• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung is becoming quite the player in the industry, maybe a console in the future?

Lo-Volt

"Maybe a console in the future?"

I hope not. Most consumer electronics companies that tried getting in that business didn't do so well with the exception of the Sony Corporation. Philips, the old Magnavox, Matsushita (though I wonder if the leaner, meaner Matsushita could use the Panasonic brand for a console again or work more closely with Nintendo), Apex, all of them unable to get into the business as console manufacturers.

I guess a question is whether or not GAF thinks Matsushita or Samsung has the resources to get into the market as companies like Sony have some juggling to do (Sony's problems are from other fronts, to be fair, but that could possibly happen to Matsushita or Samsung, which are in many of the same markets).

vas

Pimpbaa said:
Samsung already dabbled in the console arena with the samsung 3do.
They are a different horse now. More akin to sony at the time they launched Playstation.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
No chance. The market simply has no room for another hardware manufacturer. Adding even more hardware will not help the industry- it would only be detrimental to it. I don't see Samsung making anything close to a profit from it too, nor would they be able to add adnything substantial to the formula.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I said a while back ago that Nintendo could (in the future) licence out technology so that they'd make money on hardware & software licencing. That way they'd profit from their own hardware, hardware lisencing & software royalties from third parties...plus with so many different products (computers, set-top boxes, bare bones players, etc.) there's a larger userbase to grow to. Sega tried this a lil' bit with Saturn in Japan...problem being that Saturn was expensive tech. at the time...but Nintendo usually goes for more affordable/profitable tech. so this could be benificial to them. They could get top software companies involved to form a "Nintendo Committee" sort of like the DVD consortium. One format future indeed.

Top Bottom