• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Red Dead Redemption 3 reportedly in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

I will believe it when its in my hands. I dont think there would be another game ever made that I would want more. Just want to see what else they can do.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
First reply in the Reddit thread literally explains the source of this is a false interpretation of a 2021 interview with Strauss Zelnick where Zelnick said he’d “love to see the series continue”. There is zero evidence this is happening and we should probably stick to posting credibly sourced rumors.

HL3.exe

If true, It's a shame that these juggernaut AAAA studios have now rescind to only flip between 2 (or 3) IP.
  • Rockstar: Red Dead // GTA
  • CDPR: The Witcher // Cyberpunk
  • Bethesda: The Elder Scrolls // Fallout // Starfield
Rockstar used to be so playful in trying new things. I'm still waiting on AGENT. Would love to see them tackle a political thriller.

amigastar

If true, It's a shame that these juggernaut AAAA studios have now rescind to only flip between 2 (or 3) IP.
Rockstar used to be so playful in trying new things. I'm still waiting on AGENT. Would love to see them tackle a political thriller.
Oh yeah, AGENT, thats a name i haven't heard in ages. Would have loved to play that.

Now that the writers have all basically up and left, can’t see this being a patch on the first or second game. I’ll be keeping my expectations well in check here.

StueyDuck

Rockstar clout chasers are really useless 🤣

Seems like any random idiot can say anything in that community and they'll all be considered leakers.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes, i'm sure rockstar have people to spare from working on gta6, the WAY bigger and successful game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That seems a slightly unfair criticism of 2 of those studios. Their latest games have been new ip, after all. Generally agree though, I'd much rather see fewer franchises and more new ideas.

Last edited:

Jakk

It's not officially in the works. All this talk about RDR3 is because some clowns just now noticed an interview from 2021, where Strauss Zelnick said:

‘If it’s really, really great, it will keep going,’ he said. ‘I just saw the new Bond film, that was great. You would like every franchise to be James Bond. There are precious few entertainment franchises of any sort that fall into that category, but they do exist. And I think GTA is one of them, I think Red Dead is one of them.’

There's no official confirmation about any R* title coming after GTA VI, although obviously new Red Dead is very likely.

HL3.exe

That seems a slightly unfair criticism of 2 of those studios. Their latest games have been new ip, after all. Generally agree though, I'd much rather see fewer franchises and more new ideas.
True, but CDPR pretty much confirmed this a while back, as the investment is to steep/risky these days to invest in unproven IP on that scale. Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012 remember. That development timeframe is just insane. Glad that at least Bethesda is trying a new IP (that in all fairness still basically plays like their other titles).

I could've dropped Ubisoft and Activision in there as well, but at least Ubi seems like it's slowly changing for the better

But for the longest time, Ubisoft especially made the most homogenized titles, all being reskins of the same open-world structure/template.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, probably, in the 2030s.

Skifi28

Officially

lJFOy8G.gif

Sybrix

LOL

A GTAVI release date isnt even announced and we're talking about RDR3?!?!?!?

2035 is the earliest you'll be seeing RDR3.

I really hate these games being thrown around years and years out of even an announcement.

Worst are devs, like Bethesda, announcing a game 5+ years away from any sort of announcement date, im talking about Elder Scrolls 6.

Seriously shut the fuck up until the game is max 2 years from release.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
True, but CDPR pretty much confirmed this a while back, as the investment is to steep/risky these days to invest in unproven IP on that scale. Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012 remember. That development timeframe is just insane. Glad that at least Bethesda is trying a new IP (that in all fairness still basically plays like their other titles).

I could've dropped Ubisoft and Activision in there as well, but at least Ubi seems like it's slowly changing for the better

But for the longest time, Ubisoft especially made the most homogenized titles, all being reskins of the same open-world structure/template.

Sure, as I said, I personally would rather see fewer sequels/franchises, but like I said it just seems unfair to say "why aren't CSDPR & Bethesda trying new things?" When the last things they released were literally first entries in what may or may not be new franchises.

In general though, as you say, development time and cost has made these business decisions huge and for a lot of developers one or two flops in a row could spell disaster. For example It's not *that* long ago that Bizarre Creations, who had a solid reputation were closed down after releasing Blur and Bloodstone, which didn't perform as well as hoped. I'm sure there are other examples, that's just the first that came to mind. So, I think that the whole thing is probably quite perilous, when it comes to choosing your next project, I can see why it happens. There might be a couple of hundred people out of a job if you decide to forge ahead with something that may or may not find a fanbase, versus dropping the latest installment.

I think this is a situation mirrored across films too, where fans have spoken with their wallets and said that what they want is "More" to some degree, I think it's not going to change now as everything has got more expensive, making everyone more risk averse.

As time goes by indie games get more and more attractive, there's more chance of new ideas being found there, owing to smaller amounts of money being involved they can cater to a smaller audience and run productions with smaller teams. I think if people are tired of AAAA and Starfield and Cyberpunk feel too familiar, then it might be time to look elsewhere, rather than hoping that Rockstar & co might consider doing anything over the next ten years that doesn't have a 6 or 3 jn the title. I think unfortunately, the economy of AAA/AAAA video games might make that sort of thing very rare.

Stafford

No idea who that is and lol at him saying officially in the works. Ain't nothing official about any of that.

Phase

Okay. Why don't they just try smaller projects for new IP's? These companies are big enough to do multiple smaller projects alongside.

simpatico

Given the exodus of all the creatives at Rockstar, I'm waiting for GTA6 to release to get excited about anything else they release. Hopefully it's good and RDR3 comes out the same day as TES6.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

GTA5 released 2013 > GTA6, 2025-2026? 12-13 year gap.

5 years later...

RDR2 released 2018 > RDR3, 2028-2030? 10-12 year gap if not more.

No other big releases for the past 5 years.

Quite shocking output from Rockstar over the past 10+ years. For a developer we're lead to believe has a botomless pit in terms of development resources, you'd think they could produce 2 AAA games side by side in a speedier fashion that they have.

Last edited:

GymWolf

GTA5 released 2013 > GTA6, 2025-2026? 12-13 year gap.

5 years later...

RDR2 released 2018 > RDR3, 2028-2030? 10-12 year gap if not more.

Quite shocking output from Rockstar over the past 10+ years. For a developer we're lead to believe has a botomless pit in terms of development resources, you'd think they could produce 2 AAA games side by side in a speedier fashion that they have.
Nah, let them cook slowly and use the whole team for one game only, this is what differentiate rockstar from other developers.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nah, let them cook slowly and use the whole team for one game only, this is what differentiate rockstar from other developers.
Fair enough but with the visual quality of games increasing further the gap will probably only increase unless AI solutions can speed development up next-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom