• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford Calls Original Claptrap Actor "Bitter And Disgruntled" Amid New Dispute

Helios

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/borderlands-3-ceo-calls-original-claptrap-actor-bi/1100-6466667/
Randy Pitchford, the CEO of developer Gearbox Software, has called out David Eddings, the original voice actor for the franchise's mainstay robot character, Claptrap, as being "bitter and disgruntled" amid news that he won't return for Borderlands 3.
This all started when Eddings himself confirmed on Twitter that he won't reprise his role as Claptrap in Borderlands 3 after the game's big reveal event last week. Eddings said it came down to a matter of payment. Eddings voiced Claptrap, a wise-cracking, sarcastic robot, in all of the previous Borderlands games when he was an employee of Gearbox. He reportedly did not receive a fee beyond his normal salary to do this when he was working at the studio; Gearbox says this kind of arrangement is normal.

Regarding the Claptrap controversy, Pitchford himself commented on Twitter. He said Eddings is "bitter and disgruntled" about his departure from Gearbox. Pitchford said Eddings was terminated but did not discuss the specifics surrounding his departure.
Pitchford added that Gearbox offered Eddings twice the standard union voice actor rate to return for Borderlands 3, but he refused. "I don't want him to do it unless he wants to do it, as motivation affects performance," Pitchford said.Gearbox released a statement regarding the Borderlands 3 Claptrap situation that attempts to clarify the facts. The company clarified that it offers its salaried employees the opportunity to do voice work in its games, but this is never a mandatory responsibility for their job requirements. "In this particular case, now that [Eddings] was no longer an employee, we offered him an industry standard rate, but were not able to reach an agreement," Gearbox said to IGN.
Stepping in for Eddings as Claptrap in Borderlands 3 is Jim Foronda. Gearbox said it is "confident and happy" with Foronda, who previously voiced Mighty Mask in the Dragon Ball Z Kai anime series.

It's not just Eddings who won't return for Borderlands 3. Prolific voice actor Troy Baker isn't coming back to voice Rhys. The character Rhys appeared in Tales from the Borderlands voiced by Baker, but he's new to the mainline series. Baker also called out Pitchford, telling Only Single Player, "I think it's interesting that Randy Pitchford tweeted out that I turned it down and then he said he heard that I turned it down. I would fact-check before I tweet it out to the internet, is all I'm saying."

xrnzaaas

"The company clarified that it offers its salaried employees the opportunity to do voice work in its games, but this is never a mandatory responsibility for their job requirements."
Yeah right, it probably also wasn't mandatory for the company to keep the employee who turned down the voice acting work.

johntown

Banned
I thought the voice sounded different in BL3. I guess the Epic store cut and all the mtx in the game don't go to any of the creators?

TeamGhobad

Banned
didn't notice a voice change in claptrap, but troy would be kinda expensive not sure how big the part is though. i just hope fiona comes back.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I'm sure any PR Randy has to deal with is just facepalming or fuming right about now.

There's a reason why Sarah Sanders (The current White House Press Secretary) stopped doing conferences /sigh

Dontero

Banned
I like how people believe pitchford is like goblin pissing into everyone cake just out of spite.
Aliens game is dead. Let it go.

I see no reason why he doesn't speak truth here. Eddings probably wanted extra money considering Claptrap star power and Pitchford said nope and hired someone else.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I like how people believe pitchford is like goblin pissing into everyone cake just out of spite.
Aliens game is dead. Let it go.
I mean....a consensus of information has to be drawn from SOMEWHERE....
I see no reason why he doesn't speak truth here. Eddings probably wanted extra money considering Claptrap star power and Pitchford said nope and hired someone else.
He may not know the direct truth; people higher up the chain typically don't as they delegate it out to the proper resources.

Also, when it is mentioned that "He was offered 2x scale," is ambiguous at best. What scale is being used? Who determines that scale?

If we assume he means market value for that sort of labor, was he previously paid as an entry level in that position? Or how did they view him specifically in his position? I think we can all agree doubling your rate is awesome, but if you can go do the same job, more pay, and less work, why wouldn't you hop off the boat and say "See ya!"

Then, their official response says he was offered an standard industry rate once off payroll? Their official response contradicts their own brass; at that point I won't believe either party until irrefutable evidence is offered to support either claim. And I'm not even talking against two differing parties; PR and Randy work for the same company and can't keep their story straight.

