them.

Last edited:
I am quite fascinated by how much ads I get on youtube for this game. Mostly youtube annoys me with all sorts of kinda fake mobile cringe, but this is one of the few "proper" games I ever saw any ad.
No interest in it (or Sea of Thieves) but strange how far the cookie ad partner bs miss my actual preferences.

MiguelItUp

Reminds me of this:

Then the result of the actual sale came out:

Exactly what I thought of.

"How can we spin what we have into something positive?"

I think the majority know that this isn't selling well, at least I hope so.

Beechos

Question is..............how are 'engagement' numbers relevant? 4 hours? It's not like it's any better than 3 hours. It's not like you are watching ads? How is 4 hours better than 3? How does that help Ubisoft?
Analytics maybe, sell your data?

If people that engaged maybe they buying the cosmetics and stuff?

Maybe there is some deal with the platform holders like if they bring X amount of traffic to their service they get some type of incentive?

Or could just be something to boast about since there is nothing else positive to boast about.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

The moment a company refuses to give out cold hard numbers and instead tries to paint a positive picture with fantasy metrics you know that shit has hit the fan.

Krathoon

The game has a free trial. I am going to try it out.

My Ubisoft Connect forgot where it's games are at. Way to be a pain in the ass.
At least it lets you scan for installed games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom