• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raytracing on the XBOX Series S is impressive | MVG

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So again some RT video about XSS in WD: Legions. Pretty interesting how it runs, honestly it looks like 900p seems pretty "soft", but nonetheless not exactly expected...from my side at least.

Bigger question if we are heading towards the "watery worlds" in this gen, because I don't need shine everywhere, where it does not belong. Seems like the first HDR era as in "over bright".

Sw0pDiller

I am at the point that i would not recognise raytraced refections by itself from some other effects that mimics it. Just like the guy in this video is saying (around 5.30) not know his stuff either. But nice to see a 30/1080p getting these effects. curious to see how the xbox one x holds up to series S footage. it's really not that great that this "next gen" machine is running it's games @1080p while i think current gen consoles will be at the same-isch level.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah, but you are also downloading smaller filesized games. Well at least in some cases.

I think Forza Horizon 4 was about 10gb smaller or so. Its not a huge lot, but it might add up if you have a handful of games installed. The size IS the systems biggest bottleneck I believe, though I also think people overstate this. I could do fine for about 2 years on my PS4 with 400gb before I chucked in 2tb, and next-gen games seem to be smaller here and there. Ofcourse, there is also BC at play. How many games do you want to have installed at the same time?

Rikkori

Bigger question if we are heading towards the "watery worlds" in this gen, because I don't need shine everywhere, where it does not belong. Seems like the first HDR era as in "over bright".
It looks natural at high resolution, the scene looks great - just normal after the rain environment (I mean the way it is set-up). Problem is when you have low res + low q RT + ssr blending it can look pretty bad. Heck, even just turning reflections on ultra can be worse than high here because of the extra noisiness (for SSR).
Remember, we think it's all "water worlds" now because we're not used to have reflectivity at this level, so it immediately stands out while in the real world it just "blends in" and you won't notice. But go out and be observant especially after a rain and you'll immediately realise just how much reflectivity there is in real life.

Trafalgar-Square-in-rain-London.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It looks natural at high resolution, the scene looks great - just normal after the rain environment (I mean the way it is set-up). Problem is when you have low res + low q RT + ssr blending it can look pretty bad. Heck, even just turning reflections on ultra can be worse than high here because of the extra noisiness (for SSR).
Remember, we think it's all "water worlds" now because we're not used to have reflectivity at this level, so it immediately stands out while in the real world it just "blends in" and you won't notice. But go out and be observant especially after a rain and you'll immediately realise just how much reflectivity there is in real life.
Yeah I even sometimes look at some shadow in real life and for a moment think that is some shitty shadow and then it hits me : D I mean yea you are probably right, but the issue I think lays in overly greyish art direction with this game.

Rikkori

Yeah I even sometimes look at some shadow in real life and for a moment think that is some shitty shadow and then it hits me : D I mean yea you are probably right, but the issue I think lays in overly greyish art direction with this game.
Yeah, ngl, ever since I got into RT and display tech I examine everything outside for light, shadows, and black levels & brightness - LOL! :pie_sfwt:

skneogaf

I've seen comments about how bad it looks from obvious fanatics due to it being lower resolution yet your only choice of console had 1440p resolution yet I'm quite confident those games didn't look bad.

Embarrassing as usual, you fanatics really need to try owning both consoles this time as you may end up not being morons in the future.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Looks pretty ass on my 1080p monitor as well.
Because youtube videos look like arse.

Pretty embarrassing posts in here from the usual team. 1080p now looks terrible, but in the other next gen topics we've got people asking for 1080p instead of 4K since 4K is a waste of resources lol.

Hopefully this shows people that the Series S is not the underpowered box that people have tried to make it out to be. Like some of us said, it's just a lower resolution Series X. Can the 4TF PS4 Pro or 6TF XB1X do ray tracing at 1080p, or even at all? Nope.

Also wtf in the video about people complaining that you can't turn it off? lol. Why would you want to turn off ray tracing? It looks better in every way than other reflections and lighting.

Last edited:

Codeblew

Pretty embarrassing posts in here from the usual team. 1080p now looks terrible, but in the other next gen topics we've got people asking for 1080p instead of 4K since 4K is a waste of resources lol.

Hopefully this shows people that the Series S is not the underpowered box that people have tried to make it out to be. Like some of us said, it's just a lower resolution Series X. Can the 4TF PS4 Pro or 6TF XB1X do ray tracing at 1080p, or even at all? Nope.

Also wtf in the video about people complaining that you can't turn it off? lol. Why would you want to turn off ray tracing? It looks better in every way than other reflections and lighting.
Well, what I said wasn't wrong. lol. You don't sound very "fun" to be around.

I've seen comments about how bad it looks from obvious fanatics due to it being lower resolution yet your only choice of console had 1440p resolution yet I'm quite confident those games didn't look bad.

Embarrassing as usual, you fanatics really need to try owning both consoles this time as you may end up not being morons in the future.
Damn bro go easy on them with the facts.

Plantoid

It's easy to bash the series s here, this is a enthusiast gaming forum, we aren't the target audience for this product

I work at sales and I guarantee you that series S will sell a lot, most parents just want something cheap for their kids, most people don't even know what 4k is, let alone RT

Nice that the lower end console has this feature. Neat. Since it's not aimed at 4K TVs this will be pretty useful for 1080p tv owners. RT is a must IMO.

BeardGawd

Banned
I am really impressed with the ray tracing here and it’s even on an open world game. Just goes to show there is no reason why Capcom excluded a ray tracing mode. But with Capcom and Sony being buddy buddy most of the time I guess minimum xbox effort is to be expected Sadly.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
the aesthetic of the game in general makes it difficult to appreciate the quality of RTX. Some games just shouldn't have RTX

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
For casuals that don’t buy into having to have the best of something, this box is gonna be great.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's easy to bash the series s here, this is a enthusiast gaming forum, we aren't the target audience for this product

I work at sales and I guarantee you that series S will sell a lot, most parents just want something cheap for their kids, most people don't even know what 4k is, let alone RT
tbh, I expect some videos to hit YouTube this Christmas where little Johnny had a meltdown because he asked for series x and got a series s instead, kind of like the freakouts when little Mary gets the regular iPhone instead of the pro model

Qaloon

It looks pretty cool, I must admit. I didn't expect to see this tech leveraged like this on the lower-end model. Perhaps we'll see more sophisticated and selective applications in the future when teams become more adept at using the feature.

I want to hear from the X1X can run games better than the XSS crowd. Show me some ray tracing on the X1X. This game is on the X1X it should have ray tracing because it's more powerful right?

FlyyGOD

I want to hear from the X1X can run games better than the XSS crowd. Show me some ray tracing on the X1X. This game is on the X1X it should have ray tracing because it's more powerful right?
Ubisoft has already shown the Series x version with Raytracing.

ZywyPL

Banned

Hypocrisy and double standards are huge components of fanboyism you know.

Can the 4TF PS4 Pro or 6TF XB1X do ray tracing at 1080p, or even at all? Nope.

Just like I said on the other Series S thread, the console is better than all current-gen consoles combined, I really don't see a single reason people with FullHD TV sets should choose 1X/Pro over the XSS.

v_iHuGi

Banned
720/900p no doubt but still Insane, no one would believe in 2018 that a 4TF gpu would do RTX, let alone at 299€.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You know youtube has different quality settings? The DemonSouls videos on youtube do not look blurry.
And the quality of this video is shocking. It’s also never going to be as good as directly plugging in a console. It’s not lossless and it won’t be at the same bitrate.

Top Bottom