• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 full specs and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

no way. 500 for wired, inside out mainstream headset that requires ps5? too much
The Valve Index cost $1000 and didn't even have inside out tracking. And it required a PC, which usually costs twice as much (or more) as a PS5.

PC + Valve Index = ~ $2000+
PS5 + PS5 VR = $900 / $1000

And remember PSVR in 2016 launched at $400 but didn't include controllers or the required camera.

PSVR = $400 + $60 camera + $100 Move controllers = $560 total back in 2016.

So PS5 VR at $500 with the controllers included would actually be a price reduction from last gen.

Its going to be marketed as a premium accessory for the PS5. Not some cheap standalone thing like the Quest. And Sony's headset will be using better, newer tech than the Index. Like inside out tracking.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Interesting, I wonder if they will be pushing to get this out the door for GT 7 release. The last time I could see figures were 5 million PSVR attached to 106 million PS4. So extrapolated that's roughly 1:21

We're up to ?15 million? PS5 now, so that would mean demand for a nextgen unit considering supply constraints would be less than a million units. I think that's doable personally. Even if you offset a 10% demand increase for early adopters.

I guess the question is do you jump onboard with the Gen1 VR2 or wait for the revision?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Apple entering the market will be huuuuge for VR, and bad news for everyone else that’s not Facebook.
I don't see a great use case for apple doing VR headsets. They'll probably be making holographic AR / MR because those have the potential to be lifestyle mass products like smartphones and smartwatches.
VR has little use outside gaming and training. It's not very interesting to apple.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm excited about this hardware and it should be stated, it has an uphill battle of sorts.
Strike one is it being wired, strike 2 could be it's price (will see), strike 3 is that its not stand alone. (Much smaller group of potential buyers)

Glad to hear sony is thinking straight on the games though, if they can effectively add a vr mode to aaa games this will help.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sure if it was a name problem. Wasn't it more expensive and had less games? Loved my PSP, but was never tempted to ge a Vita.
I am sorry but in a way…your loss. It was not super cheap but neither was PSP at launch. It did not have the same wow factor PSP did when you first booted Ridge Racer, but few new HW is able to do that, still you would soon feel why those who gave it an open chance really saw the potential of it :).

It was the best place to play PSP and PS1 games due to the beautiful new OLED panel (Soul Reaver, Blood Omen, SotN, etc…) . games like Crazy Taxy, Genesis Collection, Vice City Stories, etc… took a new life on the new panel (you had different color options, one would get you nicely saturated looks perfect for those games). They did a great job with BC and even supporting homebrew (offering a custom version of Unity and an open SDK), it shows how much people care about BC and homebrew and how much they use it for warring… :/…

That is on top of games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss (I liked the accelerometer aiming assisted gameplay, but visually it was a spectacle for the eyes), Gravity Rush, Killzone: Mercenaries (top PS3 level visuals on a handheld), and other niceties such as remote play… and a super smooth and fully featured OS (I understand if you think that a much more powerful HW like Switch needs a barebone OS to feel smooth and responsive without other comparison points but Nintendo handhelds ;)). You missed out on a very well designed HW and a lot of great games… oh well…

Last edited:
I am sorry but in a way…your loss. It was not super cheap but neither was PSP at launch. It did not have the same wow factor PSP did when you first booted Ridge Racer, but few new HW is able to do that, still you would soon feel why those who gave it an open chance really saw the potential of it :).

It was the best place to play PSP and PS1 games due to the beautiful new OLED panel (Soul Reaver, Blood Omen, SotN, etc…) . games like Crazy Taxy, Genesis Collection, Vice City Stories, etc… took a new life on the new panel (you had different color options, one would get you nicely saturated looks perfect for those games). They did a great job with BC and even supporting homebrew (offering a custom version of Unity and an open SDK), it shows how much people care about BC and homebrew and how much they use it for warring… :/…

That is on top of games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss (I liked the accelerometer aiming assisted gameplay, but visually it was a spectacle for the eyes), Gravity Rush, Killzone: Mercenaries (top PS3 level visuals on a handheld), and other niceties such as remote play… and a super smooth and fully featured OS (I understand if you think that a much more powerful HW like Switch needs a barebone OS to feel smooth and responsive without other comparison points but Nintendo handhelds ;)). You missed out on a very well designed HW and a lot of great games… oh well…
I was more than happy with my 3DS at that time. Graphics were much worse, but many great games and i liked the concept. A friend had the Vita. Great graphics and that screen was sexy AF, but it felt like more of the same while the 3DS really impressed me. Maybe i grab one for the collection if i find it for cheap on some flea market. I like your passion for that device.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Valve Index cost $1000 and didn't even have inside out tracking. And it required a PC, which usually costs twice as much (or more) as a PS5.

PC + Valve Index = ~ $2000+
PS5 + PS5 VR = $900 / $1000

And remember PSVR in 2016 launched at $400 but didn't include controllers or the required camera.

PSVR = $400 + $60 camera + $100 Move controllers = $560 total back in 2016.

So PS5 VR at $500 with the controllers included would actually be a price reduction from last gen.

Its going to be marketed as a premium accessory for the PS5. Not some cheap standalone thing like the Quest. And Sony's headset will be using better, newer tech than the Index. Like inside out tracking.
Index is MORE expensive because it has those tracking laser stations.
Inside out is much cheaper.
Quest 2 set a new price standard. psvr2 can't be much more expensive. 500 is really max I would expect them but hope it's less

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was more than happy with my 3DS at that time. Graphics were much worse, but many great games and i liked the concept. A friend had the Vita. Great graphics and that screen was sexy AF, but it felt like more of the same while the 3DS really impressed me. Maybe i grab one for the collection if i find it for cheap on some flea market. I like your passion for that device.
I liked my 3DS too, playing OoT sold me on the concept, I am so glad I can see the 3D effect… always wondered if a 3DS XL would have made sense, if 3D looked that much better on it (maybe a well kept used model one day…). Cannot wait to play more Nintendo games in real 3D or VR. Some great gems, especially a taste of BC for us ambassadors :).

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Index is MORE expensive because it has those tracking laser stations.
Inside out is much cheaper.
Quest 2 set a new price standard. psvr2 can't be much more expensive. 500 is really max I would expect them but hope it's less
1. Inside out tracking without the need for external sensors / camers is better than the Index's setup. People don't want to setup shit around their room to play. So for less money its going to offer a better experience.

2. Quest 2 is mobile gaming. Not a real direct competitor. Its like saying a console/PC can't cost more than a phone. Sure people could probably buy a cheap tablet and play Fortnite and Minecraft, but millions would rather pay more and play on a console or desktop. Same thing here.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quest 2 is mobile gaming. Not a real direct competitor.

Its like saying a console/PC can't cost more than a phone.

Sure people could probably buy a cheap tablet and play Fortnite and Minecraft, but millions would rather pay more and play on a console or desktop.

Same thing here.
Not a real competitor ?!
Quest 2 is all the same that a pcvr headset has + internals
If YOu took out battery/cpu/gpu from quest 2, it could easily be psvr2

Last edited:

kyliethicc

But It is also a desktop headset as well as free standing.
Yeah but you still need a PC.

Desktop PC ~ $1200 + $300 Quest 2 = ~ $1500 total
PS5 $400/$500 + ~ $500 PS5 VR = ~ $900/$1000 total

And so sure the Quest as a PC headset costs less than what Sony's new headset will cost, but its lower spec too. Pay less, but get less. And its not wireless when being used with a PC, so its wired just like PS5 VR is. The Quest is like the budget PC VR headset. The Index is the premium PC VR headset. Sony is aiming for a premium PS5 VR headset. Lower cost than the Index, and higher spec than the Quest.

The people who just buy a Quest to use independent of a PC are like the people who play mobile games. There's millions of them and thats cool, but they're not really Sony's competitor or concern. Its not their primary intended market. Neither was that Valve's focus when selling the Index. Sony is trying to sell a very cool but fairly expensive accessory to PS5 owners. Its always gonna be a bit niche but its a solid extra revenue stream for Sony (and 3rd parties) and adds something unique to PlayStation that Nintendo and Xbox lack.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Quest 2 is mobile gaming. Not a real direct competitor.
b8edcfd6dd79720249b61853c178e8dca5-surejan.2x.h473.w710.jpg

FunkMiller

And so sure the Quest as a PC headset costs less than what Sony's new headset will cost, but its lower spec too. Pay less, but get less. And its not wireless when being used with a PC, so its wired just like PS5 VR is. The Quest is like the budget PC VR headset. The Index is the premium PC VR headset. Sony is aiming for a premium PS5 VR headset. Lower cost than the Index, and higher spec than the Quest.

Airlink has made PC VR completely wireless... but your point on the price stands. It's certainly more expensive to do PC VR with a Quest 2 than PSVR2 will be.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Whatever price, it’ll sell. Their phones are among the most expensive yet are the highest selling phones every single year.
Can’t deny your right regarding phones, I can’t see the same happening for VR but I’ll absolutely apologise to you if you’re right on this.
I really want mass support for VR, so the more units out there the better but cost of entry needs to be affordable.
Quest 2 is a marvellous piece of kit for the price of entry.
Gutted that PSVR2 won’t be wireless but there “may” be an accessory further down the line that achieves wireless capabilities, hey a man can dream right!?

kyliethicc

Wait isn't there no official specs yet?
Official from Sony:

- "dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity" from PSVR
- "everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience."
- "our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense"

And we've seen the controllers. This confirmed the headset is using inside out tracking.

"Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example."

And its obviously going to be similar to the current PSVR, but better. PSVR is a 1080p 120 Hz OLED with about a 100° FOV. So PS5 VR will have a higher resolution and wider FOV 120 Hz OLED display. And the leaked specs back this up and also mention headset haptics, HDR, and foveated rendering. Digital Foundry said they've been told the same thing and the leaks match. Plus we know it'll have great 3D audio.

Airlink has made PC VR completely wireless... but your point on the price stands. It's certainly more expensive to do PC VR with a Quest 2 than PSVR2 will be.
I didn't know that. Are there any reductions in fidelity or latency when playing wirelessly vs wired? And whats Airlink cost?

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why new games on PC VR still don't use foveated rendering?
Because PC market is a shit-show of fragmentation when it comes to implementing it - and that's just on rendering side. Not sure whether HMDs have agreed on a standard for the eye-tracking yet either.

Whatever price, it’ll sell.
Not without content it won't. Which is why Apple will likely position this as far away from entertainment as possible - I expect a 'wearable'/'accessory' thing that goes after the fictional 'Meta' market. Though if anyone's able to conjure up a new market there - it'll be Apple.

FunkMiller

I didn't know that. Are there any reductions in fidelity or latency when playing wirelessly vs wired? And whats Airlink cost?

My Airlink connection is more stable and faster than wired! You need a dedicated 5ghz router for it, but they are dirt cheap on eBay. No need for an internet connection either. AirLink is completely free.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Because no headsets have it? No APIs exist for it for devs to use as far as I know?

Starbreeze was supposedly creating their own VR headset with Foveated capabilities.
No idea what’s happened to that, not looked into it.
I just want Starbreeze to get to work on another Riddick game using todays tech.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Official from Sony:

It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and
PSVR2 will be neat for sure. But this gives me anxiety already. My PS5 currently sits loose on a gray plastic circle, and if I so much as breathe on it, the whole thing falls off of it d/t it's irregular shape. Just makes me wonder how much you'll really be able to move around with this thing.

FunkMiller

How can a wired connection be less stable?

The Oculus link cable isn't the best bit of kit, in my experience. Neither is the software Oculus provide. Airlink just seems to work better, and with less problems. Weird... but that's been my experience with it. As soon as Airlink became available, I stopped using my link cable completely. Half Life Alyx wireless was amazing. It's a totally different, and much better, experience.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I've yet to try it - but in all likelihood it uses the on-board hw for final tracking corrections(at least that's how I'd do it) - so you get 'local' headtracking latency, and remote everything else, which should be a good compromise in preserving important aspects of VR fidelity.

kyliethicc

The Oculus link cable isn't the best bit of kit, in my experience. Neither is the software Oculus provide. Airlink just seems to work better, and with less problems. Weird... but that's been my experience with it. As soon as Airlink became available, I stopped using my link cable completely. Half Life Alyx wireless was amazing. It's a totally different, and much better, experience.
So you played Alyx on a Quest not an Index?

FunkMiller

So you played Alyx on a Quest not an Index?

Yep. Amazing game, and experience. Most recently been playing the Lone Echo games, which are also fabulous. Being untethered is such a huge step up. I really do wish Sony had tried to find a way to make PSVR2 wireless. I'll probably still get it, but it feels more and more like an unnecessary thing to have a wire hanging off you the whole time.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yep. Amazing game, and experience. Most recently been playing the Lone Echo games, which are also fabulous. Being untethered is such a huge step up. I really do wish Sony had tried to find a way to make PSVR2 wireless. I'll probably still get it, but it feels more and more like an unnecessary thing to have a wire hanging off you the whole time.
Interesting. So I assume you still had to buy Valve's controllers?

KAL2006

Banned
I know people keep saying Sony should support PC with the new VR but that would make people use their accessory and play most of the same multiplatform games on PC. The margins for the hardware are probably very low. However another idea would be to allow people to use it with smartphones. The smartphone games wouldn't compete with console games.

Roni

Gold Member
Yeah, understandably wireless headsets like the Quest 2 is the hot thing now, but it's not a realistic option for Sony as it, of course, requires local processing. But for those mostly only into flight simulators and racing games etc; Cockpited games, the cable isn't much of an issue.
It's not just that, you can use the Quest 2 for PC VR. That makes something like Alyx playable in roomscale at a very affordable price.

Roni

Gold Member
I know people keep saying Sony should support PC with the new VR but that would make people use their accessory and play most of the same multiplatform games on PC. The margins for the hardware are probably very low. However another idea would be to allow people to use it with smartphones. The smartphone games wouldn't compete with console games.
you have that backwards: Sony would get a cut of the PC market beyond having the PS crowd cornered. They should even make the thing Mobile compatible.

Last edited:

The people who just buy a Quest to use independent of a PC are like the people who play mobile games. There's millions of them and thats cool, but they're not really Sony's competitor or concern. Its not their primary intended market. Neither was that Valve's focus when selling the Index. Sony is trying to sell a very cool but fairly expensive accessory to PS5 owners. Its always gonna be a bit niche but its a solid extra revenue stream for Sony (and 3rd parties) and adds something unique to PlayStation that Nintendo and Xbox lack.

I cannot imagine many people buying a PS5 just to get into its VR. I consider most of these premium headsets accessories to systems people already own. You can use quest on desktop wirelessly to very little sacrifice to quality.

KAL2006

Banned
you have that backwards: Sony would get a cut of the PC market beyond having the PS crowd cornered. They should even make the thing Mobile compatible.

It depends if they are selling PSVR at low margins they wouldn't really make a profit on the hardware. And as for games on PC, unless Sony published the games they wouldn't get a cut on the software. Alot of the VR games on PS4 are not published by Sony. They would rather you buy Tetris VR on PS5 than on Steam. Support for mobile makes more sense as that's a different market for smaller VR games and Sony themselves can release some small VR games for mobile.

KAL2006

Banned
They can easily make it wirless with an add-on. So PSVR 2 with wireless addon will be slightly more expensive for those that need wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom