• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves on PS5 requires a Microsoft account to play (due to cross progression)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"due to cross progression" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hahahahaha what a lie, let's see if you need to login to a Microsoft account when playing Hi-Fi Rush.

Hi-Fi Rush is a single player game, Sea of Thieves is an online game with co-op (and now cross-play). They're two completely different case-examples.

Grounded will also probably require a Microsoft account.

Last edited:

Fredrik

trojan horse gates GIF by South Park
Kinda, but it’s a lousy one, pointless tbh. To be a real functional trojan horse it would’ve been required to have a Game Pass subscription. Now it’s just a Microsoft Account afaik, like when you install Windows or whatever. Mostly annoying and nothing gained for MS.

TheBomb

I mean Sony must have known Microsoft next moves for a while to allow this. Right? I’m not familiar with all that.

Shwing

I hope this is true, as if there is no cross progression I'll be passing on a purchase as I've no intention to build a new character up to Pirate Lord after spending hours doing just that on pc.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Did everyone forget Minecraft has had this for like YEARS now?
Exactly.

In Minecraft's case it is optional tho. But still, this isn't a big deal.

And now I'm reminded SoT just had a recent update for solo servers. Now I wonder does it have friends only servers.

It's an online game, I don't understand what the drama is about. There would be something to talk about if they enforced that in a singleplayer game.
This feels like another thing some are trying to use to create drama where there should be none.

Hopefully in a few years things get back to normal.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
"due to cross progression" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hahahahaha what a lie, let's see if you need to login to a Microsoft account when playing Hi-Fi Rush.

Sea of Thieves is a MMO with all player data stored on Rare's servers. You need a MS account to play the Steam version as well. Without the MS account the game simply doesn't work as Rare doesn't host platform-specific servers.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And now I'm reminded SoT just had a recent update for solo servers. Now I wonder does it have friends only servers.

You can't really play the game on Safer Seas. It's more of a solo sandbox instance to try things out. Rewards are reduced by 30% and progression is capped at level 40. Meaning it's impossible to play the end game, and you can't level up Reapers at all.

In comparison the level cap in the normal game is 100 and there's now a CoD style prestige system where once you hit 100 in a trading company you can gain a ring from them and reset back down to level 1 and go to 100 again. This can be repeated several times.

Top Bottom