• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant: From The Ashes |OT| Bit Challenging? Then It's Souls-Like!

tragic

Developer
Tried playing some more and got to the Hive boss. Then I put off the game, and went to play something else.

There is no way this is balanced for solo play. 90% of the fight is continuously killing the same 4 adds that respawn in seconds.

Let me know when there's a patch for this shit.

We balanced it for solo normal and solo hard before we did any tuning for co-op.

Edit: The Hive boss is only mechanically hard, but once you learn it, it's probably the most consistently easy boss in the game.

Last edited:

Arozay

Beat it on solo hard, never touching it again. It ended up being a weird mass up of Borderlands and Dark Souls without the pro's of either. Loot distribution was meh and exploration was unfulfilling due to the former + randomly generated levels aren't interesting in comparison to something actually designed.

The last boss constantly facing the wrong direction was the icing on the cake. It wasn't hard, just that you spawn inside his gouch on phase transition and are at risk of insta-gib (1 shot = hard) due to it.

Hardest boss in the game was ammo count. Oh, and ENDLESS ADDS.

Visually the game is great though, but just fell flat with what it was trying to do for me.

GK_Gats

We balanced it for solo normal and solo hard before we did any tuning for co-op.

Edit: The Hive boss is only mechanically hard, but once you learn it, it's probably the most consistently easy boss in the game.

Hello tragic, first of all congrats and thanks for the game i love it.
I read that DLSS support was planned. Is it coming soon?

Great to see a dev around here.

Going to be playing later today. It looks great.

Laymen gaming posted a very positive review on youtube today.

Lanrutcon

What mechanics? I'm genuinely asking. The fight was: shoot at boss, kill adds, take a few shots at boss, kill adds, take a few shots at boss, kill adds, etc. This continues until you time a reload badly, run out of ammo or get surrounded. Then you do it all again because there's no-one to pick you up. 90% of my time in that fight was dealing with the spawns. Is there a single boss fight in the game that isn't arena + infinite adds? like, just one? Just for a bit of variety? I liked the Dragon boss. The Dragon boss had almost no adds. I could actually stop and look at the boss, figure out his moves, aim my shots, etc. That was fun. I'd like more of that. Having the actual boss be the focus of the boss fight. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

tragic

Developer
The last boss constantly facing the wrong direction was the icing on the cake. It wasn't hard, just that you spawn inside his gouch on phase transition and are at risk of insta-gib (1 shot = hard) due to it.

Hardest boss in the game was ammo count. Oh, and ENDLESS ADDS.

Were you using Swarm to break the boss open? That's a bug that is being worked on.

Also, for ammo, did you not use ammo boxes? They are the "sharpening stone" (MHW) of Remnant.

What mechanics? I'm genuinely asking. The fight was: shoot at boss, kill adds, take a few shots at boss, kill adds, take a few shots at boss, kill adds, etc. This continues until you time a reload badly, run out of ammo or get surrounded. Then you do it all again because there's no-one to pick you up. 90% of my time in that fight was dealing with the spawns. Is there a single boss fight in the game that isn't arena + infinite adds? like, just one? Just for a bit of variety? I liked the Dragon boss. The Dragon boss had almost no adds. I could actually stop and look at the boss, figure out his moves, aim my shots, etc. That was fun. I'd like more of that. Having the actual boss be the focus of the boss fight. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

Jim clearly only played city and then stopped to do his review. Then he played more and commented below that the game actually got good. Clearly posted it for the clicks.

"Time a reload badly" so you are saying... user error? I'm genuinely asking. Why not reload when behind the big wall. Why not do it when the boss summons? Why not after a swipe? Or a hive shot (of which you can press reload then dodge)?

Arozay

Were you using Swarm to break the boss open? That's a bug that is being worked on.

Also, for ammo, did you not use ammo boxes? They are the "sharpening stone" (MHW) of Remnant.
Yeah I was using swarm.

Ammo boxes are nice and all, but shouldn't be mandatory (on bosses). It'd be like if your weapon broke in dark souls after 5 swings (since ranged is the main build).

Pretty much mandatory on Ixillus because there was no way to get ammo during that fight... which was actually a good fight since you weren't getting perpetually fisted by adds.

tragic

Developer
Yeah I was using swarm.

Ammo boxes are nice and all, but shouldn't be mandatory (on bosses). It'd be like if your weapon broke in dark souls after 5 swings (since ranged is the main build).

Pretty much mandatory on Ixillus because there was no way to get ammo during that fight... which was actually a good fight since you weren't getting perpetually fisted by adds.

Swarm is being fixed. Known issue. Should be soon!

Sharpening Stones are mandatory in MHW unless you want to hit the boss for near 0 dmg and bounce off them every swing. They are super cheap. That being said, adds also drop ammo (which is part of the reason we have adds).

Ixillis now has a new way to gain ammo in the fight.

Bombchelle

Neo Member
I just bought and started playing this game yesterday. The gun play is fun and the characters don't look bad. The main issue is that my female character doesn't have a shape to her. Her body and animations are very masculine. I almost decided to play a male character instead.

Lanrutcon

Jim clearly only played city and then stopped to do his review. Then he played more and commented below that the game actually got good. Clearly posted it for the clicks.

"Time a reload badly" so you are saying... user error? I'm genuinely asking. Why not reload when behind the big wall. Why not do it when the boss summons? Why not after a swipe? Or a hive shot (of which you can press reload then dodge)?

Yeah, not one of Jim's better "reviews". He's better at making videos about industry issues. He says the game looks dull, but I think the game's visuals are on point. Especially the chapter 2 and 3 outdoors areas are sublime. Plus I'm a sucker for a good duster.

If I reload too late between adds and another wave spawns I'm in jeopardy. It's just one scenario where I die, really. The point was that I spend so much time between killing infinite adds, dodging projectiles and reloading that I can only devote a small amount of time to the actual boss. The window to actually fire at the boss is minute, resulting in a long drawn out fight where one mistake has you redoing the entire thing. I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the time it takes stuff to respawn could be cut down. In the Hive fight, killing the adds only bought me seconds.

I'm not sure what the mechanics of that fight were, because I could rarely actually fire at the boss. The adds were simply more aggressive, more dangerous and a bigger priority than the boss...in a boss fight.

This game is great and packed with secrets. Congrats to Tragic (bonus for also showing up during Aris stream) and the rest of the team.

Also Jimquisition analysis was BAD. He said the game was all grey and red but he didn't even pass the City area. Nice job bud....

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

tragic

Developer
Yeah, not one of Jim's better "reviews". He's better at making videos about industry issues. He says the game looks dull, but I think the game's visuals are on point. Especially the chapter 2 and 3 outdoors areas are sublime. Plus I'm a sucker for a good duster.

If I reload too late between adds and another wave spawns I'm in jeopardy. It's just one scenario where I die, really. The point was that I spend so much time between killing infinite adds, dodging projectiles and reloading that I can only devote a small amount of time to the actual boss. The window to actually fire at the boss is minute, resulting in a long drawn out fight where one mistake has you redoing the entire thing. I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the time it takes stuff to respawn could be cut down. In the Hive fight, killing the adds only bought me seconds.

I'm not sure what the mechanics of that fight were, because I could rarely actually fire at the boss. The adds were simply more aggressive, more dangerous and a bigger priority than the boss...in a boss fight.

Fair enough. Definitely takes practice to know when to reload. You can definitely get yourself into trouble!

This game is great and packed with secrets. Congrats to Tragic (bonus for also showing up during Aris stream) and the rest of the team.

Also Jimquisition analysis was BAD. He said the game was all grey and red but he didn't even pass the City area. Nice job bud....

Thanks!

Here's another fun vid.

Kenpachii

PLays shooters with controllers, says already enough.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
PS4 just had a minor update of 600 MB which is causing almost constant hard crashes for me even after restarting several time. Does not indicate my save is corrupted.

Edit: I see tragic, one of the devs is in this thread. The error on PS4 has a code of (CE-34878-0) if that helps. Happens right after loading in from my save and traveling to last checkpoint.

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
The PS4 Update 1.03 I think is even giving me hard crashes on a new game now. Seems the update broke something and not just corrupting saves.

WAB gave it a pretty good review:

I might pick it up if some of my friends are interested in playing it, but definitely would have preferred at least 4 player coop. The shootings mechanics look solid, unfortunately you can't switch to a first person perspective. The randomly generated levels are an interesting feature and good coop shooters are kinda rare these days.

I'll certainly try to get some friends on board, gotta support a game where the developer is actually engaging with the community here on GAF.
So, kudos tragic tragic and thanks for stopping by to keep us informed.

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I agree strange headache strange headache about supporting the Devs! They have been very accessible and vocal about their vision and open to criticism/suggestions. In addition, and in spite of some minor hiccups, I really love this game. It is the most fun I have had with a game this year and look forward to more DLC and hopefully more of this game in the future.

tragic

Developer
PS4 PRO users. Change your resolution to 1080p from 4k. This will be rectified tomorrow for full 4K gaming. Give it a try and let me know if it works. Very sorry for the bluescreens.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
PS4 PRO users. Change your resolution to 1080p from 4k. This will be rectified tomorrow for full 4K gaming. Give it a try and let me know if it works. Very sorry for the bluescreens.

Seems like PS4Pro is good at 1080P with the update, as long as I start from a new game. My old save still has the crashing issue so may be corrupted or something.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
In the unlikely event anyone is unsure, you change the resolution from outside the game on the PS4 home screen under settings-screen and sound-- then change output from 4k to 1080p. HDR can stay on auto.

GK_Gats

Looks like you missed my question, can you tell us when DLSS is coming ?

Freeman76

tragic tragic , bought the game last night and will try it out today. I did it partly because of your communication with the community here. Will post impressions later this evening.
I am going to do the same, this looks good and I have faith in this Tragic dude and his team. Its refreshing to see someone who engages with the players and also doesnt pander to them to sell more copies of their game by trying to appeal to people who arent their target audience. You have my business mate.

I skipped every line of dialogue so far. It took me a while to reach the real gameplay.
Environments are kind of bland. I like the gunplay, enemy design and sound.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there ever any ability or item that improves your positional awareness? I feel like I'm constantly having enemies spawn behind me while I'm dealing with enemies that just spawned in front of me. Surely the devs didn't intend you to be whacked from behind while being caught unawares constantly, right?

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Is there ever any ability or item that improves your positional awareness? I feel like I'm constantly having enemies spawn behind me while I'm dealing with enemies that just spawned in front of me. Surely the devs didn't intend you to be whacked from behind while being caught unawares constantly, right?

I have not seen a trait yet that helps with that, but they may be later in the game. The first weapon mod you get is sort of a radar that highlight enemies through walls and such, but you still need to be aware of some enemies spawning or approaching via other routes behind you in some instances. I can say that after playing for quite a while this is not so much an issue any longer for me as I am now more attuned to having constant movement and listening for some of the sound cues they give off when they emerge, (root enemies) or spawn, magic knife throwing dues behind me. I usually check my 6 every few second and retreat once i see something from behind then move forward again.

Most levels there are maybe two instances when working through the level where I have found this happens, usually around the time one of the mini bosses appear in the level that have to be dealt with.

tldr: No trait that I have seen but the game conditions you to become good at dealing with spawns after playing awhile in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! I must say, however, that for a game that expects you to constantly be moving, the movement speed sure does feel sluggish. Especially that momentary "pause" after you finish a roll.

EekTheKat

Did my part of sorts, got a couple people interested in playing this and they bought their own copies and are enjoying it.

Still could not get Heart of a Dragon trophy to pop however, but did see that people started registering completion of the trophy. I did a test run where I reset the world and another where I deleted the world save file and both were not able to trigger it. I suspect I need to start over from scratch to get that one done properly.

Inviusx

Hadn't heard of the game before this thread, very nice to see one of the devs in here communicating with players as a human and not a corporate PR robot. I will pick it up on PS4 Pro soon.

Seems to be getting some positive buzz at the moment, was a good idea to launch in August instead of getting buried later this year.

Barsinister

Banned
I’ve been playing for about six hours now. Solo the whole time. I am not big on shooters, but I am having a pretty good time overall. I like the when the character dies the respawn is almost instant. That helps with the “Just one more try” attitude.

I have been through two whole what I guess are called “dungeons” and beat a boss. It probably took twenty or so tries to finally take it down. It had a vicious as a descriptor and fired explosive arrows all over the room and then teleport. I picked a mid-range character and had a hard time closing the gap between us before his vanished to the other side of the room.

I work through games slowly so it may be a while before I make any more progress. But it is holding my interest pretty well. The story, from what I can gather, has a Lovecraftian vibe. That is good.

Great job, developers. This game feels like a labor of love. I look forward to whatever you produce next!

zenspider

I am enamored with the enemy design, but was disappointed to see it looks like a loot shooter Destiny clone. This thread is the first I've heard of Souls-like elements. Do I have the wrong impression?

Barsinister

Banned
I am enamored with the enemy design, but was disappointed to see it looks like a loot shooter Destiny clone. This thread is the first I've heard of Souls-like elements. Do I have the wrong impression?

Mix Resident Evil five with a souls like experience. Add in a bit of Binding of Isaac and I think that is a good description.

Kagero

i Think this is going to be the beginning of a seriously successful franchise. There’s something really good here. Despite all the jank, there’s a very fun gameplay loop here. The gunplay is super sharp as well. I actually wanted From software to make a souls game with an emphasis on gunplay. These guys beat them to it lol.

Barsinister

Banned
I'm in the subway area. I go slowly trying to clear out the baddies as I progress. My rifle can take out the weaker enemies with one shot. Always look behind, the harder enemies can spawn right on my back. Then some glowing headed screamer comes out of nowhere and out comes what must be 10-15 minions right out of the ground. I'm surrounded and dead in less than a minute. I think I need some backup! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I'm in the subway area. I go slowly trying to clear out the baddies as I progress. My rifle can take out the weaker enemies with one shot. Always look behind, the harder enemies can spawn right on my back. Then some glowing headed screamer comes out of nowhere and out comes what must be 10-15 minions right out of the ground. I'm surrounded and dead in less than a minute. I think I need some backup! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

When that happens I am glad I put extra into my endurance trait, cause I just sprint back to the last doorway or something where I can get some distance then work forward. In the beginning I was getting wrecked and dizzy from spinning around so much watching my rear LOL. Great game which I really am enjoying.

I like to slowly progress through the level, souls style. I dislike being ambushed by enemies spawning behind my back. So far i think this game is not challenging. It's cheap.

Barsinister

Banned
I have like five different traits. One makes the enemies less aware of my presence. I have been putting points into that. Sprinting would have been the better option.

I like to slowly progress through the level, souls style. I dislike being ambushed by enemies spawning behind my back. So far i think this game is not challenging. It's cheap.

It never surprises me anymore. Just listen for the high pitched bell sound, that means that a harder enemy is spawning.

Last edited:
I have like five different traits. One makes the enemies less aware of my presence. I have been putting points into that. Sprinting would have been the better option.

It never surprises me anymore. Just listen for the high pitched bell sound, that means that a harder enemy is spawning.

Yeah, i think it's just a matter of "git gud".

me and 2 buddies grabbed this on PC, then binged it for like 4 hours yesterday.

really liking it!

Just bought it but man the graphics feel like PS3.

on PC at least, that is true but only in the cut scenes where they do close ups on the character models. that is one of the weaker areas of the game, graphically. when you are playing through the levels it looks great IMO

i'm playing at 3440x1440 with most things at medium, getting an average of over 100 fps

I have mixed feelings of enjoyment and annoyance. I like the overall gameplay but i hate the boss encounters. Constant add respawn. Being shot from everywhere. Annoying status effects. I know it's meant to force you to keep moving but holy crap. It's too much sometimes.

The other issue i have with this game is coop balance. My main weapon is a shotgun. Get close, do great damage. High risk, high reward. But when playing coop it's more like get close, shoot, shoot, shoot, get fucked. I understand why it's like this but i don't like it.
In destiny playing coop doesn't feel like suddenly every enemy is a bullet sponge. My hand cannon will one shot any red bar enemy.

G-Bus

Banned
What I don't understand is the levels have regenerated.. how did this happen? Did I do something wrong?

Everytime you use a checkpoint the enemies respawn, assuming that's what your talking about

The crashes are getting a bit annoying now. 3 times in the last hour or so. On base PS4. Always seems to happen when I'm playing co-op with randoms. Just beat the tree ent and it took 10 minutes to load the next area. Glad I didn't shut it off because I had a hell of a time with that guy and I'm not interested in going through that again so soon.

Still having fun and enjoying the challenge.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played yesterday for 17 hours and a few hours today and im up to the third world. Will take a break for a while due to other games that simply take precedence. I will say that while the game is good, I do feel that the enemies are too strong and too many at times. Also, I wish I could increase the ammo capacity for the guns and be able to sell and/or dismantle weapons/armor. Otherwise, game is good and enjoying it but I do wish it was a little easier on normal difficulty.

Top Bottom