• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what are the chance of Wii Sports to become a big hit ?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It definitely is. This game is going to generate hype and excitement to casual/non-gamer maket with a stronger ferocity than Animal Crossing, Nintendogs or Brain Training.

EAD has gone pop. But damn, they have been raking in that money. Japan has been worshipping every single EAD DS game. I think, the Wii is going even stronger by taking the same concepts but bringing out some titles with bigger initial appeal.

Wii Sports and Wii Music are going to be big. Don't forget about Wii Music, Nintendo is going to put just as much marketing behind that one.

artful_dodger said:
Are you kidding me? You don't even move your player around the tennis court. All you do is swing the wiimote when the ball gets near you. Take it from someone who played it at E3, it's not that fun - and I was (and still pretty much am) a fan of the Wii's other games.

Take it from someone who played it at E3, it's really fun when you're more than one player.

Hero

If we listened to the majority at GAF, Animal Crossing wouldn't have been as successful and Nintendogs would've flopped outside of Japan. Oh, and westerners are too stupid to appreciate Brain Training.

FoxHimself said:
Take it from someone who played it at E3, it's really fun when you're more than one player.
This is great news for Michaels Keaton.
multiplicity.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Speevy said:
Wii Fencing would be nice. Also Wii Archery.

As a fencer, Wii fencing would only work if there was some way to make you FEEL parries and beat-blades.

But Wii sports and archery sound great.

Polari

Amir0x said:
I didn't realize that either, but seems that is true. Yeah, that's pretty terrible. I knew these games were stripped beyond all recognition and association with "fun", but that is... yikes. Really trying to appeal to the retard set with that one

I'm pretty sure I read that controlling your player with the analog stick is going to be an option.

Hero said:
If we listened to the majority at GAF, Animal Crossing wouldn't have been as successful and Nintendogs would've flopped outside of Japan. Oh, and westerners are too stupid to appreciate Brain Training.

Keep in mind, I walked into that booth after seeing the super sweet press conference Wii promotional video of people doing diving racquet saves with wiimote in hand. Yet when I played it, I stood there and swung wiimote in the same place, with the same repetitive movement, over and over again and easily won the match. It was disappointing, and I didn't feel like it lived up to my expectations. (It actually felt like that ping pong game that they sell at the kiosks at the mall.)

I suppose i could have pantomimed as if I were in an extremely intense and heated tennis match but it simply was not.

I think "Wii Sports" is going to be a pretty broad line of games ... like Wii Sports Vol. 1, Wii Sports Vol.2, etc. etc. etc. that come with different games packed in for say $19.99 or $29.99 a pop. Games like the Duck Hunt demo will probably be incorprated into this line of games. There's also Wii Orchestra/Wii Music.

It'll probably sell a lot at a budget price.

But I don't know if it'll turn into a Nintendogs/Brain Training craze. I don't think streamlined tennis or golf or airplane really appeal to women/adults etc. as much as puppies or brain challenges.

IMO ... Wario Ware Wii I think is going to be the game that really is a big hit with non-gamers as it just seems more like a social game ... you sit around and pass the controller from person to person and participate in funny, short little mini-games with a quirky sense of humor.

That's something I think women and just about anyone will be able smile at while they play.

Wii Karaoke if it's coming could be huge.

bumpkin

Well, if nothing else, it's a clever exhibition of what the Wii's controller can do. I'm not sure how much stock I put into the rumors of it being a pack-in, but based on what we know about it, I highly doubt it could sell as a stand-alone title. What I'd like to see Nintendo do is not only pack it in, but make it a Mario Sports title.

Guess we'll find out for sure on the 24th.

Cheebs

It's a launch game from Nintendo. For no reason other than the fact its out along side the system and its from Nintendo will cause it to break 500k if not a million purely on that basis.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
artful_dodger said:
Keep in mind, I walked into that booth after seeing the super sweet press conference Wii promotional video of people doing diving racquet saves with wiimote in hand. Yet when I played it, I stood there and swung wiimote in the same place, with the same repetitive movement, over and over again and easily won the match. It was disappointing, and I didn't feel like it lived up to my expectations. (It actually felt like that ping pong game that they sell at the kiosks at the mall.)

I suppose i could have pantomimed as if I were in an extremely intense and heated tennis match but it simply was not.

Did you know you could do lobs and put topspin on the ball?

There probably will be several "Wii Compilations" availible at launch or afterwards.

Wii Sports Vol. 1 -- Tennis/Golf/Baseball
Wii Motor Sports -- Airplane/Jet Ski/etc.?
Wii Games -- Duck Hunt/Maze/Air Hockey
Wii Music -- Orchestra/Drums/Band

I think the idea is more to make it like a throwback to the old NES/Famicom line of Golf/Tennis/Baseball/Pinball/Kung-Fu/Ice Hockey/etc.

These will definitely have to be budget priced though.

Personally I would rather have a compilation of like Duck Hunt/Air Hockey/etc. than tennis/golf/baseball. So maybe the idea is to have different versions, and bank on most people buying at least one of them.

sp0rsk said:
Did you know you could do lobs and put topspin on the ball?

I don't think I did any lobs but I tried swinging harder, or slower to control the ball speed and i don't remember it making any kind of difference in my shot. It's hard to describe I guess. My immediate impression was that there was so little input -> response interaction that it felt like a tech demo, or in essence, not a real game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
artful_dodger said:
I don't think I did any lobs but I tried swinging harder, or slower to control the ball speed and i don't remember it making any kind of difference in my shot. It's hard to describe I guess. My immediate impression was that there was so little input -> response interaction that it felt like a tech demo, or in essence, not a real game.
Non game confirmed.

I would hope in the time since E3, Nintendo has added a little more complexity/replay value to the games.

Even though the tennis/pinball/ice hockey etc. games on the NES/Famicom were basic back in the day, they were fun to play over and over again.

Here is my concern with Wii Sports. And actually, it really goes into the Wii in general. What happens when you're 4 sets out of 5 in Wii Tennis, and you are just tired of swinging the remote? What happens at halftime when you're "done" with the whole "snap the ball and throw" motion in Madden? There comes a point where your arm and wrist gets tired. Then what?

I'm not BTW saying the Wii will fail on this, but it's the one concern I have.

ethelred

StingerNLG said:
Here is my concern with Wii Sports. And actually, it really goes into the Wii in general. What happens when you're 4 sets out of 5 in Wii Tennis, and you are just tired of swinging the remote? What happens at halftime when you're "done" with the whole "snap the ball and throw" motion in Madden? There comes a point where your arm and wrist gets tired. Then what?

Not all Wii games will require broad, forceful motions. Many of them will play just fine with small, subtle, precise movements -- the kind you make with a mouse. Elebits, for instance... when I was playing that, compared to that game, I move my hands more when I'm engaged in conversation, or when I'm typing on the keyboard, or when I'm just idly doing nothing at all (tapping and such).

sp0rsk said:
As a male, I am not worried about my wrist getting tired.

:lol Or that, yeah.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
StingerNLG said:

As a male, I am not worried about my wrist getting tired.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
They're packing it in for a reason(if this is confirmed, is it?). It's not a game you pay for. It's just too shallow. But then again people went haywire for tamagotchi DS and IQ test DS and what-not...

All I can say is; I'm looking forward to the backlash into oldschool gaming when I'll be pushing 40.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
soundwave05 said:
Tired wrists is about the last thing you have to worry about at GAF :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if some GAF'ers wrist circumfrence is larger than their forearms...

What sp0rks said

Haveing played backyard Football alot when I was younger and occasional recently, the last thing i'm worried about is getting tired (physically) of waveing around a lightweight controller. You would have to be pretty weak to get tired from this.

Though, I can see this being the case if your playing this Wii game for 8 hours straight. But you would have to be a pretty hardcore Wii Sports gamer to play for 8 hours straight.

ViDnEz

20%

I don't see much potential on Wii Sports. Something comparable to Dance Dance Revolution series for consoles.

AniHawk

If it hits the five o'clock news as NINTENDO'S WACKY INNOVATIVE NEW GAMEPLAY, then 500k sold launch day. :p

The ASM brought in the E3 Nintendo conference today, and the adults were really excited about it (actually, they liked the VC idea first, and then they stuck around to watch the controller).

"How much is it?"
"Probably around 230 bucks"
"That's pretty reasonable."

Good job, MS and Sony. You've made $200+ "reasonable."

I don't know if $230 is "reasonable" just because the 360 and PS3 are more expensive.

No one would say a Honda Civic for $30k is reasonable just because a BMW costs more.

$199.99 at most for the Wii.

No.1

I see it doing very well, actually. The success of titles such as EyeToy and Singstar have really proven that these lifestyle sort of games can attract a lot of gamers. These sorts of games are probably Sony's highest selling franchisers, even despite their being so many of these games released every year.

I think Nintendo have got the right idea with the DS and now the Wii with the whole lifestyle gaming. There are a lot of people out there that aren't going to play your generic FPS on the Xbox because that's not what they're interested in - they aren't going to buy a console for that. They need something that's fun and enjoyable.

Not too sure if Wii Sports will succeed with getting a lot of attention, but I think lifestyle games, as much as I dislike them, are the key to success at the moment.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
aiming for the lowest common denominator doesn't always guarantee financial success, but...

AniHawk

_leech_ said:
Especially considering a 360 is only $70 more (and may be less by the time Wii launches).

No one wants a core pack. Hell, I dont know if they even sell cores anymore. I haven't seen any in over a month.

AniHawk said:
No one wants a core pack. Hell, I dont know if they even sell cores anymore. I haven't seen any in over a month.

Well, if someone's going to consider a $230 Wii why would they ignore the $299 360 and go straight for the $399 model? I'm as much against the Core pack as everyone else, but it could be pretty effective for Microsoft having it positioned against the Wii.

AniHawk

_leech_ said:
Well, if someone's going to consider a $230 Wii why would they ignore the $299 360 and go straight for the $399 model? I'm as much against the Core pack as everyone else, but it could be pretty effective for Microsoft having it positioned against the Wii.

Look, I don't want to start a whole thing, but the core pack had a chance to become popular with the more mainstream. It didn't.

AniHawk said:
Look, I don't want to start a whole thing, but the core pack had a chance to become popular with the more mainstream. It didn't.

I know it didn't, but once the Wii's released things change a bit. I'm just saying that positioned against the Wii, the Core might become pretty valuable for Microsoft.

AniHawk

_leech_ said:
I know it didn't, but once the Wii's released things change a bit. I'm just saying that positioned against the Wii, the Core might become pretty valuable for Microsoft.

Nah. Not when there's The Better Version™ always readily available.

If I'm going to spend a thousand bucks on an HDTV, I'm gonna spend a little bit more and make sure I get a high end model.

It just won't happen.

Andonuts

Yeah, I think it's going to be a hit. It's an excellent proof of concept -- playing it was an amazing excersize in not having to think about input at all.

It's strange that the IGN preview reports that you can't control your character's movement. In the demo I played at E3, it felt like the way I was leaning (ie moving the controller left and right) had a direct impact on how my character moved, so mush so that after a few rounds it felt like I was strategically controlling the player. I guess it could've been the computer, though.

Also, I'd like to lob a hearty **** you at all the people who are bitching about the wii's "non-games". You people are part of the problem.

FoxHimself said:
I thought it was pretty damn fun single player!

Everyone needs to look at it this way: which part of tennis is more integral, the running or the handling of the racket? This game is about racket control, not moving your character around. I was fully engrossed and didn't realize until later that I hadn't controlled the character at all.

Duderz said:
Airplane and "Wave Race" are supposed to be included in Wii Sports, right?
They hadn't decided on Airplane and the Jetski game hasn't been officially announced iirc.

I'm just hoping that these games don't completely replace the deeper experiences found in Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, etc. I love those games and want new ones with this controller.

Speevy

Banned
You know, they could just make it a first person tennis game. As a matter of fact, I've always wanted to see all sports in first person (even if some would suck)

AniHawk said:
Nah. Not when there's The Better Version™ always readily available.
Especially when two major advantages of the Premium over the Core are wireless controllers and built-in storage; things the Wii has standard. Though of course far less storage than the Premium.

Amir0x

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
Everyone needs to look at it this way: which part of tennis is more integral, the running or the handling of the racket? This game is about racket control, not moving your character around. I was fully engrossed and didn't realize until later that I hadn't controlled the character at all.

Uhm, both are pretty damn integral. A tennis game without that is stupid, pure and simple. But I think that's the whole point of WiiSports - make even retards capable of playing. Which, as I said, is appealing to some subset of individuals. 3,000,000 sold.

Speevy

Banned
Well, most tennis games in history can be won by just pressing one button with the analog stick/D-pad shoved in alternating directions. If the developer does its job, I'd say a Wii tennis game would actually be more difficult.

Top Bottom