• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A Remake of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in development at Virtous Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
311bd0126df04e11a33d7626ca2e01ac.jpg

In a now since-deleted Reddit post, an alleged former employee of Virtuos Games has leaked that The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion Remake is in development.

Screenshotted and reported by Xfire, the leak states that several projects are in work at the studio, a mod of the r/GamingLeaksAndRumours subreddit suggested that they verified proof that the leaker was indeed a former employee of Virtuos Games.

According to the leak, the remaster is running using both Unreal Engine 5 and Oblivion and could release by the end of 2024 to early 2025. No details on what platforms the game will release on were provided.

In addition to the news of the Oblivion Remake, the leaker also revealed details on several other projects from the studio.

Via Tom Henderson

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't feel it really needs one. But I could see some obvious things that could be improved. 1) Combat animations / feel. 2) Topography of the world. You can pretty easily run from one end to the other without much thought. 3) Tone down the guards. 4) Level scaling removal.

But yeah, I'd probably still enjoy the original more. Just nostalgic, and it's still totally playable.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I don't feel it really needs one. But I could see some obvious things that could be improved. 1) Combat animations / feel. 2) Topography of the world. You can pretty easily run from one end to the other without much thought. 3) Tone down the guards. 4) Level scaling removal.

But yeah, I'd probably still enjoy the original more. Just nostalgic, and it's still totally playable.

And native controller support for PC gamers who prefer to use controllers. Skyrim was the first The Elder Scrolls game that I ever played. I had heard that Morrowind and Oblivion were epic, but they didn't have native controller support so I have never played them. The visual upgrades and such would just be an added bonus to me.

Nickolaidas

If true, imagine this getting released just a few months after Skyblivion. It will completely overshadow the tremendous effort the modders did.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

The most important thing to me is to revamp the stupid ass leveling system where you get crappy stat gains if you play the way it seemingly wants you to play.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Hmmm...Oblivion remake on Unreal?
Could be a great way to test the world interactivity that the Gamebyro Engine has in regards to items and all that. Test bench for future Bethesda games.

Provided this is all true.

Roberts

I would prefer they remake Morrowind as it looks like absolute shit on xbox bc (and also, because it is an amazing game and I would like to replay it again), but Oblivion still looks fine for a game of its age.

Perrott

Gold Member
Unreal Engine 5 sounds kind of unbelievable. Bethsoft is using Gamebryo to this day in Starfield.
As far as I understand, this would be a Bluepoint-like approach to a remake: having a new coat of paint rendered in Unreal play out on top and in parallel to the original game engine, which would be the one handling all of the actual game as we already know it.

So yeah, Gamebryo would still be a huge part of this rumored remake.

Last edited:

Amory

I loved oblivion but idk if I’d want to go back. I’m kinda good with elder scrolls until 6 comes out. Played through Skyrim like 5 times

Morrowind remake would be more interesting imo

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
As far as I understand, this would be a Bluepoint-like approach to a remake: having a new coat of paint rendered in Unreal play out on top and in parallel to the original game engine, which would be the one handling all of the actual game as we already know it.

So yeah, Gamebryo would still be a huge part of this rumored remake.
Are you able to explain more on that? I'm unfamiliar with that process. Would it be correct to characterize this as layering two game engines together?
Personally I've never played an Unreal game with a particular amount of world interactivity, so this would be very interesting to see.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Hell yeah! I might have been the most hyped up ever for a game, for Oblivion. Starfield has taken its place now.

If this is true, I’ll be there Day 1 for this.

the_master

Remake or remaster?
That is quite important. I would not care as much for a remaster, but I would love a remake (not in Unreal, please, we have enough unreal games already)

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
why-church.gif

That's a big 'doubt' for me fam. If true, that fuckin stupid and a waste of resources, plus a middle finger to the modding scene who worked years on this.

Edit:
Respons from the modding team:

The only thing the official remake will be better at is graphics. The fan-made remake will shit on it in every other department.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good ‘ol Oblivion.

I remember getting arrested mere feet from one of those Oblivion gates I was going to close. I had a stolen piece of silver on me.

Fuck you guys then. I’ll sit in jail and you deal with the Oblivion gates.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
That's a big 'doubt' for me fam. If true, that fuckin stupid and a waste of resources, plus a middle finger to the modding scene who worked years on this.
There might be people who wish to play the remakes of Oblivion and Morrowind within its short lifespan.

Kurotri

For some reason this feels like a huge dumpsterfire in the making. Combining UE5 and CE? Virtuos? What even is their track record like?

Perrott

Gold Member
Are you able to explain more on that? I'm unfamiliar with that process. Would it be correct to characterize this as layering two game engines together?
Personally I've never played an Unreal game with a particular amount of world interactivity, so this would be very interesting to see.
I think that's exactly the case here. Here's a timestampped video interview to Bluepoint themselves by Digital Foundry regarding this kind of approach when remaking a title that's likely to be way more informative than I could ever possibly be:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know if I like this timeline where so many of the new games released are games I already bought years ago.

swaffles23

Oblivion just needs a visual remake and fix the bad level scaling. Everything else is fine. And for the love of God don't touch the OST

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For some reason this feels like a huge dumpsterfire in the making. Combining UE5 and CE? Virtuos? What even is their track record like?

They're mostly a support / port studio specializing in remasters, some of which are bad.

Their biggest recent claim to fame is that they're the ones developing the MGS3 remake.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Browse other games. There's plenty to go around if you look.

Don't rely solely on GAF for gaming releases and news. There's a ton that this site doesn't cover.
I'm coming to terms it's a sign of the times : I'm getting older. These remakes and remasters are for a new audience.

We may say they could just play the original release. That is true but a remake or remaster on the current platforms just makes as much sense.

Top Bottom