• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relayer PS5 Upgrade Will Be Free

kingfey

Banned
Never heard of it. They probably need the extra money out of this.

its a pc game, geared for PlayStation. This game will sell very well on pc. I have no idea, why they made it exclusive for PlayStation.

JLB

Banned
To those complaining that Returnal is a stupid name (and let's be frank, it is, but at least I've grown accustomed to it by now) - a challenger appears!

Still not close to the king of the videogame dumb names, Horizon Zero Dawn (whatever thing it is).
Gears of Wars is no far from these guys also.

nowhat

Horizon Zero Dawn (whatever thing it is)
If you play the game, Zero Dawn makes perfect sense. Horizon on the other hand... it's just a cool word, the studio says as much in some interviews.

(whether it actually is a cool word is debatable)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
its a pc game, geared for PlayStation
I agree that it would be nice to see releases in other platforms but I don’t understand what makes it “PC game”? There have been plenty of SRPG on consoles and handhelds.

Aenima

its a pc game, geared for PlayStation. This game will sell very well on pc. I have no idea, why they made it exclusive for PlayStation.
Didnt Sony aquired a small share of Kadokawa? Probably to bring exclusives like this to PS consoles.

To those complaining that Returnal is a stupid name (and let's be frank, it is, but at least I've grown accustomed to it by now) - a challenger appears!
...well, this name has a story :
6vZ8OkV.jpg

plus, en français, c'est un verbe d'usage courant

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I agree that it would be nice to see releases in other platforms but I don’t understand what makes it “PC game”? There have been plenty of SRPG on consoles and handhelds.
"The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has first information on Relayer, the newly announced “new age space opera” strategy RPG from Kadokawa Games for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4".

Strategy games perform very well on pc. You kinda need mouse and keyboard. And most console players dont like these type of games.

kingfey

Banned
Didnt Sony aquired a small share of Kadokawa? Probably to bring exclusives like this to PS consoles.
Its a japanese studio. They will 100% put their games on playstation. Its either switch, or playstation. Atlus had a hard time putting their games on steam. Playstation didnt need to buy shares from the company, to get exclusive games.

nowhat

...well, this name has a story :
6vZ8OkV.jpg

plus, en français, c'est un verbe d'usage courant
I appreciate the reply, but Yes has never been my thing (King Crimson all the way from that time period) and I've forgot most of my high school French by now. But I guess it makes sense then :)

Aenima

Its a japanese studio. They will 100% put their games on playstation. Its either switch, or playstation. Atlus had a hard time putting their games on steam. Playstation didnt need to buy shares from the company, to get exclusive games.
Then aparently you DO have an idea why they made the game PS exclusive.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Kadokawa Games operates very much independently from Kadokawa, so that's unlikely. The deal with Sony was made by Kadokawa likely in order to bring some of its manga IPs to PlayStation.

Besides Relayer, Kadokawa Games has more games coming to the Switch and PC as well, including Metal Saga: Hangyaku No Rouka which has been announced only for Switch so far and Metal Dogs only on PC.

Their policy with platforms is pretty simple, they let their devs decide depending on what they want to do and what they feel is better for the game at any given time, so they dabble here and there.

If you're wondering how I know, I've interviewed them several times, including recently on Relayer (for which they said they're very much dedicated to PS5 and PS4 for now), and know them and their CEO rather well.

They're good people and put a lot of effort into their games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Games like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics worked pretty well on consoles and handhelds without mouse and keyboard.
I was thinking of StarCraft. Since the game mentions space, strategy. That is why I said PC. Unless the combat is like those games. Then it can work on consoles.

Danjin44

I was thinking of StarCraft. Since the game mentions space, strategy. That is why I said PC. Unless the combat is like those games. Then it can work on consoles.
I never played StarCraft so maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t that game considered “RTS” rather than SRPG?

Danjin44

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I never played StarCraft so maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t that game considered “RTS” rather than SRPG?
yeah, its real time strategy game. I tried digging some info, and found this.

"While the Famitsu preview doesn’t mention it, the official Twitter account specifies that the game is being developed by the God Wars team. The original God Wars released for the PS Vita and PlayStation 4 in June 2017 as God Wars: Future Past. An expanded version, titled God Wars: The Complete Legend, launched for Nintendo Switch about a year later in September 2018".

Here is the link

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
yeah, its real time strategy game. I tried digging some info, and found this.

"While the Famitsu preview doesn’t mention it, the official Twitter account specifies that the game is being developed by the God Wars team. The original God Wars released for the PS Vita and PlayStation 4 in June 2017 as God Wars: Future Past. An expanded version, titled God Wars: The Complete Legend, launched for Nintendo Switch about a year later in September 2018".

No need for Twitter. It is the God Wars team, and the director and producer is Yoshimi Yasuda, the director and producer of God Wars and also the CEO of Kadokawa Games himself.

It's 100% a hardcore turn-based strategy JRPG with upwards of 100 hours of content. Think Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea in space with mecha.

Incidentally, God Wars was very good and super deep. Its biggest flaw is that it looked very dated. Relayer looks a lot better.

You can read more in my interview here.

I'm quite sure it's the only one given to a western media outlet so far.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
First time I hear about it. Where do they come up with these hidden games?
It’s Japan. The language barrier by itself would hinder a lot of gems from being found. I would say the same if you’re in Japan trying to find hidden gems in the west.

The only reason most of us heard it in the first place is it’s backed by Kadokawa and marketed well in their youtube channel. Also because some journalists managed to highlight this game which I appreciate.

ranmafan

Very happy for the free upgrades for people who will want them (especially with many games in Japan having ¥100 upgrades forced into them by some strange vague law). I’m even more excited by the special edition talk. Loved their God Wars special edition. Very hyped for this one!

Top Bottom