Then comes into question, why even release an article stating "Oh we offer people ample pay, and offer VO work as a fun addition, it's not mandatory!" to me, working in offices, it's essentially saying "We're going to look at you less than the other person doing this free VO work, because they saved us money from hiring an actor."

A big key factor of what Gearbox is saying and what that fosters in a work place, is that they don't say
"And we compensate those employees doing VO work," even if it is something like a bonus, or maybe some perks etc.
They ONLY say that it's not a requirement of their job, and I call bull shit on that, as extracurricular tasks at work 100% affect your over all performance score, even if it is a "hidden metric," based upon how certain people feel about you in general.

"It's not a requirement you show up to this Microsoft training session from our rep, because you have Windows certifications, but it would be encouraged," is some shit I hear way too often to not know that stupid fucking ball game.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Pitchford should really stop using Twitter in a personal capacity.

However, I think he may be in the right here. Pixar has done this, using already-working employees for character voices (Heimlich the caterpillar, or Roz in Monsters Inc. -- correct me if I'm wrong). I have no idea if they're paid extra for this work, but I wouldn't expect them to be. When you're hired on a salaried basis, you figure you're there for whatever the company needs during work hours. If you start getting loaded up with more responsibility than one person should have to handle, you can ask for a raise or look for another solution with your boss; but there's no guarantee. The company could just decide to leave things as they are, and then it's up to you to keep working or leave.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
From what I have heard both are absolute pricks, and despised by the people who work(ed) for them, but Eddings was fired for a good reason.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Pitchford should really stop using Twitter in a personal capacity.
Agreed

When you're hired on a salaried basis, you figure you're there for whatever the company needs during work hours.
This is nothing but the furthest thing of the truth; if you view your job that way, or your employer does, you need to desperately find a new company or maybe re-evaluate you current job beliefs.

I would NEVER encourage this for any of my past employees or current coworkers.

Why not get paid for the work you're doing? If a company is going to essentially make you a manager, get paid for manager work. If not, the company is literally cheating you out of money, and is 100% knowing they doing it.

Like a business is going to go out of it's way to spend money to save you labor/trouble in your personal life?

You keep your employers to your employment contract, and if they try to hassle you about it, you 100% have federal rights that can protect you against most of the dumb shit they try to pull.

EDIT: On the note of any of my past employees, I always encouraged them that if they felt they deserved a pay raise, to create me something like a power point presentation based upon facts to take into consideration. You justify your pay raise to me, I don't justify a pay raise to you.

Last edited:

Salvatron

"He was offered 2x scale - twice union rates. He refused the offer." Given how much nickel and diming goes on in this industry, this is still probably incredibly low for such a staple character of the series. Claptrap kind of sets the entire tone of the grating self-referential irony-laden observational/sort of funny, but not really funny kind of obnoxious humor borderlands is known for.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Never assume malice where incompetence will do. Explains just about every story revolving around Pitchford. I'm sure he's good at some things but being the public-facing side of a company isn't it. They need to take away his twitter and stop letting him do interviews. Info about their company and games can be distributed by professionals instead.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Pitchford and Sweeney, oh boy what i could do to them......

6YrE.gif

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Wait...so we're buying this game still though, right?
I mean I'll still buy it; any company gonna have some bad eggs. Some with larger voices than others.

Unless he does something straight out illegal, no reason to harm the rest of the company because someone has a big mouth
Could you guys imagine me being the dude who has a big mouth that gets him into trouble a lot? Because I'm totally that guy

The Skull

I use to try and wrap my head around all the lies and shit Pitchford comes out with but now I just sit back and laugh. The idiot is providing almost daily entertainment.

Vawn

Banned
Hope no one on this board is dumb enough to buy this game.

I'm not buying it because I don't really like Borderlands. However, if I wanted it, of course I would buy it.

I refuse to participate in outrage culture and boycott something I am interested in, made possible by hundreds of people just because I was triggered by one person's comments.

down 2 orth

So weird to see a company that systematically fucks up everything it does stay afloat with a runaway success. Its almost interesting to see how long it can sustain itself.

I mean Randy also said the guy who voiced Rhys from Tales of the Borderlands turned it down which the actor denies ever happened. So once again I'm hesitant to believe Randy "cosmetics aren't microtransactions" Pitchford.

Top Bottom