• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Backer Demo Should Be Available To Play This Weekend

Keihart

So... Shenmue 3 have its own Rage Art moves:

Q0LlRgi.gif

ihOjsLK.gif

source: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/combat-system-bullet-time-dodge.1724/
i had hope for a bit, this might confirm the lack of reversal moves making counter elbow assault just a normal strike(btw notice how now Ryo's right hand being extended backwards makes no sense, that hand is like that because it is the hand that deflects the opponent's punch). I hope there is more to the combat than what we have seen, something that justifies the odd changes like the inputs for specific moves that in manual mode seem pretty unpractical at first glance, but meh, I hope there are still investigations sections where you have to inspect items and the like, i have a feeling that those are gone too since the first person doesn't work like it used to anymore.

Hasta la vista good ol friend
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Rewatching those old animations and the dodge system makes the new one no favors, but it is what it is, at least there is Shenmue 3 ...i better pray to Shiva to help me let go of the old one and embrace the new more modest combat :(

Last edited:

Kazza

Just skipped around the Easy Allies video and I have to say this has me pleasantly surprised.

It looks like they nailed the vibe and pace while updating the mechanics/graphics etc. The voice acting is still doo doo, but that adds to the authenticity I guess. Going to have to finish replaying Shenmue 2 before I dive into this bad boy.

BTW I'm assuming we're not going to be seeing any playable Sega classic arcade games in this, does anyone know if that's been confirmed?

I'm impressed too. I set my expectations pretty low (so I only backed at the $29 digital copy level), but this looks really great. They have somehow managed to create a game that both looks very modern while looking like a a Dreamcast game (I think it's the use of colours that does it). The only way I see this game disappointing backers now is if the story takes a really strange and unpopular turn.

It makes me want a Shenmue 4 even more. I feel that with the engine and staff already in place, a forth game would allow them to evolve the game even further, maybe adding throws back into the combat, as well as putting in the stuff Yu Suzuki said he didn't have time to include this time around.

ajim

i had hope for a bit, this might confirm the lack of reversal moves making counter elbow assault just a normal strike(btw notice how now Ryo's right hand being extended backwards makes no sense, that hand is like that because it is the hand that deflects the opponent's punch). I hope there is more to the combat than what we have seen, something that justifies the odd changes like the inputs for specific moves that in manual mode seem pretty unpractical at first glance, but meh, I hope there are still investigations sections where you have to inspect items and the like, i have a feeling that those are gone too since the first person doesn't work like it used to anymore.

Hasta la vista good ol friend
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Rewatching those old animations and the dodge system makes the new one no favors, but it is what it is, at least there is Shenmue 3 ...i better pray to Shiva to help me let go of the old one and embrace the new more modest combat :(
Both look great to be but i guess I'll need to play it myself to compare.

Kazza

Some new footage and info about the larger town of the game:

Apparently, the town has 70 explorable shops including one where:

Yu talks about the NPCs and how the each have their own characters and schedules (for example, the female characters will tend to peruse clothes and jewellery shops etc).

Top Bottom