• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Mega Man X subseries - Getting back together with your X

StarPhlox

Mega Man is right up there with my all-time favorite franchises in games. It always has been this way and it probably always will be. Everything from the Classic style to Zero and ZX and even to the charming but odd Legends sub-series (sorry Battle Network and Star Force fans but that's not even the main timeline and you know it) fills me with a childlike excitement. None of these however inspire as much devotion as the X sub-series. Others have tried to capture my heart, like Azure Striker Gunvolt, but I am still left wanting.

With a new TV show (that I have low hopes for); a new movie (that I have no hopes for); rereleases of the Classic games (other than Mega Man & Bass and the Game Boy ones); and the coming Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite featuring X, Zero, and Sigma putting Mega Man on the cusp of a relaunch I wanted to evangelize for the uneven and wondrous X series. We may never get an X9--and I would argue that it never should have lived past X5--but we will hopefully have access to the X games for decades to come.

I'd like to offer my thoughts on Mega Man X through X8, so apologies to fans of the PSP remake, the GBC demakes, and the bizarre RPG. I'm far from an expert, but I hope that this could generate good discussion and encourage people to check these games out.

Mega Man X
- The bold reinvention that reinvigorated the franchise

The original Mega Man X came at an important time where franchise fatigue was catching hold for our dear Blue Bomber after 6 games in a row on NES of varying quality (all at least very good, IMO) and of course with the advent of the exciting SNES. Mega Man X has rightfully remained a very popular game for speedrunners and the gaming community at large. Later this month (September 2017), dozens of people will have an opportunity to experience to play this game on semi-original hardware with the alleged arrival of the SNES Mini Classic.

What makes MMX my personal favorite game of all time?! It's the impeccable game play. It's the music that gives me a dopamine release like no other. It's the still gorgeous pixel art and the level design and the upgrades to X and his armor and weapons. I play Mega Man X every year. It may only take me an hour or two to run through each time but I never tire of leading X through the intro, meeting Zero for the first time, conquering all 8 mavericks after jumping through their boss doors, collecting all the sub-tanks and armors (and the Hadoken), and finally defeating Sigma. Mega Man's classic running and jumping is supplemented with extra mobility through wall jumping and his iconic dash move.Other games in the series come awfully close, but Mega Man X will always be #1 in my heart.

Mega_Man_X.jpg

Mega Man X2 - RIP in peace, Green Biker Dude

While the original Mega Man X knocked me on my ass and totally blew me away, Mega Man X2 was a highly respectable iteration on the lofty bar that was set by its forebear. Personally, I do not see X2 as a step down in any significant way but it's also not the leap in quality that perhaps some were hoping for ala Mega Man 1 -> Mega Man 2. The air dash is a fun maneuver that does not add too much, but still makes for some nice challenges to collect all the hearts, sub-tanks, and armor pieces.

X2 has probably my favorite single piece of music in the franchise (Bubble Crab) and fun mavericks like Flame Stag and Wheel Gator. Furthermore, I really liked the additional pressure of having to reassemble your best friend Zero before the three X-hunters working for Sigma did it first which results in either saving Zero or having to fight him! X2 is sadly an underappreciated game and I wish that it had more of a following.

Mega-Man-X2.jpg

Mega Man X3 - I can finally play as Zero?!?!

This is the first X game that suffers by the developers subtracting quality through adding too much. While the graphics are as sharp as ever, the level design feels uninspired and the grating soundtrack doesn't add to the atmosphere. Zero, weirdly, only gets one life and it is a chore to play as him because has a strange sluggishness to his movement and he also tags out before boss fights. Several mech suits were added in this game, but you'll hardly ever have a chance to use them and they feel like an afterthought. The X-hunter gimmick that worked really well in the second game is traded out for two robots named Bit and Byte (who are OK) and Vile fights that are kinda random and you have to beat him with the proper weapon to get the best ending. Of the first five games in the series, this is the one that I revisit the least. Still, X3 has the bones of a great game but I consider it a fairly significant downturn in quality.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mega Man X4 - Wha...what am I fighting for?!?!?!?

I did not get around to the post-SNES games in the series until a few years ago, but I have made up for lost time! If somebody argues that X4 is the finest game in the series there's not a lot can be said to counter that. X4 is fantastic. Zero comes back after the disappointing playable debut in X3 as a fully realized and extremely fun to control character with awesome special moves that he gets after each maverick just like X does except they tend to be fully integrated into his moveset so no switching is required. You can choose from either X or Zero and I have played through each campaign several times just having a blast. The music is back on track after X3 and the game is both very challenging and very rewarding. The levels themselves are varied and interesting and utilize gimmicks that don't detract from the experience. The voice acting is hilariously bad, but almost lovably so. Also, who could forget legendary maverick battles like the one against Magma Dragoon?!

mega-man-x4-usa.jpg

Mega Man X5 - The dignified true ending of the saga

X5 is such a strange beast! I think, much like X2, that it has been forgotten or discarded in the shadow of a game that is by all accounts better but not to the extent that it should have a poor reputation. In fact, X5 is a game that I adore revisiting because there are so many ways to approach it. X has multiple different armors available that change the way you play and how you decide to collect upgrades but also the bosses are not static and have different levels of power that indicate when you want to go to their stage. The whole thing is yes a bit convoluted but I think it adds to the replayability. The other strange thing is the countdown timer system as part of the story, which can seem a bit random, but once you understand how it works you can more or less game it to get the kind of outcome you want. Almost all of the bosses are references to Guns N' Roses, which is funny to me and appreciated as a GNR fan, and they are super cool! Also, Duff McWhalen's stage has a remix of the aforementioned Bubble Crab theme which I am a huge fan of. X5 has a great story (for the series) and was intended to be the end. I wish it were...

130435-mega-man-x5-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Mega Man X6 - I hid myself while I tried to repair myself

X6 should not exist. It was clearly rushed and is poorly designed and uninspired. Some of the levels are absolute bastards that are totally unforgiving and ruthless. The game received no English voice acting translation and the subtitles are full of poor grammar and typos. The soundtrack is actually phenomenal and has a lot of great guitar parts, but that's I would say its sole saving grace. The graphics are somehow a step down as they appear grainier and the color pallete is garish at times and downright ugly at others. If you want to watch a video on just how horrid the level design I suggest anything that covers the Blaze Heatnix stage. It's a total disaster. One of the worst aspects of X6 is that there are these gross robot things flying around called "nightmares" that will ruin your day as they kill the reploids that you are tasked with saving throughout each stage and if the reploid dies they never come back. Ever. That's it! I can't imagine trying to 100% this game and yet...people do it. X6 is a miserable mean-spirited and totally unnecessary game that torpedoed the sub-series. But I mean I only played through it once so if somebody in the comments suggests giving it another shot I'm not so petty as to disregard it.

megaman_x_6_pal.jpg

Mega Man X7 - Oh no baby what! is you doing???

Thought things couldn't get any worse after X6? Yeah, me too. X7 is another very, very low point. While X6 at least used familiar assets, had great tunes, and has some defenders I don't see anybody who will vouch for X7. I give the game credit for trying something different by integrating 3D in the X sub-series for the first time ever but it just feels terrible and entirely foreign. The 2D action portions are not fun and snappy like the previous SNES and PS1 games and the camera positioning, bad controls, and dreadful systems like leveling up characters is not all good. The voice acting is generally heinous and newcomer Axl has no point. You also have to unlock X. Despite the litany of problems (and my God if you haven't heard what the boss Flame Hyenard sounds like then please save your ears), I think Mega Man X7 is a bad game that's hard to hate.

51THQR27S9L.jpg

Mega Man X8 - Corrupt a wish foundation

I was told that X8 was one of the best games in the series and totally redeemed the franchise by returning to its roots. I was misinformed. While X7 is a bad game that's hard to really hate, X8 is a good game that's easy to hate. Perhaps that sounds strange, but it is the ultimate missed opportunity. The game is back to almost exclusively 2D action that is fast, responsive, and fun. The intro level shows show much promise and X, Zero, and even Axl are a blast to control. It makes an excellent first impression with attractive graphics (if overly lanky and angular character models), actively good voice acting, and an action packed opening stage. Sadly, things fall apart shortly thereafter. The majority of levels are not at all what most people are looking for from a Mega Man game. In fact, at least half are poorly executed gimmick levels including two out of the eight being vehicle stages and another two being frustrating auto-scrollers. I expected to love X8 and walked away a bitter and defeated man. My greatest hope is that we will one day get a (new) conclusion to the saga in the form of an X9 that goes back to the traditional aesthetic of the SNES or PSX games.

60507_front.jpg

Since these types of threads sometimes devolve into ranking I'll just throw my ranking here at the bottom

X1 > X4 > X2 > X5 > X3 > X8 > X7 > X6

Sephzilla

My order for ranking the games is pretty much the same as the release order, I'd only swap 7 and 8 in the rankings near the bottom. X1 and X2 are two of my favorite games ever, and I think X1 has a legitimate claim to be one of the best platformer/shooter games ever. X3 I think is a bit under rated and I'm not as high on X4 as other people are, I think it does too much and, while it's still good, I can see the signs of the quick downhill slide of the series coming even in X4.

redcrayon

Nice OP, that was a good read.

I've had a bit of an odd relationship with the Megaman games in that I played MM1-3, MMX and the GameBoy games on release in the early 90s, and then didn't go back to them again until MMX8 on PS2. Which felt so surprisingly bad as a MM game that it left me thinking 'what the hell happened!' and so I went back to MMX2 on the Wii VC etc and worked my way forward again from there. Agree that X, X2 and X4 are the better ones, with MMX definitely in my all-time top ten games. After X4 I just lose interest really, with the DS games not doing much for me either.

They do feel like they became a little too complex over time to me, shifting away from the core dynamic and moveset as more gimmicks are added. As you say, the sheer addition of mobility via the boost, boost jump and wall jump was such a huge leap from the 8-bit games that I never again felt the series get it so right in terms of innovation, no matter how many armour suits and characters they added.

MMX remains an absolute joy to play, why they didn't keep the idea of the stages changing depending on who you had beaten is beyond me, that was another awesome addition.

i don't really get the "x7 is hard to hate and x8 is easy to hate"

it's the whole opposite for me

anyway, great serie, some low but still awesome

bounchfx

I am in the weird position of X being one of my favorite games of all time, and yet I've only really played X2 and 3 maybe a couple times each, at most. and not in the past 15 years. I gotta.

StarPhlox

i don't really get the "x7 is hard to hate and x8 is easy to hate"

it's the whole opposite for me

anyway, great serie, some low but still awesome

Allow me to explain :)

X7 I had abysmally low expectations for because it was dumped on for years and years before I ever got around to it. I knew it was going to bad and so I was free to enjoy it and find things about it that I actually liked or respected.

X8 on the other hand I had heard some very good things about (return to form, etc) and then when I started it the intro was awesome. I thought I was in for hours of jumping and sliding and shooting just like before. But it let me down. Big time. So I was very disappointed by X8 just due to being given somewhat high expectations.

nynt9

Great series, but I can't really easily go back to the SNES games, the slight clunkiness and slowdown coupled with the smaller field of view and art style makes them less appealing to me. As such, the only ones I can really enjoy from this series are X4 and X5, both of which are great. I much prefer the Zero series overall, but still really great games for the most part (except 6 and 7)

Tizoc

I've beaten X1-X3 some months ago and I keep forgetting to make a thread to talk about the music in these 3 games at least.

X1 had the best music of the 3. X2 has good tracks but it's nothing compared to X1 which was very metal/rock-centric.
X3 is a mixed bag, the SNES and PSOne tunes are good in their own way but I felt they were going for a more....'melodic' approach to each Maverick which I didn't like.

THen again i am a metalhead and I liked Falcom music so X1's OST being my fav. might be biased :p

In the end though I find the X2 and X3 soundtracks to still be good and they have some tracks I like, but X1 will always stand out for me and over them.

oni-link

I'm playing though X for the first time at the moment (only the second MM game I've played after MM2) but I'm stuck on Sigma

I can beat the dog pretty easily but not without him taking me down to half life

Then Sigma kills me in one hit

I'm really enjoying it though, It's a great game. I'll have to check out X2 and X4 by the sounds of it

MMX remains an absolute joy to play, why they didn't keep the idea of the stages changing depending on who you had beaten is beyond me, that was another awesome addition.

The stages change after you beat the bosses??? I had no idea, I've pretty much just beaten each level and moved onto the next one. I haven't gone back and revisited any of them

I've also only found two energy upgrades

Maybe that's why I'm struggling with Sigma?

JimmyF

X7 is dead last to me just awful. X8 is alright I still hate how two stages are on rails, felt a bit lazy but otherwise a lot better than X7 and X6.

night814

Mega Man X1 is a top 5 game for me easily, and much like you I do a yearly run on it just to affirm my love for it. Also RIP green biker guy who dies to an awesome intro theme. Mega Man X 1-3 is one of the best trilogies in gaming history.

Mega Man X incapsulates a series that completely falls of the deep end. Somewhere in the PSX era things went wrong. X4 carries some of the same cache that X1 did with it having to "reinvent the wheel", but this time with just the X series. It has outstanding music and the ability to play 2 different stories was fresh for the time.

X5 is solid but is where the series starts it's long fall, having Zero die again just killed the series for me. X6 and on are almost unplayable IMO.

X1 is probably my favorite game of all time. I remember staying up all night at a friend's house sharing the controller on deaths trying to get through the game.

I really hope they do an X collection.

What are your thoughts on the Zero series (and ZX)? They are essentially a continuation of the X series, with a few differences.

One of my favorite things about the Mega Man franchise is that Classic -> X -> Zero -> ZX lies on a very simple and coherent timeline, story-wise. There are lots of callbacks and connections within the games which really enhance the franchise lore. Somehow Mega Man's story was handled way better than Zelda, Metroid, etc whose timelines are kind of a mess.

kingbean

X1 is best.
2 and 3 are about the same to me.
4 and 5 I like a lot because they were the first Megamans I played.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have beaten every MegaMan x game MANY times, minus x7 which I can't get through. I've tried so hard.

I like x8. I mean it's not anywhere close to the peak of the franchise, but it's solid.

Soundtracks of x1 and x3 are GOAT.

StarPhlox

What are your thoughts on the Zero series (and ZX)? They are essentially a continuation of the X series, with a few differences.

One of my favorite things about the Mega Man franchise is that Classic -> X -> Zero -> ZX lies on a very simple and coherent timeline, story-wise. There are lots of callbacks and connections within the games which really enhance the franchise lore. Somehow Mega Man's story was handled way better than Zelda, Metroid, etc whose timelines are kind of a mess.

I definitely agree with you about the connected timeline aspect (which is one of the things that bums me out most about X5 not getting to end the X series)! I really like the Zero and ZX series a great deal but I didn't think I could do them justice by including them in this thread.

Zero series I love the art for and I deeply enjoyed the progression of the games how I played them on the DS collection. At the same time, I think they are too punishing with lives and I don't care for the scoring aspect they integrated starting with the first in that series.

The ZX games I've only played through a single time each and while the gameplay is pretty much perfect, I really got so confused by the bad map that it was a big turn-off. Advent fixed several problems I had with the original and is a better game. Wish we would have gotten another of these!

Also, ZX has one of my favorite game songs ever: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2372F86688820A18&v=-cWO6Q4FlKE

I'm playing though X for the first time at the moment (only the second MM game I've played after MM2) but I'm stuck on Sigma

I can beat the dog pretty easily but not without him taking me down to half life

Then Sigma kills me in one hit

I'm really enjoying it though, It's a great game. I'll have to check out X2 and X4 by the sounds of it

The stages change after you beat the bosses??? I had no idea, I've pretty much just beaten each level and moved onto the next one. I haven't gone back and revisited any of them

I've also only found two energy upgrades

Maybe that's why I'm struggling with Sigma?

Yeah, for example if you beat Storm Eagle, Spark Mandrills level will have ship debris spread around the level and I believe the power will be out in certain parts of the level where it's normally on.

X1 was one of the first game I've gotten. I think it was one of my first 5 games. First was Super Mario for sure.

I didn't know anything about it at the time, I was only 7. I thought the boxart looked cool, that's why I asked my parent to get it for me.

Phased

X6 was clearly just designed around "Ok lets give him Zero's saber and just fill in the blanks as we go"

It was fun to play around with for a bit but the game got pretty rough pretty fast once you got past the initial cool factor of slashing shit up with a saber as X

Yeah, for example if you beat Storm Eagle, Spark Mandrills level will have ship debris spread around the level and I believe the power will be out in certain parts of the level where it's normally on.

I believe if you beat Chill Penguin, either Spark Mandril or Flame Mammoth's stage will be effected by Chill Penguin's stage.

Also, each maverick is greatly effected by other maverick weapons. (i.e. Launch Octopus looses his tentacles when you use Boomer Kuwanger's weapon).

jviggy43

Pretty much right with everything you said OP, great write up! I actually think 2 and 4 both don't get the credit they deserve. I actually remember liking 8 but not so much as I would rank it with 1, 2, 4, and 5 as much as it wasn't quite 6 (which is my personal least favorite of the bunch).

I can't tell you the number of times Ive asked for a 16 bit X9 in the vein of MM 9 and 10. Sucks that capcom likely wont ever do it.

My ranking

x2>x1>x4>x5>x8>x3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x6

(never played 7 )

I wasn't a fan of X5.

My ranking of MMX would be: MMX>MMX2>MMX4>MMX5>MMX3

The rest I either didn't play or is too terrible to rank.

You should give Command Mission a try if you can find it. It's a solid enough RPG that at least gives some of the characters some personality.

For the X games: 1>2>4>3>5>6>8>7

X1, X2, X4 and X5 are favorites but I seriously don't understand how the end of X3 was playtested.

Very little makes my blood boil like the rising lava segment. I beat it by accidentally knocking over my PS2 while playing and having corrupted, almost transparent lava sprites.

The credits crashed but as far as I'm concerned, I beat X3 and never want to play it again.

PS4 release of the X series please. Have too many fond memories of X1. Outside of 7 & 8, I still haven't played X3 and only recently played X4 a few years ago on PS3.

Also I will admit that I don't think X6 is that bad, although a definite decline from X5 which I have the most attachment to along with X1.

StarPhlox

PS4 release of the X series please. Have too many fond memories of X1. Outside of 7 & 8, I still haven't played X3 and only recently played X4 a few years ago on PS3.

Also I will admit that I don't think X6 is that bad, although a definite decline from X5 which I have the most attachment to along with X1.

I have to believe that the next thing we will get is a MMX collection either this year or next. It'll suffice in lieu of a sequel.

X1 is my favorite game ever. My experience playing that game as a kid was just absolutely magical.

I love X2 and X3 equally, they kinda trade blows in areas so I can't really decide which one I like best.

X4 is an amazing game that only suffers from Jet Stingray's waste of a stage, imo. Love everything else about.

I played X5 before 4 and yeah it's such a weird game with little annoyances that add up to make it not as good as X4 but man I still love it. I really enjoyed the epic feel of the story and the multiple endings.

Now X6, I guess I am one of its few defenders. Yes it's rushed as hell and has terrible amateur rom hack-ish level "design", but if you know the exploits then it can be a legit fun game. Zero is hilariously overpowered (ie Guard Shell exploit is SO fun to abuse and he even has an invincibility glitch). X has some cool saber tech. And then it's just a matter of knowing what works against what (charged Metal Anchor will destroy the giant donuts in Blaze Heatnix instantly) So despite the terrible level design I still find this game way more fun than anything in X8's infuriating level design gimmicks.

My ranking would be something like X1 > X2 == X3 > X4 > X5 > X6 >>>>> X8 > X7

aadiboy

I don't like X5 that much. It's not terrible like X6, but it has too many things wrong with it to rank up there with X1-X4. The constant breaks due to navigators talking to you is annoying. The level design isn't great, especially Duff McWhalen's stage which is really slow and boring. The time limit is an annoyance more than anything else, especially since there is still some randomness to success in the end. Without voice acting the game feels kind of empty. Overall I think it's the worst of the first 5 games.

I believe if you beat Chill Penguin, either Spark Mandril or Flame Mammoth's stage will be effected by Chill Penguin's stage.

Also, each maverick is greatly effected by other maverick weapons. (i.e. Launch Octopus looses his tentacles when you use Boomer Kuwanger's weapon).

Yeah, Chill Penguin makes the lava in Flame Mammoth's stage turn into ice. The heart is much easier to obtain because X can walk on the ice that he couldn't otherwise when it was lava.

Willenium

X, X2 and X4 are all really, really good games. The rest..... hoo, boy.

I maintain that Capcom purposely half-assed MegaMan 7 in order to make the X series look better.

X came out in 93 and the sprites are all proportioned well to the screen and the surroundings, the action is smooth and fast-paced, the music is AMAZING, the level layout is genius, even the story is pretty good.

MM7 came out in 1995 and the character sprites are huge, movement is slow and clumsy as all hell, the bosses are weak conceptually and in battle (Junk Man? come on.) and, with the exception of Spring Man's stage, the music and levels are totally uninspired.

SephLuis

I started the series with X4 when I was a kid. I loved X5 and, dare say that I liked X6.

Having replayed X4-X5 recently, I still love both games. Couldn't return to X6 yet because it doesn't have a PSN version like the others.

I also played X8 (which I felt it was just a regular game) and the X remake for PSP. Liked both, but I wasn't particularly amazed by neither.

I still have to play the original X and X2-X3 someday and try to actually finish Command Mission. I don't think of playing X7 ever at least.

Balb

Actually started playing X6 again last night. What a mess of a game. I don't know how I had the patience to complete the game 10+ years ago. I wish the game was rebalanced/retranslated because what we got was really busted.

SeanTSC

Glad to see a couple mentions of Command Mission. I absolutely LOVE it and I really, really, really hope that it's included in a new MMX Collection if they do one for modern consoles. It's a very solid JPRG and immensely fun if you're a MMX fan.

It's one of my favorite series. I have replayed every game many many times.

My order is X>X2>X4>X5>X3>X6>X8>>>X7.

X is a timeless classic. Not much more needs to be said. Curiously I find Sigma to be the hardest in this game, mostly because he takes very little damage from your weapons.

X2 is fast paced and fun all around. Love the Agile, Sigma and Zero fights.

I don't like X3 as much as most people because it feels slow, Zero sucks and the boss patterns consist mostly of repetitive dashing at the wall. Bit is a great fight, though. It's nice to have various ride armor types, but in the end I don't use them as much.

X4 is amazing, and has the best graphics of the ps1 era. I may be alone in this, but I think the bike level is quite fun. Zero's playstyle is my favorite to this day. The quality of the animated cutscenes is not so good, but at the time they were the coolest shit. No comment on X's English voice hahaha

X5 probably has the best story. Alia interrupting you to talk was a very unfortunate decision, and the bosses tend to be very easy. Nevertheless I quite like this game.

X6 is hated for its level design and I could never defend stuff like Metal Shark Player or Blaze Heatnix. Nevertheless I think the nightmare system was a creative idea and could be fun if it were better implemented. Fuck the darkness effect, though. Also, getting stuck with 9 lives and no way out of a level execept killing yourself repeatedly is no fun. Shadow armor is cool and way better than Gaea. I like the story and think the japanese voices are good, so no complaints here. Gate in particular was a very interesting character with his relation to Alia's past.

X7 is trash. So is Axl. BURN TO THE GROUND.

X8 is ok, but I think it lost some of the feel of the series. I don't care much for the characterization and story in this game.

There's also the Xtreme games on the Game Boy. The first one is crap, but the second is quite good for the system it is in, has a nice story and a cool swap system similar to X8.

Command Mission is a fun RPG and has a nice story, the final boss and twist are rather dumb though, in my opinion.

jb1234

I've only played the first four. X is a classic. X2 and X4 are good games. X3 felt sloppy and uninspired but was still entertaining.

oni-link

I just beat X this morning, great game, and the final boss wasn't as hard as I'd feared

I'll play X2 and X4 at some point

Based on this thread those seem like the best games after X

Raitaro

Between your awesome Castlevania thread and this one, you are quickly becoming one of the Gaffers to look out for StarPhlox! Keep it up!

Mega Man X is definetely in my top 10 or perhaps even top 5 SNES games. I love the music, the character designs, the gameplay mechanics (the wall jump and dash especially), the story bits with Vile and Sigma, the rideable mechs, the animal-based bosses, and also the nods to Street Fighter.

I also really liked MMX2 and had many debates with myself and friends about which game I thought was better. I think I never came to a definite conclusion about that actually, though I have not replayed MMX2 in a long while and wouldn't be able to re-evaluate the title again right now. MMX3 I never ended up playing for some reason, but MMX4 I really liked again when I played it some years after its release. The anime cutscenes and voices, while bad, really give this game a unique layer of polish and charm imo, while a fully playable Zero offered more replay value. I never played any of the later installments though, which in a way might be a blessing in disguise in most cases.

For those into art books, I also highly recommend the fantastic book Capcom and Udon at one point released for this subseries. The art for the bosses and enemies alone is worth the price. It's available as a stand-alone title but also, more affordably and easily available I think, in a newer edition that also includes the equivalent book for the regular Mega Man series.

X8 is a lot better then you're giving it credit for, it's the best of the weaker X games and I'd argue it's more enjoyable to replay then X5.

I'd go

X1 > X4 > X2 > X3 > X8 > X5 > X6 > X7

And while I have a lot of issues with X5's stupid timer mechanics and garbage pure randomness of the laser and satellite I think the game is still worth playing. X6 and X7 are the only games I'd say are actively bad.

Also there is a rom hack for mmx3 that lets zero be a fully playable character and you can freely switch between him and X. Highly recommend you check it.

NEO0MJ

It's pretty funny how I didn't any even numbered Megaman X game. I should get to 2 and especially 4.

The armor gimmick in 5 was a lot of fun.

Top Bottom