• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scotty W visits Nintendo HQ.

Scotty W

Gold Member
So I am visiting Kyoto right now, and I thought it would be fun to commodity my time here by doing a write up for fictional internet points. So here we go. There are 3 parts to this: Nintendo/Kyoto, Sonobe, and Fushimi Inari. I have not carefully researched and I will be making observations based on superficial impressions. If that displeases you, then these duck bottoms from the Heian Jingu park are for you.
TRWU0dO.jpg

ooAezY8.jpg

The most important place in any Japanese city is the big train station. The Nintendo headquarters are about a 20 minute walk south of Kyoto station. The headquarters are two very large buildings. Think of it like this.

Nintendo has its two buildings on 1&2, 8&9. The area in general is basically an industrial park. It is crazy that a house like this can just nonchalantly exist next to where they made Super Mario 3. I sat on a bench in the little sports park in 4 and played through the first world of that game
DS.

Here are some photos of their neighbors. Note on the truck there are some dolphins. These are clearly the origin of the dolphins in Super Mario World.
mPNS5Wk.jpg

OFwAL4A.jpg

The outsides of both buildings look identical with millions of these white bricks and surrounded by a shrubbery, which is red at the moment. It might be where the idea for the Piranha flower comes from. Overall, the property has a Wii aesthetic.
sQSht3t.jpg

J6sjuIu.jpg

x3MHZzL.jpg

The front gate is open, but of course you can’t go in. The last thing they want is another gaijin weeb wanting to come in and talk to Miyamoto, so I just stood outside and took some photos. As you can see they have these nice rolling hills with pathways. It made me think of the ghost area at the start of Super Mario Odyssey. Also, notice that they have an athletics area- they have this at both buildings.

UsqpUPi.jpg

OHHruZU.jpg

Unfortunately, I arrived too late to see any employees. Last time I was here I saw them leaving, including one of the famous ones. In fact, look at those 2 figures coming out of the cafe Gusto across the street. That may as well be Miyamoto and Aonuma, right?

bMRL0KS.jpg

One thing I didn’t get a photo of, since my feet were exhausted, was a little bit past 3 in my map above there is a little maker space called ‘Labo’ something. Based on what Miyamoto has said about where he lives (in the Starfox Zero promotion he says he lives near the Fushimi Inari shrine) he must go past this place every day.

Also here are some pictures of the nearby train stations. Aonuma I am sure looked carefully at these when he was making Spirit Tracks. Note the trains come equipped with cannons.

jcllcV3.jpg

3BvQ5Oc.jpg

One very interesting thing, if you again recall my map above, is that in 6, there is a large scale building being built. Obviously Nintendo is making another studio in order to work on Metroid games a lot faster.

VlgnKPN.jpg

ZE8Xsai.jpg

Finally, near number 9 on my map, there is a steak place where I am sure they have had a million company lunches. It is probably where they got the idea from for the food track in Mario Kart. There was also a piece of white lace on the ground which I stupidly didn’t think to photograph- even though it was probably where the idea for Peach’s dress came from. And then finally there is a 711 Lawsons and a Porche dealer across the road from the entrance.

88iyQ0I.jpg

lPkOxCX.jpg

One thing I would like to add about Kyoto is the river. There are a number of rivers, but there is one main river that splits the central area in two. The lights reflecting off the river at night are, I am sure, the source of many inspirations.

MlGXNbA.jpg

Scotty W

Gold Member
The next day I went to Sonobe, which is where Miyamoto grew up. It was about a 1 hour ride from Kyoto station. On the train there was a guy who initially looked just like him (wearing a mask, which is also the same reason I cannot be sure that I also didn’t see Shinzo Abe on another train), I didn’t dare take a photo of his face, but he got out at Sonobe station with me, so here is the photo I got from behind. Maybe it is his brother?

lTQViAe.jpg

There is not much going on in Sonobe. It is SMALL, it is mostly plains with some mountains thrown in the middle. I walked up a hill and there was a little forest, and I went into the forest and wasted 40 minutes climbing the mountain in the forest for nothing. It looked like they harvest bamboo in the forest. Note the small cave. Also the photo of the pile of sticks is from the top.

mepbA67.jpg

K5C91pD.jpg

7EE0Q7Q.jpg

This looks like such a peaceful town. There was very little industrial noise. I took a photo of a pretty little house where I imagine he grew up, because he apparently went to school near here. Noteworthy here are a lovely shrine and a Catholic school where I surmise he must have first seen the cross that ended up on the shield in Zelda.

