• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ya'll some lazy assses

all i gotta do is

turn on the TV
turn on the receiver
set the tv to the right HDMI
fuck no not that one fuck no one uses that one you dumb TV
set the receiver to the right channel (it's my roommate's setup)
turn on the XRGB
plug in the SCART
wait is that coming in mono and green? fuck clean the SCART with whatever's nearby right quick and try again
okay now just click the XRGB remote and load the right profile
wait don't you have this one over component? i think that's D in moonspeak....no wait, yeah i think it's SCART, okay
okay now turn on the system
awesome while you got up the stupid cat sat in your chair, so either toss a bottle cap so she chases it or just forcibly evict her
that's not the right game, who even plays Sneak King really
sort through the drawer of controllers
okay now you've spilled a spot of whiskey on the disc, clean that too
should be good wait fucksake cat stay on the sofa or something jesus

and boom, ready to go - couldn't be simpler (assuming you didn't change your mind about panzer orta at this point and decide to shit man let's just play sneak king, in which case you repeat the last few steps)
You mean you don't have a printout of your setup showing you the correct inputs and settings for each console? I don't know what I expected from a cat owner...

IrishNinja

I don't know what I expected from a cat owner...

cat(s), it's just the other one waits till i'm seated
and nah, i now have about 20 systems hooked up to a plasma & receiver (neither of which are mine) adjacent to a trinotron that is. a lotta different wires/settings but i assure you, next time around when ive one room for classic stuff and the modern setting in the living room, it'll be a bit simpler

prolly have more animals too

Logitech Harmony remote. I bought the Elite one like a month ago, and it's sweet, cuz I set it up so that I can just push a button and it sets everything up for my retro shit. It wasn't even that easy back in the '90s when I didn't have any fancy gear.
I have an old one. They are amazing. I'm probably due for an upgrade, hell the battery on mine dies after I leave it undocked after 5 or 6 hours.

Kawika

This is my current Retro part of my set up. Modern stuff is to the right. I did replace my BVM with a PVM 20L5 as I stated before.

20170318_171111.jpg

The Framemeister (or ossc) sends the hdmi signal to the 4K TV. Basically, Its a way to have my retro set up without getting in the way our home office.

I am probably going to tear our the closet and put something like this in and keep it on casters so I can easily manage the cables in the back and slide it back in. Obviously, I am going to put shelving and what not back in the closet but this will be the only modular piece.

3yAPb1rl.jpg

I wanted my retro consoles to be on display but also functional.

https://imgur.com/a/j967F

DAMN! I think that may be the absolute best setup I've seen with retro and modern living together in harmony! Very well done sir!

Keep the setup pictures coming! I've had all my retro gaming stuff packed and put in storage since april but as of tonight my house is sold! I can't wait to move and finally have my dream gaming setup so I need to see pictures of everyone setups for inspiration!

catabarez

I have an older Harmony remote that just won't turn off the Framemeister. I think the signal it sends isn't long enough to actually shut it off.

Yawnny

Seeing all those retro setups I always wonder if people can hear the (legendary) 15Khz humm on their sets.

Ever since I got my PVM a year ago I ask people if they just put up with the high pitch noise or if they don't hear it at all... If they tell me they put up with it then I feel better about having to put up with it.. Some say they don't hear the sound at all then I feel like I want to buy another PVM just to see if it doesn't emit that sound... I feel like I'll be rolling that dice for a while.. and this probably won't be my last post in this thread about that humm.. but it helps me cope. I digress.

In other retro news: Bob from Retro RGB has a badass rant about the handful of crappy modwork that people in the community have ended up with.. The rant/psa is in the first 15 minutes and I highly recommend people watch.. It got me pumped up!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's about time Bob aired this type of rant. I always love it when people are called out on their bullshit.

Peltz

Seeing all those retro setups I always wonder if people can hear the (legendary) 15Khz humm on their sets.

Ever since I got my PVM a year ago I ask people if they just put up with the high pitch noise or if they don't hear it at all... If they tell me they put up with it then I feel better about having to put up with it.. Some say they don't hear the sound at all then I feel like I want to buy another PVM just to see if it doesn't emit that sound... I feel like I'll be rolling that dice for a while.. and this probably won't be my last post in this thread about that humm.. but it helps me cope. I digress.

In other retro news: Bob from Retro RGB has a badass rant about the handful of crappy modwork that people in the community have ended up with.. The rant/psa is in the first 15 minutes and I highly recommend people watch.. It got me pumped up!

My PVM 20L5 is much quieter than my PVM 20M2U. But I can hear both. Oddly enough, when the PVM 20L5 displays 480p or higher, the hum goes away.

Peltz

I spent a lot of time and thought on my retro setup. Getting the GSCART switch was great. I also have all my retro stuff on one surge protector that I just flip off when I'm not playing. Both of those were huge improvements.

I keep my HDMI systems separate from my retro consoles. They are under my desk next to my PC and I have an hdmi switcher that they all connect to which runs to my TV. I did this for space and because those are all wireless controllers so I don't need them near the tv. I also have my receiver in kind of a weird spot in between the PC/Desk area and my TV...but it's functional and aesthetically pleasing.

I wanted my retro consoles to be on display but also functional.

https://imgur.com/a/j967F

Quick question, what shelves are you using for all of your games? I like how each is just tall enough to fit the carts/cases. I also like how this one is wall mounted by the window rather than sitting on the floor:

FZgjkdz_d.jpg

Yawnny

I'm on the hunt for a brand new SNES controller. I haven't been having luck with used and I'm fine with spending extra cash to get that brand new feel. I want to start speed running Yoshi's Island on my PVM and my mushy controllers just aren't going to cut it. I crave responsiveness!

I remember back in the day when I got a SNES for christmas (what a great day) I also received a SuperPad which was branded as an Official Super Nintendo Controller but developed by InterAct.

From what I recall the controller felt fantastic. All the buttons were convex akin to the Super Famicom controller. The controller buttons were also colored to mimic the Super Famicom controler.

The SuperPad controller is a bit cheaper on Ebay.. my other option would be grab a Super Famicom controller (which are a bit more expensive, but not as expensive as a brand new NA Controller)..

Does anyone remember if the SNES SuperPad was indeed a good quality controller?

For Reference:
super-nintendo-snes-superpad-controller-in-box-vg-tested-cib-28e4a97b0091bb24e9d076e296544599.jpg

I'll +1 on the idea to just get a Super Famicom controller. You're not exactly guaranteed a good result but used stuff in general in Japan is much higher quality than what you'd get in US/Canada, and I've never ended up with a bad controller from Japan.

Most of the time they are immaculate, like I got a Genesis 6-button controller a while back, took it apart to clean it and didn't come back with a spec of crud; it was incredible.

I got one of those NTT Data Super Famicom controllers from Japan a while back.

gWYxaqM.jpg

Gathered, I was buying it for the Analog NT Mini, which is the main reason to pick one up at this point since you can use the buttons for Colecovision et al.

However, it works perfectly as has every single Famicom and Super Famicom controller I've ever bought from Japan. I buy them from there and use them with extension cables (or sometimes, replace the cable internally with a longer one).

Yawnny

Good stuff, sounds like I'll be getting a Super Famicom controller then.

I'll be playing fairly close to my 13" PVM so the short cable shouldn't be an issue yet. As people have mentioned there's always the possibility of replacing the cable.

Appreciate the input guys

I got one of those NTT Data Super Famicom controllers from Japan a while back.

gWYxaqM.jpg

Gathered, I was buying it for the Analog NT Mini, which is the main reason to pick one up at this point since you can use the buttons for Colecovision et al.

However, it works perfectly as has every single Famicom and Super Famicom controller I've ever bought from Japan. I buy them from there and use them with extension cables (or sometimes, replace the cable internally with a longer one).

Is that the seller's photo or do you have tatami in your house?

Is that the seller's photo or do you have tatami in your house?

Not my photo. :) Not the one I bought but condition is comparable.

Whenever I buy a used 16 or 32 bit controller from Asia I always take it apart and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a soft pencil eraser. Much of the time it looks like someone already has!

Bottom line is Asian collectors generally take good care of their stuff.

Psxdad

How easy to use is the OSSC? One thing that I don't like about the XRGB Mini is setting up and changing profiles when switching systems. I wish it was easier for someone not familiar with my setup to come in play a game.

I don’t know how many times I’ve gotten things at a discount because there was damage that only a Japanese person could see.

So much this! Ive looked at so many Japanese listings that mark the condition as "fair" or "5/10" and it looks great. The same listing from an American seller would be " MINT CIB SMOKE FREE"

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have an older Harmony remote that just won't turn off the Framemeister. I think the signal it sends isn't long enough to actually shut it off.
Yeah on my Harmony Hub you have to program it to long press on power down.

ULTRA RARE ONE OF A KIND "TIMMY" SUPER MARIO BROS

This version of Super Mario Bros has "Timmy" written on it. One of a kind. Came directly from my uncle who used to work at Nintendo.

televator

ULTRA RARE ONE OF A KIND "TIMMY" SUPER MARIO BROS

This version of Super Mario Bros has "Timmy" written on it. One of a kind. Came directly from my uncle who used to work at Nintendo.

OMG! Super Merio for the Nintendo?! Only 2 people I know have that. That is mega ultra rare.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm on the hunt for a brand new SNES controller. I haven't been having luck with used and I'm fine with spending extra cash to get that brand new feel. I want to start speed running Yoshi's Island on my PVM and my mushy controllers just aren't going to cut it. I crave responsiveness!

Why not swap the internals with one of the SNES classic versions?

Yawnny

Why not swap the internals with one of the SNES classic versions?

I've considered this.. You're saying swapping internals for the sake of a longer cable or even the directional pad, etc..?

I just ordered up what I saw to be the best looking used SNES Famicom pad (to my eyes) on Ebay. Should be here by the end of the month. Looking forward to it!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
No, swapping the internals and putting the SNES cord (to hook into real SNES) on the new SNES mini controller. I haven't tried it, but I'd assume it works.

DAMN! I think that may be the absolute best setup I've seen with retro and modern living together in harmony! Very well done sir!
Thank you sir.

Quick question, what shelves are you using for all of your games? I like how each is just tall enough to fit the carts/cases. I also like how this one is wall mounted by the window rather than sitting on the floor:
The shelves by the window were from ikea besta line but they don't make the 7'' media shelves anymore. Huge bummer because I would have bought more. They weren't inherently wall mountable I just installed them that way. The other rail based shelves are from the container store. They are way overpriced but I couldn't find anything else that met my needs. They were elfa easy hang LINK I've got my eyes open for other white wall mountable shallow shelving but haven't seen any. My future plans are to build my own or just buy a bunch of the elfa easy hang.

Peltz

Thank you sir.

The shelves by the window were from ikea besta line but they don't make the 7'' media shelves anymore. Huge bummer because I would have bought more. They weren't inherently wall mountable I just installed them that way. The other rail based shelves are from the container store. They are way overpriced but I couldn't find anything else that met my needs. They were elfa easy hang LINK I've got my eyes open for other white wall mountable shallow shelving but haven't seen any. My future plans are to build my own or just buy a bunch of the elfa easy hang.

Thanks!

So I ordered an OSSC 1.6 with the latest batch and was wondering what cables I need to hook up my ps2 (for ps2+ps1 games) and a GameCube?

I already have a component cable for the ps2 so I figure that'll work well but unsure what to get for my PAL GameCube. I'm assuming an rgb cable of some kind. Would an rgb cable for the GameCube also work with a pal SNES?

I've considered this.. You're saying swapping internals for the sake of a longer cable or even the directional pad, etc..?

I just ordered up what I saw to be the best looking used SNES Famicom pad (to my eyes) on Ebay. Should be here by the end of the month. Looking forward to it!

No, swapping the internals and putting the SNES cord (to hook into real SNES) on the new SNES mini controller. I haven't tried it, but I'd assume it works.

By internals he's talking about swapping the membrane over. Ive done this with my 8bit do Snes controllers only I went the opposite way. I swapped in some worn membrane because brand new was too stiff for me. I got used to mushy pads lol.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

I have automatic bandridge SCART switches (the big 5 way ones). I'm noticing that my PVM is displaying some artifacts. It says 12VDC on the back of the switch, and the power cable says it outputs 12V. I am also converting it to NA using this little plastic thing - could it be that? Would the NA converter actually matter?

EDIT: Nevermind, FUCK yes! My SNES and Genesis are fine. The power cable, converter and switch are fine as well. It was just my SCART cable.

Luckily I had two Scart to Scart cables. One of them was from a UK electronics retailer, and now I know it's trash. The one that works is from Retro Gaming Cables. Not seeing any artifacts at all now.

So i got an RGB (JP21) cable for my SFC today and it's pretty awesome! But i had a strange issue earlier. First game i tried was Yoshi's Island and i got no picture only sound, until i adjusted the Framemeister's Sync Level from 9 to 16. Played a few more games no problem then i put Super SF2 in. It's all fine until i get to the character select screen and the picture starts shaking (vertically). Get into a fight and it's normal again. Win/Loss screen is shaky, as is the car bonus round. I adjusted Sync Level again and when i set it to 9, everything's perfect... but i don't get it, that's the setting that was displaying no picture at all for Yoshi's Island! Anyone experienced similar?

So i got an RGB (JP21) cable for my SFC today and it's pretty awesome! But i had a strange issue earlier. First game i tried was Yoshi's Island and i got no picture only sound, until i adjusted the Framemeister's Sync Level from 9 to 16. Played a few more games no problem then i put Super SF2 in. It's all fine until i get to the character select screen and the picture starts shaking (vertically). Get into a fight and it's normal again. Win/Loss screen is shaky, as is the car bonus round. I adjusted Sync Level again and when i set it to 9, everything's perfect... but i don't get it, that's the setting that was displaying no picture at all for Yoshi's Island! Anyone experienced similar?

It might be because the Super Nintendo/Famicom is inconsistent with RGB and you have one of the poor ones.

Yeah i'm actually a dope, the reason Sync Level 9 started working was cause i'd switched to my newer Super Famicom whereas i was testing on my older one earlier in the day. The new one runs everything fine at 9 whereas the old one needs 16 or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom