• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

Or maybe they don't see the console as the main path for their future. I mean, if I were Nintendo, lowering the console side of things as a priority seems like a pretty obvious thing to do. It'd almost be a surprise if it were a traditional console. Most of their fanbase has moved to 3DS/portable, and they need to defend that market as much as possible without a console detracting from their shelf space or marketing.

A portable without a console to complement would clash with the WSJ report of the SDK's impressive graphics. But see my edit. I wouldn't be surprised if their console ends up being something very non-traditional. They obviously need to try something different than what they've been doing with Wii U.

Maybe for North America, but Japan could get away with the NX Handheld coming this year. Most of what we're getting now on the 3DS have been out in Japan for a good long while.
In Japan, they've still got Pokemon, Dragon Quest XI, and Yokai Watch 3. Three major franchises. But this is all very hard to speculate on without knowing if the NX HH will be BC w/ 3DS or if games are going cross-gen. But we have hints that the handheld is dropping this year too, in the IHS report that 3"-5" LCD's are expected to sell more this year. They may want to sell NX as a set to early adopters. They know their hardcore fans are willing to shell out big bucks.

joecanada

i don't necessarily want it to be right though - not that I want nx to fail, i'm just enthusiastic about how well the Ps4 has been selling thus far and would think it'd be a shame if it just stopped out of the blue.

to my point though, how do we know nintendo won't come out with another wii? and i don't mean another motion sensing based console, but another craze in the industry that wins everybody over?

we don't know Nintendo won't come up with another Wii, but at this point that was an anomaly, Nintendo sales have struggled outside the wii for "generations".... so them having to rely on a huge successful innovation is not good news. it's just as likely they won't sell another wii. (outside of their handholds of course which seem to be top favorites).

its equally likely PSVR lights on fire and buries any hope NX ever had. however we just don't know.

What I do know is that ever since Nintendo announced QOL stuff I have had zero idea how they think they can compete with other huge corporations who specialize in this industry already with GPS enabled tracking, HR sensors, calorie tracking, barcode scanning, etc.... I have been in that industry forever and I just don't see it. But you never know. that's why we love it.

Neoxon

In Japan, they've still got Pokemon, Dragon Quest XI, and Yokai Watch 3. Three major franchises. But this is all very hard to speculate on without knowing if the NX HH will be BC w/ 3DS or if games are going cross-gen. But we have hints that the handheld is dropping this year too, in the IHS report that 3"-5" LCD's are expected to sell more this year. They may want to sell NX as a set to early adopters. They know their hardcore fans are willing to shell out big bucks.
Game Freak is known to stay on older platforms later than most & DQXI is NX-bound (albeit with a different version). The only X-Factor is Yokai Watch 3, which I have my doubts for since it's out this summer in Japan.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
lol no.

Zelda U and Maybe Smash (if its not a new game) will be it. Atleast for awhile. Nintendo isn't the type of company to do ports/remakes often. WiiU only got two (both Zelda games) and 3DS got Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Xenoblade, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Five games across five years.

Anyone who thinks Nintendo will port most WiiU games are insane. Besides Zelda U and possibly Smash, I'd expect only one random WiiU game in a few years like Bayonetta 2 or something.

I think if we use recent history alone, there will be a good amount of enhanced ports brought over to the NX. Look at the following list, I'm definitely missing some first-party published ports, this list shows a range of 3-8 ports per gen. Now consider the Wii U, where Nintendo produced some of their most expensive games for the smallest audience. Look how many GameCube games they ported to the Wii.

Game Boy Color - Super Mario Bros., DX
Game Boy Color - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Game Boy Color - Donkey Kong Country

Game Boy Advance - Donkey Kong Country
Game Boy Advance - Donkey Kong Country 2
Game Boy Advance - Donkey Kong Country 3
Game Boy Advance - Super Mario Advance
Game Boy Advance - Super Mario Advance 2
Game Boy Advance - Super Mario Advance 3
Game Boy Advance - Super Mario Advance 4
Game Boy Advance - The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past DX
Game Boy Advance - Mother 1+2 Collection

GameCube - Animal Forest +
GameCube - Doshin The Giant
GameCube - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
GameCube - The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition

Wii - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess * (dual release)
Wii - New Play Control! Chibi Robo
Wii - New Play Control! Pikmin
Wii - New Play Conrtol! Pikmin 2
Wii - New Play Control! Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Wii - New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
Wii - Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wii - Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition

Wii U - Bayonetta
Wii U - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
WIi U - Wii Sports Club
Wii U - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

Nintendo DS - Super Mario 64 DS
Nintendo DS - Ridge Racer DS
Nintendo DS - Diddy Kong Racing DS
Nintendo DS - Game & Watch Collection

Nintendo 3DS - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Nintendo 3DS - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Nintendo 3DS - Star Fox 64 3D
Nintendo 3DS - Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

New Nintendo 3DS - XenoBlade Chronicles

Jackano

I think if we use recent history alone, there will be a good amount of enhanced ports brought over to the NX. Look at the following list, I'm definitely missing some first-party published ports, this list shows a range of 3-8 ports per gen. Now consider the Wii U, where Nintendo produced some of their most expensive games for the smallest audience. Look how many GameCube games they ported to the Wii.
Thanks for the list effort.

I will add, HD ports are very much of the current era, they were less a thing before, outside making old games available on handheld.

And at some point during the next 5-6 years, Skyward Sword HD should be a thing. It's the next, and last to remake.

Rodin

But we have hints that the handheld is dropping this year too, in the IHS report that 3"-5" LCD's are expected to sell more this year. They may want to sell NX as a set to early adopters. They know their hardcore fans are willing to shell out big bucks.
1) Those screen could be for the new home controller
2) If the handheld launches early 2017 like trev's source hinted at, they'll still need to sell those screen in 2016 because production will likely start at the end of the year

That being said, a bundle could still happen when the handheld comes out.

Game Freak is known to stay on older platforms later than most & DQXI is NX-bound (albeit with a different version). The only X-Factor is Yokai Watch 3, which I have my doubts for since it's out this summer in Japan.
They did that with the 3DS because it was bc with the DS. There's a good chance that NX won't be bc with the 3DS (i doubt they'll use Pica again), so Nintendo may push for a Sun/Moon cross-gen release to help the 3DS have its last great Christmas and a giant title for the new handheld launch.

Yeah, i think Zelda, Smash and one between Mario Maker and Splatoon (with the other one coming out in launch window/first year) will be there D1. Other games could follow, but these are very likely to happen and early in the cycle.

LOL GAF is gonna have a meltdown when they hear that 2017 release date. Maybe.. :)

I'd be very surprised at this point, given the piles of evidence for it happening this year and the lack of evidence to the contrary beyond gut feelings and appeals to decade-old patterns, but eh. It is what it is. There'll be more than enough keeping me going on 3DS and my other platforms to keep me out of mischief. :)

Neoxon

They did that with the 3DS because it was bc with the DS. There's a good chance that NX won't be bc with the 3DS (i doubt they'll use Pica again), so Nintendo may push for a Sun/Moon cross-gen release to help the 3DS have its last great Christmas and a giant title for the new handheld launch.
I still doubt that a cross-gen release for Sun/Moon will happen, otherwise Trev's source would have explicitly mentioned it like he/she did for Zelda U.

Vena

I remember 6 years ago when people swore that BW was going to get a 3DS port

Hence my doubt for the idea of a cross-gen release for Sun/Moon. Game Freak hasn't shown that kind of initiative in the past & have mostly gone to the beat of their own drum.

You did not need to port BW to the 3DS to get it to run. Pleading to history is a false premise here because the scenarios are likely rather divergent.

Neoxon

You did not need to port BW to the 3DS to get it to run. Pleading to history is a false premise here because the scenarios are likely rather divergent.
There's still the fact that Trev's source never mentioned a cross-gen Sun/Moon, something that he/she should know about given the fact that he/she knew about Zelda U being a cross-gen release. I'd be greatly, & pleasantly, surprised if Sun/Moon followed in Zelda U's footsteps.

I remember 6 years ago when people swore that BW was going to get a 3DS port

It might be a slightly different situation than that, depending on whether the NX offers backwards compatibility or not.

I'm not saying it's likely, by any means, but it's not necessarily the same.

There's still the fact that Trev's source never mentioned a cross-gen Sun/Moon, something that he/she should know about given the fact that he/she knew about Zelda U being a cross-gen release. I'd be greatly, & pleasantly, surprised if Sun/Moon followed in Zelda U's footsteps.

It's not like his source went into any significant detail about the NX and its lineup, in fairness, unless you think that it's going to launch with JUST a Zelda port. I wouldn't take the absence of any NX software from that particular leak as proof of anything.

Let's not forget that we're apparently getting a Smash Bros. port, which is also nowhere in Trev's leaks.

You don't even know NX won't have BC, it's only an assumption. I could see maybe a third version or sequel going to NX, but I wouldn't say with any certainty that SM themselves being ported will happen.

Neoxon

It's not like his source went into any significant detail about the NX and its lineup, in fairness, unless you think that it's going to launch with JUST a Zelda port. I wouldn't take the absence of any NX software from that particular leak as proof of anything.

Let's not forget that we're apparently getting a Smash Bros. port, which is also nowhere in Trev's leaks.
My point was solely for NX Platform ports of Wii U & 3DS games, but you do have a fair point about Smash getting a port. Either way, we have little-to-no reason to believe that we'll get a Sun/Moon port for the NX Platform given how Game Freak operated in the past.

From my understanding the GPU calls on the 3DS are managed by the OS not directly by the game, so changing GPU vendors shouldn't cause any compatibility problems with the NX, but this is Nintendo we're talking about so you can never be sure...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

There are two major reasons reasons why a Pokemon Sun / Moon port or cross-gen release won't happen, and even why it's not necessary. 1) Pokemon and the 3DS user base do extremely well. The games are going to combine multi-million sells in Japan alone. This is not going to happen for Zelda Wii U, and it hasn't happened for Smash Bros Wii U. Obviously the Wii U is a fraction of the user base the 3DS is, so its exclusive games never come close to reaching any potential. 2) GameFreak makes Pokemon games on a mass assembly line, if they weren't making Pokemon games, Nintendo and TPC would have no interest in them. It's totally different from Nintendo's premiere development teams who often have to juggle IPs.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The article says Foxconn isn't doing very good in Q1, but is expected to improve in Q2 (new iphone 4inch, new china phones etc) and will get even better in the later half of the year (iphone 7,Nintendo NX).

Nothin much

It's gonna launch in 2016.

As for people saying nothing points to a 2017 release for the console...here we go,

1. No nintendo console has EVER launched based on the original estimate or rumor. The N64 was supposed to launch in 1995. The GC was supposed to launch in 2000. When nintendo first announced the revolution they said they intended to relase it before the comeptition. Wii was last to launch.

3DS was announced for 2011 in 2010, released in early 2011.
Wii U was announced for 2012 in 2011, released in 2012.

2. Iwata said that he wanted WiiU owners to feel like they got their money's worth before moving on to NX. Making sure WiiU has a full 5 year cycle would help insure that.

That's marketing bullshit that they say until their new platform comes out, every single time. It hasn't actually happened for any home platform since SNES.

3. Sales of WiiU games like Splatoon suprised NIntendo and they may now think they can hold off the NX console a bit longer than they previously thought. WiiU isn't selling that well but their 1st party software is.

You're right, it totally makes sense that they'd announce NX as being a core pillar of their plan for profitability in the next fiscal year (Mar 2016-2017) when in fact they're not going to release NX during that time. In the meantime, they'd try to prolong Wii U by greenlighting new products that won't be able to contribute to their bottom line until at least 2017 anyway.

4. They were still looking for a lead on their gpu as late as mid 2014. By comparison the wiiu gpu started it's development in late 2008. WiiU launched in 2012.

You don't know what that position was actually responsible for.

5. They believe the NX has the potential to do Wii numbers so they may want to wait until they have the amount of units they initially planned and launch in 2017.

Wii achieved Wii numbers despite early launch shortages.

6. A handheld is mor of a sure thing for them profitwise and they need to post huge profits in the next fiscal year.

Handhelds are dead in both of their biggest markets.

7. Ubisoft hasn't leaked the specs yet.

How many Nintendo console specs has Ubisoft leaked in the past?

8. People are saying there is no way Nintendo would have a drought this long before a new system...I would like to point to the year before the GC ansd the year before WiiU... It is typical for NIntendo to have a dry nearly full year before a new console. You guys know this.

That would place the NX launch at this year.

LOL GAF is gonna have a meltdown when they hear that 2017 release date. Maybe.. :)

Just a heads up. It's typically considered better etiquette to reply to the people who take the time to comment on your posts rather than just "LOL GAF." ;)

That being said, I don't think anyone would be surprised with such a move from Nintendo at this point. But if neither form factor releases this year, it would likely be from a delay and not in their original plans.

ika

April at the earliest

They were pretty damn firm about the Fiscal Year transition
Yes, I understand that but I feel like they're playing with us a bit. I mean...

-Last year: Iwata "we'll talk about NX next year (2016)".
-Now it's 2016: Kimishima "oh, well... we'll talk about NX next fiscal year, starting April".

I can see it happening:

-April begins: Kimishima "etoooo... We are doing FY earnings meeting at the end of this month or beginning May. We'll talk about NX then. Please understand".
-Earnings Meeting: Kimishima "So E3 starts in just a few weeks. Please look forward to our Digital Event for NX announcement".

/pessimistic post

The way leaks have been happening, they're going to want to say something within the next couple of months or they risk losing control of the NX messaging. That was disastrous for Wii U and they know that. Hence, the tight NDAs this time around. Still, bewilderingly, some people apparently can't help themselves but talk.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yes, I understand that but I feel like they're playing with us a bit. I mean...

-Last year: Iwata "we'll talk about NX next year (2016)".
-Now it's 2016: Kimishima "oh, well... we'll talk about NX next fiscal year, starting April".

I can see it happening:

-April begins: Kimishima "etoooo... We are doing FY earnings meeting at the end of this month or beginning May. We'll talk about NX then. Please understand".
-Earnings Meeting: Kimishima "So E3 starts in just a few weeks. Please look forward to our Digital Event for NX announcement".

/pessimistic post

Iwata didn't say which part of 2016. It could be late 2016 and Iwata is still right.

Its not Nintendo's fault here that you are misleading yourself with your personal assumption.

Trojan

Am I the only one that thinks it will be a massive mistake for Nintendo to release the NX so early (2016)? I know Nintendo has been internally preparing games for it, but clearly there will be a dearth of 3rd party support if they don't give devs enough lead time. It's going to be a very tough sell to make a case to buy an NX over a PS4 or X1 this holiday, based on the amount of games available and online functionality (speculative).

If I'm a Nintendo stockholder, I'm probably pounding the table to release NX soon to make up for the lagging Wii-U/3DS sales, but this whole thing seems so rushed in context of a console cycle.

Holidays 2016 is a release time window where PS4/XBox demand will be peaking. They need this thing to come strong out of the gate and that requires getting the 3rd party in order. You can't release in middle of a console cycle without a steady stream of content, and Nintendo themselves can only provide so much of that.

Not trying to hate, I just have this sinking feeling that this will not end well for Nintendo.

Am I the only one that thinks it will be a massive mistake for Nintendo to release the NX so early (2016)? I know Nintendo has been internally preparing games for it, but clearly there will be a dearth of 3rd party support if they don't give devs enough lead time. It's going to be a very tough sell to make a case to buy an NX over a PS4 or X1 this holiday, based on the amount of games available and online functionality (speculative).

I don't think that's going to change in 2017. PS4 and XBO show no signs of slowing when it comes to game releases, and I'm thinking 2017 will be a huge year, possibly the year of GTAVI or whatever Take-Two decides to do with that franchise. Doesn't exactly make the NX an easier sell.

antonz

2016 is the ideal time for them in a very narrow window. The console will in all likelihood be within the Power margins ox XBO/PS4 so a catch up system in that regard. I am expect $299-$350 at maximum leaning closer to the $299.

That lets them launch a comparable device for a comparable price and if they play nice with the apparent overtures 3rd parties are offering they can get support beyond their own efforts.
We know for a fact that dev kits have been going out for at least 6 months now. Maybe some studios are still not in on the loop but we also know many major ones are. Support will be there if the Studios want it there.

Its up to Nintendo to launch a competitive device that can say buy me and encourage people too. If they miss this fall the negatives begin to stack up quite a bit more.

Luigiv

any rumors on NX name? i will like to see a troll website for the supposedly console name.

Nope, we won't get anything until Nintendo's ready to announce it. Right now the only people who actually know what the final name is (assuming they've even locked it in yet) would all be in upper management or executive positions. We're not going to get a leak from that kind of source.

Bowl0l

Nope, we won't get anything until Nintendo's ready to announce it. Right now the only people who actually know what the final name is (assuming they've even locked it in yet) would all be in upper management or executive positions. We're not going to get a leak from that kind of source.
Is there a pattern on how Nintendo names their console? e.g. DS (Dual Screen).
Do they cross check for potential bad spins of the name? There was a contest called: "Hold your Wee for a Wii".

Orayn

I still have a hard time believing we'll get both portable and console NX by the end of the year. Still expecting one *OR* the other this year, probably portable first.

Then again, it might not be that simple if the hybrid/shared software library speculation winds up having some truth to it.

ika

Iwata didn't say which part of 2016. It could be late 2016 and Iwata is still right.

Its not Nintendo's fault here that you are misleading yourself with your personal assumption.

Nop. Usually Nintendo clearly states "no news until next E3" for new consoles or games so they don't give fans false expectative. Because of that, Iwata saying "2016" (knowing how they do significant Nintendo Directs before E3 every year in the recent memory) can reasonably point to some details earlier in the year. Also, that was the general consensus in this forum since last year, until last Kimisima declarations almost two months ago. So, please, don't play the "personal wishes" card :)

BTW, my post was a tongue-in-cheek comment, mostly...

Luigiv

Is there a pattern on how Nintendo names their console? e.g. DS (Dual Screen).
Do they cross check for potential bad spins of the name? There was a contest called: "Hold your Wee for a Wii".

Well the DS is an interesting one because DS was originally just a code name that they got attached too and decided to keep. I wouldn't read too deeply into it for typical Nintendo patterns. Of course there is definitely an obvious pattern if you look at they're last few systems (3DS, Wii U, New 3DS) but since the NX is being positioned as a fresh start, I don't think they'll be continuing down those lines.

Yeah they'll definitely check the names to make sure that they're expectable in each major region. Upper management in NoA, NoE and other regional branches will definitely be consulted before they publicly unveil the name. Kyoto definitely would have known about the Wii - Wee connection before hand but I guess they decided it was benign enough that it didn't outweigh the strengths of the name.

The point I'm trying to get at anyway is that this sort of thing is only shared on a need to know basis, specifically in order to prevent leaks.

Neoxon

I still have a hard time believing we'll get both portable and console NX by the end of the year. Still expecting one *OR* the other this year, probably portable first.

Then again, it might not be that simple if the hybrid/shared software library speculation winds up having some truth to it.
If Trev's source is to be believed (namely the schedule aspects), we may get the console first & the handheld later.

Top Bottom