• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what are the chance of Wii Sports to become a big hit ?

Juice

It'll probably tie to two-thirds the consoles sold at launch and stay relatively steady there for the first year. It's just going to be the game to own for (1) every core gamer who wants a game to showcase the Wii's coolness to guests and (2) everyone who buys the Wii after seeing its advertisements or spots on CNN, etc, because Wii Sports is going to be the single game that Nintendo will be putting out there to share the philosophy of the damned thing.

For that reason alone, it would have to be a shitty game to not do well.

Andonuts

You know the more I think about it, the more I think that IGN has to be wrong about your character being computer controlled... I remember missing a few shots at E3, and I even remember the booth girl telling me what I had to do to move my character.

But I was also drunk :(

Korranator said:
Realistically, nobody knows.

Agree.

Brain training became a Smash-Hit, but Elektroplankton became a Bomb.

So, what about Wii-Sports ? It depend again if Nintendo will reach the right consumer at the right time.

Futureman

Amir0x said:
Uhm, both are pretty damn integral. A tennis game without that is stupid, pure and simple. But I think that's the whole point of WiiSports - make even retards capable of playing. Which, as I said, is appealing to some subset of individuals. 3,000,000 sold.

I don't even really read the videogame forum too often as I only own a DS, but I have to say. You are without a doubt the most negative person I've ever encountered on the internet. Bitch bitch bitch. Damn.

Amir0x

Banned
Futureman said:
I don't even really read the videogame forum too often as I only own a DS, but I have to say. You are without a doubt the most negative person I've ever encountered on the internet. Bitch bitch bitch. Damn.

i'm positive about many things, just not stupid shit like this. But in the future, I will take into account that you feel I am overly negative, smoke a little weed and become a peace-lovin' hippie when you're around.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Futureman said:
That one goes to Lindsay.

Amir0x said:
Mother 3 is great.

We know that.

(I view Wii Sports as a sort of 'gateway' into the rest of the Nintendo games. Playing it should help me familiarize myself with the style and control of the Wiimote. 'Course, I'm not buying it if it's above 20 USD.)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
It deppens of the marketting campaign.

I see a 400K or 500K at is most, but if they find a way to promote it at an atractive form for everyone...

I'm sure Nintendo is having some headaches with the marketting for the Wii.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Scalemail Ted said:
Am I wrong in presupposing that the Super Monkey Ball Mini-games might be a better sports package than the Wii sports line? :p

We don't know. That's a big marketting problem for them right now. They're calling for simple games... but hey, they must be fun and deep enought...

birdchili

if it's simple to play, but actually has significant depth then it's going to be huge.

if it's just pong with movement precision replaced by timing precision then not so much.

i still think we may see this as a pack-in (along with a second controller).

the lobs, spins/etc... need to be useful in an understandable way, and you need to be able to hone your skills beyond the initial handful of play sessions.

some of the e3 impressions suggested it was difficult to understand how your movements related to where the ball ended up - not a good sign.

ziran

if nintendo deliver's as fun a game as they can with enough depth to keep you going (as they have made so many times) i think wii sports is going to be a big seller.

this whole range of games, where you play as a caricture of yourself, has the potential to be huge. you'll have some of the hardcore dismissing these titles, which is understandable, but imo they'll have a really broad appeal, to the new/returning gamer crowd nintendo is pursuing so strongly and the majority of people currently playing games today.

if there's a game at wii's launch that will cause the mainstream playstation or xbox fans to buy the console, it's wii sports.

stalker

Up to now, we have played a million tennis games where we could move around the court and happily hit the ball pressing one (or more) button. I do think that the fact that we are going to be able for the first time to hit the ball in a completely different way in Wii Sports is enough of an argument to not bitch too much about the whole "you do not control the player's movement".

I do not say that Wii Tennis is going to be the best tennis game ever, or better than the new Virtua or Top Spin; it'll probably be notably worse. But the refreshing underlying concept cannot be denied, can it?

Amir0x said:
Uhm, both are pretty damn integral. A tennis game without that is stupid, pure and simple. But I think that's the whole point of WiiSports - make even retards capable of playing. Which, as I said, is appealing to some subset of individuals. 3,000,000 sold.
Pretty sure I played it at E3 and it was anything but stupid. Like someone mentioned, we've had a bunch of tennis games that have you running around and pressing a button to control the character, maybe it's time we gave the racket some more thought.

Also, it's not as if this limits any other developer from making a tennis game where you control the character. If you're looking for that, you are clearly looking in the wrong place. Wii Sports Tennis makes it accessible to everyone who can move their arm, and that's pretty cool. If you don't want to buy it because you can't move your character, that's cool, but at the end of the day it's still a good, fun game.

Amir0x

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
Pretty sure I played it at E3 and it was anything but stupid. Like someone mentioned, we've had a bunch of tennis games that have you running around and pressing a button to control the racket, maybe it's time we gave the racket some more thought.

Also, it's not as if this limits any other developer from making a tennis game where you control the character. If you're looking for that, you are clearly looking in the wrong place. Wii Sports Tennis makes it accessible to everyone who can move their arm, and that's pretty cool. If you don't want to buy it because you can't move your character, that's cool, but at the end of the day it's still a good, fun game.

It's a very dumb thing. But, yeah, you're absolutely right someone will make one that allows me to do that so I can avoid unfun things like this and wait for that. PLUS Wii Sports isn't for me, it's for people who hate games.

Amir0x said:
It's a very dumb thing. But, yeah, you're absolutely right someone will make one that allows me to do that so I can avoid unfun things like this and wait for that. PLUS Wii Sports isn't for me, it's for people who hate games.
How is it dumb?

Amir0x

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
How is it dumb?

Uhm, because as I just said moving around is extremely important to tennis. If you eliminate that, you strip tennis of one of its most important aspects - which is just toning it down for the retard set. I accept that some people have fun with it, but no I don't buy that "it's about time to focus on the ratchet." You can do both very successful, and apparently the Wii is supposed to make this easier. Stripping one of those away removes an element of depth which is vital to the sport. But, always the path of least resistance for Nintendo lately.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread any further so feel free to PM me. I already said I think Wii Sports will sell 3,000,000, because these type of people need games too. It's a pretty big audience.

Amir0x said:
Uhm, because as I just said moving around is extremely important to tennis. If you eliminate that, you strip tennis of one of its most important aspects - which is just toning it down for the retard set. I accept that someone people have fun with it, but no I don't buy that "it's about time to focus on the ratchet." You can do both very successful, and apparently the Wii is supposed to make this easier. Stripping one of those away removes an element of depth which is vital to the sport. But, always the path of least resistance for Nintendo lately.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread any further. I already said I think Wii Sports will sell 3,000,000, because these type of people need games too. It's a pretty big audience.

Thats why I commented about Xavix Tennis. It goes a similar route, only its more like a first person view. You do NOT control movement in it, only the positioning of the racket .

Andonuts

Amir0x said:
Uhm, because as I just said moving around is extremely important to tennis. If you eliminate that, you strip tennis of one of its most important aspects - which is just toning it down for the retard set. I accept that some people have fun with it, but no I don't buy that "it's about time to focus on the ratchet." You can do both very successful, and apparently the Wii is supposed to make this easier. Stripping one of those away removes an element of depth which is vital to the sport. But, always the path of least resistance for Nintendo lately.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread any further so feel free to PM me. I already said I think Wii Sports will sell 3,000,000, because these type of people need games too. It's a pretty big audience.

You know I don't think anyone would protest if you replaced "casual gamers" with "the retard set".

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
I'm pretty sure it's for anyone...

Amir0x said:

Dude, does the Wii suddenly stop software developers from making tennis games where you can freely move around? No. Wii Sports is something new that Nintendo is doing, it's not an old game that you loved that Nintendo is screwed up some way or the other. And I sincerely doubt it's taking up a lot of resources over at Nintendo. So why are you complaining? People genuinely enjoyed the game at E3. If you want a true tennis game, wait for a third party developer that usually does tennis games to startup on the Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
Mr. TV Goggles said:
If you want a true tennis game, wait for a third party developer that usually does tennis games to startup on the Wii.

Already said I would above. Also, this is a Wii Sports thread... this is the first time I heard about this news about not moving around, which struck me as profoundly stupid. That's all... this thread is not about moving in Wii Tennis though, so like I said that's all. I think Wii Sports will do very well, which I suppose answers the OPs question.

Azazela

Banned
After reading abou how dumbed down it is, I think it'll FLOP. Early adopters aside I don't see people buying it.

I expect that Rockstar sports series to outsell Wiisports.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So Wii Sports basically boils down to timing your swing correctly? Thats all? This basic thing is applied to all the Wii Sports game or just Tennis? If so, then that sucks balls.

Amir0x

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
So Wii Sports basically boils down to timing your swing correctly? Thats all? This basic thing is applied to all the Wii Sports game or just Tennis? If so, then that sucks balls.

you can put spin on the ball and stuff depending on how you hit it. but yeah, that seems the extent at the moment. i imagine, there's still stuff to add for the final package... maybe make it something special after all

Azazela said:
The more I think about this game, and how simple it will be the more I hate :/

Well, don't buy it. There will doubtless be a full tennis game on Wii at some point - whether a future Mario Tennis or a third party tennis title - that will suit you, and everyone else who wants full control of the player's movement.

The Wii Sports range appears to be intended for gamers who want a simple pick up & play party game, as well as a wider audience who might be turned off by a fully-fledged tennis videogame but who would consider picking up the Wii controller and simply swing it to make a movement. Perhaps you'd consider this - to use Amirox's charming phrase - the "retard set", and perhaps that audience isn't as large or as easy to woo as Nintendo hope, but I think it's missing the point a little to hammer this game & the Wii Sports line for targeting them & setting the play mechanics accordingly.

Top Bottom