• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Celebrates Yakuza’s Anniversary With Upcoming Livestream

Mista

Banned
Yakuza.jpg

Exactly 14 years ago, on December 8, 2005, the first Yakuza (locally known as Ryu ga Gotoku) for PlayStation 2 rocked Japan.

Today Sega announced that to celebrate the entrance into the 14th-anniversary year of the franchise, there will be a celebratory livestream.

The announcement was made on Twitter, mentioning that the livestream will be aired on December 18.

To represent the two generations of Yakuza, in attendance we’ll see Kazuma Kiryu’s voice actor Takaya Kuroda and the voice of new protagonist Ichiban Kasuga, Kazuhiro Nakatani.

Kazza

People like to talk about "old Sega" (i.e. console-era Sega) and their games, but personally Yakuza is my favourite ever Sega series ever (and probably my favourite game series ever). No other game makes me smile and laugh more than a Yakuza game. While I'd love a surprise announcement here, I'm sure they are just having a well-earned celebration of the series.

I love how Yakuza is finally getting the recognition it deserved from day one. It's an amazing game series, possibly my personal favorite. Keep'em coming SEGA! (but don't compromise on quality, though. We don't want another Dead Souls Incident)

sublimit

Banned
I'm sure this celebration will be about 10% old Yakuza titles and 90% about Yakuza 7. Not very interesting for me to be honest.

Isa

Hope its good. I just played the demo for Ryu ga Gotoku 7 last night and I couldn't stop smiling the entire time. The references, humor, design, music, sound FX and design were all top notch. I can't wait to replay the first couple of games on Xbox next year. Its kind of crazy how talented this studio and its writers are. I'm glad that Sega has been getting back on track.

I'm a huge fan of Yakuza since the ps2 days, but I'm not happy with the removal of real time combat and the switch to turn based combat.

TBH I'm still bummed about the change from beat em up to turn based combat. Way to ruin a good thing. Anyway, I do appreciate the attention SEGA has given to PC lately, I hope we'll see Yakuza 6 ported as well someday.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just started Yakuza 0 this past weekend after having it in my library forever. I also bought the Yakuza PS3 games during each of their launches and never played them ;_;

What's even more amazing about this series is that in those 14 years they've been releasing games yearly whilst constant improving with no signs of showing down.

Mista

Banned
I didn't.
I never play demos, early access and that sort of stuff. I don't mind waiting for a full release.
I stopped playing demos for a long time but this one right here was the nail in the coffin for me. Either I’ll like the new system or not

After playing the demo, I don’t mind the new system at all. Whatever doubts I had disappeared.

Kazza

To help celebrate this momentous occasion, I'm giving away a free PC copy of Yakuza Kiwami (got it with this month's Humble Bundle, but I already own it). First one to ask gets it!

Edit: please post an appropriate Yakuza gif along with the request :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

silentz

Banned
To help celebrate this momentous occasion, I'm giving away a free PC copy of Yakuza Kiwami (got it with this month's Humble Bundle, but I already own it). First one to ask gets it!

Edit: please post an appropriate Yakuza gif along with the request :messenger_beaming:

Can I have it?

iu

Edit: Thank you man!

Last edited:
Top Bottom