• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTings burn in test shows QD-OLEDs are actually more prone to burn in than W-OLED

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Rtings always finds the most obnoxious people for their videos. The lady takes the cake. The video is almost unwatchable lol.
Anyway - Results are completely expected. The white pixel does the job! It takes the work away from other pixels and has the longest life.

My remote is coming today. I am disabling tpc and gsr on my c1. I feel confident it will survive.
2 years in, 5k hours. Still like brand new. Even if it died now, I am getting another one

Have any of you considered that it's not only the tv fault but the room natural ligh also is a factor to a good quality picture?
I remember when i was teenager playing ps2 on a 14inch Grundig over our fridge and there was times it had lines, different colours mixing i don't know all the shit a tv can have that one had it and me and the friends did not care.
My father bought a 2000$ TV at 2005 and we were not even allowed to glance it 🤣🤣 with our filthy eyes.
And now people talk crazy for some pixel not being perfection. I have the Q80N Samsung QLED and in a dark room is perfectly fine. But because of the tv position (must follow the designer furniture position otherwise it will break the Feng sui or some woman crap like that) and the window location mornings are difficult because of reflection.

dotnotbot

Have any of you considered that it's not only the tv fault but the room natural ligh also is a factor to a good quality picture?
I remember when i was teenager playing ps2 on a 14inch Grundig over our fridge and there was times it had lines, different colours mixing i don't know all the shit a tv can have that one had it and me and the friends did not care.
My father bought a 2000$ TV at 2005 and we were not even allowed to glance it 🤣🤣 with our filthy eyes.
And now people talk crazy for some pixel not being perfection. I have the Q80N Samsung QLED and in a dark room is perfectly fine. But because of the tv position (must follow the designer furniture position otherwise it will break the Feng sui or some woman crap like that) and the window location mornings are difficult because of reflection.

Nothing beats the experience of watching high-contrast or dark scenes on OLED in a pitch black room. It's an out of world and almost spiritual, out of body experience compared to watching any LCD in any light conditions. The first time I watched dark scenes of Arrival on OLED I cried.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

But some OLED prophets for the past years were telling me that' I'm mistaken and lying that OLED is no longer susceptible to burn in!!! Who lied then, WHO?
They'll get them but not during normal,this is more about samsungs claims qd oled was more resistant than oled which doesn't seem to be the case,the LG oleds didn't get any burn in during these tests.

Oled will end up hanging out with plasma in the retirement home in a few years when mini-led becomes standard and improves.
Are you getting confused with Micro LED?

Mini LED sucks. It uses an LED for multiple pixels and as a result has blooming. Micro LED has an LED for each pixel which makes it on par with OLED.

That said, you're right. OLED will go the way of Plasma once Micro LED improves and becomes more affordable.

Good to know that burn in isn't a real issue on OLED anymore. I've got a LG.
I've owned multiple OLED devices with no burn in. TVs, phones, consoles.

My phone is easily the most used with thousands of hours usage. The screen looks just as good as it did the day I got it. Same for my Switch OLED.

I think to get burn in these days you need to go out of your way to try make it happen. I mean like watching a news channel for hours on end every day with 100% brightness/contrast. My living room OLED has football and the news on a lot and there isn't a mark on the screen. I regularly check it for burn in but nope nothing there.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
lol, no.

Nothing beats per pixel control.
Micro LED or similar tech will retire OLED, nothing else. Mini LED is "crap" in direct comparison, and at the point where you have enough zones to make the results equal or at least indistinguishable for the naked eye you`ve arrived in MicroLED territory.
Oh a bet!
Are you getting confused with Micro LED?

Mini LED sucks. It uses an LED for multiple pixels and as a result has blooming. Micro LED has an LED for each pixel which makes it on par with OLED.

That said, you're right. OLED will go the way of Plasma once Micro LED improves and becomes more affordable.
nope, micro led is still years out for mass consumer use. Oled is just like plasma. It will go away when micro led gets a bit better and a lot cheaper.
I will mark this thread. This is going to be glorious in 3-4 years.

ParaSeoul

This is going to be glorious in 3-4 years.

Big Sean Omg GIF

Oh a bet!

nope, micro led is still years out for mass consumer use. Oled is just like plasma. It will go away when micro led gets a bit better and a lot cheaper.
I will mark this thread. This is going to be glorious in 3-4 years.
Nah mate. MiniLEDs aren't replacing OLED. Save the thread if you want.

MicroLED will replace OLEDs.

So a good decade or more even while OLEDs get even cheaper.
Yeah they will but like anything there will be new technology. I love my OLED TVs but i know something will come around to replace them at some point. And right now that seems like MicroLED.

OLEDs will still be a good choice until MicroLED drops in price.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Mini LEDs at their best still get beaten by OLEDs at their worst. People will argue about how OLED tech is flawed because of the potential of burn in that's become a non issue but continue to ignore all the glaring flaws of LCD tech,now that's some outdated tech we should have phased out.

PaNaMa

Banned
Just chiming in to say my LGC1 oled has no burn in after 1.5 years, and I use it every day for gaming on my series X. Mostly playing Destiny 2, and it kicks on dolby vision and is bright as fuck 100/100 contrast and oled panel brightness while gaming etc.

ParaSeoul

Yeah they will but like anything there will be new technology. I love my OLED TVs but i know something will come around to replace them at some point. And right now that seems like MicroLED.

OLEDs will still be a good choice until MicroLED drops in price.
Yeah thats what i meant,micro led is the only thing that will replace oled but i feel it will still be priced out of reach for a longer time than people think while oleds will probably take over from lcds as the main display type for tvs at least i hope until micro led reaches the point where oled cant compete on either price or performance.

ParaSeoul

Just chiming in to say my LGC1 oled has no burn in after 1.5 years, and I use it every day for gaming on my series X. Mostly playing Destiny 2, and it kicks on dolby vision and is bright as fuck 100/100 contrast and oled panel brightness while gaming etc.
C1 since November 2021,no issues at all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There was that one or two gaffers who said this was a myth and almost impossible to happen. Wonder where those idiots are.
Though I am current testing a new OLED monitor right now every single time I bring up how I prefer my 32" mini LED Samsung monitor simply because I don't want to worry about burn in those same few guys always laugh and tell me the same thing that its way overblown and simply doesn't happen

Truth is I don't want to worry about my display and honestly this mini led monitor looks great

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah thats what i meant,micro led is the only thing that will replace oled but i feel it will still be priced out of reach for a longer time than people think while oleds will probably take over from lcds as the main display type for tvs at least i hope until micro led reaches the point where oled cant compete on either price or performance.
Mini LED done right looks damn nice

I don't know how Apple packed 10,000 mini leds into the Ipad Pro but that screen looks great

Lone Wolf

Mini LED done right looks damn nice

I don't know how Apple packed 10,000 mini leds into the Ipad Pro but that screen looks great
How many zones though?

Edit: 2,596 Zones. So more than any other mini LED Display I believe. To compare, Samsungs best LED TV, the QN90B has 900 zones in its 75 inch size.

Mini LED done right is just getting it as close to 1 to 1 pixel ratio as possible for the best price. Still gonna be a while until it’s mainstream. Apple got a lot of zones crammed in for a 12.9 inch display.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
this is why i game on VA panel monitor.

Jimmy Fallon Flirt GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I've been gaming on OLED's for years without issues. I've also been using my AW3423DW for productivity work and gaming for almost a year without any signs of burn in.

These tests only proves that WOLED is harder to burn in than QD-OLED panels, not that normal users will have any issues. These are extreme tests, with a use case that applies to almost no one that purchase these monitors for the intended use.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How many zones though?

Edit: 2,596 Zones. So more than any other mini LED Display I believe.

Mini LED done right is just getting it as close to 1 to 1 pixel ratio as possible for the best price. Still gonna be a while until it’s mainstream. Apple got a lot of zones crammed in for a 12.9 inch display.
Yeah amazing they did that on such a smaller screen

Schmendrick

Mini LEDs at their best still get beaten by OLEDs at their worst. People will argue about how OLED tech is flawed because of the potential of burn in that's become a non issue but continue to ignore all the glaring flaws of LCD tech,now that's some outdated tech we should have phased out.
If we look beyond TVs, that`s a resounding "No!".
OLED is in no way ready to replace LCD in everday productivity work at monitors f.e.. Is OLED king for media consumption? No question. For Excel/Word/Outlook/Compilerwork? Hell no.
As great as OLED tech may be it`s absolutely not an allrounder.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

How many zones though?

Edit: 2,596 Zones. So more than any other mini LED Display I believe. To compare, Samsungs best LED TV, the QN90B has 900 zones in its 75 inch size.

Controlling thousands of zones is another serious issue. With the current SOCs that you can find in TVs, it seems impossible to do well and within <10 ms for each frame.

Last edited:
Though I am current testing a new OLED monitor right now every single time I bring up how I prefer my 32" mini LED Samsung monitor simply because I don't want to worry about burn in those same few guys always laugh and tell me the same thing that its way overblown and simply doesn't happen

Truth is I don't want to worry about my display and honestly this mini led monitor looks great my
Are you worried about dying in a car accident every single time you set foot in one? I‘m pretty sure that‘s happening way more times than a C2 getting burn ins.

Tarin02543

2023 qd oled uses new materials for the blue emitter so will be better

Next year we should be hearing about QNED, that’s microled with quantum dots

Gamezone

Gold Member
But some OLED prophets for the past years were telling me that' I'm mistaken and lying that OLED is no longer susceptible to burn in!!! Who lied then, WHO?

Dude, these are extreme tests. They are basically throwing everything at it in order to purposely burn the image, yet the LG TV's won't budge. Yeah, they managed it on Sony and Samsung by creating a unrealistic use case that won't reflect any real life usage. You'll be fine. Just don't turn the brightness all the way up and watch CNN all day without ever changing channels.

How many zones though?

Wow, that‘s just 8,291,804 zones short of any 4K OLED. Incredible!

Last edited:

Chiggs

But serious YouTube experts like Caleb from Digital Trends and White Gloves from Stop the FOMO told me otherwise!

How can this be that YouTubers aren't experts at all, but are in fact paid schills?!

Really glad I opted for a C2 OLED rather than QD-OLED.

I just couldn't bring myself to trust Samsung, and after all the build quality issues and now these burn-in issues, it's clear that Samsung isn't ready for prime time in the OLED space.

Last edited:
There was that one or two gaffers who said this was a myth and almost impossible to happen. Wonder where those idiots are.
These are basically stress tests not real life use, and LG OLEDS have been mostly unaffected.

The reason this is happening is because all three RGB sub pixels operate at 100% to create white on QD-OLED vs just the white sub pixel on WRGB OLED.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wow, that‘s just 8,291,804 zones short of any 4K OLED. Incredible!
And it looks great and I don't have any burn in concerns

Look I have a C9 and most recently played with a C2 as a monitor for quite some time and while yes OLED looks superior for my main displays OLED just doesn't work for me

I think the OLED debate gets under people's skin as much as which platform others play on

Puscifer

Im not rich enough to replace my TV every year. If the OLEDs premium price doesnt last me at least 4 years then it can fuck off.
I bought the LG C9 in 2019, I'm going on my 4th year of gaming and movie watching and nothings wrong.

Here's 10,000 hours of use as a monitor, no burn in.

------------

Rtings has updated this page, even with 6 months of CNN 24/7 at one point even older OLEDs showed no sign of burn in

---------------

Another one, the guy even with 10K hours and burn in from an older more suseptical, LG came to his home 1.5 years outside of the warranty and replaced it for free. This is also common, LG backs their panels

-----------

What makes me laugh is that I bet a lot of people who whine about OLED will spend 8-9 hours a day staring at the phone for years with no burn in but higher quality panels with more protection

HTK

Banned
And it looks great and I don't have any burn in concerns

Look I have a C9 and most recently played with a C2 as a monitor for quite some time and while yes OLED looks superior for my main displays OLED just doesn't work for me

I think the OLED debate gets under people's skin as much as which platform others play on
Did you dabble with the C2 42" as a monitor/s replacement? That's something I'm exploring now, I know you and I have similar LG Monitor setups. I have two LG 27" on a mount on my desk but I've been thinking about getting the C2 42 as a replacement. Mainly because of the picture quality of an OLED but also for something bigger in general and ultimately to get rid of the clutter of wires with two monitors and also save some desk space.

Curious if you've tried this route already.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did you dabble with the C2 42" as a monitor/s replacement? That's something I'm exploring now, I know you and I have similar LG Monitor setups. I have two LG 27" on a mount on my desk but I've been thinking about getting the C2 42 as a replacement. Mainly because of the picture quality of an OLED but also for something bigger in general and ultimately to get rid of the clutter of wires with two monitors and also save some desk space.

Curious if you've tried this route already.
I did I had the 42" C2 on my desk replacing 2 LG 27" panels and honestly loved the C2

I know this opens another can of worms but for my main set up during the day I have massive amounts of natural light that comes in and I wont put shades up blocking my view and that is the biggest killer of OLED for me

Currently playing with this 45" LG OLED monitor in a little different set up thats more light controlled and for gaming this display is gorgeous but only being 1440p at this size text does not look good

But circling back to the C2 regardless of what some say I do in fact leave static images up often and for PC desktop use I just would rather deal with drawbacks of other tech

My first HD LED TV was a 27" Samsung, which I bought for 1080i gaming on the original Xbox and then used with my Xbox 360, but I have never been that impressed with the quality of their products, based on the Samsung TVs my parents have owned over the years with backlight failures and various other firmware issues, and have since tended to avoid them personally. I was a fan of Sony products for their reliability based on experience (excluding PlayStations) but in recent years have become less impressed by their high pricing and lack of features (only 2 HDMI ports for example and lacking VRR support until last year on many of their models).

LG were a manufacturer I would never have considered buying a TV from before but since I couldn't find a decent Sony TV with VRR support and with the Xbox Series X and PS5 incoming, I opted to buy a 55" LG B9 OLED back in August 2019 and, honestly, I couldn't be more delighted as it is still a very impressive TV and easily the best one I have ever owned. At some point I will upgrade but it will almost certainly be a newer LG OLED model or possibly even a Panasonic OLED as they have accurate colour calibration right out of the box. QD-OLED TVs initially looked promising but being new technology it was something I was keen to avoid, especially from Samsung, until it had matured and it seems, based on these tests, that it may have been a good decision as was the one to avoid Sony.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
So unless you leave it on CNN hours on end or use it as a monitor, you shouldn’t be worried.

If I have to replace my QD Oled a decade from now I won’t cry about it that’s for sure.

SoraNoKuni

Burn in is possible but it's unlikely to occur before you replace it(if it's your main TV) and that's a fact for years, if you watch CNN 24/7 then yeah, it'll happen, but normal use, Nuh.

People defending mini led and lcd are just taking copium, I am sorry.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I bought the LG C9 in 2019, I'm going on my 4th year of gaming and movie watching and nothings wrong.

Here's 10,000 hours of use as a monitor, no burn in.

------------

Rtings has updated this page, even with 6 months of CNN 24/7 at one point even older OLEDs showed no sign of burn in

[/URL]

---------------

Another one, the guy even with 10K hours and burn in from an older more suseptical, LG came to his home 1.5 years outside of the warranty and replaced it for free. This is also common, LG backs their panels

-----------

What makes me laugh is that I bet a lot of people who whine about OLED will spend 8-9 hours a day staring at the phone for years with no burn in but higher quality panels with more protection

Here is a 2015 lg oled from before the even started using the letter naming system with no burn in

ParaSeoul

So unless you leave it on CNN hours on end or use it as a monitor, you shouldn’t be worried.

If I have to replace my QD Oled a decade from now I won’t cry about it that’s for sure.
Burn in is possible but it's unlikely to occur before you replace it(if it's your main TV) and that's a fact for years, if you watch CNN 24/7 then yeah, it'll happen, but normal use, Nuh.

People defending mini led and lcd are just taking copium, I am sorry.
This is more about Samsung making claims QD OLED was inherently better when it came to burn in than LGs oled tech but we can see it isn't the case.

Arioco

It's a bit weird because it seems to depend not only on the technology used, but also the brand. For whatever reason SONY TVs suffer more from image retention than LG, regardless the panel they use, both W-OLED and QD-OLED from SONY show more image retention than LG, even if they use an EVO panel from LG. This doesn't make much sense but there must be a reason, an it's not because of the difference in compensation cicles, since Rtings had that detail into account, so I have no idea what could be the cause of this.

In any case this must be an extreme text and I'm not sure it's representative of real life usage. I have them both (LG CX and Samsung S95B) and I haven't experience any kind of image retention at all on any of them. I usually use both for gaming and watch a lot of HDR content and I even mistreat my S95B by unlocking the 1.500 nits in the service menu. Of course some of the games I play show static elements on screen, that's inevitable. Still no trace of image retention or burn-in, even though I haven't been especially careful.

Of course I'm not saying they are inmune to burn-in, it's just that in my experience it haven't been an issue in real normal usage. It might be in the future, who knows. But my CX is already 3 years old and so far so good, it looks pretty much as it did when I purchased it.

Does anyone know what settings is Rting using? I guess they're displaying SDR content (CNN doesn't broadcast in HDR, does it?) but is brightness set to max to accelerate pixel degradation?

hinch7

Didn't Linus from LTT get burn in on his LG TV? Thats with him using his OLED TV as a monitor. People have been using OLED TV's as monitors for years and unless you're careful and take precautionary measures there's still high chance of image retention. Gaming monitors are also now a thing and quite a few using Samsung panels.

That and there's several OLED monitors in the market. You can bet a lot of them will have the task bar static at the bottom and perhaps an internet browser/discord or whatever icons static on screen for hours. Which is why I haven't bought one for PC use, its way too much hassle to avoid eventual burn in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom