• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biske

She sent Jack to the past before she stopped existing. She broke them out of the flow of time but her existence is stilled tied to Aku

Jack is out of time and obvious it's established your rules don't apply to him. He isn't tied to Aku

No paradox in the rules of this fiction.

Hell getting sent to the future causes Jack to not age. Further proving time applies to him differently

posting this here since new page,

Jack is already back when Aku dies, so why would he be affected

Jack's birth wasn't erased from history, his parents are alive.

Ashi's birth was erased from history, her "parents" were killed.

She sent Jack to the past before she stopped existing. She broke them out of the flow of time but her existence is stilled tied to Aku

Jack is out of time and obvious it's established your rules don't apply to him. He isn't tied to Aku

No paradox in the rules of this fiction.

Hell getting sent to the future causes Jack to not age. Further proving time applies to him differently

Yeah sure, Jack exists out of time. I can get behind that, but it just feels lazy. Like honestly, having multiple timelines exist would have been a more satisfying ending if Jack killed Aku in the future and the past or something.

Dude read seriously. No one is saying Jack shouldn't exist. They're saying Jack shouldnt be allowed to travel back in time if his time portal, Ashi, was erased from existence.

Ashi's birth was erased from history, her "parents" were killed

His past self was still sent into the future, how would not be able to get back to the past with Ashi.

The only way I could see this working, is if he found a time portal himself, not with Ashi. You could argue then that his past self found a time portal and defeated Aku in the past in the same way, even if the portal was found in a more peaceful future timeline.

Sure, I'd still have issues, but I'd be more likely to accept that scenario over this one.

Not talking about Jack's birth, yo : P

Biske

Furthermore

Once jack is back, and kills Aku, Aku effectively was never able to send Jack to the future. So jack is in his proper place either way

At most you can call the Ashi wedding tease a bit of fan service. Showing what almost was.

Ms.Galaxy

Has nothing to do with their birth.

He was sent to the past by someone who had the ability to do so. If that person was non-existent, then that means that means he couldn't have gone back. That's the paradox.

We also need to remember that this Jack remembers her, he remember and was shaped by events that didn't happen if Aku got killed. As such, him remaining in the past doesn't make sense because that Jack, 1., couldn't be there as there was no way to bring him there, 2., couldn't exist because he was shaped by the events of the Aku ruled future for 50+ years.

Furthermore

Once jack is back, and kills Aku, Aku effectively was never able to send Jack to the future. So jack is in his proper place either way.

They appeared after Aku sent Jack to the future, actually. So that event already happened.

Furthermore

Once jack is back, and kills Aku, Aku effectively was never able to send Jack to the future. So jack is in his proper place either way

At most you can call the Ashi wedding tease a bit of fan service. Showing what almost was.

But you literally see Aku send Jack to the future before Jack comes back and kills Aku

Furthermore

Um, they appeared after past Jack was sent to the future.

I seriously wonder where that one falls into this timeline. There are two immortal Jacks on Earth then, they will eventually meet.

dabig2

Because Jack needed Ashi, who is a direct result of Aku conquering the future, to send him back. If Ashi doesn't exist then Jack can't go back.

Try not to overthink Hollywood's time travel here. They went for the DoFP and BttF time travel where those who find themselves decoupled from the timestream are immune from its effects. Jack was decoupled because he had an existence that wasn't tied to the future timeline, Ashi didn't.

Why does Jack still have memories from this alt timeline that no longer exists?

Magic.

How can Jack get back to the past if he never truly existed in a future that no longer exists?

Magic.

Why didn't Ashi dissolve into nothing the instant Aku was killed in the past?

Magic.

A literal space wizard did it. It's a kid's cartoon. Don't overthink it or even attempt to make sense of it.

Try not to overthink Hollywood's time travel here. They went for the DoFP and BttF time travel where those who find themselves decoupled from the timestream are immune from its effects. Jack was decoupled because he had an existence that wasn't tied to the future timeline, Ashi didn't.

Magic.

How can Jack get back to the past if he never truly existed in a future that no longer exists?

Magic.

Magic.

A literal space wizard did it. It's a kid's cartoon. Don't overthink it or even attempt to make sense of it.

I get it. I really do. But I don't have to like that being the answer. And that's why I'm complaining. Because saying magic and walking away sucks, and is kind of lazy. Especially when they attempt to pull a
Gurren Lagann
with it, but you know its coming.

Biske

But you literally see Aku send Jack to the future before Jack comes back and kills Aku

Eh. Wobbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. In terms of time jumping he effectively never went to the future by time rules cause that future never happened and it was always the goal. Was always going to be a paradox by people's time travel rules. Was always going to be the problem of a show dedicated to undoing the future. Why complain now when you knew it would be this way all along.

It's always fascinating to me seeing people get hung up on time travel. Specially in this show like I said where no rules are talked about or established.

It's a means to tell the story, not the point of the story.

Can get hung up on details that where never the point and that's fun, but the show never cared.

Ms.Galaxy

Magic.

Magic.

Magic.

It lost that excuse when it was revived and aired in an adult targeted segment in the network. :p Also:

5a51eb_6239205.jpg

Defuser

Ok, Ashi comes from Ashi's mom and Aku. So it makes sense she couldn't exist because an Aku future never happen.

But now lets look at the Aku'less future, there is a high chance all the people like the scotsman will still exist but in form of some drastic changes like hypothetically he became a female irish viking instead but in essence she is still the scotsman, a counterpart. So probably Ashi's mom exist in some form but she probably isn't a psycho evil worshiping person, met another man and have 7 children which one of them is a Aku'less Ashi.

Think Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run.

Furthermore

They literally showed aku sending past Jack to the future.

I have no idea how you can claim he wasn't able to send him.

Magic.

Magic.

Magic.

A kid's cartoon that displays scenes like this on a regular basis. https://youtu.be/TX6tAvwubvA?t=37

Magic still has to adhere to rules, no magic is all powerful in this show.

Ms.Galaxy

Eh. Wobbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. In terms of time jumping he effectively never went to the future by time rules cause that future never happened and it was always the goal. Was always going to be a paradox by people's time travel rules. Was always going to be the problem of a show dedicated to undoing the future. Why complain now when you knew it would be this way all along.

It's always fascinating to me seeing people get hung up on time travel. Specially in this show like I said where no rules are talked about or established.

Can get hung up on details that where never the point and that's fun, but the show never cared.

Again, you're making excuses for bad writing. Going "eh" and "meh" to people pointing out the holes doesn't mean it isn't bad writing.

You like the ending? Great, more power to you. I don't and I can see a lot of issues with the writing with this episode that does effect my enjoyment of the episode.

Well I mean we never knew that time wasn't multiple timelines, one where maybe Jack defeats Aku in the future and then goes to the past and defeats Aku in the past. Or hell maybe Jack never made it back to the past and instead he just makes a better future for the current inhabitants of Earth. You're right rules were never talked about but it sucks to see them use a lame set of rules that seem to have a massive hole in them that's mostly explained away by Magic™ and to have Ashi just vanish walking to the alter because of those kind of lame time travel rules was unsatisfying.

Joyful

ashi disappearing doesnt make any sense
jack and ashi arrived from the future AFTER jack was sent to the future by aku
they didnt prevent jacks travel to the future at all, meaning all that future stuff still happened
fucking time travel stories

Are we sure Ashi vanishing was due to time travel? Or could the same thing have happened to her if they stayed in the future and defeated Aku there?

If it was going to happen anyway, then the answer is she did exist and send them back, and she could have kept living there if not for her life being connected to Aku.

Tsunamo

I think I could handle the ending if they didn't pull the ashi thing at the end or the pacing was better. Just let the man be happy, hasn't he suffered enough? :(

I guess I can look at the future okay if it's in the light of everyone will still exist just in a happier one in some way or form rather than everyone's erased that Jack became friends with there.

The first half was so great. Even more nods to the rest of the series and it felt very nostalgic (the opening meta in particular was amazing) It's a shame it didn't get a few more episodes so the pacing would've felt a bit better, that was mostly my gripe with the second half of this season.

It's hard to believe it's finally over. I wonder if they'll ever revisit the series, Gendy seemed open to it but i'm not too sure how they'd do that other than a midquel where it's just classic Jack and Aku one note episodes (which i'd be okay with)

Folks wanting The Warrior King Jack should have a read of the last issue of the comic.
Ok, Ashi comes from Ashi's mom and Aku. So it makes sense she couldn't exist because an Aku future never happen.

But now lets look at the Aku'less future, there is a high chance all the people like the scotsman will still exist but in form of some drastic changes like hypothetically he became a female irish viking instead but in essence she is still the scotsman, a counterpart. So probably Ashi's mom exist in some form but she probably isn't a psycho evil worshiping person, met another man and have 7 children which one of them is a Aku'less Ashi.
Not entirely related but the comics actually did a genderbend on him and Jack in one arc.

Jack03.jpg

Well, I think they did the best they could in the small timeframe they had. Would 3-10 more episodes have helped the pacing immensely and given them a lot more stuff to work with? Absolutely. But if Genndy was limited to 10 episodes, he did the best he could within those limitations, IMO. I'm pretty satisfied.

I wish the ending wasn't so bittersweet, but I guess I shouldn't have expected a straightforward happy ending from this season.

dabig2

It lost that excuse when it was revived and aired in an adult targeted segment in the network. :p Also:

A kid's cartoon that displays scenes like this on a regular basis. https://youtu.be/TX6tAvwubvA?t=37

Magic still has to adhere to rules, no magic is all powerful in this show.

And Days of Future Past and BttF and every other time travel plot devices that doesn't adhere to "whatever happened, happened" weren't also targeted to an older audience? Fucking magic people, I"m telling you. Time travel has no rules it has to follow cause it literally doesn't exist. Aku's magic ass powers have no inherent logic to them either. Nor do the literal gods that exist in SJ.

Why didn't Jack age in the future? Write me up a peer-reviewed scientific hypothesis on it and get it to me Monday morning by 8 am sharp.

I'm just saying, I wasted a lot of my sanity making sense of time travel shenanigans in novels, movies, and tv shows and you'll never come to a satisfactory explanation of the paradoxes inherent to it. At least with our current limited understanding of space-time.

Biske

Something not happening they way you wanted it to isn't lazy writing

A writer not following your made up rules about a made up thing isn't lazy writing

A writer not following rules he never said he was following isn't lazy writing

By your standards the show has always been a lazy show and you have always thought so but hoped it wasn't.

There were never any rules established. They made it up. Can get mad about it. But its on you, the creators never gave you any reason to think it would be otherwise.

A writer not following your made up rules about a made up thing isn't lazy writing

By your standards the show has always been a lazy show and you have always thought so but hoped it wasn't.

There were never any rules established. They made it up. Can get mad about it. But its on you, the creators never gave you any reason to think it would be otherwise.

Don't put words into my mouth, I never said it was a lazy show, I'm saying that this last episode had some very bad plotholes. I mean, for goodness sake, Aku left the sword intact when, in previous episodes, he would have destroyed it given the chance.

I never talked about having it the way we would have wanted it, I've been saying alternatives to this ending that would have made more rational sense. These are not my made up rules, I'm merely talking about an interpretation of time travel that would best suit this scenario with this episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Ms.Galaxy

It's just not the time traveling thing. Explain to me how the hell did Jack's friends from around the world manage to all meet up and organize an attack at Aku's tower when they were home in their corners of the world watching Jack about to be killed live on TV a few minutes ago.

Explain to me why Aku, who had the ability to go to the past, didn't go and kill the Samurai when he was an infant, or better yet, why he didn't bother to go back to stop Jack from killing him. Because it's clearly established that he can do that since his daughter can do it and it just opened up a huge can of worms.

Explain to me how Ashi manage to master her abilities after just gaining control of her body and even know that she could send him back to the past in a few seconds, or even know the exact time and place Aku was in his weakest.

How did Jack's village and castle that was previously destroyed get rebuilt quickly and people from around the world manage to all come to see Jack's marriage in the time's current technology just as quick.

This is all badly written. There's no explanation, no adequate pacing, and no sense of coherence. Some of these things can be explain while others can't.

Don't put words into my mouth, I never said it was a lazy show, I'm saying that this last episode had some very bad plotholes. I mean, for goodness sake, Aku left the sword intact when, in previous episodes, he would have destroyed it given the chance.

This is also true, but at least I can understand him keeping it as a trophy. A stupid act because someone worthy can one day sneak in and grab it to kill Aku with it.

Biske

I never talked about having it the way we would have wanted it, I've been saying alternatives to this ending that would have made more rational sense. These are not my made up rules, I'm merely talking about an interpretation of time travel that would best suit this scenario with this episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

But when has this show ever given you an indication it gives a shit about time travel rules? Or plot?

It's clearly made to be a show about a samurai fighting an evil wizard thing and getting fucked up in time and doing cool shit.

Shing! Snkt!!!!!

Coming at it with "but the accepted rules of time travel!!!" Is just silly.

They got a chance to come back and end it and they did. They tied it up and ended it with the same effort. Dedication and careless speed they've always tied episodes up with

This finale is entirely consistent with everything the show has always been

Can ask for more but the show followed its own rules and never claimed to follow any others.

This has always been a show where shit happens just cause it was cool and they wanted it to.

But when has this show ever given you an indication it gives a shit about time travel rules? Or plot?

It's clearly made to be a show about a samurai fighting an evil wizard thing and getting fucked up in time and doing cool shit.

Shing! Snkt!!!!!

Coming at it with "but the accepted rules of time travel!!!" Is just silly.

They got a chance to come back and end it and they did. They tied it up and ended it with the same effort. Dedication and careless speed they've always tied episodes up with

This finale is entirely consistent with everything the show has always been

Can ask for more but the show followed its own rules and never claimed to follow any others.

You're just telling me that the show doesn't care about plot? I've re-watched all the episodes not too long ago, there's always been a plot in every episode. Heck, in this last season it's been nothing but a linear plot line leading up to defeating Aku.

If you're arguing that the accepted rules of time travel shouldn't be considered when you write in any medium, that's just silly. Sure, you can follow whatever rules you wish for your show, but if I don't think it makes any sense, I can criticize it for that.

Sure, you can say it's followed its own rules, but it also shows a future where there is an old king Jack, that never happened. Not only that, but that implied he would age.

Biske

You're just telling me that the show doesn't care about plot? I've re-watched all the episodes not too long ago, there's always been a plot in every episode. Heck, in this last season it's been nothing but a linear plot line leading up to defeating Aku.

If you're arguing that the accepted rules of time travel shouldn't be considered when you write in any medium, that's just silly. Sure, you can follow whatever rules you wish for your show, but I don't think it makes any sense, I can criticize it for that.

Sure, you can say it's followed its own rules, but it also shows a future where there is an old king Jack, that never happened. Not only that, but that implied he would age.

If you watch this series, it's crystal clear the main focus is action and cool shit. It's not a narrative driven show. The last season was more focused as they had the goal of wrapping it up, but the series has always been a very fast and loose adventure/cool shit of the week deal. With some recurring characters and some focus on plot.

But it's not a plot driven show. Hell you could not watch a majority of the episodes and you wouldn't miss any plot. You only need to see like.. 10 maybe of the previous seasons episodes to fully understand the plot.

It baffles me to see people complain about plot holes and rationality from Samurai Jack.

It's a fun action show first and foremost, a far cry from an intricate and detailed plot driven show.

And yes there is no reason for them to follow any time travel rules, they never established any, never said they were, never gave a hint they cared.

This has always, always, always been a fantastically detailed action show with sloppy plot with some amazing episodes.

How does Scottsman fire his leg gun? How does he reload? How does Jack get new clothes? How does he walk on those shitty shoes, how do they stay on his feet? Why does Scottsman have 20+ daughters? How does a robot head bounce across the world? How does a weak skinny pretend samurai have enough strength to carry around his fake body? How does a dog's paws operate intricate machinery?

How does the world's longest rope bridge stay up all that time? How does Jack know what creature is a killable robot or a living creature?

The snow has never cared. Just great stupid fun. Why are were demanding consistent plot details now? It never has been the case

Now I just remembered which anime this ending reminded me of...
Gurren Lagann, Simon defeats the Anti-Spirals and during his wedding with Nia she disappears...
still leaves me with a bittersweet feeling...

God dammit should of seen it coming...

The reason people are annoyed is because they broke understood typical time travel rules in the last 5 minutes of a show for no reason other than to give the protagonist a sad ending.

There are no benefits to the viewer, no payoff for the characters in the world, nothing to be learnt for Jack, who just moments before was willing to let aku win in order to not have to have Ashi "be just a memory".

It's just a fuck you to everyone involved, and that is why people aren't happy about it.

edit: And if your argument is "Well, you shouldn't have cared about the plot!", then there was no reason for the new season to ever exist at all. That's a fallacy in itself.

daffy

Banned
This is ridiculous... 10 years later, we were never promised this and somehow people are unsatisfied. I thought it was perfect.

There will be major heartache and pain, but life is still beautiful

Exodust

Banned
Ending was rushed but great(aside from the power of love stuff).

Also lol at anyone thinking the Guardian thing was ever getting a payoff. The show literally starts with Jack saying he does not age while the image shows him as an old, war torn king. If anything it was just a cool ending for one episode, nothing more.

NotLiquid

I was worried they wouldn't have been able to tie together the loose ends in one episode but color me surprised that they mostly succeeded.

But goddammit could Jack not have gotten his happy ending; after all the seasons spent in the future, forging relationships and partnerships, even getting a love interest, returning back to the past seems quaint. Like, there's no investment in it other than us being told it's somewhere he wants to go. I was hoping this would end with Jack staying in the future.

But oh well, ending got to me.

Yho9MGM.png

Jintor

well that was really rushed

i think you could tell that gennedy had a checklist of things to hit and couldn't quite get the throughline properly

i had accepted that this what it would be by this point though

episode 2 still far and away the best episode.

Tsunamo

episode 2 still far and away the best episode.
Episode 2 was a absolute masterpiece. Still my favorite episode.
The reason people are annoyed is because they broke understood typical time travel rules in the last 5 minutes of a show for no reason other than to give the protagonist a sad ending.

There are no benefits to the viewer, no payoff for the characters in the world, nothing to be learnt for Jack, who just moments before was willing to let aku win in order to not have to have Ashi "be just a memory".

It's just a fuck you to everyone involved, and that is why people aren't happy about it.

edit: And if your argument is "Well, you shouldn't have cared about the plot!", then there was no reason for the new season to ever exist at all. That's a fallacy in itself.
That prettymuch nails it for me.

caliph95

Is it weird i miss the memes more than i miss the show (though some like the thicc memes got annoying and didn't care fro some of the tumblr stuff, the shipping meltdowns and the reactions to it). I am half joking

Mr Swine

Banned
I likes the ending but as I feared it was rushed. I wish that in a point before Jack and Ashi returned to the past she tells Jack that if they go back everything in the future will be no more. With that Jack has a moment to think over if it's worth going back to the past and kill Aku and everything he has done in the last 50 years was worth it. That means every friend he has ever made, every person, child, monster and alien he has rescued was for nothing.

And by that it saddens me a bit that he didn't put a flower on a grave that represents all those he has meet. I guess that Noble Jack was selfish in the end?

The first three episodes were amazing, and two was the definite highlight of this season.

I'm okay with the ending overall, though it clearly suffered from having so much to occur in 20 minutes.

Given that Ashi Back to the Future'd her way out of existence, I would've been fine with Jack realizing the same thing--the current version of himself wouldn't exist without his experiences vs. Aku and specifically Ashi bringing him back. Could've faded out under the tree, then either just have that final shot of the tree with the wind (or potentially have Ashi's ladybug land on Jack's tree?)

Tarydax

Banned
Well that managed to be a bit worse than I thought it was going to be.

Everything wrong with the season was mashed into this one episode. It was horribly rushed, just like every episode after 3. It had bizarre tonal shifts and it felt like the writers couldn't decide what they wanted it to be. It trivialized Jack's travels and made the world seem really, really small, even more so than episode 6 did (and that episode was made even more pointless than it already was). Aishi disappearing as she's about to marry Jack didn't make the ending bittersweet, it made it nonsensical. Her disappearing should have meant that Jack never even had his time portal to begin with, so how did he get back to the past? Aishi was killed off in a dumb way just for the sake of a sad ending.

Given how rushed most of the season was, I didn't really expect the Guardian to show up, much less for Jack to have to fight him.

Those first 3 episodes were amazing, though.

Capra

I liked it.

I can somewhat understand where people trying to argue over time-travel mechanics are coming from, but that feels silly to me in a series where "Celtic magic!" is a thing.

Instead of thinking about the timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly stuff, think of it in terms of story and what the last 5 minutes communicate. You can say they did it to just give Jack a shallow, bittersweet ending (and you honestly might be right), but here's my interpretation: The ending isn't necessarily about only Ashi, but the consequences of what Jack did and what it means for everyone he fought so hard to save in Aku's future. Without that world, everyone who just contributed to the final battle might not even exist.

Throughout the series, Jack always made a point to save everyone he came across even if it put his own mission to destroy Aku in jeopardy. There were several times where he could've taken a time portal and just prevented the whole thing, but knowing he abandoned people to some horrible fate (Jack knows about as much about Gendy's time travel mechanics as we do) would always weigh on his conscience. A persistent alternate timeline is still a possibility, if not to Jack then at least to us, so saving them whenever possible always makes sense. And of course, these characters endear themselves to us so we always want Jack to save them regardless.

Before this season began, I wondered whether Gendy would actually have Jack return to the past, and whether that's even the best idea thematically. If he actually returned, that'd be like saying that everything can be fixed by going back to an idealized "Golden Time" (hint hint nudge nudge) and yeah, that fits fairytale conventions but let's be honest here... If it weren't for Jack's conscience, would any of us actually care about the people from that time? I mean sure, we saw them train Jack in the opening episodes (if I remember correctly) but we've spent faaaaaar more time in Aku's World getting to know the people there. Yeah there are a lot of horrible people, robot assassins, etc., but we've also seen that good people can still survive and are worth fighting for in that future... If Jack just went back to the past without killing Aku, we could always think there's an alternate timeline where Aku still reigns and those people are stuck suffering without Jack to help them. That's why a lot of us clung to the idea of Jack training himself to defeat Aku in the future before going back, as The Guardian's vision seemed to imply.

But Ashi gives both Jack and the audience a definitive answer, and it throws that (honestly more optimistic) possibility out the window. The last few scenes aren't about Ashi disappearing to give Jack a sad ending, they're about an entire timeline ceasing to exist. And just like we have to deal with knowing that The Scotsman, Ashi, and everyone else has been erased, Jack has to deal with the weight of knowing all the people he struggled to save in the future are now gone. It's a complete reversal of his position before - where he was once struggling to deal with his failure to save his family in the past, now he has to deal with the ramifications of erasing everyone in Aku's Future, without an easy out like simply disappearing due to his "present self" not existing as some have suggested. Jack still exists as he is because he's the audience surrogate - yeah it might not make the most sense mechanically, but thematically it hits home a bit harder.

Granted all of this might just be me seeing meaning in a shallow, forced ending, but I like to think Gendy's a little more thoughtful than that.

Dr.Hadji

Ignoring how poorly almost all the plot points were handled in the final episode, the animation quality and the fight choreography was probably the worst out of the new season. I know massive war scenes are hard to do in animation but Clone Wars handled it much better years ago. What's worse is Aku didn't even fight Jack this entire season! He just gets cut up!

CDiggity

Was the ending terrible? No, not really.

Could the ending and the events leading up to it have been done better? Absolutely.

Every time there is a series where something questionable comes up, I always wish I could be a fly on the wall during development meetings. I want to see how they arrived at this answer.

Ten episodes was not nearly enough to tell the story that they wanted to tell, but at least it was ten episodes more than what we had before. So I can appreciate that. At the very least there was the first three episodes which were fantastic, and even with it's flaws Jack is still much better than most animation these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom