• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return To Monkey Island launches on September 19

What is up with the voice of Stan? Doesn't sound like the same one from the Special Edition releases.

Also a real shame that Earl Boen has retired, hope his replacement is a good fit for LeChuck.

graywolf323

I really really hope it’s great in spite of everything we’ve seen so far because I LOVE Monkey Island

but I might wait for reviews before picking it up at launch

Kimahri

Banned
I have no idea what you guys are on about with the art style.

Would I prefer the gorgeousness of curse? Yes, absolutely, but to me it looks like they managed to marry the style of the original with something, wrll, original in a very nice way.

They deserve my money just for not looking like every other game out there. Unique artstyles are rare these days.

I'm in, day one.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
What?! This is not on PS5 or Series X? I was doubtful about the artstyle, but wanted to support a new Monkey Island. But just not on those platforms.

Somehow I missed this was a switch/pc only release. Why even?

Last edited:
I've been making progress with my self inflicted Stockholm syndrome, and I've gotten to a place where the art no longer surprises me by the fact that I dislike it. With any luck by the time of release I'll have even mentally submitted to Carla's linebacker shoulders.

Duchess

I'm still planning to play Thimbleweed Park... So: it's not worth it?
Other reviews (websites, GOG, Steam) are all very positive. My chief complaint is that it gets too meta in the end, and I don't get on with that sort of humour. Otherwise, it's a decent puzzle game, but could've been so much better.

You might love it, but I was deeply disappointed.

Hoddi

I’m looking forward to it. And I think you all are nuts for caring about the graphics style.

People remember this series for the writing. Maybe it won’t be good but the game isn’t out yet.

It reminds me of Guacamelee!, which was an outstanding game btw.
Being a fan of Monkey Island, I'm still having trouble after these videos.
I'm trying, I'm really trying...

ShadowNate

I am in. I'm considering pre-order, even though it's pretty much pointless. I've been expecting the Ron Gilbert continuation and hopefully conclusion ever since it was said this was a thing he didn't get to do.

The new art does not bother me as much now, I don't think.

The game is at a good price too. Maybe I'll wait a few days so that if it gets a GOG DRM free pre-order page, I'll get that one.

In. This is totally giving my good nostalgia vibes. I think the art looks great, reminds me of an evolution of the Guacamelee art style which isn't a bad thing.

niilokin

Realllllly don’t like that weird 2D vector skeletal animation (not sure if this has a name or what). Everybody looks so bobbly and weird. I don’t know if I can get past that.
same... i hate it especially in games that use drawn "cinematics" and have that fucking bobbling effect...

Reactions: Fuz

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
So there's no physical release? Would like to get the PC version is a huge cardboard box with feelies included, thanks.

ShadowNate

With a Switch release, I'll be surprised if Limited Games Run (or Fangamer or another) won't do a release at some point in the near future.

Maybe they'll re-visit their Monkey Island complete boxed edition and re-release an updated version of it? One can hope.

xrnzaaas

Are there are any chances it'll get released on PS & Xbox? Seems like a weird choice to avoid these consoles, there are plenty of point&click adventure games being released on them, even some of the older titles like Edna&Harvey.

I'm still not sold on the graphics, but they don't have to be a dealbreaker if the humor and a good story will be there.

ShadowNate

I don't see why they wouldn't release on the other consoles. Maybe it is a time limited exclusivity on the Switch. Or maybe they want to do a properly managed release on the announced platforms before expanding to the other ones.

Top Bottom