• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen Fundraising Exceeds $600 Million

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
sluts playing out emojis on social media

CXmSWUTtwovDHom-800x450-noPad.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
It can have 20 million users. The game is still not officially released.
"Officially" is just a technicality. It's out there and people are paying to play it. If it officially released tomorrow what would be different from today?

"Officially" is just a technicality. It's out there and people are paying to play it. If it officially released tomorrow what would be different from today?
Let's look at it from a gamers perspective, what was promised? And what have they delivered on and what have they failed to deliver on up to this point?

Corian33

I remember debating whether I should get Elite Dangerous when it first came out or just wait for Star Citizen since it would be way better and right around the corner 😂

I did end up getting the $40 version of Star Citizen, which is a good enough deal I guess if it’s ever finished. Strangely enough I’ve had more fun playing the FPS arena mode than the ship stuff. But also that was like 5 years ago so I have no idea now.

Ribi

I been on the fence for years...

Might bite with my new build, what's the cheapest price these days for the game?
$45 but occasionally there's a sale for $40 (it used to go as cheap as $30). There's a free flight (trial period to play) starting around Sept 1. Give it a try then.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
First thing that should have happened with this game was Squadron 42. That would be proof of concept.

It's been so long, it's become more of a meme than a game. I'm not sure on this, but I swear I remember this started funding before PS4 came out and people were hyping it saying it could never run on the PS4. Will it make it in time for the PS6?

chlorate

There is too much injustice in this world to spend emotional energy raging at a dumb unfinished MMO that half of its paypig fans Stan for constantly anyway

It’s a game that you can play. Is it a letdown compared to what was promised? Sure, just like the stuff Peter Molyneaux makes.

Last edited:
Star Citizen is the joke that just won’t quit.

It’s a project that deserves to die. Mismanaged to the extreme. I’m really not sure that even Chris Robert’s knows what Star Citizen is anymore. If anyone ever wants to see an example of extreme project creep then this is it. I mean, how many systems have had to be redesigned, how many ships rebuilt from the ground up, how many features scrapped or left unfinished, how much developer effort squandered. The audacity to have fallen so far behind with key deliverables like Squadron 42 only to allocate resource towards random shit like zero-g fps combat or world spanning procedural environments is farcical.

Why they didn’t focus on Squadron 42 from the beginning is beyond me. They could have had that game finished years ago and now be working on the persistent universe MMO. People would be way more forgiving if something, anything, had been released in a playable state. Instead we have to listen to Chris Robert nonchalantly explain why he decided why it was best to push the latest deadline back due to some new feature he thought up in the shower that morning.

You can literally log into the game right now, fly your ship, go mining, go explore a cave and kill enemies, etc.

I feel like anyone who posts about it being a scam should have played a few hours of it recently. Otherwise, they are just talking out of their ass and jumping on the “scam” bandwagon. Sure, it’s slow, but the game is coming along. Recent gameplay.

I follow some streamers that play the game frequently, the game was a impressive in 2014 but nowadays it's just a mid space simulator.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You can literally log into the game right now, fly your ship, go mining, go explore a cave and kill enemies, etc.

I feel like anyone who posts about it being a scam should have played a few hours of it recently. Otherwise, they are just talking out of their ass and jumping on the “scam” bandwagon. Sure, it’s slow, but the game is coming along. Recent gameplay.

My guy, its not about the game being fake, it's about the amount of money they scammed people for the things the game does/offers. Considering their budget this should've been done by now or it has to be the most insane game ever made, like literally a 10/10 with 0 flaws. It's not even half way there, no release in sight, and nothing the game offers hasnt been done. It's a fucking scam. No, scratch that, they are 100% laundering money and no one is investigating them. They probably put most of the expense under the voice actors/mocaps. Even the most expensive movie in the world is far much lower than this game. At this point, only a complete idiot would not see this a highly suspicious.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I've played many hours. It is a buggy,horrible mess. Together with my sons we have yet to complete ONE mission. Not even a simple fetch job. So why don't they fix shit that needs fixing? Because of this stupid donation system. They don't care about sales when dumbasses keep freely giving them money for stupid shit. Not completing the game is their business model. That's where we are.

I want to be a SC defender but I just can't.

Thank God for Starfield.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Once again, I blame the simps.

Man it would be so easy to make bank on the Internet. But you need the mentality for screwing people. If you sell insurance you might consider changing careers.

Buggy Loop

I know it’s easy to bash on Star Citizen but it’s taking shape

They seem to be having fun and reminds me of the early Eve online gangs.

Since that video they added the persistence. So a lot of building blocks needed to go ahead are there and in working condition.

The feature creep was totally insane, but still, i feel like we're starting to see it coming together.

phant0m

Since that video they added the persistence. So a lot of building blocks needed to go ahead are there and in working condition.

The feature creep was totally insane, but still, i feel like we're starting to see it coming together.
I agree. While it's super easy to dunk on them in terms of what people consider a "game", the scale of what they're actually building is insane. And not just from a "size" perspective; the really insane part is the scope of interactivity.

I always like to compare with No Man's Sky. Another huge scale universe with nearly limitless possibilities, right?

How to fly your ship in NMS:
  1. Approach ship
  2. Hold F to enter ship
  3. Ready to fly!
How to enter your ship in SC:
  1. Approach ship
  2. Open ramp/door
  3. Walk in ship
  4. Close ramp/door
  5. Walk to cockpit
  6. Press F on captain's chair
  7. Start engine
  8. Ready to fly!

And this is just one example. This is SC's approach to gameplay that permeates through all elements of the game. Things that other games "automate"/skip via single button presses (usually because they are not innately "fun" activities), Star Citizen makes you do each individual task. Press the button, turn on the light, flip switches, physically move something from some location to another, etc etc.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
“Scam” citizen?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Think I tried this 2 years ago. Ran like absolute shit on my 3080 and had no tutorial, nothing, going on. It had a random pvp mode for a poor man’s CoD I tried as well within it.

Refunded it. They fought me on it but I got my money back. Shit was sub 30 fps .

EDMIX

My guy, its not about the game being fake, it's about the amount of money they scammed people for the things the game does/offers. Considering their budget this should've been done by now or it has to be the most insane game ever made, like literally a 10/10 with 0 flaws. It's not even half way there, no release in sight, and nothing the game offers hasnt been done. It's a fucking scam. No, scratch that, they are 100% laundering money and no one is investigating them. They probably put most of the expense under the voice actors/mocaps. Even the most expensive movie in the world is far much lower than this game. At this point, only a complete idiot would not see this a highly suspicious.

Truth

I was just going to say, we have fucking games that cost many times less then that which have much more actual content for anyone to buy that this is what 600 million gets you, using this fucking logic, having the amount of actual content that Starfield has, would cost Starcitizen's developers aka scammers 2 billion and 25 years to complete lol

Topher

Gold Member

Are we? I want that to be the case, but there still doesn't seem to be hardware that can handle the game and bugs are killing the experience. I just don't see any progress outside of getting more money from morons.

EDMIX

Are we? I want that to be the case, but there still doesn't seem to be hardware that can handle the game and bugs are killing the experience. I just don't see any progress outside of getting more money from morons.

Agreed, I love an ambitious game too, but 600 million is simply not needed for how bare this fucking game is for anyone to give excuses for all its problems.

So let me guess, they need another 600 million to have the real, real, frfr, big facts this time, dead ass, REAL TALK version of the game? Anyone think its odd this game is several times more expensive then any other AAA game, yet still not complete or even near complete? So this shit sounds like a scam, its not even saying NO game is being made, its saying the actual game they are claiming is being made, never existed and they are just lying to people to keep funding this

This game isn't even near what they originally talked about a decade ago for anyone to pretend that its adding more "features" that caused this, they have no intention of actually making such a game, they have an intention of taking money.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont care how "ambitious" the game is, at some point they have to release it. People complain about publishers but at same time they are the ones pressuring the devs to release their game which is something SC devs need right about now.

Last edited:
At some point either people need to stop donating to this horseshit, or it needs to be investigated for fraud.
There is no way that 600 million has go e towards the game development, no way. GTA6 won't cost that much. Starfield cost maybe 150 million.

there are people paying for sluts playing out emojis on social media, so this doesn`t surprise me anymore.
This is one of the weirdest and most stupid phenomenons I've ever seen. I don't think there has ever been a thing that made me feel so old.

"What.. What am I watching?"

That anyone would even watch it for free blows my mind, let alone pay a dime for it.

Last edited:

dezzy8

So if I make an early access game and charge people to help further development is that officially releasing a game? When the devs get to a point where they can say that they’re going to officially launch the title then I’ll jump in. Until then I can wait. I am in no rush.

Ribi

So if I make an early access game and charge people to help further development is that officially releasing a game? When the devs get to a point where they can say that they’re going to officially launch the title then I’ll jump in. Until then I can wait. I am in no rush.
The point is "officially released" is simply a phrase in today's landscape and not a defined state of any game. For example: NMS was "officially released" with a shallow game... Unfinished even but it was released. Sea of thieves might was well have been in early access the way it released.

Release means jack shit with regards to content nowadays. Hell even fortnite made billions in beta before it ever officially released.

At some point either people need to stop donating to this horseshit, or it needs to be investigated for fraud.
There is no way that 600 million has go e towards the game development, no way. GTA6 won't cost that much. Starfield cost maybe 150 million.
Donating $30 because I can actually walk around a planet without a loading screen. Maybe if SF had a bigger budget they could do the same that a game in alpha can do vs one that is about to be released

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Star Citizen - the reason I no longer give Kickstarter any money.
No matter how tempting the project is, I'd never give money to a KS campaign.

There is zero consequence of the developers of any project to release it or refund back your money. It's literally like giving someone $100 and all you get back is an "Ok dude, we'll back to you when it's done. Dont contact us, we'll contact you. Bye."

No thanks. I'll wait for a final release and grab it from Amazon, Walmart or a gaming e-store.

Top Bottom