• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 How to upgrade and migrate.

8bitpill

Hello.

I'm about to upgrade our PS5 and wanted to know how to go about it.

I'm looking at this SSD,
https://www.newegg.com/kingspec-4tb-xg-7000-series/p/0D9-000D-00175

Was wondering if that will be a good fit. It's rated for the PS5, but wanted to ask here for someone that is more experienced with these type of upgrades.

Next, how do I go about migrating the current system on my PS5 over to the new SSD.

I'm stepping into the next gen of technology and don't know much past upgrading my Apple Lisa 1983.

tumblr_mkqtnpDYGH1rnwo2vo1_500.gif

SScorpio

I can't comment on the brand, but if the specs are accurate, then it will work.

I'm not a fan of the included heatsink. I recommend something beefier, this will take the existing NVME with the attached heatsink. https://www.newegg.com/glotrends-hs22x70x6-heatsink/p/37B-005F-00013?Item=9SIAMKHGBK2685

I'm running a Nextorage drive which was created by ex-Sony storage engineers and it has a heatsink that fills the PS5's NVME bay, You want a lot of surface area so the air that is blown through the bay can pull as much heat as possible. I'm running heatsinks like I liked in my PC and they do a great job.

There's not much to migrating, make sure you are on a firmware that had support for NVMEs added, and when you power on it will detect the drive and have you confirm you want to format it. Once that completes it will start like normal. If you go into Settings -> Storage you can tell it to default install or PS5 and/or PS4 games to the NVME drive or onboard storage. From the storage section you can also select each individual game and choose to move it to the NVME drive. Both the onboard storage and NVME are used together and launching and playing games should be the same way you've always done it. You'll just have a ton of extra space versus the 666GB of onboard storage.

cormack12

Gold Member
You don't migrate anything, the new SSD will just be additional storage, it doesn't replace the built-in one (you can't remove that).
This.

The PS5 has a hardwired custom SSD where the OS lives. This makes it very easy for you. You can move everything off the internal SSD to the additional M2 if you want, once installed.

Quantum253

Once installed, you can go into the settings and choose whats stored on the system and additional drives (Ps5/Ps4). I tried both and didn't notice a speed difference with the WD SN850 black

Top Bottom