• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake of Saint Seiya (Knight of the Zodiac) serie on NETFLIX announced!

Here's what I know about Saint Saiya

- Everyone I've ever met from Europe likes it
- Everyone I've ever met from Brazil goes fucking bananas for it
- No one I've ever met from North America knows what it is
- The video games were JPN/EU exclusive for decades

Why did it never catch on in North America?

As previously discussed, bad timing and a baaaaaaad dub. I already used this analogy, but it basically suffered the same fate that One Piece would go on to have under 4kids, but even worse.

7Th

It came too late and too censored. It was also pretty popular in Latin American countries like Mexico.

Platy

LOL

JPN/EU/BRAZIL ! Those games received brazilian dub !

There are lots of posts trying to answer your question on this same thread.

General consensus is "EUA got after dragon ball in a butchered version, everyone else got uncensored years before dragon ball or any major shonen"

edit : more beaten than Unicorn's Jabu

Slaythe

It's a tv show from 86 that only aired by 2003 in the USA. It was also heavily censored, but I'd guess the time gap by itself pretty much killed Saint Seiya's chances there.

The censorship was half of the problem.

They basically treated like DBZ. And before you dare to claim American DBZ was "the best", it's still an extreme lack of respect for the original. (before Kai and stuff)

So they changed the characters origins, the dialogues, removed the gorgeous orchestral pieces and put some shitty electro music over it, all while censoring the hell out of it.

Add bad programmation and it's a recipe for disaster. One Piece knows all about it.

Needless to say it didn't catch on.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

~One third of NA really likes it tho?

Slayven

I think it was just timing, if ti was brought over a little earlier I sure it would have built a following.

PSqueak

Banned

It was too violent for tv (despite it being HUUUUGE in mexico, it was widely criticized for its violent content) so i can see how american networks would refuse, it didn't help that it came out before shows like Dragon Ball caused the anime explosion in the USA (while in LatAm the anime boom was already going strong and would just get stronger when DragonBall started airing).

I would recommend people to watch it, every character gets their backstory fully explained in detail. However, people would nitpick Seiya to no end lol

It was too violent for tv (despite it being HUUUUGE in mexico, it was widely criticized for its violent content) so i can see how american networks would refuse, it didn't help that it came out before shows like Dragon Ball caused the anime explosion in the USA (while in LatAm the anime boom was already going strong and would just get stronger when DragonBall started airing).

True, talking about brutality and violence DBZ doesn't hold a candle to Saint Seiya.

Actually the violent content is a bit of a point. The video earlier has a dude outright lose his ear. Yeah Goku gets killed early on in Z but it's not really quite so graphic.

North America missed out big.

Hmm if there will only be 12 episodes. They might just rush through each Gold Saint fight which I wouldn't mind tbh.

Also I would love an updated God Cloth for Seiya but its too early. Maybe Hades arc remake.

I went wiki walking once on this show and learned there are tiers of clothes and like 20210201 characters with their own armor and specialties. I respect that, DBZ beam spamming gets old quick.

That's what I enjoyed from the series, seeing different enemies with unique abilities. Reminds me a bit of Jojo or Hunter x Hunter with their Ne rules.

I swear there was a Knight who could use his hair as a weapon, anyone remember something like that?

Another cool song Saint Seiya - OST III - 04 - Athena's Love I really enjoy the voice.

Actually the violent content is a bit of a point. The video earlier has a dude outright lose his ear. Yeah Goku gets killed early on in Z but it's not really quite so graphic.

I mean when someone literally loses all their senses and is walking corpse getting trashed/bleeding all over the place.. Bruh ;_;

Hmm if there will only be 12 episodes. They might just rush through each Gold Saint fight which I wouldn't mind tbh.

Also I would love an updated God Cloth for Seiya but its too early. Maybe Hades arc remake.

It's just gonna cover the tourney all the way to the silver saint.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
tumblr_mmid1cVL2r1rfbdu4o1_500.gif

Wasnt he the first to die in the Asgard and Hades arcs?

EDIT: also discovered that Seiji Yokoyama died earlier this month, R.I.P. a true legend.

Red Devil

Maybe if this is succesful enough they'll avoid Asgard this time...

Looking forward to this, once every couple of years I marathon the original series DVDs I guess I might postpone it this year..

Not just Brazil, South America as a whole, I think Mexico too.

Wasnt he the first to die in the Asgard and Hades arcs?

He didn't die in Asgard.

Santiako

As like everyone around my age (30) who grew up in latam, this is THE defining cartoon of my childhood. I'm quite excited for this.

Mael

Nah, promotions have been confirmed for a while. Dohko was originally a Bronze Saint.

They're shown in 1 episode in the original show and could pass off as filler content (not part of the manga after all).
Otherwise it's fucking Next Dimension.

keuja

This was even more popular than dragon Ball at the time. The settings was so creative.
It doesn't surprise me that most in the US don't know it... Americans caught on so late on the whole manga craze. I mean DBZ (not even DB) only started being broadcasted in the US when the series was already over in most countries so almost 10 years later than Japan and Europe.

Unai

They're shown in 1 episode in the original show and could pass off as filler content (not part of the manga after all).
Otherwise it's fucking Next Dimension.

Next Dimension is canon no matter whether you like it or not, though.

I mean when someone literally loses all their senses and is walking corpse getting trashed/bleeding all over the place.. Bruh ;_;

It's just gonna cover the tourney all the way to the silver saint.

Oh thats lame. Wonder if they will be more faithful to the manga with the black bronze knights if they have them. Seiya vs Shiryu better be epic like it was back then.

Less moments between Shun and Hyoga too. I swear girls loved the show just for those 2 lol.

I think Saint Seiya deserves a LTTP shame lots of people haven't seen it.

Consider that in 11 years there are only 80 manga chapters and many of those are like 8-10 pages.

So yeah...not for a long time.
Waited 10 years for FFXV shouldn't be bad.
Oh thats lame. Wonder if they will be more faithful to the manga with the black bronze knights if they have them. Seiya vs Shiryu better be epic like it was back then.

Less moments between Shun and Hyoga too. I swear girls loved the show just for those 2 lol.
Yeah, at least we'll get the Seiya vs Shiryu fight doubt we'll get Ikki being a dick stealing the Sagittarius cloth. At best it's a re-imagining.

I think Saint Seiya deserves a LTTP shame lots of people haven't seen it.

Waited 10 years for FFXV shouldn't be bad.

Yeah, at least we'll get the Seiya vs Shiryu fight doubt we'll get Ikki being a dick stealing the Sagittarius cloth. At best it's a re-imagining.

Still makes me so sad how Lost Canvas is stuck in limbo. It was so high quality and better than Kurumada's Lost Dimension imo. Need my season 3 Netflix!

Soul Beat

So hyped! Who cares if it's CG. I'm always happy for some more Saint Seiya!

And now it's time for an unpopular opinion! This is one of the GOAT Saint Seiya Openings!

Yes it is, but not that much.

Now, a series that is not only more famous but almost just known here is Dotto! KONI-Chan

i3x7Hih.jpg

(by "here" i mean LatAm)
I don't remember that, but I do remember the anime adaptation of Heidi. "¡Abuelito dime tu!" pops into my head whenever I think of anime and Latin America.

Basically all of Latin America, not just Brazil, and Romance language speaking European countries (Spain, Italy, and especially France).

I get now why it never was a thing in the US but for some reason it never caught on in other English speaking countries like the U.K., Canada or Australia either.
Pretty much. Mexico's in NA too.

I get now why it never was a thing in the US but for some reason it never caught on in other English speaking countries like the U.K., Canada or Australia either.
It never aired in Australia to the best of my knowledge. I imagine it was due to the violence, but SBS did bring us Evangelion, but that was years later.

My cousin did track down a copy of the original series on DVD, but it was censored (blue blood) and something was off about the script. Also, it's jarring to hear the characters speaking English or Japanese if you got to know them through the Spanish dub. We never got through it all.

Ratrat

I don't remember that, but I do remember the anime adaptation of Heidi. "¡Abuelito dime tu!" pops into my head whenever I think of anime and Latin America.
Thats one of most popular anime ever. Miyazaki and Takahata worked on it.

America clearly has inferior taste compared to the rest of the world.

Zee-Row

Banned
As previously discussed, bad timing and a baaaaaaad dub. I already used this analogy, but it basically suffered the same fate that One Piece would go on to have under 4kids, but even worse.

It's weird because there was a faithful ADV Films dub of Saint Seiya but Cartoon Network had a crappy dub made by DIC.

For anyone bitching about Saint Seiya. Just remember that the Sanctuary arc is the inspiration for Bleach's Soul Society arc and One Piece's Enis Lobby arc.

There might have been something before Saint Seiya but it would be beyond gens lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think most of my Mexican friends are Californian Mexicans, so I guess maybe they didn't get whichever Mexican channels it aired on. So it's literally just Canada and America that didn't like the show? Hahaha.

bigosc2k

Banned
I think most of my Mexican friends are Californian Mexicans, so I guess maybe they didn't get whichever Mexican channels it aired on. So it's literally just Canada and America that didn't like the show? Hahaha.
I was lucky my parents sent me and my bro to Mexico when school was out for the summer, got to watch it in all it's glory, I remember how pissed I was when it got curbed for the 96 Olympics.

Top Bottom