• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shopping at GameStop is Miserable - Polygon

Bryank75

Banned
Many things we know but it highlights some of the more frustrating aspects quite well, I feel. (Sorry for stinking up the place with a Polygon article!)

Why would anyone want to walk into a GameStop in 2020?

The venerable video game retailer is currently cratering, with overall sales for the holiday quarter down 25% year over year. The company had announced it would be closing as many as 200 stores last year after a series of disastrous quarters, and that was before its dismal holiday performance was announced. The news has been bad for a while, and it’s only getting worse.

GameStop’s executives believe that things will turn around when Sony and Microsoft release new consoles, but I’m not particularly optimistic about the company’s chances. My biggest problem with GameStop doesn’t have anything to do with pricing or the schedule of hardware or software. It’s that shopping inside a GameStop itself is a miserable experience.

WHAT WENT WRONG?
GameStop offers a series of services that few other retailers can match, much less beat. You can trade in your games for other games or get cash right then, without waiting to be paid out by online services like Amazon or eBay.
You can pay for your subscription services with cash by buying prepaid cards if you don’t have a credit or debit card or don’t want to use it online. GameStop’s stores are physical places you can visit to do your business instantly and directly, and that’s a considerable strength, even as so much of the video game industry moves online.
The problem is that walking into a GameStop feels like stepping into a flea market managed by employees who have already given up. The games are often heavily stickered, and many are missing the official cover on the case. Random assortments of toys and overpriced collectibles spill out over displays, with little rhyme or reason about where things are.
I WANT TO KNOW IF THEY HAVE A GAME I WANT TO BUY, AND I’D LIKE A YES OR NO ANSWER TO SEE IF MY TIME IS BEING WASTED.
You can spend a lot of money for replica items from your favorite game, anime, or movie universes, as long as you don’t mind it being a little beaten up by the time it gets to you. That’s also assuming the person behind the counter is willing to get the item you’re looking at down from the top shelves that ring the store, and anything up there is likely to be covered in dust. So many aspects of the shopping experience feel cheap, and so much of the stock feels neglected.
It makes me sad every time I have to go in one to pick up something I need that day, and it’s so uncomfortable, with the stock often being in such bad shape, that I’ll try to go to a Target or Walmart if possible. Heck, I get sad even typing that sentence; I worked at Electronics Boutique, and later EB Games, and finally GameStop when the companies merged, and I don’t remember it being that bad back then. Which isn’t to say it was ever good, just that everyone involved in running the stores, based on my anecdotal experiences shopping in them, seems to have given up.

The rest of my complaints are nothing new, but continue to rankle. The most likely answer to the question about whether they have a game in stock is another question: Did you pre-order? Sometimes they have a copy for walk-ins even if you didn’t pre-order, other times they don’t, and I’ll be told that if I want to guarantee a copy of the game I should have given them money to hold it. In which case I walk across the street to any other store to buy the game, without a pre-order.
It tends to go like this:
Ben: Do you have a copy of the new Assassin’s Creed game?
GameStop: Did you pre-order?
Ben: No, but ...
GameStop: If you want to make sure we have a copy of the game, you need to be sure to put $5 down to pre-order, which guarantees you ...
Ben: OK, but do you have a copy of the game?
GameStop: Do you have anything you’d like to trade in toward the cost of the game?
Ben: I still don’t know if you have it!
GameStop: Would you be interested in a pre-owned copy?
The pre-order question served as an answer about what’s in stock highlights why GameStop is in such trouble: Every interaction in the store is meant to serve GameStop’s interests, not the customer’s. I want to know if they have a game I want to buy, and I’d like a yes or no answer to see if my time is being wasted.
I want to be very clear that I’ve met a lot of great, enthusiastic, and helpful GameStop employees, and I know that they’re not in charge of company policy. They often want to help, and they know the script is abysmal for folks on both sides of the counter, but they don’t have the power to make things better.

Ditching the script and answering a question with information is often quite literally against store policy, and could lead to disciplinary action or the loss of the job. I’m not asking for anyone to risk their livelihood to provide basic customer service, even though that should be the priority of those store policies to begin with. GameStop has a history of forcing employees to choose between helping the customers and going along with corporate policy.
GameStop, as a company, makes it very hard to get answers to basic questions, but it’s very easy to learn about all of GameStop’s high-margin services I’m not interested in, and have nothing to do with my visit.
WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE US? MISERABLE WORKERS, MISERABLE CUSTOMERS
The result of all that wasted time is I try to avoid GameStop whenever possible. I don’t expect the clerks there to know that I worked for the company for years a few decades ago, and I certainly don’t expect them to know that I write about video games for a living by sight.
What I do or don’t know as a customer is immaterial, because in my experience all GameStop customers are treated roughly the same. Our questions aren’t answered, our games are opened, beaten up, and covered in stickers, and we should have pre-ordered, and we’re going to have to step over a sad pile of Funko Pops before we have the opportunity to have our questions ignored.
I don’t think GameStop has much of a chance, even with the new consoles coming in 2020. Amazon is too convenient, Walmart never bothers me about pre-orders, and buying games directly through the consoles themselves is always an option.
GameStop is likely a relic from another era, and there’s nothing to be done about that unfortunate reality. But GameStop isn’t just suffering from the general loss that plagues so much physical retail, it’s actively pushing its best customers away with shoddy practices and a lack of care.
RELATED
The retail apocalypse: traditional retail chains are dying across America
If the company wants to at least try to survive, it should try listening to what we’re asking, answering with accurate information, and start celebrating the act of selling a physical game. That interaction should be fun!
I love video games, and I’ve dedicated my entire life to this hobby professionally, and in at least some part personally. I want GameStop to turn around, because right now the largest speciality retailer dedicated to my favorite hobby, to the games I’ve made it my professional to write about, seems to care very little about the actual product it’s selling.
I still love playing games. I just don’t like the experience of buying them in a beaten-down condition from GameStop. I’m not alone, either.

Colin Campbell

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I haven't renewed my membership there and every time I go up to the counter I'm reminded several times. It wouldn't be bad if it wasn't something like this:

1. You know your membership expired a long time ago? Want to renew today?
Me: I realize that, no thanks.
2. You sure, you'll save this much on your purchase as well as save money in the future
Me: No thanks, not today
3. You'll get $5 every month and information on deals.
Me: No thanks
4. This is where I'm staring down at the floor because I feel like I'm not being heard.

I wish they could leave notes for customers in their computer system. It makes me not want to shop there. I'd rather checkout online than have a physical confrontation with their employees. I've been in game stores since the mid/late 90's. I'm aware of all their practices and I understand what my options are. I don't need someone to underhand me every time I want to buy something.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
As someone who worked for a retail store facing very similar issues (books) its amazing to me that they haven't pivoted more than they have and tried to capitalize on literally anything else. The business model doesn't make a ton on sense with the current market landscape and instead of doing literally anything else with memberships, culture, etc, they have basically done nothing but carry more collectables that are vastly overpriced to begin with.

I got my switch through Gamestop because I traded in my Wii U towards the price and when I went ti pick it up and told them I was going to get Zelda digital (which I didn't I simply had GCU and was using it for the discount) the manager literally belittled me saying "why would you do that and hog up all the internal memory?"

Like listen here you little shit...Ill do what I damn well please.

Since then I haven't been back.

Sleepydays

Banned
Despite it being on Polygon, it's hard to argue with any of that.

Every Gamestop has the stench of death about it (which often smells exactly like poor basic hygiene). Games without cases, used sold as new, staff who are constantly trying to upsell. Rip-off shipping on online orders. Trade-in prices that don't make sense for anyone in the ebay era, unless they need the cash that second to buy smack. The only people I know who shop/trade there are people who don't know any better. They're an anachronism that exists only due to customers ignorant of easier, better options, like people still paying for AOL dial-up 10 years after broadband.

They don't get much right.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I had worked at gamestop when i was younger for 6 years, I didnt annoy people about pre orders and discount cards like we were supposed to because i found it annoying.

But the WORST thing they ever did was they used to have used games with yellow stickers and new games with white, right before i quit working there they changed and did both white stickers, it honestly was a scumbag move to try and trick people to buy used.

The amount of hate Gamestop gets is baffling. It's a store like any other store IMO.

Was just thinking this myself, like, it's just a shop. The horror stories in the threads are sometimes a laugh, but otherwise, it is literally just a shop. Only in the gaming community do you see this much written-up hate (coming from journalists here now too) for a shop, lol.

I particularly like this enlightening quote:

"The result of all that wasted time is I try to avoid GameStop whenever possible. I don’t expect the clerks there to know that I worked for the company for years a few decades ago, and I certainly don’t expect them to know that I write about video games for a living by sight."

What the fuck kind of journalism is this? Who the fuck does this guy/gal think they are, lol.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Despite it being on Polygon, it's hard to argue with any of that.

Every Gamestop has the stench of death about it (which often smells exactly like poor basic hygiene). Games without cases, used sold as new, staff who are constantly trying to upsell. Rip-off shipping on online orders. Trade-in prices that don't make sense for anyone in the ebay era, unless they need the cash that second to buy smack. The only people I know who shop/trade there are people who don't know any better. They're an anachronism that exists only due to customers ignorant of easier, better options, like people still paying for AOL dial-up 10 years after broadband.

They don't get much right.
The CEX I went into once was the worst... smelled like sweat and dead animals. The guy behind the counter had one of those beany hats that go up too high and flop back.
It's basically nightmare fuel for me!

Yeah, that pre-order conversation doesn't go like that at all. They don't just blatantly ignore you. Sure,t hey want to to preorder so there's copies of the game on hand (recent Call of Duty was sold out everywhere due to low preorders and high sales). But they don't just ignore your question.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The whole preorder concept for regular editions is silly when I can walk in the Best Buy two stores down that always has plenty of stock sitting on shelf.

Bryank75

Banned
ha, i went to GameStop a week ago. it wasn't miserable. LOL. got some good stuff. don't pre-order tho, i just went in to pick up some games.

why are journalists the biggest fucking drama queens?
I pre-order all the collectors editions I buy there, it's the only place they have that stuff. Nearly eveything I get there is a pre-order. I know some people hate hearing that... but it's just the truth.

Bryank75

Banned
50 or so stores are closing around the US and they have shit at 50% off THAT'S WHY YOU NERD!
So go and buy shit before it dies! :)
Wish I was in America.... here, they are at full power and charging 75 euro for basic new games. Have mercy!

nr1hEAk.gif

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Lamestop is just purely a fucking miserable shitshow, polygon is miserable.

I hope shitstop goes completely out of business and the company dies a terrible death so another chain can rise up that hopefully understand how to treat its customers and run a business.

Fbh

Just sounds like retail.
The place I used to work for was the same:

- I'd like to buy this
- Great, let me get that for you. Would you like to extend the warranty ?
- no
- Would you like some BS service where we overcharge you to do some simple task on your product?
- no
- Do you own our special credit card
- no
- Well if you get one you get 10% of your first purchase, would you like to get one?
- no
- Would you like insurance for your device so we repair it if you drop it or it breaks out of warranty?
-no
- We also have a cheaper transport protection so if anything happens to your device on your way home we'll replace it
- no
- We also have this cheap crap on sale over here would you be interested in getting one?
- no

It was annoying for me and the client, and then my boss would look angrily at me for not ripping off the customer with any of these crap

Last edited:
Was just thinking this myself, like, it's just a shop. The horror stories in the threads are sometimes a laugh, but otherwise, it is literally just a shop. Only in the gaming community do you see this much written-up hate (coming from journalists here now too) for a shop, lol.

I particularly like this enlightening quote:

"The result of all that wasted time is I try to avoid GameStop whenever possible. I don’t expect the clerks there to know that I worked for the company for years a few decades ago, and I certainly don’t expect them to know that I write about video games for a living by sight."

What the fuck kind of journalism is this? Who the fuck does this guy/gal think they are, lol.

"I write about video games for a living."

Imagine bragging about this.

oh how i long for the days of Babbages. The one i went to was always clean and the employees were really cool. And there was one GS where i was friends with the manager and went to all the midnight releases (those were a lot of fun and i do miss the community aspect) but today most of my current game buying is all digital. I enjoy buying physical when it comes to older consoles but have a few stores that i frequent for those purchases. I only go to GS if they are doing a really good deal on PS3 or WiiU games and the stores are just not well organized. While i hate to see people lose their jobs, GS's model just doesn't work today.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
oh how i long for the days of Babbages. The one i went to was always clean and the employees were really cool. And there was one GS where i was friends with the manager and went to all the midnight releases (those were a lot of fun and i do miss the community aspect) but today most of my current game buying is all digital. I enjoy buying physical when it comes to older consoles but have a few stores that i frequent for those purchases. I only go to GS if they are doing a really good deal on PS3 or WiiU games and the stores are just not well organized. While i hate to see people lose their jobs, GS's model just doesn't work today.

I go digital because of game sharing with a buddy. WE basically trade off every other game and its made us not buy a disc in a long time.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have literally never had any of these experiences at GameStop, never. I walk in, ask for the game. They say we have x new and y used. Then ask which I want. I say, they ask for my card and then if I want the warranty or have anything to trade in, then they run it through.

It takes seconds and isn't a problem. I have never experienced some of these massive problems ever at any store.

Maybe it's a USA only issue? Cause it's nice to in Canada from my experience.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
So is reading articles on polygon. lmao.

TheContact

Shopping at GameStop is a shitty experience. WORKING for GameStop is an even shittier experience. I can't remember the last time I stepped inside a GameStop.

demigod

The amount of hate Gamestop gets is baffling. It's a store like any other store IMO.

No it is not the same. The only times you'll see me there is if there's a collector's edition that only they carry or sometimes they will randomly have a sale on a game.
1. No other store removes games from cases
2. No other store requires you to preorder for a copy of the game
3. Why buy at GS when I can get it cheaper from other stores ON RELEASE DAY.

Polygon shitting on GS while Polygon was trading in their review copies to GS. :pie_eyeroll:

Damn is this true? lol

Jacknapes

Exactly the same in GAME. It used to be a good experience, but the good staff have been replaced by some mindless robots who have a script to follow. 8/10 times, they get a disk from the drawer and claim the game as new. It's not, you had to open it thus it's now no longer new. New means sealed (in my eyes).

I do try and go into GAME, but if they get pushy with their "please insure this disk for £1" or "buy our new card for £xx.xx" i tend to leave.

Mithos

At most they have asked if i want warranty and/or if i wanted that seal sticker on the game case/box (and I always say no to both), removing that sticker always left pieces on the case/box that was difficult to remove.

Must be the country or place of the stores that makes it bad where it's bad.

zeorhymer

Damn is this true? lol
When I worked at GS all of the other outlets did it; IGN, Kotaku, PC Gamer, etc. You could tell it was a review copy because when you had to scan the barcode, it was either missing, scratched out or had a hole punch in it. On top of that, you'd get people trading in games that weren't even released yet. It'd screw up our system because sometimes, the codes weren't programmed in yet and would spit out strange items.

ExpandKong

Banned
Are all game journalists just antisocial weirdos? Yeah getting asked if you're interested in buying something you're not interested in buying is slightly obnoxious. Say no thanks and move on with your transaction. Have these people ever been to any retail store besides Gamestop? Is Polygon Author up there honestly acting like he doesn't get asked to purchase a warranty or apply for a store credit card when he walks across the street to Best Buy or Target to buy a game there instead?

I like Gamestop because it's convenient. I don't have to list my stuff for sale on a website, wait for somebody to respond, package it up and ship it, or if they're close enough arrange to meet them in a police station parking lot so I can minimize the chances I get stabbed for a fucking DualShock 4. If I have some shit I'm done with, I check their trade rates online and pop over there if they're good and get it done instantly.

People make a big stink about the "selling used games as new" thing but I don't think that's as big an epidemic as it's made out to be. The two times it happened to me, they made it very clear what was going on and asked if I was still cool with it (and one time, I was). This was at two different locations as well.

I understand why they're going belly up but I do think it's gonna suck when they're gone because it's doubtful anyone is gonna take their place.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
This is where being a large angry looking dude works to my advantage.
All I get is "yes sir", "no sir" and "have a good day".

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't go often, maybe once a year, but I don't find it any more annoying than other retail stores.

Fbh

Transport protection? WTF. What products were you selling?

It was an electronics store so it was mostly for TV's as lots of people didn't want to get them delivered and would take them home in their car.
So the whole idea was that should anything happen to the TV on the way home or while setting it up then we'd cover the damages.

For expensive TV's it was actually fairly easy to sell. It was like "Hey you are buying this $2K TV... for $20 bucks you can make sure it's protected until you get it home and running".
The thing is we and our branch managers would get evaluated based on how many of these "protections" we sold, so we had to offer it for every product that was somewhat expensive (Laptops, tablets, coffe machines, etc)

Last edited:
Top Bottom