• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Showdown with Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
do you think it's the Islam that's bothering the powers that be? Not the common folk on the ground, I mean the ones that have power.

It's not about US needing oil, it's about U.S. investors making a profit.
Curious - What US/Western oil companies that emerged in Iraq after the US invasion in 2003? How much profits did they gain?

Even better question: How much are the "allocation of profits" between the international companies and Iraqi
"puppet government"
?

As for Iran - No, I don't think it'll be cakewalk should US become crazy enough to attack Iran. Unlike Iraq which was ruled by Sunni-minority under Saddam and had a large numbers of disaffected Shia and Kurds or Afghanistan where there were numerous factions vying for power, Iran has a much larger population, largely homogenous, more difficult terrain, and stronger ties to great powers. Any "adventure" by Western powers into Iran would make Iraq and Afghanistan looked like an exercise.

So Iran isn't allowed to have "hidden" facilities etc while the USA maintance at least a dozen of "top secret" bunkers, facilities(all with those infamous "trespassers will be shot"-signs) etc, each as big a town, built deeply into mountains or super hidden in deserts plus an entire torture camp (Guantanamo Bay) where human rights are non-existent and trampled on?

yeah double standards

Jburton

Banned
So Iran isn't allowed to have "hidden" facilities etc while the USA maintance at least a dozen of "top secret" bunkers, facilities(all with those infamous "trespassers will be shot"-signs) etc, each as big a town, built deeply into mountains or super hidden in deserts plus an entire torture camp (Guantanamo Bay) where human rights are non-existent and trampled on?

yeah double standards

Well the supposedly good guys choose who the bad guys are!

The bad guys kill innocent people and hold weapons of mass destruction....... they also deny people basic human rights, operate concentration camps and perform acts of torture around the world.

Who is this ' bad ' guy?

USA.

Iran has inflicted less death than the US and holds significantly less (if any) WMD's.

Secret weapons and installations? The US has a load of them.

There is no conclusive evidence Iran is pursuing a bomb.

Yes. I agree that here is no conclusive evidence that Iran is building a nuke. I think there is plenty that they are playing games and not being forth right and complying with UNSC demands. And that they have built nukes in the past and they have a desire for them. And their actions are worrying.

Entire torture camp (Guantanamo Bay) where human rights are non-existent and trampled on?

yeah double standards
Guantanamo isn´t a "torture" camp. And the US hasn´t commited tourture since at least 2008. Things change.

Gaborn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdan_v._Rumsfeld there have been some progress on that front.

I hate it and think its a blemish on our record but its prone to exageration as well.
And most guantanamo prisoners have been released. And our president wants to change this but his hands have been tied.

I'm not disputing most of that, although Obama hasn't been pushing it I agree he has consistently said (when asked) that he's against gitmo. Although signing the NDAA was sort of a mixed message. In any case I stand by my point - Gitmo is unacceptable and we should either try the prisoners in a civilian court or release them.

I'm not disputing most of that, although Obama hasn't been pushing it I agree he has consistently said (when asked) that he's against gitmo. Although signing the NDAA was sort of a mixed message. In any case I stand by my point - Gitmo is unacceptable and we should either try the prisoners in a civilian court or release them.

Obama's proposal was to move Gitmo to Illinois, where indefinite detention would remain the policy. 'Gitmo North'. But the policy is the problem, not the location. The administration seems more concerned with closing the 'brand name' of Gitmo, while keeping the radical power of detention.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
One of those links is Press TV, which if I recall correctly, is a propaganda channel backed by the Iranian government.

jorma

is now taking requests
One of those links is Press TV, which if I recall correctly, is a propaganda channel backed by the Iranian government.

they are quoting a jpost article that is also included. Is jerusalem post also a propaganda channel backed by the Iranian government?

Steelrain

they are quoting a jpost article that is also included. Is jerusalem post also a propaganda channel backed by the Iranian government?

Incorrectly quoting the article, by the way, seeing as how the source article doesn't have the General saying anything about this "not being a exercise but a deployment". In fact, the General wasn't interviewed at all. The Jerusalem Post didn't even claim that he said anything. That alone is enough to dismiss this shitty article and recommend that others not consider them a credible source.

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=250249

Speaking of Gitmo, what a fucking embarrassment. It's land we basically stole from Cuba after the Spanish-American war and then put a prison there where we torture people. No wonder Cuba hates us. We should abandon it completely and return it to Cuba.

jorma

is now taking requests
Incorrectly quoting the article, by the way, seeing as how the source article doesn't have the General saying anything about this "not being a exercise but a deployment". In fact, the General wasn't interviewed at all. The Jerusalem Post didn't even claim that he said anything. That alone is enough to dismiss this shitty article and recommend that others not consider them a credible source.

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=250249

They probably changed it, because you get a million hits if you search for that quote in google, and they all attribute the quote to jpost.

Valnen

So Iran is going to execute an American citizen just for visiting their country. They accused him of being a spy, which is probably a load of bullshit. If they go through with this, they are officially idiots and deserve to be invaded.

kitch9

Banned
So Iran is going to execute an American citizen just for visiting their country. They accused him of being a spy, which is probably a load of bullshit. If they go through with this, they are officially idiots and deserve to be invaded.

He is ex special forces..... It will be interesting to see what the US does about this, maybe another stealth chopper will be getting a run out if they have nay idea where he is.

poisonelf

So, according to your "logic", following a country's laws about spying, however harsh, and killing someone you presume to be innocent (we can't know at this point), justifies killing tens of thousands of innocents, wiping entire villages, and all the usual that follow American democratizations/liberations/invasions.

So, again going by your logic, Iraq would be justified to kill millions of innocent Americans, hey, you "deserve" to be invaded, how many innocent tens of thousands died during bombings or target practice? I repeat, that is according to Valnen's logic, not my opinion.

It's attitudes like these that make me wish that gods and divine justice were more than fairy tales so that all war mongering trash of humanity who are 'excited' about all the action they are about to watch on TV could experience all the horrors of war for themselves.

Binabik15

Maybe he is a spy, then what?

I doubt Iran would execute him, they have to know that they'd get bitchslapped around. Lots of threats and posturing to avoid embargos, possible, executing an American spy in this climate? That'd send a message that IRan is not to be messed with, sure, but it'd also give Israel the public outrage in the US that'd allow them to get widespread bombing runs going.

And any conflict with Iran should be solved by capturing or killing their hardline leadership, not bombing their people into following said leaders instead of entertaining the idea of another uprising.

Steelrain

They probably changed it, because you get a million hits if you search for that quote in google, and they all attribute the quote to jpost.

That's because they are taking the quote from Press TV. Which is why the hits are from stories published a few days ago, "coincidentally" like the PTV article, instead of the original article from Dec. 20th. The quote doesn't even make sense considering any movement of troops into a new region is a deployment with or without an exercise. I highly doubt a General would say something like that. Successful shitbag media organization is successful though I guess.

As if tensions between the United States and Iran weren't high enough, here's PBS NewsHour anchor Margaret Warner (1/9/12):

The Iranian government insists that its nuclear activities are for peaceful energy purposes only, an assertion disputed by the U.S. and its allies. On CBS yesterday, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta repeated international demands that Iran stop enriching uranium.

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE LEON PANETTA: But we know that they're trying to develop a nuclear capability, and that's what concerns us. And our red line to Iran is, do not develop a nuclear weapon. That's a red line for us. They need to know that, if they take that step, that they're going to get stopped.​

The way that's presented you'd think that the United States has evidence that Iran is pursuing a weapon. Leon Panetta's soundbite is from his appearance on Face The Nation on Sunday. But the NewsHour removed one key phrase; right before Panetta says, "But we know," he said this:

Are they trying to develop a nuclear weapon? No.
So Panetta's statement--that Iran is not building a nuclear weapon--is being used to argue that the United States disputes Iran's long-standing contention that it not building a nuclear weapon.

http://www.fair.org/blog/2012/01/10/pbss-dishonest-iran-edit/

Al-ibn Kermit

It's in German so I have no idea what the article says but who the hell else would kill him? It makes sense that Israel did it.

I believe a couple other nuclear scientists have been killed the same way over the last year or two. Of course any proof that Israel did this gives Iran much more justification to escalate this standoff, that may even be the reason that scientist was killed at this moment in time so that full blown war breaks out before attempts at diplomacy are made.

Gustav

Banned
It's in German so I have no idea what the article says but who the hell else would kill him? It makes sense that Israel did it.

I believe a couple other nuclear scientists have been killed the same way over the last year or two. Of course any proof that Israel did this gives Iran much more justification to escalate this standoff, that may even be the reason that scientist was killed at this moment in time so that full blown war breaks out before attempts at diplomacy are made.

It doesn't say much, other than a motorcyclist delivered the bomb and that according to Iranian officials the attack was similar to the killings of 3 nuclear scientists in 2010 and 2011. Oddly enough the 2010 attack was on January 11th 2010.

Have any of these attacks on Iranian scientists ever been described as "terror" in the western press? I cant think of many examples. Presumably, the same courtesy wouldnt be extended to attacks on israeli nuclear scientists.

Gustav

Banned
Have any of these attacks on Iranian scientists ever been described as "terror" in the western press? I cant think of many examples. Presumably, the same courtesy wouldnt be extended to attacks on israeli nuclear scientists.

They have been described as assassinations in the german press. I think it's the correct term.

a country deserves to be invaded because they caught a spy?

listen dude, if an ex Iranian military man came back to visit his family, i'd be pretty suspicious.

you're not ok in the head mr. warhawk

They have been described as assassinations in the german press. I think it's the correct term.

yep that's crazy to me to see that type of honesty.

you're probably right. There is a lengthy AP article in the Washington Post about this incident. It repeatedly uses the word "killing" rather than assassination.

Casp0r

Banned

A terror attack is an indiscriminate attack on innocent civilians.

Not targeted assassination of people of working within an illegal weapons program.

Jburton

Banned
A terror attack is an indiscriminate attack on innocent civilians.

Not targeted assassination of people of working within an illegal weapons program.

It's not illegal, the Iranian government are entitled to do what ever they like on their own soil within their own laws.

US build and hold more WMD's than any other country, illegal weapon program is it?

Hypocrites.

Also it is a civilian scientist working their government.

Meadows

Banned
I'm sorry but my position is that these killings/stallings are vastly preferable to ANOTHER invasion, war.

Still wish it didn't have to be this way, but its as much the fault of Iran as it is of the USA and Israel that it happened like this.

Lerozz

I'm sorry but my position is that these killings/stallings are vastly preferable to ANOTHER invasion, war.

The problem is though that such actions don't result in anything which makes the current situation better. Rather the other way around and it is hot enough already as it is. Stupid move by Israel's government if Mossad was behind the car bomb.

Stay safe, citizens of Israel and Iran.

Al-ibn Kermit

Still wish it didn't have to be this way, but its as much the fault of Iran as it is of the USA and Israel that it happened like this.
How did you assume that this prevents war? If anything, it would make diplomacy less successful.

Meadows

Banned
How did you assume that this prevents war? If anything, it would make diplomacy less successful.

because it lessens the likelihood that Iran gets the bomb, or at least stalls it. Iran aren't going to provoke a war, it'd have to be the US/Israel that made the 1st move.

Again, in an ideal world:

1) The west would just leave the ME be
2) Israel wouldn't have nukes
3) Iran wouldn't be pursuing nukes

but the current assassination scheme is killing less 'civilians', i.e. people selling rugs on a street or something, than an invasion would.

Who knows, maybe this is Saudi Arabia doing this?

Lerozz

because it lessens the likelihood that Iran gets the bomb, or at least stalls it. Who knows, maybe this is Saudi Arabia doing this?

I think this chance is long gone already. Iran is apparently moving facilities underground. So either they start to finally cooperate fully with the IAEA and hopefully only have goals for civil use of nuclear power or will continue that tactic of going back and forth until they can say "We did it" and then the situation will change (for the worse) in that whole region anyways.

Scare tactics with sabotage and single killings won't do anything good here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom