• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro/Emulator thread - What are you gaming? (Picture heavy)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
** WARNING ** THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT ROMS, where to download and so on. Its only about what you are playing atm.**

I know there were a thread some time ago about retro games getting upscaled and so on, and while I did a search on the site I only found hundreds of threads about emulation on Xbox.

I know emulation has been a thing for several years, but never really pulled the plug to try it for myself. I did some PS1 emulation some time ago, but I couldnt get it to work due to a crappy emulator.

I know theres a emulator, Yuzu, for Switch games, which blew my mind. And now with Duckstation its insane how good classics can look.

Are you playing anything at the moment?:

Last edited:
I'm rocking the PS2 emulator at the moment. It's really come a long way compared to back in the day, and now I have a PC that can handle it reasonably well.

Been playing Midnight Club games, mainly. I wish Rockstar would bring this series back, it's some of the most fun I've ever had with racing games.

Codiox

Great thread!

Don't laugh but currently I'm playing GTA 2 on the dreamcast (flycast/retroarch on pc). Never finished it back then and the dreamcast version is the definite console version. I'm also playing with the dreamcast controller. These days I'm playing everything retro at native resolution with the megabezel shader and it's great.

Oh and also on mobile I'm playing advance wars 2 on the RG351V. That game is fucking hard.

RagnarokIV

I've owned a MiSTer for a few months and it's the greatest thing I've ever purchased. In particular for the PlayStation stuff.

I set up Retroarch a while back with Achievements and a nice border to seriously delve into the SNES. It's quite amazing.

apKz5aj.png

3kisjfL.png

8b6SIPt.png

The_Mike

I set up Retroarch a while back with Achievements and a nice border to seriously delve into the SNES. It's quite amazing.

apKz5aj.png

3kisjfL.png

8b6SIPt.png
I was thinking about using retro arch also for convenience of them supporting so many games but duckstation just seemed like the way better PS1 emulator.

Isn't it possible to force wide screen and graphic enhancements like duck station?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've been playing Dolphin on my Galaxy tablet with a DS4 controller. It works really well and almost no fuss. I've been playing Waverace, Skies of Arcadia, F-Zero, the massively underrated NHL Hitz, and it's just been really good for the most part.

I was thinking about using retro arch also for convenience of them supporting so many games but duckstation just seemed like the way better PS1 emulator.

Isn't it possible to force wide screen and graphic enhancements like duck station?

No idea, i use Retroarch for 16bit and below machines.

I use standalone for everything else.

StereoVsn

I think RetroArch has Duckstation core now so should be possible. Personally I run PS1/2/3/PSP standalone.

Fredrik

Used to play Super Metroid on XSX but MS wiped the emulator app, had a 100% run going with the kids. Considered swapping out the XSX to a living room PC but I’ll probably go with a cheap Retropie solution.

I have an original Amiga 1200 with CF disk plugged in as well, I don’t use it very often tbh but played some Cadaver recently and have a Dungeon Master playthrough going too.

And finally I have a home-built arcade cabinet set up in the living room with a Raspberry pi where I mostly play MAME shmups and beat’em ups. Seeing the kids struggle to use a stick is interesting, it’s my preferred control method so I can’t really relate, a D-Pad sucks compared to a proper joystick as far as I’m concerned.
The screen is starting to break down though, which is super disappointing since it’s built into the wood cabinet and I can’t change to another one but need to replace it with an identical one.

Codiox

apKz5aj.png

3kisjfL.png

8b6SIPt.png
Does the buttons on the left actually do something? This looks like a tablet bezel. Or is it for TV?
Used to play Super Metroid on XSX but MS wiped the emulator app, had a 100% run going with the kids. Considered swapping out the XSX to a living room PC but I’ll probably go with a cheap Retropie solution.

I have an original Amiga 1200 with CF disk plugged in as well, I don’t use it very often tbh but played some Cadaver recently and have a Dungeon Master playthrough going too.

And finally I have a home-built arcade cabinet set up in the living room with a Raspberry pi where I mostly play MAME shmups and beat’em ups. Seeing the kids struggle to use a stick is interesting, it’s my preferred control method so I can’t really relate, a D-Pad sucks compared to a proper joystick as far as I’m concerned.
The screen is starting to break down though, which is super disappointing since it’s built into the wood cabinet and I can’t change to another one but need to replace it with an identical one.
Beware going the retropie route. The raspberry pi is fucking expensive these days. I would go for a cheap dell office pc used. These micro PCs are going strong for like 50 to 70 bucks. Amazing value and they are a little smaller than a wii.

El Muerto

I use Kodi with the IAGL addon and Retroarch. I set it up on my usff pc used as a htpc, android streamer, retroid pocket 2+. You use Kodi to browse for a game to play, download the rom, then hit launch and the rom will open in retroarch. When exiting a game it brings you back to Kodi. Such a great setup.

