• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aimé: VR gaming destined to remain niche until there is a "must play" experience

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No I recently jumped on the PSVR2 bandwagon, and probably will also pickup a PC VR set eventually too... but even as much as I love it and wish it would I still don't think it's going to replace flat gaming anymore than 3D TVs could replace 2D TVs.
VR is not designed to replace flat-screen tv gaming. Not sure like some people still want to believe that.

Laughs in Half-Life Alyx.

Though tbf, Alyx is probably 10 years ahead of the industry.
Half-Life Alyx was amazing in VR but there's still things that could be improved upon. I wish Melee was more of a thing for instance. There's objects you can pick up in the game and the urge to smack enemies with them was strong but it didn't have real impact.

I don't agree with anyone saying the content isn't there. I mean christ, Facebook got Capcom to make RE4 into a VR game, they are getting GTA San Andreas into a VR game, and not to mention Sony pushing Capcom with RE7 and now RE8......and RE4 Remake.

Content is most definitely there and it's not all indie.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Half-Life Alyx was amazing in VR but there's still things that could be improved upon. I wish Melee was more of a thing for instance. There's objects you can pick up in the game and the urge to smack enemies with them was strong but it didn't have real impact.

I don't agree with anyone saying the content isn't there. I mean christ, Facebook got Capcom to make RE4 into a VR game, they are getting GTA San Andreas into a VR game, and not to mention Sony pushing Capcom with RE7 and now RE8......and RE4 Remake.

Content is most definitely there and it's not all indie.
The thing is VR gaming is mostly a first person view experience. And not all gamers want that, especially confined with a brick on your head.

Even for games that are already first person (let's say COD), given a choice between a gamepad or m/kb, vs. being more immersive with VR goggles being able to look and aim in 360 degrees and holding your arms up shooting a gun and ducking in real life to simulate hiding behind a crate, most people will just play the traditional way.

It's no different than steering wheel set ups. Every racing fan will claim a good steering wheel and pedal set up is way better than playing with analog sticks on a game pad. Yet, how many people who play Gran Turismo, Forza, NFS or even PC sims actually spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a steering wheel set up? Hardly any.

It may technically be more sim feeling and immersive. But most people just want to sit on a couch or gaming chair and play without extra costs and hassles. Even for something like setting it up to have clear vision seems like a hassle according to the chats people had about people putting on VR goggles and ensuring you got it on right (every person's head is different). If you dont get it set up right the screen can be blurry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom