• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups Are The Best Genre You Don’t Play

cireza

PSA: M2's excellent Toaplan Arcade Garage series' next entry, ZeroFire, is up for preorder at Amazon.jp

This collection includes Zero Wing, Hellfire, as well as a bonus game - Horror Story / Demon's World.

I love M2, but I don't understand a single thing about which region/console they release these games on. It is so confusing. I was able to somehow get Battle Garegga on Xbox, but if I remember correctly, I had to buy it on another country's store. Also have Aleste Collection on Switch, but had to import a physical game from Japan...

They never update their website.
Who runs this ? Somebody help them...

Overall, it would be for the best if they could release these collections on all current platforms and all regions.

Last edited:

Katatonic

The fact that there is no Gradius V remaster is kinda strange. It's definitely an iconic shooter that deserves some TLC. Wouldn't require much work since the game upscales amazingly and runs fast even on old hardware.

A Konami PS2 shooter collection with Graduis V, Contra: Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra at 4k would be nice and relatively cheap to produce.

They were replaced my mascot platformers and side scrolling beat ‘em ups in the 16-bit era. Before that they were a pretty big deal.
Shmups were very popular in the 16-bit era. Many titles on SNES and Megadrive. Plenty of representation on neogeo and arcade too. The genre started collapsing when 3D graphics came in.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shmups were very popular in the 16-bit era. Many titles on SNES and Megadrive. Plenty of representation on neogeo and arcade too. The genre started collapsing when 3D graphics came in.

They collapsed during the 16-bit era. Back before SNES arrived they were huge on Genesis and Turbografx. SNES released and they were still popular, but that started to wane, and eventually they were replaced as beat ‘em ups arguably became the hot new genre followed by fighting games. You’re correct in Neo Geo having a few as well, but once they hit it big with fighting games, that was it for their shmups.

I think there was a bit of a resurgence with Saturn and PlayStation in Japan mainly. In the US not quite as much, as mascot platformers got popular.

At least that’s my personal view and experience from back then.

cireza

There were a ton of shmups during the 32 bits era. Dreamcast also has quite a lot of them. I would say the genre really disappeared from the radar after the death of Dreamcast/Naomi. I am talking about the genre worldwide, not just the West.

Last edited:

Holammer

Let's dust off this existing thread.

Akiragoya, a doujin game developer just released its third shmup on Steam. With a Giger'esque setting and I'm pretty sure I saw a suspicious orifice with teeth in the second steam trailer. It's not full Cave quality, but it's getting there.
Had to share it because they made the effort to translate all the over-the-top language in the trailer to English, "show me your backbone".

IAmRei

Shmups was the first game genre i developed my self back then. And after sometime in small industry, i believe that shmups genre is still the hardest to create

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Akiragoya, a doujin game developer just released its third shmup on Steam. With a Giger'esque setting and I'm pretty sure I saw a suspicious orifice with teeth in the second steam trailer. It's not full Cave quality, but it's getting there.
Had to share it because they made the effort to translate all the over-the-top language in the trailer to English, "show me your backbone".

Funny. I purchased the game earlier today as it was on my wish list, and after I played it I was going to create a separate thread in case it needs one if it is a banger.

It gives me berserk style vibes.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They collapsed during the 16-bit era. Back before SNES arrived they were huge on Genesis and Turbografx. SNES released and they were still popular, but that started to wane, and eventually they were replaced as beat ‘em ups arguably became the hot new genre followed by fighting games. You’re correct in Neo Geo having a few as well, but once they hit it big with fighting games, that was it for their shmups.

I think there was a bit of a resurgence with Saturn and PlayStation in Japan mainly. In the US not quite as much, as mascot platformers got popular.

At least that’s my personal view and experience from back then.
There were still tons of great ones on the 32-bit systems though, and the Dreamcast had great ones, many of which came to the US. The PS2 was the major drop-off. PS2 had Gradius V, R-Type Final, and....?

I think the problem with the genre is that it just went up its own butthole where it they became increasingly complex, intricate, and difficult, it's as if as the audience started shrinking the devs just catered more and more to the hardcore fans.

Holammer

Funny. I purchased the game earlier today as it was on my wish list, and after I played it I was going to create a separate thread in case it needs one if it is a banger.

It gives me berserk style vibes.
I checked the Akiragoya site and they have 13 previous games. This seems to have some thematic similarities to some of the older games, like Galshell 2 with the *huge* ship and biomechanical setting. Do make a thread, if it deserves one.

Arsic

There were still tons of great ones on the 32-bit systems though, and the Dreamcast had great ones, many of which came to the US. The PS2 was the major drop-off. PS2 had Gradius V, R-Type Final, and....?

