• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Showcase |OT| (09/16/20 - 1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK / 6am AET)

Kagero

PS4 is 630$ in Canada

500$ for digital

I would guess most people here will be getting the one with the disc drive, for physical releases. On one hand, it is nice Sony is not giving us a 1:1 USD price

On the other hand, slightly more expensive than the One X at launch, but crossing the mental "599 vs 600$" barrier might have an effect on some consumers here

We are a small market, but still

:/ wish they matched MS here as well
Yo where did you find the price? I thought the XSX and PS5 are the same price. :(

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sony:
JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg
Well thats not gonna end well....
s_Death_3_254.png

Krisprolls

Banned
As some may know I’m an Xbox guy, but I’m not paying 100$ more for the XSX, compared to the PS5. Gives me the chance to play the great PS4 games as well, and the great PS5 games that will eventually arrive in a year or so.

Yes, I think PS5 DE is an awesome deal right now. And if you come from Xbox ecosystem, you get tons of hits for free with PS+ collection that you probably didn't play. Looks like it was made to make people switch.

Hinedorf

Banned
I am so fucking impressed...... took some notes as it went on

FF16 right out the gate wasting no time delivering the "Exclusive" knockout blow this one game = Console launch winner/Console buying title.

Exclusive #2 Spider Man wasting no time in stating the most obvious "Look what we have" - Not overly impressed with the game as I will expect a lot more meat on the bone compared to the first iteration which was light on content. Action looks smooth!

OMG HARRY POTTER GAME FUCKING OVER - Now ready to preorder the console. This for me is the console seller.

Demons Soul - haven't played, will buy and die gloriously From is as top tier as it gets

Hey Microdick Game pass.....you just got dunked on too. All the best games you couldn't play on a Microsoft console you can NOW PLAY on a Sony next gen console for pennies on the dollar. This wasn't a dunk this was...

HugePhysicalIzuthrush-max-1mb.gif

For the same price you can get shitty games or too many great games to ever be able to play.....are you a gamer or do you want to buy a shit console with green lighting?

Game over, cancel Christmas, kitchen is closed. If you're still into Microsoft you probably *suck at life.

*-Poster also sucks at life

Shmunter

Yes, I think PS5 DE is an awesome deal right now. And if you come from Xbox ecosystem, you get tons of hits for free with PS+ collection that you probably didn't play. Looks like it was made to make people switch.
XsS definitely feels either redundant or significantly overpriced in comparison to proper PS5 hardware. Changing price is too late, but maybe they can throw in a year of gamepass in a value attempt.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
XsS definitely feels either redundant or significantly overpriced in comparison to proper PS5 hardware. Changing price is too late, but maybe they can throw in a year of gamepass in a value attempt.

Yes, I mean, look at that list of games you get for free on top of a $399 next gen console :

God of War
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Remastered
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank
Days Gone
Until Dawn
inFamous Second Son
The Last Guardian
Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy 15
Fallout 4
Mortal Kombat X
Detroit Become Human
Battlefield 1
Batman Arkham Knight
Resident Evil VII Biohazard

Now imagine you come from Xbox and played none of them, top 5 are game of the year quality, the rest is pretty great... Gamepass can't match that at all right now. It's not close at all.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yes, I mean, look at that list of games you get for free on top of a $399 next gen console :

God of War
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Ratchet & Clank
Days Gone
Until Dawn
inFamous Second Son
The Last Guardian

Now imagine you come from Xbox and played none of them, top 4 are game of the year quality, the rest is pretty great... Even gamepass can't match that at all right now. It's not close at all.
Indeed, that instant collection of games is mind blowing for new owners. Going to dump those discs now ASAP.

LordOfChaos

EiFABY7XkAMUntP

Lol, as is tradition. Hope no one pays these guys.

Yo where did you find the price? I thought the XSX and PS5 are the same price. :(

USD price is the same, on the lowest price models they're both eating a similar 20ish dollars of the conversion, but Microsoft is eating more of the conversion on the X to hit 599

Last edited:

Kagero

EiFABY7XkAMUntP

Lol, as is tradition. Hope no one pays these guys.

USD price is the same, on the lowest price models they're both eating a similar 20ish dollars of the conversion, but Microsoft is eating more of the conversion on the X to hit 599
Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation. Damn you Sony!!!!!!

LordOfChaos

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation. Damn you Sony!!!!!!

Hey them absorbing 23 dollars on the DE and 30 dollars on the PS5 are better than we'd usually get, this is unusual as companies will usually tend to round up lol. It's just Microsoft is going even more ham and eating 60 dollars of the conversion on the X in Canada in particular.

Kagero

Hey them absorbing 23 dollars on the DE and 30 dollars on the PS5 are better than we'd usually get, this is unusual as companies will usually tend to round up lol. It's just Microsoft is going even more ham and eating 60 dollars of the conversion on the X in Canada in particular.
I suppose, but damn that’a confusing as heck to the average consumer.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Fuck just watched the show 8/10 very fucking solid. Jim "money hat" Ryan my boy!
god of war 2 next year holy fuck
Also digital ps5 at 399, series S is fucked. Kill it off phil

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

God of War
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank
Days Gone
Until Dawn
inFamous Second Son
The Last Guardian
Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy 15
Fallout 4
Mortal Kombat X
Detroit Become Human
Battlefield 1
Batman Arkham Knight

Now imagine you come from Xbox and played none of them, top 5 are game of the year quality, the rest is pretty great... Gamepass can't match that at all right now. It's not close at all.
I just caught up with the show, so with ps plus on PS 5 you get an those games? Can someone confirm the information here?

LarknThe4th

A very impressive showing from Sony, they have been the only one delivering during this awful summer

Imagine if things where normal(I know, i know but just indulge me) and their two shows where wrapped into one E3 press conference, would have been amazing

Krisprolls

Banned
I just caught up with the show, so with ps plus on PS 5 you get an those games? Can someone confirm the information here?

Yes, I confirm. It's absolutely huge if you're a Xbox owner wondering if you should switch, because you basically get multiple games of the year and hundreds of hours of the best games for free.

It's an instant gamepass killer for those people I'd say. Quality is on another level. Not the same solar system.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/21440388/playstation-plus-collection-ps5-ps4-games-titles

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Yes, I confirm. It's absolutely huge if you're a Xbox owner wondering if you should switch, because you basically get multiple games of the years and hundreds of hours of the best games for free.

It's an instant gamepass killer for those people I'd say. Quality is on another level.
Do you get all those games at launch or are they staggered from month to month?

iamvin22

Industry Verified

God of War
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank
Days Gone
Until Dawn
inFamous Second Son
The Last Guardian
Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy 15
Fallout 4
Mortal Kombat X
Detroit Become Human
Battlefield 1
Batman Arkham Knight

This a great post. An only Xbox or Nintendo gamer gets $399 model with ps+ will be rocked at the amount of quality those games have. Add the launch lineup and its a win win

BigLee74

Sorry guys.

Gamepass still looks like the far superior option. Remember that all MS games go on it. At £70 a title, that's now huge. Also, all EA Access games are on it too.

You may argue there are no new MS exclusives at launch of the new consoles, but with 20 studios working on them, they will come around soon enough.

PS5 DE price has given me food for thought though. Just need to see if there is room behind my TV to hide the ugly fucker.

Shmunter

Sorry guys.

Gamepass still looks like the far superior option. Remember that all MS games go on it. At £70 a title, that's now huge. Also, all EA Access games are on it too.

You may argue there are no new MS exclusives at launch of the new consoles, but with 20 studios working on them, they will come around soon enough.

PS5 DE price has given me food for thought though. Just need to see if there is room behind my TV to hide the ugly fucker.
Use it as a hat stand

ZywyPL

Banned
For someone who skipped this generation of consoles, PS5 looks to be a better offer right now, 399$ with PS+ Collection will get people like me occupied for quite a long time. Most of the PS5 games shown yesterday don't interest me tho, CoD looks fantastic, ridiculously over the top for my taste but still fantastic, it hurts me a bit every time the series is overlooked for its amazing mocap animations, they are IMO second to none (and at 60FPS!), beating even Ubisoft, Naughty Dog etc. DS looks amazing as well, don't know where the initial complains came from after the first reveal. And dunno why but the gameplay gave me the good old PSX vibes. Other than that, nothing new really, no HFW gameplay, GoW2 teaser, like wow, call me back when SSM decides to finally make something different, and sadly no GT7 :/ I want to know more about the upcoming career mode, the first glimpse looked like the good old, proper GT, but I guess the game isn't coming out in at least next 2 years so they're keeping that one for later. But overall that was rather good show, one of the best we saw this year IMO, no 2h BS, just straight up gameplays and info/announcements, this was the first console-related show in this year I didn't feel someone is wasting my time.

From the other, not so good news, turns out all games except R&C will be coming to PS4 anyway, so so much for "TRUE next-gen titles" narrative some folks here desperately tried to push, everyone with just a tiny bit of common sense knew that games made within 2-3 years time instead of their usual 5-7 will be rushed cross-gen titles with added RT effects, nothing more. Supposedly such state will last for 3-4 more years, so again, quite opposite of what Ryan said with the "we believe in generations" interview. And all that for 70-80€, IMO way too much for SP-only titles that can be beaten during the weekend and forgotten ever since. The DE is a really tough call, on one hand 399 for full-fat next-gen console looks like a no-brainer (and it looks so much better than the disc-based model IMO), but the games prices make the 499$ model actually looks way more attractive in the long term, I personally don't see a single reason to pay more than 15-25$ for a SP-only games, give me MP and/or co-op that greatly extend the time, then I'll gladly pay more, but close to a 100$ for 2-3 days of gameplay won't cut it for me.

Sorry guys.

Agree with this, getting a XSX day one because of game pass, currently on the fence about picking up a PS5DE as well. Although that PS+ free game list is tempting

pawel86ck

Banned
$499 + much cheaper used games is way more appealing to me than $399 + $70-80 games. I think very few people in my country (including diehard sony fans) will be able to afford buying PS5 games for full price. XSS + cheap gamepass will be definitely more popular.

thelastword

Banned
So tear-down when?
There is lots of time till November 12.....Got to leave somethings for later. There's the whole month of October and September is only halfway through.....I'm thinking the teardown is around the 28th of October or just before launch.....

FranXico

For someone who skipped this generation of consoles, PS5 looks to be a better offer right now, 399$ with PS+ Collection will get people like me occupied for quite a long time. Most of the PS5 games shown yesterday don't interest me tho, CoD looks fantastic, ridiculously over the top for my taste but still fantastic, it hurts me a bit every time the series is overlooked for its amazing mocap animations, they are IMO second to none (and at 60FPS!), beating even Ubisoft, Naughty Dog etc. DS looks amazing as well, don't know where the initial complains came from after the first reveal. And dunno why but the gameplay gave me the good old PSX vibes. Other than that, nothing new really, no HFW gameplay, GoW2 teaser, like wow, call me back when SSM decides to finally make something different, and sadly no GT7 :/ I want to know more about the upcoming career mode, the first glimpse looked like the good old, proper GT, but I guess the game isn't coming out in at least next 2 years so they're keeping that one for later. But overall that was rather good show, one of the best we saw this year IMO, no 2h BS, just straight up gameplays and info/announcements, this was the first console-related show in this year I didn't feel someone is wasting my time.

From the other, not so good news, turns out all games except R&C will be coming to PS4 anyway, so so much for "TRUE next-gen titles" narrative some folks here desperately tried to push, everyone with just a tiny bit of common sense knew that games made within 2-3 years time instead of their usual 5-7 will be rushed cross-gen titles with added RT effects, nothing more. Supposedly such state will last for 3-4 more years, so again, quite opposite of what Ryan said with the "we believe in generations" interview. And all that for 70-80€, IMO way too much for SP-only titles that can be beaten during the weekend and forgotten ever since. The DE is a really tough call, on one hand 399 for full-fat next-gen console looks like a no-brainer (and it looks so much better than the disc-based model IMO), but the games prices make the 499$ model actually looks way more attractive in the long term, I personally don't see a single reason to pay more than 15-25$ for a SP-only games, give me MP and/or co-op that greatly extend the time, then I'll gladly pay more, but close to a 100$ for 2-3 days of gameplay won't cut it for me.
If you skipped this gen on PS, the PS+ collection might indeed interest you, and the BC backlog will also be more attractive at a reasonable price.
But then again, why not just get a PS4 slim then? The price is boubd to drop soon.

Jerm411

Kind of a bizarre show, some incredible highs but some real WTF moments with Devil May Cry, FNAF, Oddworld, and Fortnite having time during the show...

Also their non messaging and then scattershot shit show of messaging / pre-orders didn’t help things.

Weird Keighly was breaking all their important news after the fact.....eh I guess it’s not too crazy considering he’s one of their media puppets.

Top Bottom