• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSBlog: New details on Baldur’s Gate 3 character creation and companions, out September 6 (60FPS on PS5)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dungeons & Dragons is all about player freedom.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a big RPG. A great, big, uncompromising RPG! It shows in the numbers: more than 170 hours of cinematics and featuring three times more cinematic dialogue than all three The Lord of the Rings novels combined, a library of more than 600 spells and actions, and plenty more.

Dungeons & Dragons is all about player freedom – the freedom to define your character, to explore vast territories with your allies, and decide the fate of the world. We’ve spent the last six years bringing the unlimited freedom D&D is known for into the realm of video games. We’ve written two-million words of dialogue across the thousands of characters that populate the world of Faerûn, with an exhilarating story and in-depth character creation that puts you at the helm of the adventure. The dice may define your luck, but you define the story.

Originally due to launch on August 31, we’ve decided to release Baldur’s Gate 3 for PS5 on September 6. This brief delay allows us more time to achieve our ambition of 60 frames per second, thanks to the power of PlayStation 5. For those of you who purchased our gigantic Collector’s Edition (limited stock still available), don’t worry, we’ve got your back. We’ll be emailing you codes so you can jump in on September 3, at the start of the September 3 72-hour Early Access period that comes with the Deluxe Edition.

We’ve talked about how Baldur’s Gate 3 is an ambitious game, so let’s take a look at some of the features you can expect when it launches on September 6, or for those of you with the Deluxe Edition, September 3.

Create a character who looks like you, or make something completely different​

Whether you have the stature of a gnome or the muscle tone of a half-orc, it all begins with a hero. Character creation is such a central part of D&D, and in Baldur’s Gate 3, we wanted players to experience the same kind of freedom when shaping their own identity. Who you are, what you look like, and how you want to play is up to you. Define your body type, your age, and looks – right down to the highlights in your hair. Baldur’s Mouth will be writing about you, so it’s important you make a bold impression.

You steer the adventure. Well, a version of you based on your choice of Human, Dwarf, Githyanki, Elf, Drow, Tiefling, Halfling, Half-Elf, Gnome, Half-Orc, or Dragonborn. But how you appear doesn’t define who you are. That’s why we’ve 12 classes from D&D, including Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard, with a total of 46 subclasses between them for some extra spice and specialization. Or should you not want to choose, you can create a hybrid class through Multiclassing.

Get as macro or as micro as you like.

solidus12

Never forget
Ng0g4CX.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

Zuzu

This game is going to be huge with regards to content. From the blog post: "more than 170 hours of cinematics and featuring three times more cinematic dialogue than all three The Lord of the Rings novels combined, a library of more than 600 spells and actions, and plenty more."

:messenger_open_mouth:

Metnut

TOTK and FF16 are both GOTY in a normal year. Now add this and Starfield coming. Completely insane.

I won’t be able to dig into this game for a while, but it really looks excellent and is going to take another 100+ hours to go through.

170 hours of cinematics and featuring three times more cinematic dialogue than all three The Lord of the Rings novels combined
I don't even know if that is a positive or alarming negative feature considering how average to piss poor most of gaming writing is.

Kusarigama

Man time flies by so fast, I remember watching Sven Vincke announcing Baldur's Gate 3 way back in 2020 iirc or maybe 2019 and I was blown away. I didn't think that it could be done on PS4 with the fidelity that they showed. And now it is coming to PS5.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This game is going to be huge with regards to content. From the blog post: "more than 170 hours of cinematics and featuring three times more cinematic dialogue than all three The Lord of the Rings novels combined, a library of more than 600 spells and actions, and plenty more."

:messenger_open_mouth:
170 hours of cinematics, what the fuck? How is that even possible?

This is Larian Studio, not your average AAA dev. You can trust them.
I don't know. If a writer or a team of writers is actually good enough for 170h of quality writing, then I would assume we should have heard about their best selling novels and also movie scripts already. Game writers are usually in that field because they are like series writers just good enough for the average grindy writing job and not doing well enough to have a novel published to some real success and get the probably more lucrative Michael Crichton, Steven King, John Grisham etc. movie deals, where they would not need to churn out that many words. Games writing is how it is for a reason, expecting anything than sub par writing is kinda wishful thinking especially when claiming insane amount of runtime like here.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't know. If a writer or a team of writers is actually good enough for 170h of quality writing, then I would assume we should have heard about their best selling novels and also movie scripts already. Game writers are usually in that field because they are like series writers just good enough for the average grindy writing job and not doing well enough to have a novel published to some real success and get the probably more lucrative Michael Crichton, Steven King, John Grisham etc. movie deals, where they would not need to churn out that many words. Games writing is how it is for a reason, expecting anything than sub par writing is kinda wishful thinking especially when claiming insane amount of runtime like here.
Have you ever played a Larian game? You can be confident, the writing is on point and well done. BG3 is already in early access so you can watch some videos and make your own mind with whats already available.

Top Bottom