• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves on PS5 requires a Microsoft account to play (due to cross progression)

Topher

Gold Member
Welcome to the Xbox ecosystem, new friends.

So any old Microsoft account is the Xbox ecosystem now?

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Pelta88

Needing to fire up an old XBL account to play a XB exclusive on PS is kinda surreal.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Can't forget something I didn't know, now can I?
Everyone acting like this is new and exciting info when it was pretty much a given because of Minecraft (y'know, one of the highest selling games of all time), it's not just targeted at you. This is just a stupid thread is all.

Topher

Gold Member
Everyone acting like this is new and exciting info when it was pretty much a given because of Minecraft (y'know, one of the highest selling games of all time), it's not just targeted at you. This is just a stupid thread is all.

Sure, but the last time I played Minecraft Microsoft didn't own it. Could be true for a lot of others. I dunno. Just don't think its that big a deal.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Interesting. I was curious if Sony was going to allow this or not.
Yup. And this is just the foot in the door. Duty will likely require one too. Then one day (years from now) you will need to pay a separate fee to play Duty online, on a PS6.

Topher

Gold Member
Yup. And this is just the foot in the door. Duty will likely require one too. Then one day (years from now) you will need to pay a separate fee to play Duty online, on a PS6.

I'm looking forward to logging into my Microsoft account and getting Platinum in Starfield.

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

Taycan77

Cool for Microsoft I guess, Phil gets to boast about more players in the Xbox ecosystem.

Meanwhile, I'll be using my Windows log-in e-mail to ensure I can access their catalogue on PS5.

I'm just waiting for the announcement of the next wave of ports.

Starfield, Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 4/5 would be great.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sure, but the last time I played Minecraft Microsoft didn't own it. Could be true for a lot of others. I dunno. Just don't think its that big a deal.
Yeah, if this was a single player game it would be noteworthy but having an account with the publisher for cross play in an MMO is normal these days.

pqueue

no problem with this.

whatsoever.

i have to have a sony account just to use my damn playstation, when i should just be able to play whatever disc I stick in there.

Last edited:

killatopak

i have to have a sony account just to use my damn playstation, when i should just be able to play whatever disc I stick in there.
You can. you just can’t update any game. You can play entirely offline if you want. And no very little amount of games require a day 1 patch to go from beginning to end.

Kerotan

That's a huge win cross progression. Will give people a reason to switch to ps5. Obviously Xbox monthly active users will increase because they'll include people playing SOT.

Kokoloko85

And it was the only game I was interested in. Unless I can use my hotmail account, Thats a no from me buying the game

laynelane

I hate these things. Downloaded and was going to play Immortals Fenyx Rising when it was on game pass but it wanted some Ubisoft sign-in. That’s fine. Deleted. Wasn’t that interested to have to jump through an unnecessary corporate hoop to play a game.

The last time I encountered this sort of thing was with EA games on PS3. It put me off buying their games to this day (along with ads on a game's title page). I've never been able to put my finger on what bothers me about it, but you hit the nail on the head. It is jumping through unnecessary corporate hoops and it's not something I'm willing to do.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Microsoft is going to consider these "sign up" from PS5 as xbox userbase,

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is kind of a ... no shit... thing. Of course you are going to need am
Account to play an online game. 😵‍💫

yurinka

They should do the same with all multiplatform games, to implement crossprogression. But to make it optional: in this case, you shouldn't need to create or use an Xbox account if you only plan to play on PS.

MrRibeye

"due to cross progression" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hahahahaha what a lie, let's see if you need to login to a Microsoft account when playing Hi-Fi Rush.

Top Bottom