• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions/Problems with Destiny 2

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Valt7786

You're on the hunt for guns with what they call "God Rolls", when it drops with 2 particularly good perks, for example, Rampage and Outlaw is a good combo, so if you find that gun, you keep it, and feed it any higher level guns you get to keep it up to par. It's not really worth upgrading things until you hit the "soft cap" in power level.

As for the strike problem...thats just something you gotta deal with going into strikes with matchmaking. Sometimes you'll get a balanced team, sometimes you'll get a Goku who wipes it for you.

zeorhymer

Weapons have randomized perks once again. So having a "god roll" gun would be in your best interest to keep and level them up by breaking down higher level gear that you don't use. It's the same with armor.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This has always kinda been the case though, even in the first game you'd just rush to the boss in the strike as fast as possible, and since you know all the phases, you also bring things to just burst it down each "immune" phase, get rid of the adds, repeat.
I remember doing to "will of crota" strike in the first game exactly that way.

And legendary weapons, there are some that are just really good, also depending on the perks you get on them. When they got rid of all the old equipment in D2 with beyond light, I actually used some older legendaries for quite a bit, even though I had "stronger" newer drops.
Exotics are a thing on their own, some have effects that are just downright amazing, like coldheart, and some are less useful but still fill some niche like hard light.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
You're on the hunt for guns with what they call "God Rolls", when it drops with 2 particularly good perks, for example, Rampage and Outlaw is a good combo, so if you find that gun, you keep it, and feed it any higher level guns you get to keep it up to par. It's not really worth upgrading things until you hit the "soft cap" in power level.

As for the strike problem...thats just something you gotta deal with going into strikes with matchmaking. Sometimes you'll get a balanced team, sometimes you'll get a Goku who wipes it for you.

Weapons have randomized perks once again. So having a "god roll" gun would be in your best interest to keep and level them up by breaking down higher level gear that you don't use. It's the same with armor.
Care to expand on what the god rolls would be? Rampage and Outlaw on a gun is a good start. Does it matter what kind of gun? What about Titan Armor?

zeorhymer

Care to expand on what the god rolls would be? Rampage and Outlaw on a gun is a good start. Does it matter what kind of gun? What about Titan Armor?
It depends on the gun. Like Fusion rifles would be charge time or back in the day, triple tap on scouts, extra rockets on reload, etc. It's been a while since I played so I'm not current with any new perks.

HoodWinked

God rolls on guns can be tricky since there are so many combinations of perks. If you look up the gun in light.gg you can see the most popular which is a decent indicator of what's good for a particular gun.

For armor it's a little easier try to get armor with highest stats on recovery and intelligence. With over 60 total stats. For titans resilience also reduces barricade cool down.

scaling pretty much makes PVE pointless other than level gating. Its better now than the first 2 years tho. I remember playing the game at launch. And "power level" 20 or 200 feel exactly the same. Doesn't matter what ur level is. Those grunts on EDZ take the same amount of work to kill
its dumb

The real use for loot is to bring into PVP.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The thing about scaling isn't entirely true, yes your overall level gets shifted around depending on the area/activity, but the enemies will show an icon above them to indicate in what level range you are, if it's blank you do more/receive less damage than if it's red.
This is also true for leveling beyond the enemy level, though overall level and weapon level are calculated separately, so a gun that's 20 levels above the activity level, will still do more damage than a gun that is at the same level; it is capped though, so 60 levels above won't matter.

I believe the only place where this isn't true are the "heroic" activities, there you get no advantage even if overleveled.

Dynasty8

Game is definitely fun, don't listen to the haters who stopped playing during the first month.

The game has been massively improved. I would recommend also downloading the app and finding an LFG Fireteam to run 3 player dungeons or 6 player raids with (make sure they know you are new). These activities are some of the best fun I've ever had in gaming in all my years.

Bungie designed the level grinding and loot so you actually play with a variety of weapons, perks, mods etc. At your level just swap out to equip the most powerful, as you progress you will learn what deals better damage to certain enemies or strike/nightfall enemies and bosses. As you go through all that you'll find what weapons and setups you like most personally, stick with those and upgrade them only when you're past the soft power cap and pushing over the limits by dismantling to upgrade etc.

There are a lot of LFG and decent people out there in Destiny. Start with LFG, then look for a clan, message people in the tower and it is way more fun in a fireteam overall. Also if you join a clan you'll likely get free decent loot weekly to level quicker. The art and experience of Destiny 2 is something else and stands in a classic Bungie immersion few gamse do. If you get a Goku doing work then enjoy the sights or just follow them keeping pace as best you can. They'll lead you to all sorts of goods and grinding upwards.

Also try Gambit, a solid take on PvEvP, a coop with some splashes of multiplayer and a sort of race from one coop team against another. Good fun for awhile. Enjoy the various modes of Destiny, with the free editon you'll likely get sick of repeat content pretty quick anyhow.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
When you reach max light level for the season, having a good arsenal of legendary equipment (guns and armor) is good for swapping them out given the activity. Some are good for PvP, some better for specific dungeons / raids, some favorable for that PvEvP mode who's name escapes me.

The problem is one has to find max light level gear to sacrifice to level up the legendary gear (again, the name of the process escapes me). All together - reaching max light level then grinding for gear to sacrifice - turns D2 into a massive grind. And this is if people don't want to try to advance in PvP and PvPvE, both of which can consume hours upon hours just to climb the ladders a little, even if you're very good at it and win a vast majority of matches.

Lanrutcon

The game is fun for a bit. It's incredibly grindy, repetitive and doesn't really give a shit about your time. I recommend anyone give it a try for like, a month. That's enough time to see everything the game has to offer.

Vtecomega

Banned
I don't know but everytime I reinstall Destiny 2 just to see if any further improvements have been made I end up deleting it 30 seconds later. It's fucking god awful. The same fucking legendary items just re skinned, the same cut and paste level design. Generic art style. God boring quests and characters I don't give a shit about.

But above all that there's something about Destiny 2 that is so incredibly bland. The tacky awful effects of the taken is one example. It just looks so fucking bland and unimaginative. It's like this designers thougth to themselves, fuck it lets just reskin Destiny standard enemies but paint them black and call it a day.

The mission structure sucks and lacks any real set piece moments. There's no matchmaking for most of the content so if you're an antisocial cunt like myself and can't be fucked joining a forum just to find a group of people to play with then you miss out on all the decent content and gear. The whole design philosophy of Destiny 2 is just generic crap.

Last edited:
The game is fun for a bit. It's incredibly grindy, repetitive and doesn't really give a shit about your time. I recommend anyone give it a try for like, a month. That's enough time to see everything the game has to offer.
it might be better to say that you'll get a feel for the game in a month but this is a live service game that is split into seasons/years and has its content rotated. it's designed to be played long term (years).

Lanrutcon

it might be better to say that you'll get a feel for the game in a month but this is a live service game that is split into seasons/years and has its content rotated. it's designed to be played long term (years).
Naw, I stand by what I said. They reskin shit like it's going out of fashion. Keep feeding you the same guns, the same enemies, the same activities with minor variations. Destiny 2 takes months to do anything truly new, and it's not worth playing unless you like the base experience because that's what they feed you over and over.

If you've shot one Cabal, you've shot them all. Doesn't matter how hard the game tries to rebrand it.

Yeah, yeah, year, another Destiny thread to complain about.

I'm playing the "free" version.

Many responses will be like, Why are you even playing?
It's a fair point, the free version is very gimped. I'm not even sure if there's a goal to aspire to in it.
If you want to get your shooter fix (as in, if it moves, shoot it), it can be fun. Very pretty graphics, and some decent intensity to the fire fights. Awesome locations to explore.

I have two main complaints. What's the point of Legendary weapons, or any particular weapon, if everything scales. Any weapon you have will be short-lived in the game, as you will always find weapons at your level, and then you will dump the previous weapon. Enemies scale. All the scaling, just makes the progression feel pointless. I'm constantly upgrading my armor and weapons since constantly finding higher level gear matching my constant leveling. Or am I missing something here?
Once you know what you're doing you will want particular weapons of various archetypes with certain perk combinations to fit in with the RPG style builds. Or you're just chasing something that some YouTuber has declared OP.
Now you think that since they make such a big deal to match your weapons with enemies at a similar level, that in the Strikes (which involves teams of 3), and I get randoms because I have no friends, I get some odd pairings. Me at my level, and another guy at my level, and another guy at OVER 9000 (not really, it's a DBZ joke, but crazy crazy high level over me).

You can tell, these guys have played the Strike before, because they jump right away on their hover bikes, and race off into the distance, while I'm trying to get my bearings. I stupidly try to kill the local enemies, before realizing I'm supposed to be elsewhere. So it's on my hover bike, and race off to join the others. Finally join them, and get a few kills (starting to feel like I'm on this team and contributing), and then they are off again on their hover bikes to race to another location that I know nothing about. So I chase after them and try to keep up.

Final boss time, and the guy who's over 9000!!!, has killed the boss in very short order.

How do I feel? Did I feel I was part of the team? They then display the Strike stats, and the top guy has over 200 kills, while I had 22 kills! You think it felt like a challenge? I could've hung back, and watched this guy who has probably played this Strike hundreds of times, do it all on his own.

I notice you can't get in on a Strike on your own, which I would really enjoy, even though it would be a challenge to get through it. The game automatically matches you with others. Maybe there is a way?
You're very right on all of this. Terrible experience for a new player. If you're on PC go download something called "Destiny 2 Solo Enabler". If you're not, well then I don't know. But the Strikes playlist is actually pretty terrible teaching you the Strike mechanics. Even if you're good at the game, when a new Strike comes out you won't understand it until you try the Nightfall variant on a high difficulty setting. Because most of the designed mechanics for completing the Strikes are skipped or rendered irrelevant because at the base levels people just blast through them. And at most only one person needs to understand the mechanics. Usually zero.

Oh, if you do try solo Strikes with the Solo Enabler, do yourself a solid and quit out if you get "The Corrupted". That one is pretty challenging solo even if you're good at the game and have decent builds

Exploring the "levels" (outside of the Strikes), and finding a large group of enemies to take on, can be fun. There I used that word. Fun. Yes Destiny 2 actually has moments of fun. As opposed to these guys who are addicted to playing the same mind-numbing Strike over and over again for better gear. That compulsion can't be much fun.

Good for Bungie, that they figured out a way to make big bucks, but overall a fun game is not one of them. Especially with their convoluted, confusing and meaningless story line.

For a company that can create such beautiful imaginative worlds, it's a crying shame that such talent is wasted on such a shallow game.

Yes, this post actually proves that some neogaf members actually play games. :)
There is more difficult content that people are going for. I think the PVP in Destiny is complete trash. But I enjoy the Raids and the Grandmaster Nightfall stuff. But it is a grindy game, and you either like grindy games or you don't.

skneogaf

I spent a lot of money on destiny 2 but one of the bigger dlc's to happen I wasn't able to get round yo finishing it and when another dlc came out the game had finished the previous dlc that I was playing for me and moved me on to the new storyline.

I have absolutely no idea where I'm up to so haven't got back to it.

I had at least two years worth of play time and a fair bit if money put in.

I'd prefer the game to let a person start from the beginning like at the release date and do everything in release date order.

V4skunk

Banned
Yeah, yeah, year, another Destiny thread to complain about.

I'm playing the "free" version.

Many responses will be like, Why are you even playing?

If you want to get your shooter fix (as in, if it moves, shoot it), it can be fun. Very pretty graphics, and some decent intensity to the fire fights. Awesome locations to explore.

I have two main complaints. What's the point of Legendary weapons, or any particular weapon, if everything scales. Any weapon you have will be short-lived in the game, as you will always find weapons at your level, and then you will dump the previous weapon. Enemies scale. All the scaling, just makes the progression feel pointless. I'm constantly upgrading my armor and weapons since constantly finding higher level gear matching my constant leveling. Or am I missing something here?

Now you think that since they make such a big deal to match your weapons with enemies at a similar level, that in the Strikes (which involves teams of 3), and I get randoms because I have no friends, I get some odd pairings. Me at my level, and another guy at my level, and another guy at OVER 9000 (not really, it's a DBZ joke, but crazy crazy high level over me).

You can tell, these guys have played the Strike before, because they jump right away on their hover bikes, and race off into the distance, while I'm trying to get my bearings. I stupidly try to kill the local enemies, before realizing I'm supposed to be elsewhere. So it's on my hover bike, and race off to join the others. Finally join them, and get a few kills (starting to feel like I'm on this team and contributing), and then they are off again on their hover bikes to race to another location that I know nothing about. So I chase after them and try to keep up.

Final boss time, and the guy who's over 9000!!!, has killed the boss in very short order.

How do I feel? Did I feel I was part of the team? They then display the Strike stats, and the top guy has over 200 kills, while I had 22 kills! You think it felt like a challenge? I could've hung back, and watched this guy who has probably played this Strike hundreds of times, do it all on his own.

I notice you can't get in on a Strike on your own, which I would really enjoy, even though it would be a challenge to get through it. The game automatically matches you with others. Maybe there is a way?

Exploring the "levels" (outside of the Strikes), and finding a large group of enemies to take on, can be fun. There I used that word. Fun. Yes Destiny 2 actually has moments of fun. As opposed to these guys who are addicted to playing the same mind-numbing Strike over and over again for better gear. That compulsion can't be much fun.

Good for Bungie, that they figured out a way to make big bucks, but overall a fun game is not one of them. Especially with their convoluted, confusing and meaningless story line.

For a company that can create such beautiful imaginative worlds, it's a crying shame that such talent is wasted on such a shallow game.

Yes, this post actually proves that some neogaf members actually play games. :)
If you are only killing 20 enemies your self i doubt you will finish i strike by your self.
If you don't understand how legendary weapons are the best i don't think explaining it to you will help you understand.

Why are you justifying yourself OP? Play whatever game you want. If you're having fun what does it matter what haters think? Many people have a huge hate boner for destiny. Specially here on GAF.
Having said that, if you don't want to run missions like strikes multiple times this game is probably not for you.

Destiny 2 is AMAZING.

I don't know but everytime I reinstall Destiny 2 just to see if any further improvements have been made I end up deleting it 30 seconds later. It's fucking god awful. The same fucking legendary items just re skinned, the same cut and paste level design. Generic art style. God boring quests and characters I don't give a shit about.

But above all that there's something about Destiny 2 that is so incredibly bland. The tacky awful effects of the taken is one example. It just looks so fucking bland and unimaginative. It's like this designers thougth to themselves, fuck it lets just reskin Destiny standard enemies but paint them black and call it a day.

The mission structure sucks and lacks any real set piece moments. There's no matchmaking for most of the content so if you're an antisocial cunt like myself and can't be fucked joining a forum just to find a group of people to play with then you miss out on all the decent content and gear. The whole design philosophy of Destiny 2 is just generic crap.

Destiny 2 just lacks creative talent and laziness.
This is one of the worst takes about destiny and one I see it often around here. Taken have unique abilities and are nothing like the enemies they originate from. They only share the same overall appearance.

The only activities without matchmaking are raids and harder versions of the nightfall. And trust me, you don't want to play those with randoms.
"Most content" does have matchmaking. And now with crossplay it's even easier to find people to play with.

There are tons of new legendary weapons. They have been introducing new weapons and new perks with every season. What makes legendary weapons unique is the combination of perks.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I have come to believe that people who like Destiny are just people who have never gotten hooked on a loot game before and therefore never went through the process of being extremely addicted to loot to then overcoming the loot addiction. Because other than the addiction loop and the Bungie shooting mechanics, the entire rest of the game is pure garbage.

Freeman76

Ive not had as much fun playing Destiny since Taken King, and even though its not popular opinion for me personally its as good as its ever been, if not better.

There is a nice variety of systems to get into, bounties and quests are pretty fun, it has some deeper elements if you want to min/max, and generally I have a lot of fun when playing, its hard to turn it off.

Im always looking to fill the void left by PSO, this is probably the closest I will get (PSO2 and NGS didnt really cut it).

My only real issues are the removal of content and gear but I can live with that as its understandable, the game is huge, plays smooth as fuck on Series X, and probably cant keep adding shit to it without affecting performance.

Ill get a few ppl quoting this to tell me how wrong I am, I know many gaffers hate D2, but for me its in a good spot! Enjoy

Last edited:
All my problems with D2 stopped when I uninstalled it.

Live service games are just no good for me I guess as they become more of a chore than something enjoyable. YMMV of course and I can totally understand why people play it.

Please Bungie make a Halo killer with some of that Destiny money.

V4skunk

Banned
Destiny had huge potential!
But they ruined it with shitty expansion packs with 15 mins of content!
The levels/maps Bungie make are really good, the feel of shooting is amazing but everything else is shit.
We should have also had Destiny3 on a new engine by now and nothing.

Top Bottom