• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Thread 'Rome Sweet Rome' Being Turned Into Feature Film By WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
a man with modern day weapons being sent back in time to do battle is something that everyone has fantasied about. im surprised this movie wasnt made earlier

Hari Seldon

Alpha-Bromega said:
not individually, they'd be on par or in fact most Marines would be far superior to most Hastati/Princepis/Triarri, it'd be the like 600 Centurii per Legion they'd have to worry about.

No way. A Roman 1v1 would kill a Marine without breaking a sweat in melee combat. And of course group melee combat would give the edge to the Romans by an even larger margin. Marines are tough and all but they are trained to use rifles not swords, and they march around in kevlar, not chain mail. Kevlar is terrible against melee weapons.

They can't just shoot them all or else they'll mess up time and Jesus would never die so we would still have sin and stuff! Geez guys, some guy on Reddit isn't going to leave these plot holes in, it's serious stuff.

Chichikov

I'm taking a bold guess here that he's not topping Mark Twain.

They even made into a movie, like 4 times.
Fuck, even the commies adapted it -
LrZYH.jpg

Jonathan Hickman also wrote a very similar story in a comic book called Pax Romana. It's probably a little too cerebral for a Hollywood movie, but it'd probably a lot more interesting than this thing will be.

Monocle

At last: the public will have the opportunity to experience ancient Rome in a context that totally obfuscates its historical significance.

Binabik15

Too bad that Romans weren´t stupid, with a less advanced culture you could pull off the "my boomstick is in fact my godlike powers" trick, making everybody afraid of you. The choppers might help with that, but it´s not like they´d have enough fuel to ride their sky chariots more than a couple of times.

If this movie is made, it should be as ridiculous as possible. Marines show up, try to convince everyone that they´re half-gods, people rebel against their rule, pitched battle with machine guns and assault rifles against waves of soldiers, the few surviving Marines get captured and are forced to fight in gladiatorial combat. But one of them is THE FUCKING ROCK, he wins his freedom in the arena, overthrows the corrupt senate and becomes Caesar.

A bald eagle is shown with a single tear running down his cheek during the credits.

Altazor

Binabik15 said:
Too bad that Romans weren´t stupid, with a less advanced culture you could pull off the "my boomstick is in fact my godlike powers" trick, making everybody afraid of you. The choppers might help with that, but it´s not like they´d have enough fuel to ride their sky chariots more than a couple of times.

If this movie is made, it should be as ridiculous as possible. Marines show up, try to convince everyone that they´re half-gods, people rebel against their rule, pitched battle with machine guns and assault rifles against waves of soldiers, the few surviving Marines get captured and are forced to fight in gladiatorial combat. But one of them is THE FUCKING ROCK, he wins his freedom in the arena, overthrows the corrupt senate and becomes Caesar.

A bald eagle is shown with a single tear running down his cheek during the credits.

that fucking killed me :lol :lol :lol

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Binabik15 said:

I'd watch it.

shuri

Banned
The storyline is not inspired from the pc/xbox360 game DARKEST OF DAYS that came out 2 years ago.

Darkest-of-Days-RomanPwnin.jpg

darkestofdays.jpg

darkest-of-days-screenshot-2.jpg

At all.

edit: i know the second screenshot is in the wrong time period. Basically you are a marine sent into various important events of humanity, and you use a mix of ancient weapons and modern guns to 'fix' history.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I hope one of the action hero 'stars' actually says "Rome sweet Rome" before opening fire in the movie. Because I would assume thats the entire point. And obviously worth 30-40 million or whatever the fuck amount of money crazy people will pour into this.

51GGPBPTATL._SS500_.jpg

Awesome book

Can history be changed?

Can the south still win the War Between the States?

Colonel McColloch thinks so...and his gold, his gun, and some very special blueprints stand behind him to help him prove it.

Sargeant Harmon is a black man who hopes not...and only his readiness, ingenuity, and wit stand behind him to help him stop it.

In the corridors of contemporary Washington and on the fields where Civil War battles have yet to be fought, these two men take each other on--and the winner will determine the course of history....

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
shuri said:
The storyline is not inspired from the pc/xbox360 game DARKEST OF DAYS that came out 2 years ago

Plus you PUNCHED A HORSE! Which made the game instantly awesome.

EmCeeGramr said:
A bunch of Marines warp into Roman times...

...and within a day are out of ammo and killed.

Exactly what I thought, its not as one sided as everyone is making it out to be, this could be very interesting.

On a physiological level, how long do you think you could survive in a world devoid of all the comforts we are used to.

Even a freaking shower was a luxury reserved only to the richest back in the Roman era.

Hari Seldon

shuri said:
The storyline is not inspired from the pc/xbox360 game DARKEST OF DAYS that came out 2 years ago.

Is that game any good? Seems kind of a cool premise for a game.

Edit: Metacritic is terrible damn.

Hari Seldon

zephervack said:
Exactly what I thought, its not as one sided as everyone is making it out to be, this could be very interesting.

On a physiological level, how long do you think you could survive in a world devoid of all the comforts we are used to.

Even a freaking shower was a luxury reserved only to the richest back in the Roman era.

Exactly. Soldiers from the year 0 were hard in a way that does not exist in modern times. They would be like aliens. I mean the idea of sacking a city and NOT raping and pillaging wouldn't even be considered.

andycapps

Can't find a full size picture, but a fight on this scale could be epic. Unfortunately it would all be CGI and wouldn't be 20k people in a field like this was.

approach.jpg

Chris R

Seriously don't get the hate. The film is going to be a pure popcorn summer action flick, what exactly is wrong with those again?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Would love to see the Byzantine Empire utilised in a swords and sandals epic. There's been far too much attention lavished on the Western Empire over the years.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sounds like a lot of Gaffers are jealous.

Don't worry, you guys will get your own movie some day.

No you won't.

Cyrillus

Man, when I first clicked in this thread and saw the pic in the OP, I thought it was going to be some alternative history thing where the Roman empire never fell, and was a superpower today. I was intrigued at least.

...After reading the full OP, I am disappoint. :(

harSon

Banned
shadyspace said:
Is that seriously all he wrote? It's like 7 seven paragraphs.

Treatments and even loglines have been sold to studios, this isn't really out of the ordinary outside of the fact that it was derived from reddit.

akira28

I came up with a story like that...hell I'm always coming up with stories like that. So Fucking random.

Really WB?

Edmond Dantès said:
Would love to see the Byzantine Empire utilised in a swords and sandals epic. There's been far too much attention lavished on the Western Empire over the years.
Nah man, the Roman Empire fell apart over night and then nobody did anything Roman any more and then the Middle Ages started up in Europe until people suddenly remembered stuff in the Renaissance. I mean, Western Europe was clearly the center of the world during that time period, and nothing was going on there, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom