• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution may use 12gig proprietary disc.(rumor)

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=640533&posted=1#post640533

Noticed this yesterday. Very believable, I would say.

From the Revo-Europe (formerly Cube-Europe) mailbag:

Q: Which kind of storage medium do you think the Revolution is going to use? Since I've read great things about Sony's Blu-Ray disc.
Richard, 16

A: The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future.

Originally posted by Teasy on B3D forums.

goomba

Banned
12 gig disks?

Ps3 disk capacity > Rev > X360 ?

Doesnt sound right to me, DVD will be a decent enough upgrade from gamecube and be plenty enough storage.. Unless

argon

I think this may have been a typo (12cm --> 12gig) but going proprietary with a higher storage medium seems logical given Nintendo's record on defeating piracy, and would fit in with the "additional surprises" comments.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Xbox360=8GB Disk Capacity
Revolution=12GB Disk Capacity

........ ... . ..... ...does not compute.....

*Explosion*

jarro11.gif

"My memories a little fuzzy, but the revolution disks will hold 12 gigs"

jarro10.gif

"Interesting if true"

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
argon said:
I think this may have been a typo (12cm --> 12gig) but going proprietary with a higher storage medium seems logical given Nintendo's record on defeating piracy, and would fit in with the "additional surprises" comments.

yeah. its the only reason why i wouldnt completely write off this rumor.. it helped them immensely with the gamecube,, so you never know.

Beatbox said:
Definitely not needed without HD support.

not true. you can never have enough space.

Particle Physicist

SpiffyG said:
Wouldn't that probably equal longer load times? (serious question>_<)

not necessarily.. the drive will most likely be faster than what the ps2 has... and if developers optimize the disk.. the load times shouldnt be that bad.

monkeyrun

SpiffyG said:
Nintendo engineers probably found some awesomely fast disk caching /streaming method. I have faith in Miyamoto that he won't allow long load time on Nintendo systems.

SpiffyG said:

Well, you're not going to load all 12 gigs into ram at once. PS3 is dozens of gigs of space, but it's how fast it takes to fill up the 512 MB of ram to help determine load times.

HyperionX

Maybe it's this:

http://www.oes.itri.org.tw/eng/rese...gies/forward-versatile-disc.jsp?tree_idx=0100

Forward Versatile Disc (FVD)
What is FVD?

FVD (Forward Versatile Disc) can be acclaimed as advanced multimedia (multi-functional) disc or red laser high definition audio & video disc. It regenerates high definition quality audio & video signals to fulfill all the requirements of HD-TV and high definition digital movies by using the latest advanced red laser technology. Thus FVD upgrades DVD to a new A/V frontier by achieving an outstanding performance.

FVD and DVD do have differences in physical and logical formats as shown in the comparison chart. Although both of them are using the same Red laser (650nm&#65289;Pick Up Head ( NA=0.6~0.65), however, the physical capacity has been expanded from DVD’s 4.7GB to FVD’s 5.4GB(1 layer) –15GB(3 layers). Single layer FVD (5.4 GB) can provide high definition program, 1280x720p, for 135 minutes. For three layers FVD, it can even provide 1920x1080i program up to three hours. Furthermore, the modulation code, the ECC, copy protection and the data compression all are applying the latest, new and different technologies such as AES and WMV-9.

hooo

boooy
SpiffyG said:

If only you mean that there's more data on disc for there to load. Right now only Nintendo knows and considering their refusal to use CD's with the 64 and their approach to the optical media in the GC, I'm sure that loading won't be too much of an issue with whatever solution they choose.

monkeyrun said:
Nintendo engineers probably found some awesomely fast disk caching /streaming method. I have faith in Miyamoto that he won't allow long load time on Nintendo systems.
Reggie said there won't be long times, in his adress (go hunt for the link I don't have it off hand :p) on lack of HD. Shorter loading times is the only reason why I applaud lack of HD support on the Rev.

fresquito

quadriplegicjon said:
not necessarily.. the drive will most likely be faster than what the ps2 has... and if developers optimize the disk.. the load times shouldnt be that bad.
That´s a given, it can´t get any slower!

Keru_Shiri said:
jarro11.gif

"My memories a little fuzzy, but the revolution disks will hold 12 gigs"

jarro10.gif

"Interesting if true"
I remember that and get the gist of what you're saying, but I can't remember the actual quote. Anybody care to refresh my memory?

xexex

Banned
Sega used proprietary 1.2 gig GD-ROMs

if the 12 gig Revolution DVD format is true, Nintendo has 1up'd Microsoft in storage capacity. not that there's really much difference between dual layer DVD9 and a special 12 gig DVD...but, cool beans :)

cvxfreak

I never did think that Nintendo would go with the same media as Microsoft - it would just be too damaging on a piracy level. I always believed in a custom format, but what type is the question.

I always wondered why no game company just didn't do something like the UMD - where you remove the immediate compatibility of your media with a computer. Then again, GBA games are priated up the wazoo, so what do I know.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Man, this is pretty damned old. Strong conjecture - dare I say it - put-to-paper reporting said that the Revolution would be using proprietary, full-sized discs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ratcliffja said:
I remember that and get the gist of what you're saying, but I can't remember the actual quote. Anybody care to refresh my memory?
Something along the lines of "I remember when Muhammad Ali fought a 400 ft. tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory's a little fuzzy, but I do believe the entire Earth was destroyed."

"Interesting if true."

vitaflo

Do the GC disks have more space than a Mini DVD disk? My bet is they'll use whatever they did on the GC just a larger size, so they don't need to change the read mechanism in any way.

MetatronM said:
Something along the lines of "I remember when Muhammad Ali fought a 400 ft. tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory's a little fuzzy, but I do believe the entire Earth was destroyed."

"Interesting if true."

Haha, pure brilliance.

xsarien

daedsiluap
MetatronM said:

Screw you, I've got it on tape.

heidern

xexex said:
Sega used proprietary 1.2 gig GD-ROMs

if the 12 gig Revolution DVD format is true, Nintendo has 1up'd Microsoft in storage capacity. not that there's really much difference between dual layer DVD9 and a special 12 gig DVD...but, cool beans :)
Actually, seeing as Nintendo have decided to go the non-HD route that difference is magnified. One big saving would be that developers would not be able to go for HD FMV which would save much mucho space. But more generally, Revolution games would not require the highest resolution textures that would be necessary on the 360. They could get away with one less level of mip-mapping(namely the highest resolution) without barely any impact on the graphics.

WindyMan

The GameCube laser doesn't read regular DVDs. At least, the GameCube doesn't recognize them. If this propriatary disc thing was true, then the disc may be similar to the GC discs, which would make backwards compatibilty that much easier. Then again, how do you read standard DVDs to watch movies?

12 gigs seems like an odd number, though. I can't see it being a single-layer disc unless Panasonic is using a single-layer variant of the HD-DVD format.

Say...

Particle Physicist

WindyMan said:
The GameCube laser doesn't read regular DVDs. At least, the GameCube doesn't recognize them. If this propriatary disc thing was true, then the disc may be similar to the GC discs, which would make backwards compatibilty that much easier. Then again, how do you read standard DVDs to watch movies?

12 gigs seems like an odd number, though. I can't see it being a single-layer disc unless Panasonic is using a single-layer variant of the HD-DVD format.

Say...

it could be more than 12 but the rest might be filled with anti-piracy stuff?? maybe. i dunno.

Link

The Autumn Wind
WindyMan said:
Couldn't they just throw a second laser in there like they did with the Q?

conker

Banned
The GC laser IS a DVD laser.

It's the same 680 nanometers.

The GC discs hold about 1.5 GB, mini DVD-Rs hold about 1.8 GB.

The missing space, (.3 GB) is due to marketing bullshit and reserved system space on the GC discs.

It's just got a slightly different power calibration (in most revisions of the hardware).

The way the GC discs are recorded is where the piracy protection comes in.

I don't ebelieve anyone has been able to read a GC disc without using the GC.

Some say the recording is done from the outside in, though that's just pure speculation.

The GC game images you see on the web are created by loading a program into the GCs memory via an exploit in PSO involving the broadband adapter, then forcing the GC to dump an image of a disc.

There's been some more developments lately in the GC scene (as small as it is) in terms of getting linux to run on it, and running standard, burned dvds on it, with the aid of a mod chip and some other loading tools.

All of this snowballed form the PSO exploit.

Top Bottom