• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Hot Off "Get Out", Jordan Peele is being courted to direct "Akira"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why remake Akira at all when it's 100% not going to live up to the animation of the original?

The story in the original is already a hot ass mess, how can they manage to improve it whatsoever? The entire appeal of Akira is in its art.

Snagret

Why remake Akira at all when it's 100% not going to live up to the animation of the original?

The story in the original is already a hot ass mess, how can they manage to improve it whatsoever? The entire appeal of Akira is in its art.
There's no way for a live-action version of Akira to for its medium what the original did for animation (which was a revolutionary achievement that largely remains untouched decades later).

Unless they plan on going with a wildly different interpretation of the manga or anime, I just don't see what the appeal is either. And I'm saying that as someone who actually really likes the story in Akira (the anime, never actually read the books).

I hope he stays far away from this and comic movies and sticks to interesting stuff instead

Yeah I want his other original ideas he said he had stewing up way more than some big budget movies that likely could be made by numerous other people and turn out the same.

Get Out was awesome. Generally when these directors get a taste of that big shit they rarely decide to ever come back to something dialed back.

Like I won't complain if he's on Akira or flash since it would be nice to get some talent behind those properties but he can do so much good for the thriller and sci fi genre right now

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't want that at all. I'm gunna chalk this up to really bad rumor mongering.

But no. Please.

He has more important work to do in the horror genre. Fuck Akira.

I doubt he would even want to. Why would he even want to do a serious adaptation of someone else's work? Especially when they've lost so many other directors and gone through so many other scripts, presumably because they didn't get what they wanted?

Get Out was great, but is he up to the task of doing an adaptation?

Can't be accused of white washing if the director is black and the cast is likely racially diverse

Glad to see Jordan getting recognition.

Its a trick and this is basically the objective.

If you look at how deflection of GitS whitewashing has been handled, they've effectively said "what we're doing isn't racist, we've made the film more diverse actually. And we think it's great to have a movie led by such a strong female character"

- trying to reposition offenders as victims is a common tactic when trying to control the narrative. Once you see it for what it is you'll be able to spot it in other places and this is definitely one of them.

For them it's also a situation that has secondary benefits in that if it works, he can be held up to say "see, we do support minorities at high levels", while if it fails (and it's pretty likely to fall flat), they can use it as justification of why they want to avoid minority led projects with larger budgets in future.

firen

giphy.gif

Jon Watts like GOB mentioned.
Carl Eric-Rinsch with 47 Ronin
Josh Trank with F4
Colin Trevorrow with Jurassic World
Gareth Edwards with Godzilla
Jordan Vogt-Roberts with Kong: Skull Island
Niell Blomkamp with "Elysium"
Marc Webb with "Amazing Spider-Man"
Rupert Sanders went from directing TV ads to "Snow White and the Huntsman."

I'm sure there are more, but this is what immediately came to mind.
Surely no nepotism there. No siree.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Don't do it, brotha. It's a trap!

Kyonashi

Can we not do the whole 'asian leads' thing?

This is a Japanese story, casting a Chinese or Korean actor (whilst we definitely need more of them on the screen) is barely better than casting ScarJo, tbh.

It doesn't help to just conflate all actors of asian heritage into one amalgamation, tbh.

Donos

This is a Japanese story, casting a Chinese or Korean actor (whilst we definitely need more of them on the screen) is barely better than casting ScarJo, tbh.

It doesn't help to just conflate all actors of asian heritage into one amalgamation, tbh.

Well, babysteps and all. Do you also mind black britsh actors playing americans (e.g. Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years As A Slave)?

Which is why they're going to avoid all of that by making it American.

I HOPE HE DOES A GOOD JOB

ALTHOUGH HONESTLY WHO WATCHES GET OUT AND THINKS YEP WE'VE FOUND OUR AKIRA GUY

HOLLYWOOD LOGIC AMIRITE

Probably the same people who watched Dead Alive and the Frighteners and thought "This guy should direct an adaptation of Lord of the Rings".

Kyonashi

Well, babysteps and all. Do you also mind black britsh actors playing americans (e.g. Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years As A Slave)?

British people and American people being lumped into the same category isn't a common issue like the 'Asian people' thing is.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly better to break out of the 'Hollywood White' casting mentality, just rubs me the wrong way to see people calling for 'Asian actors' when Asia includes India, Hong Kong, Iraq, Korea, Thailand, China...

If you mean Japanese, just say Japanese. It does no good to consolidate people's cultural identity.

I don't have an issue with them doing a racially diverse cast, I'd certainly be interested to see Peele take the American race relations aspect to Akira with the whole 'delinquent youth' themes, there's depth to be mined there, especially with Japan's attitude toward race. It's just people specifically calling for "Asian" actors seems off to me.

MilkBeard

Peele should stick to his own creative ideas. He made a name for himself, he has the creative freedom to make the movie he wants. Or at least, I hope he does. We need more new ideas like Get Out.

Ridley327

Good for him! Hope he scores it if true!

SPOILERS!
I want the girl to survive this time. Not get...squished or whatever happened to her. Soured my experience...

FWIW,
Kaori has a very different arc in the manga that, while she winds up dying (albeit in a different way), is pretty instrumental to where the story goes in its second half.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
IIRC, he said shortly after Get Out launched that he had several other ideas in the works. But I wouldn't blame him for taking the reception of Get Out as a way to launch into a big project next.

yes he has 4 other "social thrillers" he wants to make over the next 10 years

he now has the clout and cash to make the next one however he wants - and i want that 100x more than a movie based off a anime or a lol dceu movie

like neither of those projects will be good, and will only taint his prospects

Warner Bros. has struggled for years to gets its live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s classic manga off the ground, and the property has languished in development to fans’ dismay.

Interesting definition of "dismay". I'm far from the biggest Akira fan and I would much prefer that this never happens.

I'm interested. If they pair him up with a great DP and a FX supervisor who believes in his vision and is with him from the very beginning, I it could and should work.

Dude Abides

Banned
Peele's talents would be put to better use making original films than a live-action rehash of an anime that doesn't need it.

yes he has 4 other "social thrillers" he wants to make over the next 10 years

he now has the clout and cash to make the next one however he wants - and i want that 100x more than a movie based off a anime or a lol dceu movie

like neither of those projects will be good, and will only taint his prospects

First off, he had the clout and cash to make Get Out however he wanted with Blumhouse. Now he has the clout and cash to make big buget, blockbuster studio films which he may see as a chance of a lifetime. Worst case scenario, if he accepts and it sucks and bombs, he'd still have clout and cash to make his other "social thrillers".

pestul

I think Peele is a standup guy, a great director and would treat this IP with respect. On the other hand, I don't want to see the guy with a burgeoning directorial career get tied to a property that may very well have a lot of studio meddling/baggage.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
First off, he had the clout and cash to make Get Out however he wanted with Blumhouse. Now he has the clout and cash to make big buget, blockbuster studio films which he may see as a chance of a lifetime. Worst case scenario, if he accepts and it sucks and bombs, he'd still have clout and cash to make his other "social thrillers".

waste of time effort and personal capital.

peele will look way worse with a 48% RT dceu mess on his resume

Ross61

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom