• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A Remake of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in development at Virtous Games

badblue

I don't believe this at all. Not one bit.

I'll eat anything anyone wants if this turns out true 🤣

I'll take that wager.

71JZSzJxcPL.jpg

EDMIX

Surely they got their hands full with MGS3 or is that another studio?

Well I don't know how much of them are doing that remake tbh.

To my understanding, they are assisting Konami, they are not doing 100% of the remake.

So I feel, this could be true. Many studios can some times help in a remake that many gamers don't really know about if they don't look at the credits or something, like United Fronts working on Halo MC along with many other teams (I know this cause a good friend of mine worked on that project for that team lol)

poodaddy

Morrowind could use one vastly more than Oblivion, but sure why not?

For the record though, I don't believe this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If this is real, I would imagine Microsoft were the ones paying for it.

Well, they own the IP now, so yeah they're the ones who will pay Virtuous (or any studio) to make this remake-ster, regardless of if its just Xbox/PC or if it comes to PS or Nintendo as well.

Last edited:

Romulus

why-church.gif

That's a big 'doubt' for me fam. If true, that fuckin stupid and a waste of resources, plus a middle finger to the modding scene who worked years on this.

Edit:
Respons from the modding team:

I always thought it was weird to be excited for an Oblivion update that brings it up to 2011 standards...with a released date of 2025

Fredrik

Please don’t play with my heart…

This was my first Elder Scrolls, it’s not on my top 10 all time list or anything like that but I absolutely LOVE this game ❤️

A remake would be awesome!

But Unreal Engine 5?… Hmm. The track record so far on UE5 is not good. Always crap performance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love oblivion. It's fantastic. WAAAAAAAAY better than Skyrim. Especially the amazing brotherhood quest.
but Morrowind is still better gameplay wise. No level scaling. You can go to the north, pick up best sword in the game or go to vivec, steal the vault key, get all that shit from the vault, sell it in caldera for 5k per day and then level up with balmora trainers. I PLAYED MORROWIND YOU GUYS.
The story in morrowind? no fucking idea.

What? Why not Morrowind? Or one of the other older ones?
Oblivion would be easier to remake is probably the reason. Morrowind would likely have to be rewritten to translate to a voiced dialogue system and a lot of the flavor text would be cut sadly. At least that's one major reason I can imagine they would be hesitant to remake Morrowind since the abundance of text is one of it's core identities.

I love oblivion. It's fantastic. WAAAAAAAAY better than Skyrim. Especially the amazing brotherhood quest.
but Morrowind is still better gameplay wise. No level scaling. You can go to the north, pick up best sword in the game or go to vivec, steal the vault key, get all that shit from the vault, sell it in caldera for 5k per day and then level up with balmora trainers. I PLAYED MORROWIND YOU GUYS.

The bolded might not even be the best quest line in the game. The quests were insane in the game. Although the level scaling needs to go. That and the weapon and armor damage needs to be toned way down. Like a good 75% or more.

Last edited:
The problem in Morrowind with no level scaling is that you can become god-like at some point (especially by exploiting training), and the game loses its challenge.

Oblivion had level scaling, but you could still become fairly god-like by leveling up your skills to high levels, which the enemies couldn't do, even if they could match your overall level.

I love both games. Would love to see them both remastered without messing with the core gameplay too much. The games' quirks and weaknesses are also part of their charm. I don't want them "improved" and "balanced" into blandness.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The problem in Morrowind with no level scaling is that you can become god-like at some point (especially by exploiting training), and the game loses its challenge.

Oblivion had level scaling, but you could still become fairly god-like by leveling up your skills to high levels, which the enemies couldn't do, even if they could match your overall level.

I love both games. Would love to see them both remastered without messing with the core gameplay too much. The games' quirks and weaknesses are also part of their charm. I don't want them "improved" and "balanced" into blandness.
yeah it takes 1 hour to speedrun into godhood if you are 14yo rofif with too much time to learn the game in and out.
No internet so I remember checking out locations of items THROUGH THE EDITOR

StereoVsn

They're mostly a support / port studio specializing in remasters, some of which are bad.

Their biggest recent claim to fame is that they're the ones developing the MGS3 remake.
That doesn't sound promising. Either they will butcher Oblivion with most item persistence gone or the remake will be of GTA trilogy "quality".

magnumpy

oh hell yes!

as someone who usually hates remasters/remakes, this is one game in particular where I wouldn't mind it at all 👍

I would literally rather they give it the Skyrim SE treatment with a fresh set of textures, effects, and console mod capabilities. I also don't trust the developer after The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice edition.

I think this is real. Because, Elder Scrolls VI is still ~4 years away at least, the gap in Elder Scrolls games has already been 12 years now, they might be breaking from their usual rule of “no remakes, only new games” and making an exception to have an Elder Scrolls for us to play to help tide people over 🤷‍♂️. That would make sense to me.

Also, Oblivion is so old, it no longer runs easily or well on modern platforms outside of Series X|S, so even just an update for that reason alone would be worthwhile. Skyrim’s gotten so many updates and re-releases on new consoles. Makes sense to give that same opportunity to Oblivion.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think this is real. Because, Elder Scrolls VI is still ~4 years away at least, the gap in Elder Scrolls games has already been 12 years now, they might be breaking from their usual rule of “no remakes, only new games” and making an exception to have an Elder Scrolls for us to play to help tide people over 🤷‍♂️. That would make sense to me.

Also, Oblivion is so old, it no longer runs easily or well on modern platforms outside of Series X|S, so even just an update for that reason alone would be worthwhile. Skyrim’s gotten so many updates and re-releases on new consoles. Makes sense to give that same opportunity to Oblivion.
Nice necro bump.

There's no way they are moving to UE5.

Creation Engine is just so embedded in what Bethesda does with these games.

An updated Oblivion is possible but it would just be Oblivion with Starfield level graphics not UE5.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wait why is he blacklisted? Let me guess, some dumb SJW shitstain decided to make up some BS right?
He was accused of rape by one person and of sexual harassment by another.

Soule faced several controversies in the late 2010s, during which he primarily worked on indie titles.[34] In 2015 Soule's DirectSong service was targeted by a class-action lawsuit, brought by members of the Guild Wars 2 community, due to long wait times- with some users waiting four years for albums to arrive after purchase.[1] Soule began accepting refunds for the unreleased symphony The Northerner in 2016.[35][36] In January 2019, Soule indicated he was not involved with The Elder Scrolls VI.[37] That August, he was accused of rape by game designer Nathalie Lawhead.[38][39][40][41] He was also accused of sexual harassment by vocalist Aeralie Brighton.[42][43][44] He denied the accusations.[42] Materia Collective ended their work with Soule on his symphony The Northerner in response, and Soule's official social media pages were taken down.[45][46][47] Soule's music distribution platform DirectSong, and his Bandcamp page were also seemingly taken offline around this time.[1] A 2022 article in Journal of Sound and Music in Games analysed the accusations in the wider context of the #MeToo movement and sexism in the games industry, commenting simply that "not much has been heard of Soule since".[48]

Not sure if blacklisted or self imposed blacklist. Doesn't seem like he really went against it.

Both women described Soule pressuring them into romantic relationships while they were in vulnerable positions professionally, socially, and financially in their respective fields. They said they felt like Soule took advantage of them, offering advice and professional support. Yet when these women turned down his romantic advances, they told Kotaku, Soule thwarted their professional opportunities in what the women saw as retaliation.

She said Soule sent her a video of him masturbating and that when she told him she “only wanted a professional relationship I was blocked and removed from a project I was proposed to work on.” She said that nothing physical had happened.

Soule raised $121,277 from over 4,200 fans on Kickstarter for a new album, but over six years later, he has still not delivered it in full.

I dunno man. Love his music, seems like a fucking douchebag tho.

afatmpvpgvawcurjxwer.png

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We may say they could just play the original release. That is true but a remake or remaster on the current platforms just makes as much sense
a scenario where a remake replaces the original is basically nigh impossible, outside of a few (Metroid Zero Mission, Crash remakes, Tony Hawk remakes, RE1R)

Most of the time, the original is just as worthy of your time as a remake, mostly because remakes don't always get everything right. they do all the big stuff but you may miss some content or some minor stuff could be underbaked. The original game will always have the full experience while the remake will have a prettied up version of all the biggest best parts you remember.

Remasters are the ultimate IMO and they take the least effort. just port the game over to a newer platform with a newer rendering engine and better assets. Unless you got a really good reason to remake something, or you managed to do so well that it replaces the original, you should just stop and work on something new instead

He was accused of rape by one person and of sexual harassment by another.

Not sure if blacklisted or self imposed blacklist. Doesn't seem like he really went against it.

I dunno man. Love his music, seems like a fucking douchebag tho.

afatmpvpgvawcurjxwer.png
Was it proven though or taken to court?

MMaRsu

Banned
Was it proven though or taken to court?
Im just stating what happened. It wasnt disproven or taken to court. Like I said, it doesnt really seem like he went against it.

These type of accusations is enough for most employers to not want to work with you either way.

He hasnt done anything in years.

Last edited:
It's a better game than Skyrim in a lot of regards. If they fix a few of its big problems, Cyrodil has been my favorite region. The quests were top tier (Dark Brotherhood GOAT quest line).

1. Leveling major/minor skills.
2. Oblivion gate spawn rate/randomization.
3. QoL improvements from Skyrim and other mods.

dotnotbot

No way this is coming, they would need to pay Jeremy Soule and he is blacklisted from the industry

Why? If they were able to re-release Skyrim with music intact I don't see the problem with Oblivion. Looking at other games/movies, it seems like once they paid composer for their work they can do whatever they want with his music, i.e. recompose, remix, remaster, hand over the themes to another composer for another game/movie etc.

is
It's a better game than Skyrim in a lot of regards. If they fix a few of its big problems, Cyrodil has been my favorite region. The quests were top tier (Dark Brotherhood GOAT quest line).

1. Leveling major/minor skills.
2. Oblivion gate spawn rate/randomization.
3. QoL improvements from Skyrim and other mods.

Agree that it was a great game. Sunk a lot of time into it myself. Two major issues I had with it were that dungeons were too samey, like mostly all the same two or three templates, with slight variations in layout. Got old real quick. And the environments had no variety; which thankfully was addressed in Skyrim. Also, the oblivion gates were always awful and I detested having to do them.

Top Bottom