The_Mike

Jesus Lord those stretched HP screens! Can't use widescreen hacks?
I tried but they don't seem to do anything.

Edit - Made it work now, but I dont know if I like it feels like I get more graphical errors.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Beware going the retropie route. The raspberry pi is fucking expensive these days. I would go for a cheap dell office pc used. These micro PCs are going strong for like 50 to 70 bucks. Amazing value and they are a little smaller than a wii.
I have a bunch of RPi4 3 and 2 already, so I just need to figure out which Retropie build is the most stable. I like the Raspberry Pi community, you can get answers so quickly if you struggle with something.

Codiox

I have a bunch of RPi4 3 and 2 already, so I just need to figure out which Retropie build is the most stable. I like the Raspberry Pi community, you can get answers so quickly if you struggle with something.
Nice, then totally go for it.

Crew511A

Picked up a Retroid Pocket 3 a few weeks ago, and am loving it so far. Saturn emulation isn't perfect, but Dreamcast and N64 both run really well.

Krathoon

I was getting an original N64 controller to work with Retroarch. You have to do some extra tweaking to get it to work.

Input Button Axis Threshold - 0.000

Analog Deadzone - 0.1 (0.0 works for me too, but a little too touchy and causes drifting in my case)

Analog Sensitivity - 2.0+ (Less than 2.0 causes the stick to act like it isn't moved all the way over even when it is, less than 0.2 seems to disable the stick all together)

Krathoon

I guess the rumble on the N64 controller works. I have not tried it out. I will have to charge the batteries.

I had one of those third party ones that rumbled and saved games. It was pretty cool.

Edit: I played some Shadowgate 64. The game is pretty cool. It is essentially a 3D Shadowgate story.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Restored my childhood gamecube, found 3 old games

Tony hawk: american wasteland
F-zero gx
Sonic riders

Also found the case and all inserts for fire emblem path of radiance but no disc in sight :(, paper mario vanished as well.

Anyway, opened it up, gave it a good clean, replaced the joystick and c stick on my old controller. The metal plates inside the console seem heavily rusted, probably water got in at some point. Not sure if theres a way to remove rust?

Front casing is yellowed, I wanted to tru retrobrighting it but buying the stuff for it is more expensive than just buying the controller board casing.

Now to the biggest hurdle, it wouldnt read discs, I adjusted the voltage of the laser with the screw and that did the trick yesterday, but today its back to not reading discs. I dont have a multimeter so ive been adjusting blindly in small increments counter clock wise. Might have to get a new laser or a multimeter.

I think this console is prime for the picoboot mod specially if the laser is gonna keep giving me trouble, would be my first experience with soldering.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Ive switched to 100% original hardware with upscaler: RetroTINK 5X.
Either Scart cables or HD retrovision component cables.
Spent the past 8 years or so restoring my consoles.

Cant do the emulation thing - I need the real deal. Everytime I go with an emulator something just feels wrong.

Some of my recent plays:
The new Tactics Ogre translation and on Sega Saturn.
Bio Hazard Battle and Alien Soldier on Mega Drive.
Metal Gear Solid and Strider 2 on PS1.
Donkey Kong '94 on Gamecube Gameboy player
Kid Icarus, GI Joe 1, and Contra Force on NES.
Final Fight CD and Lunar 1 on Sega CD.
Splatterhouse and Soldier Blade on Turbografx16.
Ace Combat 4 and Zero plus Armored Core Last Raven on PS2.

I could care less that modern gaming sucks. I have the whole history of gaming at my fingertips.
Gaming bliss and I couldnt play all this stuff in 3 lifetimes - so whatever im in the mood for.
Although I will buy that Batsugun port and Street Fighter 6 in a few weeks.

Last edited:

sachos

There should be a DuckStation core, or maybe its called SwanStation now? I know it has graphics enhancements like upscaling, no dithereing and perspective correction but im not sure about wide screen hacks. If you want the great CRT filters then yeah you should use RetroArch otherwise just use standalone DuckStation imo.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Hmmm... I found a better N64 emulator, simple64. It emulated Banjo Kazooie right. The puzzle pieces actually build the next screen like they are supposed to.

Edit: I found an even better one. The ares emulator.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. That Aeres N64 emulator is really good. They just need to get Donkey Kong 64 working. There is also this hitching every now an then.

I may stick with the MupenPlusNext for now.

** WARNING ** THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT ROMS, where to download and so on. Its only about what you are playing atm.**

I know there were a thread some time ago about retro games getting upscaled and so on, and while I did a search on the site I only found hundreds of threads about emulation on Xbox.

I know emulation has been a thing for several years, but never really pulled the plug to try it for myself. I did some PS1 emulation some time ago, but I couldnt get it to work due to a crappy emulator.

I know theres a emulator, Yuzu, for Switch games, which blew my mind. And now with Duckstation its insane how good classics can look.

Are you playing anything at the moment?:
BRB paging Nintendo... 😜

I just ordered a Miyoo Mini+ and it should arrive Thursday.

I really only want to play NES to PS1-era games and was interested in this or the RG35xx. I feel like a mobile platform is going to be the best for me because I just don't find myself playing my old games on the TV. I still have a lot of old games I want to get through so looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Been playing Ace Combat 0 on my new PC. Emulates it perfectly. Probably my favorite game of all time. Also been playing Spy Hunter on the Gamecube. Awesome little game. The sheer variety of games we got in the late 90s and early 2000s was God tier.

Naked Lunch

Been playing Ace Combat 0 on my new PC. Emulates it perfectly. Probably my favorite game of all time. Also been playing Spy Hunter on the Gamecube. Awesome little game. The sheer variety of games we got in the late 90s and early 2000s was God tier.
Ace Combat Zero truly is that good. One of the best. Shame its still stuck on PS2 only.
I could replay that game forever - using different jets on different missions for a new challenge - and those dogfight boss battles? Too good.

And yes, the variety of that era was incredible. Hard to believe how much things would slow down in the following years till now - we had it made back then. No clue how we had time to play it all though - but nothing wrong with going back and revisiting (or discovering for the first time) that stuff today.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
Ace Combat Zero truly is that good. One of the best. Shame its still stuck on PS2 only.
I could replay that game forever - using different jets on different missions for a new challenge - and those dogfight boss battles? Too good.

And yes, the variety of that era was incredible. Hard to believe how much things would slow down in the following years till now - we had it made back then. No clue how we had time to play it all though - but nothing wrong with going back and revisiting (or discovering for the first time) that stuff today.

I love the rest of the Ace Combat series, but the only game that truly captured the spirit of Zero was Project Wingman. Absolutely phenomenal game.

I've been replaying Vagrant Story on my Vita. Waiting for the Chinese retro handheld market to produce something that can reliably do PS2/GC for under $200 before I buy one. I have a Steam Deck but honestly I hate the thing and wish I hadn't bought it.
I'm in the same boat. Rocking a vita as my go to until there's a reliable and quality GC PS2 machine for $200 or so. Just finished breath of fire 3 on the vita and unsure what to do next. Maybe the mgs collection

I'm in the same boat. Rocking a vita as my go to until there's a reliable and quality GC PS2 machine for $200 or so. Just finished breath of fire 3 on the vita and unsure what to do next. Maybe the mgs collection
I would be tempted to wait for the new MGS collection that Konami is putting out in the hopes that they'll implement more modern controls.

sedg87

Banned
Currently playing Clock Tower 3. Bit of a departure from the previous games, but I am enjoying it. Great setting and atmosphere.

I bought ToTK day one, dumped it and am playing it on Yuzu on a rtx3060. It looks way better (1080p) and the framerate is marginally better.

got distracted by bloodborne and will probably just go on to the MGS games instead of back to ToTK. Maybe I will start ToTK back up sometime soon though.

BryceNobody

ToTK already came out, but I’m much too busy re-playing Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. Modded a GameCube with GC Loader clone + HDMI output and cleaned up a gently-used Wavebird off Craigslist… been dumping absurd hours into these games.

The Legend Of Zelda Link GIF by GIPHY Gaming

(Bonus fun: using an ISO modder to add QoL features in WW. Don’t think I can play this game again without the Swift Sail — what a massive difference!)

lukilladog

I am deciding on which arcade to learn next, Space Gun or Crime fighters 2 (Vendetta)... and I'll share a couple of videos I made when I was rgb modding my tv's btw:

Last edited:

Holammer

I do all my emulation on my PC so I just upgraded CPU from a 6700k to a more recent 13600k.
The old one could handle many PS3 games fine with RPCS3 and Yuzu's Switch emulation often better than real hardware, i.e. no noticeable fps drops with ultra hand active in TotK. But it was long in the tooth. Now I have serious overhead to apply fps patches or set Vblank. Games that struggled like R&C: A Crack in Time runs and looks great at 1440p with 4k resolution scaling + shader compile is virtually invisible.

I have always been curious about the R&C series, so I figure I will play some of the future series games ahead of Rift Apart's PC release. There's also a couple of Switch games I always wanted to enjoy at 60fps like Kirby & the Forgotten Land, but I also play some older games like Link to the Past which I got inspired to try again after reading this thread singing its praise.
Haven't played it since it was new, so there's some rediscovery with bits I had forgotten and I'm about to get the third pendant.
The controls are a *massive* mess by modern standards.

Top Bottom