• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Democrats debating all night in hopes of stopping Betsy DeVos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okolonans

Neo Member
literally nobody actually wants DeVos for any reason other than Trump says so.

That's false. Plenty of advocates for school choice want her. For example, National Review ran an article in favor of her in the past few days (should still be on the front page of their website). It's not just one article either, I've heard their writers support her in their podcast called The Editors. Ben Shapiro also spoke positively about her. Both NRO and Ben Shapiro have been and are still critical of Trump.

Toxi

Banned
That's false. Plenty of advocates for school choice want her. For example, National Review ran an article in favor of her in the past few days (should still be on the front page of their website). It's not just one article either, I've heard their writers support her in their podcast called The Editors. Ben Shapiro also spoke positively about her. Both NRO and Ben Shapiro have been and are still critical of Trump.
Of course they want her, she fulfills their wet dream of destroying public education. The thought of their children having to compete with the lower class disgusts them.

That they have framed arguing against taxes for public schooling as "school choice" even as their kids already attend private schools is incredibly transparent.

Blader

The only positive thing I can say about DeVos is that she isn't a homophobe. So at least gay children can rest easy that their shitty education in the future has nothing to do with their sexual orientation and everything to do with their family's income.

The 2 repubs voting "No" is just for show. She embodies every hope and dream for Republicans with regards to education. End the Teachers Union, stop teaching evolution, stop teaching sex ed, use the voucher scam to keep black kids out of white schools.

Stop thinking this is Trump. All of these things Trump is doing are things nearly all of the Republican party want. Graham and McCain couldnt get elected today if they werent incumbents already. Likewise I dont see very many republicans elected these days that anyone would have voted for in the 80's and 90's.

The only positive thing I can say about DeVos is that she isn't a homophobe. So at least gay children can rest easy that their shitty education in the future has nothing to do with their sexual orientation and everything to do with their family's income.

Might want to sit down

I know /s

GhaleonEB

The two GOP senators voting against is plainly orchestrated so a few could voice their opposition, while still confirming DeVos. There's zero chance she won't be confirmed.

Which is not to say Dems shouldn't fight it tooth and nail. I'm just not getting my hopes up for any outcome other than confirmation. (And the subsequent damage to the public education system.)

sangreal

They already got 2. I just don't understand how those 2 can't talk some sense into one more Republican. No sense really.

neither of them are actually against her confirmation, which is clear from the fact that they supported her in committee and well, the obvious:

Republicans said privately that Collins and Murkowski waited to announce their opposition once the rest of the votes for DeVos were locked up. They said the rest of the GOP is firmly behind DeVos.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/susan-collins-betsy-devos-confirmation-234497

don't buy into their dog and pony show

Xe4

Banned
God if they let her through...

Man I just don't know how you guys are gonna last these 4 long years.

Luckily we only have to last 2 years before midterms happen and we can work towards mitigating some of the damage. Gonna be a tough fight with GOP Gerrymandering and most of the Senate seats being blue.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It's no use; Democracy is dead in America.

DeVosCorruption-table1-338.png

Democrats have been unified in opposing DeVos' confirmation, and Republicans Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkoswki of Alaska have said they will also vote "no."

....am I missing something? Did she want more money?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
God if they let her through...

Man I just don't know how you guys are gonna last these 4 long years.

They have no choice. The Dems would need a 3rd defection from the GOP to stop DeVos, they're powerless when it comes to stopping these appointments.

Because Devos is what the base wants.
My state doesn't speak for all Trump voters, but Tom Cotton made a Facebook post a few weeks ago saying he was looking forward to voting yes on her, and there was not a single positive comment. Not even by long-time Republican voters.

I called senators McCain and Flake. I'm pretty much going to try and call them every day for the rest of their time in office if she gets through with their help. Two of the worst senators this state has ever had.

akileese

My state doesn't speak for all Trump voters, but Tom Cotton made a Facebook post a few weeks ago saying he was looking forward to voting yes on her, and there was not a single positive comment. Not even by long-time Republican voters.

But those same people who do not like DeVos will still come out in November and vote Republican so it's not like it matters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's because she's blatantly incompetent. That said the GOP will confirm her because their base doesn't care all that much about the issue.

But those same people who do not like DeVos will still come out in November and vote Republican so it's not like it matters.

Exactly. They don't like her and feel she's incompetent and unqualified, but they don't care enough about the issue to actually punish the GOP. They care more about other issues.

Lo-Volt

The Republican whip seems formidable. I doubt the Democrats can stop DeVos from receiving her position. Though purple state Republicans might regret the backlash in 2018 if their races get tight.

I am having trouble digesting that we've built a system where the elected officials should be beholden to their constituents, and those constituents tell them in droves that they don't want X or Y, and the official is just like "....nah." I mean, I guess this is the expected result when people just vote for a party regardless of what it means?

Toxi

Banned
The Republican whip seems formidable. I doubt the Democrats can stop DeVos from receiving her position. Though purple state Republicans might regret the backlash in 2018 if their races get tight.
Sadly, it's 2020 when the majority of these assholes will be vulnerable.

But don't worry, us in Colorado will remember and will be bringing up DeVos.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They already got 2. I just don't understand how those 2 can't talk some sense into one more Republican. No sense really.
It's seems likely they were "blessed" no votes once they got the numbers they need.
Edit: covered fifty times already

Slacker

Chris Murphy's got jokes:

Chris Murphy ‏@ChrisMurphyCT

Took the 4am shift. The chances you will be watching are bested only by the chances a grizzly bear walks into your kid's school today.

Lo-Volt

Whoops. I was thinking of Toomey and he just won reelection. Gives his opponents plenty of time though, ahem.

Aaron

Shutting her down is a no brainer, but I have a feeling no one on the right side of the isle is gonna flip.
This is like saying voting against Trump for president is a no brainer.

People have forgotten about Bush Jr in the past election. Do you really think they'll remember one cabinet post four years later?

xsarien

daedsiluap
The fact that it's come to this, that the alternative is a rubber stamp for someone who's about as qualified to shape public school policy as I am to design rockets for NASA, is infuriating.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
For the 100th time in this thread alone, she already voted yes for DeVos in committee where her vote actually mattered. She is voting 'no' now because it is meaningless

Forgive me that I didn't see the 99 other times that this was mentioned.

BajiBoxer

Banned
When she wants to use the schools to advance "God's Kingdom", I'm skeptical of how long that attitude of tollerence will stay in place.

Order pizzas online for delivery to the senators offices, with messages attached expressing your disapproval of her nomination.

People unfamiliar with how politics works are misunderstanding the situation.

It isn't the case that there are two Republican defectors.

Rather, the Republican Caucus understands that this is a contentious vote that might hit legislators hard come election time. Because the Caucus has two more people than it needs to pass DeVos, the Caucus strategically selected two Republicans to vote no so that they can be spared the backlash come election time. It is extremely unlikely that a third Republican will vote "no" - this is all planned, and this is very normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom