• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor]Mortal Kombat 12 could be announced next week

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I thought this was going to be an xbox gamepass thing? I could have sworn remembering a tweet or something from Boon saying he we would busy in Seattle the same week as the Xbox showcase.

Could be they are setting up for MK12 on gamepass then a nice sweet exit check when NRS gets purchased by M$?!?

//DEVIL//

Not expecting anything till summer. ( one of the game shows ) But I would love to be wrong. its been boring lately.

ProtoByte

I was expecting them to wait until the prospective PS Showcase, but if it is coming at the end of this year, they probably should announce now-ish.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
With SF6 and Tekken 8 showing things non-stop and both are looking amazing, either NRS has the most inept Marketing people in the world that they're waiting so long.....or they have something so awesome in the works that they can afford to drag ass on showing anything.

With their complete lackluster and disappointing celebration of MK's 30th Anniversary, they better be ready to blow us away.

How are Netherrealm Studios not finished (pun intended) from working on this series? For the past decade it's been nothing but Mortal Kombat games with the minor Injustice interlude. Do something new and exciting once in a while Boon.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

How are Netherrealm Studios not finished (pun intended) from working on this series? For the past decade it's been nothing but Mortal Kombat games with the minor Injustice interlude. Do something new and exciting once in a while Boon.
What are you even talking about. Every new MK game is refreshing and exciting. They radically change up the game.

Even in the past they have added variety of different modes in MK like Konquest, Chess, Puzzle and Motor Kombat.

just_jr

They probably came up with this conclusion because MK's social media finished their weekly retrospective of MK games and all that's left is MK12. Can't wait!

RAIDEN1

The last game, as a movie I thought was better than the re-booted film that came out...this game will have a fight on its hands to top Streetfighter 6

What are you even talking about. Every new MK game is refreshing and exciting. They radically change up the game.

Even in the past they have added variety of different modes in MK like Konquest, Chess, Puzzle and Motor Kombat.
I'm not talking about the games themselves fool, but Netherrealm's insistence to keep working in the same genre. Even fighting game studios need a reboot once in a while, I mean shit, even Rockstar Games dabbled in something original with Table Tennis and Midnight Club.

Rockstar_Table_Tennis_Game_Cover.jpg
Midnight_Club_-_Street_Racing_Coverart.jpg

Banned
maybe finally with the brand new features Good Game-Feel™ and Good Animations™
but I wouldn't get my hopes up

Methos#1975

I'm not talking about the games themselves fool, but Netherrealm's insistence to keep working in the same genre. Even fighting game studios need a reboot once in a while, I mean shit, even Rockstar Games dabbled in something original with Table Tennis and Midnight Club.

WB set them up explicitly for their fighting games, they have other studios for games in differing genres.

Kusarigama

Okay genius. Comes to MK12 thread and wants NRS to make different game.

WB set them up explicitly for their fighting games, they have other studios for games in differing genres.
Okay genius. Comes to MK12 thread and wants NRS to make different game.
Observe the two responses. One is a measured and calculated response based in logic and fact, the other amounting to pure bitching for threatening their beloved status quo. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Kusarigama

Observe the two responses. One is a measured and calculated response based in logic and fact, the other amounting to pure bitching for threatening their beloved status quo. I'll let you figure out which is which.
You're the one who is bitching about NRS not doing something different. And enough of thread derailment anyway.

GMCamaro

I was hoping for a third Injustice entry. I like the story in those, and have lost enthusiasm for the Mortal Kombat storyline since they botched the story in the last MK (in my opinion).

Last edited:

SALMORE

it's hard to get excited when they're basically doing the same thing in every entry ... ridiculous guess characters , over the top three phases fatalities , chessy plots ripped from old kung fu movies , terrible 20 years old janky animations & sfx etc

Barakov

Gold Member
I can't wait for them to put Hellraiser in there with the exact same animations as Rambo and the Terminator.

Hot5pur

It's really weird that MK9, MKX and MK11 all released in April.
But they were announced quite a bit earlier (like 4-5 months). So if we get a May announcement maybe we're looking at a late summer release date?
I'm somehow not feeling SF6, maybe the "street" artstyle, the messy UI, the largely simplistic world tour mode that feels like wasted resources that could have gone to adding more characters or free unlockable costumes. Maybe even a cinematic story mode with fights to break it up.
The fighting is obviously good, and the characters look great, I guess stages too, just everything around it like the dumb avatars, lobby hub, etc...
Hoping MK12 is good, probably will still be classic clunky MK gameplay, but who knows, maybe they will innovate. Also hoping for crazy graphics.

Top Bottom