• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew Revealed

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
New Diorama Hitman coming in 2023...

capsule_616x353.jpg

These games are underrated and each iteration they do (Shadow Tactics, Desperados III) improves on the formula.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
These games (especially Desperado 3) have always read more as DISHONERED than HITMAN, but definitely all (including HITMAN) are fantastic immersive sims - in a way that WEIRD WEST disappointingly wasn't. . .i.e. "fun." Also, like HITMAN, they do a good job of incentivizing you to play some more in the encounters, with the challenges and (iirc) time trials (I have all HITMAN games, but have only recently had to force myself to play other maps than PARIS, SAPIENZA or MIAMI - which - over 100 something hours in all games are the only maps I really play in order to get full mastery).

. . .D3 in particular is just such a funner time than SHADOW TACTICS, which was itself a blast to play, so I'm expecting this to just dial things up even more so. Also the art aesthetic already looks much improved over D3.

God I love mimimi for reviving this genre. Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 and one of my favorite games. Im day one on this. Fuck yeah, what great news. To anyone new to this genre I highly recommend you give them a try. The ratings speak for themselves.

Bragr

Banned
These guys are one of the top small studios out there. Shadow Tactics and Desperados III are great games.

Looks like this is gonna be a bit more fantasy-oriented, which allows them to use more fantastical powers, which is fine. Very excited about this game.

amigastar

Does someone know if it will be on Game Pass?
Game comes out in 6 days. With all the other great games this year it got lost under the radar unfortunately.

Last edited:

Pey.

It won't. It will be the first self-published game, so it's important to support them. And it's an amazing game.

Probably not.

However, we dont know August 2nd drop yet. And also the game doesnt have an option to pre order yet on the xbox store.

But probably not.

Since there's no OT or review thread, here is my in-depth review (10/10) with lots of 4K screenshots (it's in Spanish but read fine with Google Translate): https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/08/16/shadow-gambit-the-cursed-crew-review/

And my quote is: "Shadow Gambit is not only the best Mimimi game to date, but also a first big step towards the evolution of the genre".
Hopefully they finally list it on the damn store. Been waiting to pre-order it. That sounds pretty great. Loved their last 2 games.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Downloading this on PS5 now and looking forward to playing this weekend. MiMiMi are such a talented bunch and it's really nice to see how they've expanded the formula in this one to incorporate some more free-from elements.

Since there's no OT or review thread, here is my in-depth review (10/10) with lots of 4K screenshots (it's in Spanish but read fine with Google Translate): https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/08/16/shadow-gambit-the-cursed-crew-review/

And my quote is: "Shadow Gambit is not only the best Mimimi game to date, but also a first big step towards the evolution of the genre".

gaf doesnt play stealth games cuz theyre bad at them, theres literally no hype about it on gaf even tho, gaf loves a high critic score. Was going to buy it day one but im still not finished with bg3.

gaf doesnt play stealth games cuz theyre bad at them, theres literally no hype about it on gaf even tho, gaf loves a high critic score. Was going to buy it day one but im still not finished with bg3.
Well I bought it.

It's supposedly about twice as long as Desperados 3 though, which I didn't see coming. 25-32 missions, and in past games each mission can take roughly an hour. So I will likely play this one in a month or two. I don't think I could finish it before Starfield, and you definitely don't want to drop these games half way through or you are likely starting over.

But yeah, these are literally the best stealth games in terms of advanced tactics and complex planning. Nothing else is even close.

Well I bought it.

It's supposedly about twice as long as Desperados 3 though, which I didn't see coming. 25-32 missions, and in past games each mission can take roughly an hour. So I will likely play this one in a month or two. I don't think I could finish it before Starfield, and you definitely don't want to drop these games half way through or you are likely starting over.

But yeah, these are literally the best stealth games in terms of advanced tactics and complex planning. Nothing else is even close.

Ill play it after Starfield as well, or alongside it, assuming I finish BG3 until then... excited to play it, shadow tactics and desperados are def in my top games of all time. gaf is missing out big time.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Yeah, a lot of people are sleeping on these guys. I never expected to get pulled into Shadow Tactics in the way that I did, but the completely different rhythm and pacing of the game make it a joy to play alongside others, always have them downloaded for when I'm in the mood for a break from the usual stuff.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Just heard of this yesterday (and I peruse many gaming sites, boards and podcasts). Zero marketing. No physical release. BUT it's received GREAT reviews. Desperados 3 was fun. So I'll likely get this.

Too bad it just slipped out there between Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield. Will it had some marketing.

BAD title too. They already had a Shadows Tactics. Should have had a more 'pirate-y' name since it IS a pirate themed game.

EDIT: There is a demo available for this on consoles and PC

Last edited:

graywolf323

I really wanna pick this up but money is a bit tight this pay period

sadly I missed out on the 25%+ off at Fanatical and GreenManGaming before they sold out 😕 I’d get it on Humble Store with my 20% off Choice member discount but they oddly seem to be the only store that doesn’t have the game

xrnzaaas

Just heard of this yesterday (and I peruse many gaming sites, boards and podcasts). Zero marketing. No physical release. BUT it's received GREAT reviews. Desperados 3 was fun. So I'll likely get this.

Too bad it just slipped out there between Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield. Will it had some marketing.

BAD title too. They already had a Shadows Tactics. Should have had a more 'pirate-y' name since it IS a pirate themed game.

EDIT: There is a demo available for this on consoles and PC
Mimimi is self publishing this so no retail release is understandable for a small studio like theirs. Unfortunately because of the reasons you've mentioned it's very likely it's not going to sell well despite good reception.

Last edited:

DocEbok

Mimimi is self publishing this so no retail release is understandable for a small studio like theirs. Unfortunately because of the reasons you've mentioned it's very likely it's not going to sell well despite good reception.
I want to play it...but Baldurs gate 3 is still consuming me for the foreseeable future -.-

Top Bottom