I think the problem with the genre is that it just went up its own butthole where it they became increasingly complex, intricate, and difficult, it's as if as the audience started shrinking the devs just catered more and more to the hardcore fans.

I think personally you cannot ask for more than $20 for a title like this no matter what.

DOJ I paid over $40 for, and when checking leaderboards it’s about 500.

500 people bought the game? Yikes….

The genre needs a price restructuring, and like you said, a focus on CAVE design. Nothing too wild.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to sell ship skins for $.99 or even in game avatar photos for $.49 as dlc.

Buy the $30 version and get them all included.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think this has been mentioned.
Most of Jaleco's stuff seem to be copy cats that didn't quite achieve the original greatness but this is a gem of a shmup.

I only discovered it recently then wondered what the massively expanded story of the Saturn port is about with so much talking.

Then I saw that version has been localized and released on Steam and other platforms relatively recently by City Connection. Awesome!
But yeah their games tend to look just a bit behind the times and riff off classics like Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Rastan, Wonder Boy, Contra, Mega Man, even Out Run & Ridge Racer (though this video in particular has pretty bad looking emulation on the later 3D stuff so look for better).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Raiden III, Shikigami no Shiro 1 and 2, and the Cave stuff if you imported. But yeah DC was a bit of a golden age because Naomi was so ubiquitous in arcades.

I don't really know if I agree with that. I think arcade gaming in general declined and eventually wasn't well understood by a generation of gamers that didn't grow up with them. If you read reviews from the early aughts you see a lot of gamers increasingly confused by "paying full price for a game that's only 40 minutes long" and not really understanding the concept of limiting your continues or playing for score. They just didn't fit into the retail model of the day. Japan was a bit slower to embrace the digital download model as well, and still pushed these games out as full retail releases (still do a lot of times, in fact).

These games did cater more to a core fan base as the casuals dwindled but it's debatable to what extent they really became harder or more complicated rather than just flashier looking. Most of these crazy bullet hell games have tiny tiny hotboxes and slower projectiles and they aren't really more difficult they're just busy looking.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s an old favorite genre of mine. No bullet hell shmups which play like you’re moving in a maze, I like the old school ones where you need to react fast on enemy bullets, and I need to use a joystick.
Built an arcade cabinet for Retropie years ago with a focus on shmups.
nItyN3j.jpeg

Arsic

Idk if this has been mentioned, seems rad.
Steam reviews show some issues. Leaderboards, lack of resolution options, keyboard isn’t an option, full screen issues, and more.

Cyber connect ports tend to usually be a miss by shmup hardcore players from what I’ve read.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Steam reviews show some issues. Leaderboards, lack of resolution options, keyboard isn’t an option, full screen issues, and more.

Cyber connect ports tend to usually be a miss by shmup hardcore players from what I’ve read.
Reviews are Mostly Positive and it's the main way you can own it legally (and the Saturn version content in English with all that VA), feel free to then acquire/emulate anywhere else you want I guess (though again I don't think there's any English patch for other versions yet).

I was just posting of the game separate from any version/port (and posted about all of them, it's also on PS4/PSN), it seems relatively unknown (and probably much more so before the re-release, like other Saturn version games City Connection has ported in recent times).
claricebomber5.png
claricebomber1.png
claricebomber2-1.png
claricebomber3.png

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Picked up Battle Garegga over the holidays. I'm usually a Cave only robot when it comes to SHMUPS but it has quickly become a favorite of mine. I also picked up Ray'z Arcade Chronology and while I think it is interesting conceptually, I just can't wrap my head around it and hate it.

Important to note that there is a demo.

Edit: Works on deck but you have to reboot into desktop to download the demo.

Last edited:
I thought that games like Panzer Dragoon and Starfox were the 3d evolution of shmups, much like Mario 64 was the 3d evolution of a platformer...and then just about no one aside a few exceptions followed their example.
I guess I was thinking about how in an fps you have to aim and shoot as well as move your character around. Starfox type games are more a literal evolution but as you said weren't popular like shoot em ups.

I guess I was thinking about how in an fps you have to aim and shoot as well as move your character around. Starfox type games are more a literal evolution but as you said weren't popular like shoot em ups.
I guess the difference for me is that in FPS games you are never constrained to always moving forward on a rail-like system, and even in Doom-likes the player is mostly circle strafing. This is also why I didn't count other piloting/flying games like Ace Combat because they also don't do on-rail sections.

For an FPS game to be an evolution we would need a first person Contra game to exist to know what that could potentially look like.

bender

What time is it?
I guess the difference for me is that in FPS games you are never constrained to always moving forward on a rail-like system, and even in Doom-likes the player is mostly circle strafing. This is also why I didn't count other piloting/flying games like Ace Combat because they also don't do on-rail sections.

For an FPS game to be an evolution we would need a first person Contra game to exist to know what that could potentially look like.

Since it is Konami, it would look like six-day-old roadkill and probably have a panda bear in it.

Sojiro

This genre is one I really just feel like shit at, I tend to like these games, but there is a huge learning curve with them, or at least the ones I end up trying. I don't care for bullet hell games at all though. I plan to try and get into more shmups this year though after randomly trying Gradius on my TG-16 mini and actually beating it after a lot of failures lol. This genre certainly isn't for the faint of heart lol.

NanaMiku

This genre is one I really just feel like shit at, I tend to like these games, but there is a huge learning curve with them, or at least the ones I end up trying. I don't care for bullet hell games at all though. I plan to try and get into more shmups this year though after randomly trying Gradius on my TG-16 mini and actually beating it after a lot of failures lol. This genre certainly isn't for the faint of heart lol.
I personally really like Ether Vapor. It's not too hard

CGNoire

19XX and Progear are my favorites by far.
With Ikaruga coming in close second.

Play through them often via MAME.

Last edited:

SunlitSword

Neo Member
I went on an absolute tear recently. Picked up all of M2's PS4/PC ports including those stuck on JP PSN. Had never played ESP Ra.De. before, but wow that game is the definition of fun. I'm not very good yet, so I generally don't make it too far without credit feeding, but I can't help but start another run. My favorites so far are ESP Ra.De., Battle Garegga, Ketsui, Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Sorcer Strikers, Mushihimesama, Radiant Silvergun, and Dragon Blaze. I really hope M2 gets around to porting a few of the more obscure Cave games someday. Love this thread!

Majormaxxx

My problem is that these game are too hard. I like to beat games and have never beater a shmup. Otherwise I like the idea.

Majukun

me and them don't gel.

I grew up plating gladius and remember never getting past the moai stage

picked up ikaruga during the 360 era, was so bad at it that I stopped playing.

nowadays I have even worse reflexes, so I don't even bother

midnightAI

me and them don't gel.

Well a lot of the old school shooters used to rely on pattern/level memorisation rather than out right reflexes. That's why I still prefer the older shooters. Went to an Arcade last week and played R-Type for the first time in at least 10 years and still made it to the last level. Also annihilated the high score on Star Force and not played that in over 30 years (to be honest it's probably not played that much in this arcade, still, it all came flooding back how to play it very quickly)

zenspider

Angel At Dusk has the most in-depth shmup tutorial ever. Fully interactive explanations of fundamentals (The Three Ultimate Techniques) that apply to the entire genre, plus awesome commentary by the developer throughout.

They even teach about techniques like “bullet sealing” which are not present in Angel At Dusk!

All in all about 20 minutes, with a mode to practice specific lessons.

I played through twice to record it for YT, and there’s even “rank” and special messages based on your skill level in the tutorial! The second time I did “bullet streaming” they added moving walls of bullets to make sure my tap-dodges were teeny tiny.

That’s all before the actual game-related tutorial going over AaD’s mechanics and scoring!!!

Can’t recommend enough. Worth the $13 before even getting into the game proper, which is great fun so far :)

Also, has option to turn on nipples.

zenspider

Well a lot of the old school shooters used to rely on pattern/level memorisation rather than out right reflexes. That's why I still prefer the older shooters. Went to an Arcade last week and played R-Type for the first time in at least 10 years and still made it to the last level. Also annihilated the high score on Star Force and not played that in over 30 years (to be honest it's probably not played that much in this arcade, still, it all came flooding back how to play it very quickly)
Funnily the more I dive into the genre, the more I think it’s the opposite. You can learn your way out of playing reflexively in bullet hells — many patterns are deception and intimidation, but old school shmups will fire fastballs right in your ass the second you go off route and then say fuck your power ups on your respawn. Danmaku is pretty chill and generous to the player (relatively) once you get over the learning curve IMO.

Pretty sick on the R-Type run though… that’s amazing!

Last edited:

Arsic

me and them don't gel.

Absolutely do not be afraid to pick up any game from M2 that is CAVE developed.

They added super easy modes where a lot of the bullets are gone, and you’ll get essentially infinite continues. From there it has challenge modes if you wanted to keep getting better.

Either way the modes have ranked leaderboards too so you can just focus on fun and not worry you’re missing out somehow.

On PSN you could scoop up Ketsui Deathiny to give it a whirl. You can do Battle Garrega as well but that’s a Raizing game— less neon bullets and more actual bullets/bombs. Lots of ships and a stellar soundtrack.

Also games like Ikaruga are much harder IMO to overcome, unless you put it on their easy mode as well for lots of continues.

Top Bottom