O1RPOGm.jpg

hwkrXt5.jpg

tXQ1lkv.jpg

m68tcex.jpg

There is a castle which towers over the town, but I have no idea how old it is. It is next to a library where he must have read many books.

gJHqiaT.jpg

XNKMJ7i.jpg

At the outside of what I think is his old school there is a gate next to a tower. Google maps tells me these are the ruins of an old castle. So he grew up next to castle ruins.

WsVefqP.jpg

AXoLBN3.jpg

Anyhow, the school and the new castle are all clustered together into an area which includes some sports fields and a small mountain. This is probably one of the mountains where he played growing up, but I couldn’t find any caves. Maybe if I looked harder, but my feet were tired. Anyhow, there are a bunch of ancient tombs on the top, which is about a 10 minute climb.

(Library)
JJF1KAK.jpg

fErgJ7f.jpg

JtNuqAq.jpg

r9Euy16.jpg

I descended to the Sonobe river where he apparently played. I think there is a story somewhere of him catching a fish here. In any case, my view of the river was not so pretty, but I got this half decent shot of some birds posing.

D9cON1d.jpg

Looking at my map I noticed that there are some lakes in the hills behind some temples. Recalling the story of Miyamoto finding a secret lake I went too. They are basically man made lakes or reservoirs.

I took a photo from up above the lakes. Notice the mountains in the distance. Clearly, this is the inspiration for the Zelda cover.

oqNcfVd.jpg

aqc2EGu.jpg

I8wxzcn.jpg

And check out these bushes! Obviously they are sculpted, but it is likely that these were the kind of bushes they had in mind when they made the bushes in Zelda.

hS9JOFN.jpg

One last thing.

DuzrjTU.jpg

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
I am staring to think you might actually be Scott The Woz considering your love for Nintendo. Anyways, thanks for the exclusive pics.

Sephimoth

I thought their borders are closed? I've been having to keep postponing my trip since last April

Love Kyoto

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Imagine that wall outside Nintendo anywhere else in the world, would be covered in graffiti and shit.

Irobot82

I think it is impossible to get in. I am-to embarrassed to ask, and you can’t jump the walls because they have sensors on the top.
Ok so you really were just stalking a building. Did you at least have other plans on your vacation?

Kenpachii

as the guy is 68 years old i wonder what it would look like 50-60 years ago, probably entirely different world.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
God, their HQ building looks horrible, like a prison or something.

Just look at Sony's HQ:
ekqPYm6.jpg

Everyday, I grow a new fond hatred for Nintendo.

Such a sleazy company.
I think Nintendo looks more like a hospital. Especially the inside..

It's all just white. Nothing like you'd imagine from the company that made Super Mario.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OP go to Super Nintendo Land in Universal Studios in February instead. The only thing you can do at Nintendo HQ is look at the outside.

I never thought Japan would be so emptied of people walking about. Cool pictures!

By the way. Can you go knock on Nintendo's front door, and ask them when my Switch Pro will get here?

Great Hair

Banned

It's all just white. Nothing like you'd imagine from the company that made Super Mario.

Then again, Nintendo is evil af!
In addition to monitoring his private life, including aspects of his education, when he left the house and where he went ...

Scotty W

Gold Member
I never thought Japan would be so emptied of people walking about. Cool pictures!

By the way. Can you go knock on Nintendo's front door, and ask them when my Switch Pro will get here?
Nintendo is an industrial people hang out in industrial parks at sunset. Though there was a kids soccer practice about to start in that little field...

Scotty W

Gold Member

It really stands out from the surrounding area. The grounds are very nicely kept and everything has a kind of zen like tranquility to it- like the Wii.

The contrast to Sony is stark. I randomly came across the HQ one day in Tokyo in one of the ritziest areas of town (Shinagawa).

Scotty W

Gold Member
After almost a year Scotty gets a notification about a new reply to his tour of Nintendo HQ...
It was my doing, since I mentioned in another thread that I predicted Nintendo was going to add another building.

But what would make me really happy is if someone bumped my Aaron Carter thread.

Reactions: TLZ
Yeah i never saw this before but Scotty, what are you doing?!?! You saw the lost princess peach lace just lying on the ground and you left it there? That’s been missing for generations ever since the platform wars of 1988, dear god man 😫

Top Bottom