• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SETI has observed a strong signal that is Russian's that need funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji kabuto

I have noticed that alot of Russian sources are taking advantage of the fact that most of western ufologist
LOL
/conspiracy theories/tinfoil hat idiots hate NASA so fucking much because NASA is hiding the truth about UFO etc.

That created a market of anything Russian regarding extraterrestrial life or UFO = The truth Evil Illuminati NASA hiding from us all these years!!
I don't know if we should blame them for planing to take advantage of the useful and functional idiots of society.

As I said before if we discover a method of traveling faster than light I'm willing to bet it will be something we never even considered for a variety of reasons and it will basically amount to hacking the very fabric of space and time. I don't think it will be anything as straight forward as a spaceship that can somehow go faster than light because of a special engine or even a worm hole. It will probably be something so weird and abstract that we never saw it coming and hell we would probably discover it by mistake.

JvR5wWT.jpg

But yeah i could see them discovering a particle at the large hadron collider that "turns space inside out" or something crazy that could be applied to FTL travel.

MCN

Banned
We could be the most "human" and most other intelligent species lack certain emotions. I could see more problem solving, colonizing species out there who have never had a war or argument, they simply have no capacity for it. We could ruin them with our concepts.

Have you been watching Galaxy Quest?

ced

In addition to this, turns out they didn't sit on the announcement, it just took more than a year to get around to finding the signal in the data. This is mentioned by Eric in that thread and confirmed in another forum which I can't find now.

That is a sweeping telescope so it scans a lot and probably doesn't have the resources to keep up with the data, nor an automated system to analyze it. In other words, it's rather useless unless it finds some repeating beacon.

fallout

Until he's wrong.
Shouldn't there be a peer review of this kind of thing. Why should we take one guy's word.
He sounds jaded as fuck.
I remember in the movie Contact (1997) TM , the main character had people outright denying her funding to continue researching. People like this guy.
He's being skeptical, and rightfully so. SETI have been doing this for years and have looked at lots of data. Over time, they've developed criteria for what makes an interesting result. This doesn't meet that criteria (yet, anyway).

That doesn't mean we dismiss it outright, but we also don't divert all of our available resources to look into a likely false positive. We add it to the pile of: "slightly more interesting than nothing" results, give it a bit more attention than the nothing results and move on.

So what is SETI looking at exactly if it can't find these signals and it is taking so long to move the telescopes to this location?
What is SETI even looking at? Apparently the shit they are looking at is crap anyway so why not look at this star?
What's your problem?

Anyway, per this, they're looking at it. I wouldn't expect them to find anything, though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I noticed a lot of space related data such as Mars images, start light emissions, etc, aren't even analyzed using deep neural networks and instead rely on human analysis. I remember partaking in this myself a few years ago and didn't understand how they couldn't automate the classification to find the most interesting data easily.

Sometimes I wish I had become a programmer:(

We could be the most "human" and most other intelligent species lack certain emotions. I could see more problem solving, colonizing species out there who have never had a war or argument, they simply have no capacity for it. We could ruin them with our concepts.

Can't be more basic and fundamental than fighting for resources.

The morelikely scenario for a space traveling species is that they don't give a fuck about other living beings.

Alx

I noticed a lot of space related data such as Mars images, start light emissions, etc, aren't even analyzed using deep neural networks and instead rely on human analysis. I remember partaking in this myself a few years ago and didn't understand how they couldn't automate the classification to find the most interesting data easily.

Sometimes I wish I had become a programmer:(

Neural networks need training data to work. They can't recognize stuff until you've shown them many, many samples of what to recognize and what to ignore. So someone has to manually label all those samples to begin with.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Neural networks need training data to work. They can't recognize stuff until you've shown them many, many samples of what to recognize and what to ignore. So someone has to manually label all those samples to begin with.

There is countless such data already available so that's not an issue.

Alx

But I doubt such data has enough examples of "interesting stuff" (certainly not intelligent life, since that's what we're looking for), so you'd have a lot of data in the "BAD" category, and none/few in the "GOOD".
But in case you do have such data, you don't need to be a programmer to feed them to a learning algorithm, all big players in AI have released their toolkit for such tasks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But I doubt such data has enough examples of "interesting stuff" (certainly not intelligent life, since that's what we're looking for), so you'd have a lot of data in the "BAD" category, and none/few in the "GOOD".
But in case you do have such data, you don't need to be a programmer to feed them to a learning algorithm, all big players in AI have released their toolkit for such tasks.

Go to planethunters.org or zooniverse.org. All the needed data is already being classified by people, enough to feed a neural network.

aaaaa0

You want the neural network to filter out "boring", and pass the "interesting" stuff onto humans.

We've probably got plenty of "boring" signals already classified that we can teach the AI with, so this might actually work.

Alx

But you need both boring and not-boring signals to train a neural network so it can learn to make the difference. Also you need many kinds of similar not-boring examples ; neural networks (and most learning algorithms) are designed to ignore outliers, ie the cases that are unique and unlike anything else. And in that case it's exactly what we're looking for.

aaaaa0

But you need both boring and not-boring signals to train a neural network so it can learn to make the difference. Also you need many kinds of similar not-boring examples ; neural networks (and most learning algorithms) are designed to ignore outliers, ie the cases that are unique and unlike anything else. And in that case it's exactly what we're looking for.

Neural nets are good at pattern matching, IE it is good at telling you if a new pattern is similar to one it has already seen. That how things like image recognition work.

So we train it with all the "boring" examples of signals we already have seen.

That means it will be now be able to tell us whether a signal is similar to any of those "boring" examples it has been trained on, and it can give us a confidence number on that match.

Then, when you submit new signals to it, anything it has low confidence on matching to a "boring" example, we pass to a human who classifies it as "boring" or "interesting", and feeds that new signal back into the neural net to train it further.

Basically, we are not using the neural net to tell us what is "interesting", we're using it to filter out things we know are "boring", and thus we don't need any examples of "interesting" signals to train it.

fallout

Oh, look. It came from Earth:

On August 30, 2016 there appeared a number of reports in different mass media on possible detection of a radio signal at RATAN-600 associated with the activity of an extraterrestrial civilization; in this connection, we consider it necessary to make official comments.

In the framework of this program, an interesting radio signal at a wavelength of 2.7 cm was detected in the direction of one of the objects (star system HD164595 in Hercules) in 2015. Subsequent processing and analysis of the signal revealed its most probable terrestrial origin.

Ars Technica article on it:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...rs-saw-was-strong-because-it-came-from-earth/

On August 30, 2016 there appeared a number of reports in different mass media on possible detection of a radio signal at RATAN-600 associated with the activity of an extraterrestrial civilization; in this connection, we consider it necessary to make official comments.

In the framework of this program, an interesting radio signal at a wavelength of 2.7 cm was detected in the direction of one of the objects (star system HD164595 in Hercules) in 2015. Subsequent processing and analysis of the signal revealed its most probable terrestrial origin.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...rs-saw-was-strong-because-it-came-from-earth/

2999374-8194131681-dont-.jpg

And the lies come out.

anyone who hasn't seen Galaxy Quest needs to correct that deficiency!

also, SETI will never find anything. it's a massive waste of money that could go to other science research.

also, SETI will never find anything. it's a massive waste of money that could go to other science research.

HELL NO.

you want to turn off our ear to the universe? it's the only chance we have of detecting a message from other sentient beings out there. no fucking way should we end it, and just turn deaf.

we have to make sure if there's anyone out there sending messages we could possibly decipher as artificial and meaningful. and if we never find any alien radio signal on any wavelength from any direction, that alone is a valuable observation and tells us something about our place in this universe (or galaxy rather, i doubt we could receive an intergalactic radio signal heh).

aren't you curious??

i mean seriously, many soccer players get paid way more than what SETI funding costs.. bank execs get much bigger bonuses.. ONE goddamn predator drone costs almost twice as much as TWO years of SETI!

fallout

To some degree, I feel like it is a massive long shot that has no hope in hell of every detecting anything. That said:

1. It's the best option we've got (until super telescopes come online, anyway).
  2. It's really not that expensive and there would be very little we could do by putting that money elsewhere.
  3. As evidenced by this thread, SETI inspires a lot of people to think about extraterrestrial life. I believe there's real value there from a societal perspective.
And the lies come out.
... I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom